1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Stage48 Feedback & Suggestions VI

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Mr Waffle, Apr 2, 2014.

1. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    Hitting the wallet is always the best way to get what we wants.

I think that as long as we don't have a legit update from those who owns/run stage48, we should abstain from donating.

We're floating way too long in a confusing situation where we only suffer from lack of management without doing anything.

At least we need a talk.

2. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

Wow... that was almost 2 years ago. Not surprised, nothing has changed much. :awesome:

At one point I offered to buy this place, pay hosting, etc... But I guess nobody took me seriously...:lol:

And I guess nobodywil. :awesome: Oh well... got to cancel my Bluehost account. No need to have it, anymore. [hehe]

3. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    ^ yep, I was thinking the same thing. Some of the current conversation is eerily similar to what was being said two years ago.

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you guys, and there is nothing I can really do to solve this issue. It is up to the main admin, and he isn't showing up, so I am just as frustrated. I did look into what causes bandwidth issues, and it mainly comes down to three usual issues....

1) we have outgrown our bandwidth limits. I would love to say this is the issue, but I don't think the forum is any more active than before, in fact I think it is slightly less active. So I'm not sure this is the problem. Sure, we could add more bandwidth to the site, but would that really solve the issue in the long run?

2) excessive uploading of large sized photos and/or gifs. This could be a contributing factor, and you all know I am very militant about limiting the size of photos and media added to the forum. So hopefully people will take heed and be more mindful of the file sizes of the photos and gifs that they add. However, as much as I'd like to say this is the main issue, my suspicion is that it is not.

3) bots eating up the bandwidth. This is what I think might be the big issue. It is very easy for anyone to see how many bots are crawling around in the system at any given time. And any time I have checked it out, there are tons. In fact, when I checked just a few minutes ago, it said that there were 80 bots on the site. I dunno, but that seems a bit excessive to me. And it is usually a large amount like that every time I have checked. Of course this is an issue that needs to be dealt with internally, which brings us back to square one.

4. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

I had offer the help in the back end. I know of a better host but the admins don't REALLY care about this place (IMO). But to most I'm just a "shit disturber" and the admins NEVER took me seriously. Well that's fine, I'm not interested in helping anymore. I think it's time for me to move on and work on my own stuff.

I don't need a forum to belong to a "fandom". Just having a presence in the "fandom" is more than enough for me. I been here too long and got so much knowledge about this fandom to be wasted on a place like this.

Like @Cristafari and his blog. I get more info from his writing and experiences than stage. He's a more valuable resouce than stage as a whole. I'll just follow his blog instead and maybe go on my own.

5. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    New thing for today (yesterday) - domain registration ran out *snickers* If not for folks on A!O, I would be still waiting in the dark...

Place is too silent now.

Edit: funny thing - I can't use "Home" link at the top, as it redirects to domain www.stage48.net, which I don't have in my hosts file yet... LOL

6. Explorerdk

Explorerdk Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Well... Gora,. The team is working desperately to fix that issue.

But I can see the ironi yes :)

/Expdk

7. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    Humour is all we have left.

Why did nobody have the date of domain expiration in their calendar... :wtf:

OK, off to dinner, then in the evening I will sort out these "photo scans" I have.

8. ptakbfan

ptakbfan Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    watanaberika
    I'm relieved to be able to log in after a trick I saw on Twitter... But I wonder how many others will be willing or able to do such a thing to access the forum. And how many of those will give up once they see the forum is dead because nobody can find it anymore :(

Hopefully the domain is up again soon. It appears the grace period for domain re-registration can be between 1-2 weeks to a year :hmm:

9. DeJure

DeJure Member

Oshimen:
    imadamina
    Twitter:
    DeJureDM
    I feel like we have until when the next payment of that is due, and then it's lights out forever lol

10. ptakbfan

Oshimen:
    watanaberika
    Well it was around this time last year (June 14) Waffle did the last donation drive. So if there is no solution before then, guess that's it.

