1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'General Nogizaka46 Discussion' started by ひめか, Apr 17, 2019.

1. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

I think it will be a nice way to steer discussion or exchange opinions with

. are nogi actually already hit their peak? especially in terms of music: sales-wise, reception-wise, and the number of fans.
    . or will there be more to come, even after top 1ki graduates?

I agree with the pattern mentioned by stecola and Nogi is likely already hit the wall in that regard. the challenge left is probably keeping their place among the elites, regular top 5 / top 10 in years to come,
    if there some that share optimism the second point i think it will quiet a challenge for mgmt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Conjyak

Conjyak Member

I agree with some things here but disagree with a lot. Your defintion of a filler song seems to be summer songs. Then if someone comes along and says their definition of a filler song is [winter] songs (that are slow and the mood matches the winter or whatever), would you have a problem with that? You pick summer, they pick winter. I don't see a difference or a reason for choosing either like that. I agree that putting Maiyan at default center would've dominated the rest of the group too much and management was smart to avoid that. You list Sakanatachi and Mukuchi Na Lion as good b-side songs. So it looks like you like slow songs and don't like fast songs. But you also say that currently they're doing "mature filler songs." It seems like your definition of filler songs is basically "songs you don't like." That's just personal preference.

I have personal preferences, too, regarding music. But to argue about the group's history and overall strategy and stuff by calling a huge bunch of their songs "filler"... By my personal preference, a huge bunch of Nogi songs are songs I don't care much about, too, actually, so we are alike there, but personal preference is obviously super subjective, so I can't describe the group's trajectory by my personal preference of their songs and neither can anyone else, either. The only way to try to be objective about their songs in regards to the group's strategy and trajectory is to look at stuff like sales numbers and the way management uses the song - do they use it at Kohaku (like Kimi No Nawa Kibou) and big music shows or concerts all the time, do they keep bringing it back, etc. Do fans vote for those songs during fan-vote segments, etc.

I agree that Nogizaka is entering an awkward time, of course. The transition from Naachan, Maiyan, and gen 1 to the next era is the biggest challenge to Nogizaka management ever. But I disagree on the details. Yes, they relied on gen 1 a lot in the past, which caused gen 2 to be shafted. But gen 3 was pushed well and they obviously are pushing gen 4 now. But gen 4 are not "sitting on top of" gen 3 and Sakamichi trainess are definitely not "stacked on top of" gen 4.

For the later gens joining, they have less attention on them relative to other fukujin/sembatsu to promote themselves, but now that the group overall is so big, they still do have a lot of venues to promote themselves. What I mean is, a new Nogi member today will have less air time than an established old gen fukujin member in front of them, sure; but that new Nogi member today has more overall exposure and venues to promote themselves than when that old gen fukujin member was only a new gen 1 back in the very early era of Nogi. Gen 3 and even now gen 4 are in the Sailor Moon musical. Management couldn't have dreamed of getting their gen 1s in the Sailor Moon musical only one year after Nogi debuted. Gen 3 had their own show for a while (Nobi Nobi Nogizaka?) and their own season of Nogibingo. There's also air time for all members in stuff like Showroom, a lot more radio appearances, etc. Also, you're saying how the newer gens keep replacing the older gens without giving people enough time to promote themselves. But... that's exactly how you help any member promote themselves - by at least temporarily giving them the spotlight over more established gens. They didn't do enough with gen 2, I agree with that, but to promote gen 3, they have to at least temporarily give more stuff to gen 3 than the older two, and now they at least temporarily give more stuff to gen 4 than the older three. Each gen was given extra time to promote themselves. I'm hoping you see the tension in the argument here: At one point you noted how new gens joining have a tough task because they're joining in the middle of a project. But then at another point you criticize how newer gens replace and "sit on top of" older gens. But... the latter is exactly the solution to the former! If the problem is that newer gens have a tough time joining in the middle of a project, then the solution is to temporarily give the spotlight to the newer gens. Management gives them a temporary push, and then like 1-2 years later "merges" them with the group as a whole.

