1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[NEWS] SDN48 Disband April 2012

Discussion in 'SDN48 News & Discussion' started by JedixKnight, Oct 15, 2011.

1. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    One could say the same thing about AKB, but they too need to move on to keep the project going. I guess what you're thinking about is SDN the girls rather than SDN the group when you say they are perfect. Unfortunately SDN, like the other groups (and more so, teams) is a place to be, not a fixed assembly of girls. I feel that's what Akimoto is going for.

But yeah, I would have loved to see more of especially Nonti. I hope we will.

2. freezingkiss

freezingkiss Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yuihan
    ^ We COULD do a farewell project for SDN. Loads of signatures and pictures in a big book? Just a thought, we'd have plenty of time to do it and we would be able to pop photo's and messages in there, plus maybe money for a big flower arrangement?

Are any SDN fans up for something like that?

3. jinbaoyin48

jinbaoyin48 Kenkyuusei

maybe all the members can stay together and Universal music can promote them as a new group...or at least some of the members can stay together...leaving the 48 family might be good after all...i was thinking if DiVA audition their dancers at a later date probably some SDN power dancers would fit into that perfectly...

speaking of popular AKB members leaving AKB to form the new SDN...probably the most positive outcome would be singles sales would soar upwards...but the level of vocal and dance standard would fall to nowhere...seriously the likes of yuko or mariko are not in the class of current SDN members in terms of vocal or dance...not even close...but i admit that put their face on the front cover of singles...it will sell very well...regardless of what song is inside...

4. sillybob

sillybob Kenkyuusei

I still dont get the point in this whole graduation, I mean the group would still be making money D: ugh I just keep praying its just a reshuffle so now they're in teams to make things easier haha.

5. Ian905

Ian905 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Mizushima Miyuu
    ^ I doubt it. They wouldn't announce something so trivial months in advance, and if they did they would call it what it is. They wouldn't throw around the term graduation lightly.

The thing I noticed was that because of their ages and Kpop sound SDN was popular with the mainstream market whereas AKB and friends are more popular with the "wota" market. Could that have something to do with the graduation? The average music listener will download an Mp3 of the song they like, maybe off iTunes but more often than not from a free download site. A wota will buy the CD, and multiple copies of it too. Maybe Aki-P didn't feeling like paying salary to 39 girls who were earning $x amount of dollars, when he had 80+ girls earning him $xxxx amount of dollars. It's understandable.

I doubt it had anything to do with their ages though. The whole concept was an adult idol. He's been in the business for over 30 years, he knew what he was bargaining for when had woman of that age in his group. And if age was such an issue to him, he would have a strict age cut off point (which to my knowledge, he doesn't) and he would fill his line up with prepubescent girls like Tsunku does.

6. Allocer

Allocer Kenkyuusei

This is such sad news. This was slowly becoming my favorite group. I loved their shows each week and I loved my Serina. I wonder if he did this to save up money for his Indonesian group. :/

7. Issen

Issen Kenkyuusei

Nah, it's just because GREE didn't want to spend money anymore

There's also rumors of Yoshimoto willing to sell their rights for NMB (cause they are not making enough profits), and Kyoraku doing the same with SKE (hence the agency transfers last week)

8. chewybacca

chewybacca Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sudaakari
    Twitter:
    mhcc27
    I'm assuming GREE (a social networking service???) is what Kyoraku/Yoshimoto Kyogo is to SKE/NMB? Otherwise what has GREE got to do with it all?

But that second point is very interesting. NMB and SKE are top-sellers (single sales-wise), and with all those promos they've recently got. Yet NMB is still "not making enough profits" (and I presume the same for SKE)? SDN must've been seriously in the red then, with comparatively far less sales to speak of (< 100k 1st week)...

Of course, these are just rumours. There might be other, less financially-motivated, reasons behind SDN's "restructure-of-sorts", discussed to death here.
    Still, you've got to wonder. And this goes for AKB as well - perhaps all brands need that immense single sales volumes (goes to show you 300k+ is the minimum...) and advertising/promotional revenue to even stay afloat to offset losses incurred from loss-making operations e.g. theatre shows (amongst other things)?