11. MrQazman

MrQazman Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Minami
    @rka tweeted that the domain is payed until june 2018

12. ptakbfan

Oshimen:
    watanaberika
    Interestingly, the name servers are through MyHosting.com, different from DreamHost.com, which is what it used to be. Wonder if he is switching hosts. Not sure under what other circumstances one would register a domain using a different service from the one used for the last several years.

13. ET920

ET920 Member

^ Under these circumstances, imagine the worst case scenario and built upon it. If there's access to the data, I'd update the latest backup (since now there is virtually no movement around) and get ready to migrate everything to another host. And probably a few things will have to change (like archiving threads without posts in the last 6 months and make them unavailable for bots). Maybe add a storage quota per user. And the galleries... who wants to see how Acchan looked back in 2006?

Of course, if donations are able to keep everything running including obsolete threads and pictures in black and white, be my guest :awesome:

14. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    ^ I would say that the most important part of the forum is the ability to see Acchan in 2006.

That's called history.

15. ET920

ET920 Member

Split the site in two then, stage48.net and backstage48.net~ Move all the obsolete stuff that's no longer 48G related there. If Acchan knew about this site she'd probably be thankful that it's no longer associated with 48G :awesome:

16. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    backstage48.net?

What would that site be dedicated to? Former AKB members such as Acchan or something?

17. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    This idea would mean so much coding, that even if someone would decide to pull this off, not only this would take several months, the cost would be large enough to pay for several years of high-end hosting, LOL.

18. ET920

ET920 Member

Not really, the simplest way would be to upload the same backup to two hosts, and from one you delete all the sections except the graduates ones, and from the other you delete all the graduates ones. Sure, all links would die between both sites, but you could create a redirection from one site to another ("This link no longer exists in Stage48.net. Would you like being redirected to Backstage48.net?" and vice versa for example). That is, if you want to make the site slimmer. You can also just archive threads that are dead (move them so that they are no longer available without being logged in). This prevents bots crawling them.

Bots like Yahoo!, Bing, Google, etc, crawl sites with good traffic and regular updates several times per week. Splitting the site would make bots crawl less pages here (and considering backstage48 would not be as popular as stage48, it would also be cheaper to maintain).

Weren't SNH48 subforums completely deleted because they were no longer affiliated with 48G? I got news, Acchan, Marikosama, Tomochin, etc, are no longer affiliated neither :shocku:

"History", as you call it, is only useful if the information is organized and can be accessed with ease. Who would read every single post in Acchan's thread nowadays? Every thread has a lot of data and very little information. If you could "matome" threads extracting information appreciated by the readers (aka, posts with likes, for example), it would make it much simpler for new users to browse them. Like, if you want to read about Miruki's first scandal, you just find the thread and read the relevant posts instead of having to browse through 15 pages of people supporting her mixed with those bashing her. "This" would require code, though.

(Edited: A quick look at "AKB48 News & Releases" shows that the first 3 pages got all the threads that have been created or modified during 2017. Then you got 23 pages of stuff that's no longer modified. The graduates section of the AKB48 group has almost a quarter million posts of people who used to be--or not--relevant to 48G but are no longer related to them).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  19. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    History is not just facts.

Better not touch the SNH48 topic, I was slightly pissed off not being able to find either Tang Min's thread or posts from it, as I was certain I have posted in such once.

backstage.net is a dumb idea: it would need to be essentially the same database (just like with Neowing and CDJapan) with added flags indicating to which "endpoint" (domain) given thread belongs. Splitting statically is not possible, as graduates are coming and going (think about Kikuchi Ayaka or Jo Eriko). Staff here better pray that AKS and NineStyle won't drink Brüderschaft again, as a lot of explaining would have to follow...

20. Explorerdk

Explorerdk Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Info...

I have registred stage48.org, if needed as an alternative, although in this situation that would need access to Site host Configs, to accept it as an Virtual Host alias for Stage48.net.

I work with hosting and will help with whatever is needed, I don't want this place to go down.

/Expdk
    Twitter: @Explorerdk