I think the actual thing you're criticizing, other than gen 2 being shafted, is that they're recruiting new gens too quickly every time. I actually can somewhat agree with this. I think gen 2 was too quick. I think gen 3 was good timing. Gen 4, I'm not sure yet. IMHO the timing of recruiting gen 4 was fine, but the gen 4 push into front row and other official activities came earlier than I expected.

I agree that the transition from Maiyan and the other big gen 1 members to the next era will see plateauing of Nogi growth. Whether the next stable ground will be gen 2 or 3... or gen 4 ... Well, it seems the problem you have is that gen 4 has just come too quickly. I don't disagree that gen 4 has come quickly, but whether gen 2 and 3 is enough to be the stable ground for the next era without gen 4 OR whether adding gen 4 now will strengthen that future stable ground even more, I'm not sure. IMHO, I think the gen 4 strategy has so far worked out well for management.

IMO, the Asuka = dark thing is overrated, or overhyped. I don't think she's actually really "dark." She's sarcastic, sharp-tongued, good at banter, laughs a lot on camera. She wants to subvert expectations (that come from looking like a dainty doll), which is why she's sarcastic and says she's "dark," and probably also why she chose to play the drums. Compare that to Naachan. She's gone on big primetime talkshows and sat there hardly talking or making funny comments because she actually is that shy and isn't that good at banter (and lets Maiyan and Manatsu handle the talk). That's why that "Naachan needs to be protected" thing has stuck - it's actually kind of true, and I guess that's why management gave her the songs they gave her. Regarding Asuka's songs, Sing Out is kind of a separate thing (aiming for the Olympics, I imagine), and Hadashi was 100% aiming for that summer song thing, but Jikochu was designed for Asuka if you ask me. "Let's Be Self-Centered" is the meaning of the title, and while I don't think Asuka is self-centered, her sarcastic, anti-burikko, sharp-tongued persona goes with that title. I think the reason why Asuka has gotten summer songs is because she's gotten to the center position around the time there have been big graduations (Nanamin, Naachan) or big end-of-year projects (Asahinagu), so management for whatever reason doesn't want to give Asuka a solo center during the winter. But they want to give her a center, so they give the summer one to her. This also ends up with that fan theory of "whenever Asuka centers a song, the next one is a big grad song," - that's just because Asuka tends to center summer songs and big graduations/projects tend to be winter to sync up with Kohaku and other end-of-year stuff. I don't think giving Asuka a "dark" song will necessarily mean the song will be better than her happy songs. But I do think that repeatedly giving a member the same season when she's center does leave an odd feeling. A variety of songs is obviously better.

While I kinda agree about Misa, Marika, and Yuttan, they're all in Nogi LLC and doing fine, and they did a lot of stuff while in Nogi, too. Misa is an exclusive model for a magazine, Marika did a solo art exhibit, and Yuttan has co-MCed a radio show since the 5th single or so.

I also am a gen 1 fan, but I still do think they've done a good job of incorporating new gens overall. But ya, there's a difference between Bananaman bringing out the qualities of a member, which they had a lot of time to do for gen 1, and no Bananaman doing that on other shows and venues.

I think I agree. Any music production record label company talent agency or whatever can hold auditions and recruit a group of good-looking girls. That's why so many idol groups exist. The difference is whether that group can become more than that, more than just a group of good-looking girls. That's why Nogi is so successful, because they achieved "more than just a group of good-looking girls," whatever that is. Without the older gens, the rest of Nogi would be like any other group of good-looking girls that we don't know of that has been recruited by a company. The older gens of Nogi absolutely do keep the boat afloat in that sense. Transitioning from the older gens to younger gens as the older gens graduate is necessary, of course - the question is just how well can management do it. The most important members from the beginning, like Maiyan, Manatsu, Sayurin, Nanamin, Kazumin, Naachan, Ikuchan, Ikoma - I count 4/7 of those as starting out already as older syster-type members. Maiyan, Nanamin, and Sayurin were post-high school by the 1st single, and I think Manatsu also joined after she finished high school(?). When Nogi was in its growth phase up to before gen 3 joined, almost all of the fukujin were in their 20s IIRC. Nogi has been historically pulled forward by its older sister-type members, who are college-aged and older. Transitioning to the next generations is super important, but if you just try to let all the older gens graduate quickly, you're left with nothing but just another group of good-looking girls, which in show business I imagine is a dime a dozen.

