The SNH48 Thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Idol Emporium' started by sikanwan, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Raizy

Raizy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    xujiaqi
    why would kuma leave? whered you get this info from?

2. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    Trust me you don't need Sae and Mariya to have a good time following SNH. The girls are interesting enough.
    SNH doesn't cover AKB songs more than JKT?! I don't see what's alarming. 48G literally has thousands of songs so no need to get alarmed.
    What was wrong with Flying Get? Could you explain how they "screwed" it up?

3. Jinn

Jinn Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    mohan
    Ahahahahaha I think this is an April Fool :lol:.

4. Hedonist

Hedonist Kenkyuusei

I think so too. Today was not a day to take Weibo seriously.
    Only thing we should take seriously was this by Xiaoyin and Kiki. :omfg:

if the video does not show watch the video here

5. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    Kiki and XiaoYin really are from another world. :cute:

6. Mimi

Mimi Kenkyuusei

Even though I don't feel smart walking into the SNH den and talking shit about them, I'll still take the risk for the sake of not spamming another thread that has nothing to so with this.:fear:
    I don't mean they literally resemble K-pop artists, they're part of the 48 franchise after all. It's just that I noticed one of their aspects (and this could be more management's doing than the girls') is trying to project an image of sheer perfection, like it would be a disgrace to show normal human imperfections since they're celebrities, contrary to what AKB is about, which is often trying to appeal by making people laugh at these supposed idols who should be the epitome of a perfect dream girl, but turn out to be normal, dorky girls next door (but of course very hard working, humble and grateful ones). (Maybe it's seeing videos like the one posted above that inspired me to compare them to K-pop.:fear:)
    By lack of a better example, when you look at the intro of the following video, there's just something about it that already gives me the feeling I described. Even those shots of them practising are obviously staged after they had their hair and make-up done.
    (Though this performance of Oshibe to Meshibe happens to be one I really like.)

if the video does not show watch the video here

It makes me wonder if SNHello features the same segments as AKBingo where you can enjoy images like these[hehe]:
    [​IMG]

But to answer the other part of your question, I obviously can't say I spent hours and hours watching their stuff when I'm not a huge fan of theirs. But I've seen bits of different things. I've seen some of their music videos or parts of it, I've watched parts of live concerts, I've seen a couple of stage performances. Some of those were awkward to watch with them dancing out of sync and forgetting the steps (and I really don't know how they allowed those to be released, but I'm guessing they've improved by now) while there were a few others that I liked and still like to watch once in a while.

When SNHello came out I did try to watch the first episode out of curiosity and because of the possibility of getting to know the group better, but I couldn't do it. It was an exact (kind of randomly executed) copy of AKBingo even down to the reactions of the girls. I mean one of them was literally making the same gestures (pointing upward with her fingers and sticking her tongue out, I believe) some girl on AKBingo once did after eating something gross/spicy, I don't remember if they even added the same sound effect, and it really looked like someone gave them instructions on how to react while they actually didn't give an ef about having to drink the goo.:^^;: Not saying AKBingo isn't scripted and overly exaggerated at times, but there's a world of difference.

I have, for example, also seen parts of a documentary where Sae was scolding the girls for being impolite or something and the way they reacted like they were annoyed that they had to listen to it rather than feeling guilty turned me off a little. Same thing when I was watching their announcement of the preliminary SSK results, most of the girls who ranked barely seemed to show any gratitude, nor were there many mutual taps on the back and congratulations like you'd definitely see in the Japanese groups.

I know most of this has to do with cultural differences, but there are certain aspects about Japanese idols that made me become a fan and if those things are missing in a group like this, there's simply nothing that makes them stand out from other artists. It only comes down to their music, and since those are covers of already familiar songs, and since I prefer the original, there's not much left for me.

But if something I said is completely untrue (other than mere matters of opinion you probably don't agree about:awesome:) or outdated feel free to correct me or show me evidence to the contrary. I really don't have anything against them and wish I could enjoy them as much as other groups. It's just that the things that make them different from their sister groups haven't appealed to me so far and sometimes remind me of the things I don't like about many western(like) artists.

7. Raizy

Raizy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    xujiaqi
    Well, we all have our own opinions. The 'holier than thou' like behaviour I say is more to do with their company , cause their company is VERY much a company operating in China following the chinese way of business it seems (which I honestly don't prefer, but that's my opinion). There's enough girls that have fanned 48G in the group for them to know what kind of group they should be.

8. Crests

Crests Member

Oshimen:
    Chen GuanHui
    Twitter:
    xiaoaishiteru
    ^Meet me out back in 2 hours I wanna fight (nah I'm kidding)

But honestly I especially disagree with this so much??? If you see their weibo posts or watch MCs or videos they make themselves for fun they're just like the other groups. Hell they take it to another level in some ways tbh, and other 48 groups would never do some of the stuff they do haha. And they do lots of special thing during stages, etc. Plus even just the special stages. They're all losers tbh and it shows. They're also generally definitely very normal which also shows imo????
    I think they're very different from the other groups in that things are more laid back? But not in a bad way more like they break from the standards of the other groups and other group's stages and stuff a lot idk. They def don't follow all the same rules.

9. appetizer8088

appetizer8088 Kenkyuusei

From their Weibo

10. Crests

Crests Member

Oshimen:
    Chen GuanHui
    Twitter:
    xiaoaishiteru
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  11. Oranges

Oranges Kenkyuusei

12. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    I've said this in another thread, everything i write is obviously #imho, but i think that SNH do try to let out a KPop vibe to general public because that might be received better by the general public. If you watch their theater show, it's back to 48 vibe.