The next question, of course, is whether AKS (if NMB and SKE finally do end up conceding all operational rights to it) has the ability to financially sustain all three brands (AKB, SKE and NMB), not to mention HKT coming up.

9. Issen

Issen Kenkyuusei

GREE is just a sponsor, SDN48 has always been managed by AKS.

On the contrary, SKE48 is managed by Pitagoras Promotion (owned by Kyoraku), and NMB48 by Yoshimoto

10. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    As of this month, SKE's management has officially changed from Pitagoras to AKS. Also, according to various news outlets, Yoshimoto seems to be looking for a buyer. That one isn't official though.

11. Issen

Issen Kenkyuusei

Yeah, sorry, should have said "was".

But that shows that on the short terms, those groups are not viable (at least for the management)

12. jinbaoyin48

jinbaoyin48 Kenkyuusei

probably SKE moving under AKS has been decided long before SDN announced its graduation...they wanted more time to focus on SKE...and gave up on SDN... [flip] ...having failed to make SDN a money making group...probably the new looked lineup of SDN could see some money spinning member from AKB/SKE...

13. microsheep

microsheep Kenkyuusei

^ they didn't fail it.. they didn't even try to.

14. Janie

Janie Kenkyuusei

Man, SDN48 was what introduced me to the "48" groups in general.
    I've known about the disbandment for a little while, but it just hit me that if it wasn't for SDN I might be oblivious to the entire scene.
    Very sad indeed.

15. jinbaoyin48

jinbaoyin48 Kenkyuusei

not that they didn't try to...they don't bother to try...here's for AKS for the great effort [flip] ...

16. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

About the theories of girls like Yuko and Mariko being moved to SDN, I don't know about Mariko because I'm not her fan, but I'm 100% sure that Yuko would graduate immediately at the thought of being moved to SDN, because idol work is kind of secondary to her and her real wish is to become an actress.

Think about it from the perspective of say, Kojima Haruna: She was a founding member of AKB, and now they are the most popular idol group in Japan, through a lot of hard work and effort. Do you think she'd want to start again from scratch in order to make the new SDN popular? it would be much better for her to just call it a day and keep working in the rest of the entertainment industry without busting her butt so much.

I think part of what made SDN so driven was also the fact that the girls weren't "there" yet so they worked super hard to earn their chance to be in the spotlight.

17. theoneman

theoneman Kenkyuusei

Yokosuka Kanagawa CFAY CSG5 US Navy 7th Fleet
    12 Days to likely Aki-P Reformation Announcement @ [Next Encore] NHK HALL concert
    https://plus.google.com/113474433041552 ... 3pg7bkPJK2
    AKi-P's Mar16 G+ on saving SDN
    NOW HE IS BLAMING UMJ, saying it is not him but UMJ is stonewalling
    i say FOR CRYING OUT LOUD UMJ is not the only record company around
    JUST GRADUATE SDN as planned out of 48 for good & move them over to SONY with NGK46 making SDN an indie group

18. Criss

Criss Member

I saw that yesterday. Looks like Akimoto is planing to put the SDN in Stand By for now, not giving up the concept but he needs to... re-think some things. Because, no matter the thinking of some "fans", the actual SDN concept needs and adjusment, the man say it, a new path.

19. Tomokazu

Tomokazu Kenkyuusei

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan - Auckland, New Zealand
    Well whatever Akimto is trying to do, he better do it fast. Only 12 more days until the end of March. :cry:

Its a little odd though, because one moment Akimoto is saying he wants to stick with his plans, and the next moment he's saying that he's trying to "please the fans"

On the bright side, i'm glad the SDN fans made a petition, 5500 votes. [clap] Now lets just hope all that hard work they did to get those signatures aren't going to waste. [rock]

20. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Whatever ultimately happens, I am enjoying watching AkiP fret over what to do. It is quite interesting, even if he might just be trolling. :p I understand why the graduation was originally decided. All the same, I love SDN so much, by far my favorite team. And I would be sorry to see them go.

I have been hoping for a 2nd stage for at least a year. Count me as another FAN signing the petition. :)