Honestly, anything can happen. As others have noted, Keyaki's Silent Majority has already shown that one huge mega hit can potentially alter the landscape. And major scandals and major unexpected graduations can also of course change the landscape. (IMO, while Hirate is the musical and performance power of Keyaki, Neru represented what Keyaki could have been if it wanted to develop a variety image and culture like Nogi. Losing Neru was huge.) The one thing that IMO anchors each group is their MC. Bananaman are giants. And Hinata has Audrey to thank for. Tsuchida and Sawabe in theory should have no problem promoting Keyaki (all six of these guys are very well-known on TV), but for some reason, it hasn't created the same magic.

When you say top 5/top 10, do you mean top 5/top 10 of all female idol groups? Or like, top 5/top 10 of... I don't know, all musical acts, like in terms of revenue?

Anyway, I think people throw around phrases like, "They'll decline like every other group after a while" too easily. That's an easy result and even easier to say. If that happens, then it happens, ok. The interesting challenge is if they can maintain their current plateau. If they can maintain the current level for however long they can, that in itself would be very cool.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. jinxedbomb

jinxedbomb Kenkyuusei

Yeah, I agree with what you said about Asuka and the songs that she was assigned to solo-centered. Indeed, having a larger range of music genres for her when she's considered for center is very much needed, I admit that I used the word "dark" vaguely and poorly. As you said, music is subjective so I would love to see her pull off a mix of something like Sayonara no Imi and 24th single, hopefully strongly felt like her personality. She is very capable when it comes to crunch time and as a 7+ year veteran idol.

Aside from Nogichuu/Bananaman's time spent on cultivating Nogizaka's entertaining side leading to a good relationship for variety shows, I forgot to mention that NOGIBINGO! is another huge factor that increased Nogizaka's quirks/charms since it first aired. I can't really say the same for the some of the episodes from the last two or so seasons since they seem questionable/last minute planned out imo, going to various locations, acting skits out, etc. instead of focusing on getting to know more about the new gens (season 8 definitely did that well, more exposure). Timing really is the key to this group's future, as well as the type of opportunities that they're receiving at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

i speak it as musical acts in general :D
    revenue probably is still the reliable way to measure their influence

i think that just fine, in pessimistic way of thinking. speaking of tendency, things like happen everywhere. prophetic it may but im also disagree if it start sound doctrinated, truth that bound to happen because we cant be sure predict the future, only assumption. who know nogi can become the next Sazan lol. unlikely :^^;:
    i personally can't see nogi or every other sakamichi reach beyond 1m in sale single, for example. this probably as far as they can grow in number. so what now left as you implied is keeping the longevity. dip may inevitable in the future, but as long they can float, circulated their influenced in japanese showbiz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    I also think it is just healthy for a group's popularity to just move sideways or maybe even dip a little every now and then. It's just like the stock market. If a certain stock only rises, at one point the euphoria changes into scepticism and that's usually the end of the ride. So far, I just see a steady and healthy development with Nogi, and the next single just might blast them off to new heights.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Conjyak

Conjyak Member

She's used the word "dark" to describe herself before, so I don't think you used it vaguely or poorly at all :D. I agree something like Sayonara No Imi and Kaerimichi would be good. Though to be honest, I think those two songs would be good for anyone :D

Yeah, staying in the top 5/10 in revenue of all musical acts for a long time would be really amazing. There will definitely be some dips right after big members graduate, but I'm sure management is aware of that.

I've said this before somewhere, but one of the biggest unknowns is what will happen if/when Bananaman leaves Nogichu (identically for the other Sakamichi groups, if any of the MCs of their main shows change). Bananaman has so far been huge in growing and maintaining Nogi's longevity IMO.

7. Gofindnova

Gofindnova Future Girls

Why does Umezawa, the largest Nogizaka46 member, not simply eat all the other members?