Have you ever watch Give Me Power? SNH really sucks during that performance. SNH do mistakes, but from what i see SNH are getting better and better (while their singing skill are getting more and more perfect)

I agree that their SNHello are basically a rip off with AKBingo, with fans watching from the sideline with their creepy smile and lustful eye and weird SFX and on screen commentary but they're doing great and i don't think their trash talk and such are scripted because that's just how the girls are (from what i see from their usual MC in theater and such. They're crazy and that's their normal)

This

13. bubbles

bubbles Kenkyuusei

This mv is so good. One of the best!
    Wanqing looks so cute:^O^:

14. Aisansan

Aisansan Kenkyuusei

Well if they always wear hot pants, do mindless rapid dancing/camera changes, continuous soft focus...then that would be K-pop, to me.
    I get the feeling Kpop is mostly about doing some sort of complicated dancing...and not so much about melody/music, which are very hard to find in Kpop, from what I have seen/heard.

I have watched a lot of K-pop, and I know lots and lots of people really love it (aka my nephew in Japan).... but actually I can't stand it at all.

The SNH girls are doing AKB songs, which usually have decent melody, and the dancing moves already decided by AKB.... so they cant be anymore Kpop than AKB really. But they sing live, sing good live and have it all over AKB in singing department. And from a matter of personal taste I find the Chinese girls much more attractive, rather than cute, which is a Japanese thing. And some of their recent MVs have been superb.

I think in a few years..SNH48 will make AKB look a bit amateurish when it comes to quality presentation, singing and performance. The dances themselves are AKB choreographed...so they cant be Kpop inspired. Likewise the musical arrangement.

The original attractiveness of AKB I gather, and their business model, was a bunch of cute girls who couldn't dance or sing very well, but looked great...and you can watch the grow in ability. And in the end people will argue over who has the best ability among them. So hard to state that being capable is a bad thing and like K-pop .. .when all the oshi argue their girl is best at something.

But I do get the notion that 'over-production' taking the rawness out of the presentation can be a path toward Kpop... sort of... except Kpop has no melody, just insane dancing and camera work. (I wonder if I would find them more palatable if they could come up with a decent melody between them rather than relying being cool dancers....which becomes extremely boring)

However - if SNH did start to copy the Kpop style...then they would certainly lose me.

15. Hedonist

Hedonist Kenkyuusei

For someone who doesn't know alot about SNH, you sure have alot to say. If you watch their subbed MCs, then maybe you can get a sense of how dorky they all are. But whats wrong with trying to be polished? They have talents that are good at singing and clearly good at dancing which doesn't get showcased through certain AKB songs. I don't understand why 48G fans complain when 48G are not good enough, but then complain when they are too good or trying to be better. I really cannot.

16. 1nfiltraitor

1nfiltraitor Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    isoharakyoka
    SNH is a carbon copy from AKB, that's the bottom line. But that's not the only reason which make them noteworthy, i found a team captain going AWOL and SSK winner being demoted which quite entertaining actually. A thing which couldn't be found at another group, and i guess would also never happen to another 48g.
    Personally since they're the only 48g which (and probably will) never performed in Japan with AKB48group(CMIIW), i found hard to compare their performance and make subjective judgement which group look amateurish:p.

17. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    @Mimi thanks a lot for your very interesting answer, now I see where you're coming from. :blush: It is just a matter of personal taste and opinion so there's absolutely nothing wrong with your post. The only thing is that I guess most of what you watched was earlier performances because, true, they sometimes sucked in the early days. But now I find most of the performances are on point. Some of the girls in SII and NII really are on the top of their game and it shows.
    If you ever want to try again with SNH (and you really don't have to since I see now why they are less appealing to you than the japanese groups) I suggest you focus your interest on Team HII which is to me, so far, projecting an image more similar to AKB than Team SII & NII.

18. appetizer8088

appetizer8088 Kenkyuusei

Ms. Kuma was joking indeed. But Liu Peixin will leave for several months (or days, or forever...), that is for 100% sure.

19. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    When SNH released their own original song/single, that's when we're going to see what kind of direction SNH decided to take.
    Idol like song like 48, or decided to go for a Kpop like song, or make their own style?

20. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    Wow how'd my post get here? Anyway,

SNH's lack of members that stay in the group and a very identifiable center kinda put me off.
    They don't have any member/center that is similar to Melody, someone who you can easily identify.

I had an almost oshi once but she suddenly left the group without saying why. Their rate of graduations is high

Also as I see, SNH48 just plays around with/churns out AKB A-sides like its nothing. They were off to a good start with RIVER but in 2013, they've covered more AKB Title songs than JKT ever would since its existence. It was kinda alarming. I'm sure they have free reign to do as they please but the tracks kinda lose its uniqueness especially when bundled up into one EP. Them using Beginner as a Team song really rubbed me the wrong way. The PV itself was meh. Racing really?!

About Flying Get, we all know the original had this Chinese concept to it, and since this was SNH in CHINA, they could have done something grand with it. But nope, they just shot a so-so PV in a new building in Shanghai. Promotion at its best. What a waste of a good opportunity.

After that I lost all interest completely.
    Now I see that they both have Suzukake Nanchara versions for each team wtf
    and a single for After Rain. lolwat

I'm sure their theater perfs would be a delight to watch (I remember watching the one Sae performed in)
    but their spirit as a 48 group is lost to me.
    If I take a step back, sometimes their stuff looks cheap and rushed. sigh