Single NMB48 13th [Must Be Now] 15/10/07

Discussion in 'NMB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Aug 15, 2015.

1. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Not @kero__kero but...

For Catch Me If You Can I really can't see any similarity. I guess their chorus kind of sound's like Must Be Now's breakdown.

Expectation has some similarities but none more than I'd expect of the same genre.

2. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    @convenience93 the main similarity for me was the fact that they both share similar enough characteristics to be basically the same set-up, just with a different melody and harmony. The heavy base, repetitive chorus, really anti-climatic bridge, etc. is something they both share in common.

Also, if this was Carlos K... I really don't want it to be. He has a good track record with me (DLB, Durian Shonen, Nogizaka's Kokoni Iru Riyuu, Flower's Akikaze no Answer, etc.). This would be a HUGE black mark on his record for me. That, and the dude doesn't write enough trash LDH or Avex songs to really fit the glaring characteristics of this particular song for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cennezu

cennezu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    qianbeiting
    Twitter:
    iamtaruchin
    This song sounds nothing like kpop y'all need to get your ears checked.

4. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

I like that NMB's lyrics stray a bit from the "unrequited love in high school" setting of SO many 48G songs. This year we've had Don't look back and this one which are both songs about persevering, and Durian Shounen at least had unusual lyrics and metaphors to show.

5. convenience93

convenience93 Member

Oshimen:
    Jang Wonyoung
    @piyochama
    I see what you mean with Catch Me If You Can but to me, it still doesn't have enough style similarity to be the same composer. Especially arrangement wise, I'm still leaning more towards Dear J which Carlos K did.

Also small correction, Carlos K did Boku Dake no Secret Time not Durian Shounen. Well I personally love Must Be Now, so it wouldn't be a black mark for me. In fact, I love almost every song he has done; in fact to me, MBN is a power-up to DLB if so. Apart from what you already mentioned, I personally loved Green Flash, Little Glee Monster's Jinsei wa Ichido Kiri, Mashiro Ayano's Ideal White, Crystal Kay's Kimi ga Ita Kara, and GEM's Star Shine Story is pretty nice as well. And heck, Dear J is my favourite Tomochin song.

In case people don't remember, here is Dear J to refresh your memories haha. And you can judge for yourselves.

if the video does not show watch the video here

And like what you said with Catch Me If You Can, I can argue that Dear J too has a repetitive chorus, heavy autotune, heavy EDM influence, and it is quite close even in melody line.

So for now, I'm sticking with Carlos K as prime suspect until it is officially announced.

I also don't why you're so bent on it being like LDH when the melody line of MBN is nothing like I ever heard from LDH. Do you know an EXILE TRIBE or even E-Girls song that sounds like this song? If you do, please enlighten me. Also, calling LDH trash even if you don't like them is a bit rude....I'm not a big fan either but still...

Flower is also part of LDH, so first you said you liked a song of theirs, and then you said LDH songs are trash. Or that's how I understood it. If I misunderstood your meaning, I apologise for that in advance.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    The Team N song feels like something Nogi would put out.
    Well at least they got a softer concept this time.
    Sayanee, Keichan, Akari looked like Kalafina to me

Edit:
    Found a video of "Must Be Now" first theater performance:

if the video does not show watch the video here

The performance looks better but still hard to spot Rikanyan, my NMB oshi...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  7. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    So Kishino Rika is actually part of the Dance Senbatsu ?! I would havenever imagined she was a good dancer. In theater performance, she is always messing her steps like she couldn't care less.

Team N already has (at least) two ballads though.

8. silentwalker

silentwalker Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    otanao
    With you guys mentioning Dear J, I honestly had to listen to the song in full (never had listened to it before, not that I'm a fan of Tomochin, unfortunately) and yes they do have similarities.

Anyway, Dear J and Must be now both have a tempo of 128 BPM and are both in the same key of D minor / F major (both are essentially relative keys of each other so haha). So if you were to put the songs together (ala a DJ booth) they'd perfectly fit (tried it myself using VirtualDJ and boy it was really cool). So yes, even the styles are quite similar.

(Well just my two cents haha, I could be mistaken for the key since it's not officially released yet and the only way I can find out if it's really in the key of D minor / F major is when the sheet music/chord sheet is available online, which usually gets released during or after the song's release date :p)

Enough of the comparison on my part though, I enjoy listening to both songs (and perhaps when both are mixed together haha)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  9. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    @convenience93 I actually like LDH, and I like them enough to call their management style pretty trashy. They essentially will pick one or two hits that the group has done and beat the dead horse dry until the public gets sick of that style.

But yeah to me this song has much more similarities with CMIYC than it does with Dear J. I guess we'll wait and see until the JASRAC information becomes available.

10. Konno A.

Konno A. Future Girls

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    No, I agree with u. If u watch her theater shows (which she is in a lot...since she's really a theater-girl imo) she's sort of not into it, but I don't blame her lol. Plus, I don't think she's really in any units that require hard-dancing...so how would anyone know, right? But she's a good dancer. I wouldn't label her amazing, but she's good.

11. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    I love that they've really covered their bases with this single.

the a-side is a cool, dance-heavy track... main b-side is familiar Idol pop. Team N gets the breezy, otona track, Team M gets the sugary retro track, and Team BII gets the sassy one. Pretty much has something for everyone!

12. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    That's too bad she doesn't show her full capacities then :( My eyes are often drawn to her during N3 shows (I, like, watch all of them because I sooo loooove this stage) because I find her really beautiful, and somehow her attitude always put me off. I once thought that she might as well graduate from the group if she is bored, and go on doing more musicals. But honestly I know nothing about Rika though. Must Be Now would be my opportunity to watch her good dancing, but I really dislike the single, sadly, and probably won't watch more of it than its full PV.

Also, fellow Kalafina fan !! *High Five*

13. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

It will probably be performed a lot though, so maybe you'll be able to watch Rikanyan dancing hard at some point. I didn't know that she was a good dancer either oops.

Off topic: I'm also a Kalafan! Hikaru is my waifu forever :D

14. Konno A.

Konno A. Future Girls

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    Well, u know now lol~~ I don't really think many people would associate NMB (or really the 48 family) as good dancers. That's like reserved for E-girls and groups like them. It's nice that these girls finally have a song that shows their skill as a dancer (and while the dance isn't super impressive imo, I think it does it's job well).

Kalafina fans unite (also, support their newest album cause u know they don't disappoint lol).

More fans~~ Glad to hear really ^_^. And it's ok...I want Keiko anyways.

15. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    If she seems bored, it may be because she's done KokoTen for almost 2 years now. She still sings live every time though, that's cool to see. And post shuffle she was really awkward with a lot of the new girls that got shuffled in for MCs but she seems much better now.

(And hopefully she'll do Zipper, if she loses the weight in time for 5th Anniversary...)

Plus, except for Fumo Tochi (and maybe 100nen Sakidemo, but I might be thinking of the dance version they did last year at 4th Anniversary) I don't think there's really a good dance song in KokoTen. I was originally upset for Uuka because she went from Faint to ONEW and I thought it was a waste of her skills.
    This is kind of how I feel. I don't think this single is meant to compete with E-girls/K-Pop/Fairies, nor would I think that it's indicative of future NMB singles. It's just nice to see that NMB is able to pull this off. I mean, I really like the song, I would like to see more of it since that's the kind of music I like and I've always favored the "cool" songs, but I'm pretty sure it's not what most people want out of NMB.

16. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    I believe I will see it if/when it's performed in concert and that will be it. But that will probably be enough to see Rika's good dancing. Now I've just got so interested in her lol

Definitly, definitly, I believe no one support 48G for the skills of the girls [hehe] a challenge, like this single, once in a while is nice, but I wouldn't like it to become a recurrence. This is not what I am expecting from the 48G.

Off Topic:
    Love to see other Kalafina fans ♥ And that's funny cause I like Wakana the most ^^

Haha indeed, KokoTen is definitly not shining by the difficulty level of its choreos ^^'' It's so full of cutesy & idolish songs... That's why I love it, but I understand some girls could get enough of it fast.

By reading your post... I don't prefer cool songs and don't like this sngle, but it's nice to read people who really like it. That's the benefit of varying the style with each singles.

Did Rika set herself a challenge to lose weight for the 5th anniversary ?

17. convenience93

convenience93 Member

Oshimen:
    Jang Wonyoung
    Actually I do...

18. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    Well, that's great then :)

19. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    I think it's difficult relative to the other stages and for 48G in general, but not really much compared to actual dance songs.

Yes, there was an announcement at the end of an N stage where if she lost weight for 5th she would perform Zipper. It was followed by a hilariously sarcastic "press conference" where they weighed her and all that stuff. It's on YNN but since I (have to) do everything legit now I don't know if it's up on torrents, etc.

Speaking of which, I'm going to 5th Anniversary. I want to get so turnt to Must Be Now...

20. convenience93

convenience93 Member

Oshimen:
    Jang Wonyoung
    @Ririe Also, I actually want this to be a recurrent thing. Haha.
    Not this particular dance senbatsu, but to experiment with different themes and ideas every time.
    Imo, it'll definitely keep the group fresh rather than usual stuff that they put out that is starting to get dry.
    It'll also mean more chances for more girls with different appeals/skills, and perhaps, overcome this overdependence issue on SayaMilky that people always complain about. The options for them would be limitless, they could do senbatsu with the best smile (maybe with internal votes from members themselves like AKB Shirabe), singing senbatsu, funniest member senbatsu, yankee senbatsu, senbatsu with the most beautiful legs, shorty senbatsu, tallest member senbatsu etc. I don't know the chances of them doing something like this regularly but on the contrary, I sure hope they keep up with it.

Personally for me, I like how NMB is challenging the very conventions of 48G. Change is not a comfortable process, it never is, but at least it keeps things interesting, and more importantly, attracts a larger audience than what they already have.

• Like Like x 1