• Like Like x 2
  8. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    ^ not enough mayo to go around?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

Maybe she did?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kazeka

Kazeka Kenkyuusei

I never really understood the whole confusion over which gen the new members are. All you have to do is look over at AKB and see how they handle members that were promoted well after they've auditioned. Oya Shizuka being the most glaring example. She auditioned at the same time as the rest of her genmates, but was not promoted until years later. But she's still a 4th gen, not whatever gen it was when she was promoted.

So you'd think the same principle applied here. They all auditioned at the same time, so they'd all be the same gen.

11. vshav

vshav Member

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Kotoko
    It's just in the history of Sakamichi that never happens before. And also the original Nogi 4gen, Keya 2gen, Hina 3gen have never been labelled as "kenshuusei that got promoted" although I do believe they underwent some training perhaps together with the new new gen.

Especially this new kenshuusei has incubation period to decide which group goes to which. That alone as far as I know has never happened to AKB. Nogi 2nd gen kenkyuusei system is more similar to AKB kenkyuusei system.

I think we can argue the kenshuusei system is more similar to AKB Draft System, but promoted AKB Draft girls are not labelled as the pre-existing generation I recall? They have their own draft generation name I think?

Also, there are Sakamichi fans who don't follow the journey of AKB since those early days, if at all.

12. allen20

allen20 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Hashimoto Nanami
    • May stop following Nogizaka46 after all 1st gen and 2nd gen members graduate
    • Will miss Manatsu, Kazumin and Maiyan when they graduate from Nogizaka46
    • IMO, the start of Nogizaka46's slow decline is when MaiMai graduated in 2016 (graduations)
    • 3rd gen and 4th gen members are lacking of charisma and chemistry as compared to 1st and 2nd gen (Hori Miona)
    • 1st gen and 2nd gen members have struggled more to reach peak success as compared to their successors
    • Nogizaka46 need strong personalities like Maiyan, Ikomachan and Nanamin in the group. Who can replace them?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TAMU

TAMU Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Joe Pesci
    Those 3 are different in a way that, say Nogizaka members managed the group themselves, it'll be very difficult to con them with those 3 in the group.
    IMO closest to a 'strong' personality like that so far probably is Ume and Junchan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rentanDAISUKI

rentanDAISUKI Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Renka/Runa/Rika
    agreed. as a relatively new nogi fan (since 2016 to be exact),i really adore strong/independent/charismatic idols like nanamin,maiyan,ikoma,misamisa,maimai and perhaps wakatsuki or sakurai (for me they are smart at expressing themselves). this is my opinion but i think maybe only kaki (and could be runa i guess?) may be able to reach that peak in the future. 4th gen are still very young so that would be understandable but if the whole gen are full of mainstream cute chara,nogi can be in a very big trouble. still too early to predict anything since they r still 1 year and half in the industry but hopefully we can see some interesting development soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

This is very unpopular, i'd like to say. First 1 million single sales in 2017, first 1 million single sales in a week in 2018. Not to mention won JRA back to back in 2017 and 2018. Tokyo Dome 2017. SayoImi, Influencer, and Synchronicity become few of their best releases. It's all happen after Maimai graduated. You can say they are declined by now, but it's not started on Hadashi de Summer.

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. Halyup

Halyup Future Girls

Very unpopular indeed , 2017 and 2018 for me is their Prime Years where they dominate in all forms of Media in Japan.
    And 2018 is their most profitable year on which they earned 10 Billion Yen or 97 million USD in a year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Beowulf

Beowulf Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Sugai Yuuka / Kosaka Nao
    This is not an unpopular opinion but basically an untrue statement for reasons stated in the couple of posts above this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. allen20

allen20 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Hashimoto Nanami
    When thinking about sales, I agree that they were doing very well in that aspect but I was thinking about the amount of graduations that happened since then which bound to occur sooner or later anyway.

19. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

We're not on the same boat then..

20. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

it fair I think if someone feels the group isn't/wasn't going to the expected or perceived as good direction.
    very unpopular opinion indeed as I think the first time to encounter it on this forum, while in itself nothing new as a pattern.
    I observe that there that kind of similar opinions among fans with each of their favorite musicians/artists like they can be really great at their indie time but went dip after sign with Major label; the like the later period of their career where their creative direction doesn't have good reception with the old/early fan or change their band member(s), for example.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1