Single AKB48 49th [#SukiNanda] (2017/08/30)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    I don't really care if Aki-P had to sell his soul to Youtube Satan, for the time being I'm glad the videos are back in my zone... looking for mirrors is such a hassle and they get deleted half of the time for obvious reasons, it's not very fun.

2. Arbios

Arbios Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    for the first time ever when i search akb48 on youtube i get an actuall pv omfg

3. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    What happened was that back in October of 2015 YouTube introduced a new service called YouTube Red. This was a new subscription service that allowed users in select countries (and only very few - as of now, the USA, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea) watch YouTube ad-free while supporting their favorite content creators, and in addition, also received access to original programming exclusively for YouTube Red subscribers (for countries that didn't offer YouTube Red, such as Japan or Europe, the YT Red original programs were also available pay-per-view). YouTube Red also included a subscription to Google Play Music (and vice versa), and is available for $10 a month.

Problem was...a number of labels and certain other artists were too skeptical about following to the new terms and conditions regarding YouTube Red. The main point of contention was the ability to download videos for offline viewing, which was one of the YouTube Red features on the YouTube mobile app. But Japanese copyright laws were strict and contradictory, and, legally, that feature is actually illegal in the land of the rising sun. Since Japanese media companies were hesitant because of the need to monitor when, where and how the content is being used in accordance to Japanese copyright laws, they didn't comply with the new terms and conditions back then, and are blocked for viewing within countries that offered YouTube Red. (A similar hesitation occurred with ESPN because of conflicts with third-party rightsholders of major sporting events.)

As a result, AKB48 videos were blocked, and so did SKE48 and HKT48 (but, for some reason, NMB48 wasn't blocked). Other labels were also blocked, including Sony Music (for any videos that weren't blocked already at that time, though it was a few, since most were already blocked outside of Japan anyways, but some Sony artists that allowed their YouTube videos to be shown overseas include SCANDAL and LDH's Flower, among others), Victor, Pony Canyon, and even to a point, Up-Front Works (Morning Musume, etc.), among others. Since then labels have slowly/reluctantly complied (such as Pony Canyon and Being group, well known for B'z), but other labels (such as Victor) remain blocked as of now.

Sorry for the off-topic here, but the YouTube Red blocking sounded contradictory to the Cool Japan mission to spread Japanese pop music across the world, and the United States is pretty much a major target, especially since YouTube is owned by the parent company of Google, Alphabet. The removal of blocks for AKB48 videos due to YouTube Red (as well as certain other labels) is one major step, but there's still a long ways to go, since SKE48 and HKT48, as well as labels such as Victor, are still blocked at this moment. (Maybe YouTube Red might come to Japan in the future, but without the offline feature for users in Japan?)

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

• Like Like x 1
  4. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Always thought youtube red is a stupid name, it just confuses people with you know...

5. bustergol

bustergol Kenkyuusei

imo japan still trying to find way to spread jpop across world but still "exclusive".
    and imo that good thing, still holding their identity, it separate them from their neighborhood countrys.

6. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    One detail. YouTube said that if a company didn't sign a YT Red contract, they couldn't show content on regular YT. That was the catch for Japanese companies (and ESPN). When they didn't sign the Red contract, they no longer could be seen on regular YT so it didn't matter if a viewer signed up for Red or not, they couldn't see the content.

7. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Nogizaka is still region blocked as well, but as far as I remember they have been blocked for an even longer time.

8. GyaraDon

GyaraDon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kadowaki miyuna
    Twitter:
    gyara_don
    Nogizaka's Label is Sony , right? as far as i know, sony always region blocked their video, even before youtube red is a thing

Sent from my ASUS_Z00VD using Tapatalk

9. sakusakukamen

sakusakukamen Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    How can Halloween Night got 1.4 million sales while #SukiNanda is just about 1.1m? Lol

10. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Cuz there were like 8 other single releases wotas needed to buy lol?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

11. jiinatsu

jiinatsu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuokanatsumi
    There's the Sony Music Taiwan channel which uploads the main Sakamichi PVs (a few weeks ago they uploaded Nigemizu), with a B-side or two thrown in as well (like Tsuki no Ookisa), and they're not region blocked. And I know Nogi's Vevo channel still has a few unblocked PVs as well.

if the video does not show watch the video here

(Just gonna throw in a bit of #Sukinanda to keep on topic) I finally watched the credits part of the PV and realised there's more shots than Sasshi and Mayuyu walking down to the beach. I really like the ending shot with Sasshi; she's absolutely stunning there.

12. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    It's a different issue; Nogi (and Keyaki but not NGT) have the Sony region block and are restricted to Japan. Even the damn line stamps are region locked.
    AKB and friends were just blocked in the US thanks to Youtube Red while the rest of us could still see them.

13. soul.assassin

soul.assassin Member

Listened to the title track; got LSS later. :)

14. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

As far as I can recall, Oricon weren't as strict with their bulk buying restrictions back in Halloween Night era. Billboard is giving sales of SukiNanda at 1.4 million so you can see a difference there in the counting.

15. Rurouni

Rurouni Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Compared to Love Trip...

Oricon 1st day number
    LT: 1.1m
    Sukinanda: 1.03m

Billboard 1st day number
    LT: 1.29m
    Sukinanda: 1.4m

So... lol?

It seems either Oricon getting much tighter in policing the sales number or Billboard is more loose, but the Oricon - Billboard gap is a lot bigger this year compared to last year.

If we look at Oricon data, AKB seems declining in sales (at least comparing LT to Sukinanda) but if we look at Billboard data, AKB seems to be going upwards.

16. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    Use the TOR Browser - to get around the Region Lock on YouTube. It's what I did.

Also I think it's Funny that NGZK &KYZK are still blocked by Sony. AND AKB48 isn't - Goes to show who AKI-P's fav is - lol. It's almost like he's saying "I don't care if AKB is free anymore" - Who thought this was a Good Idea??? Meanwhile POP music from "Other Asian countries" (Not mentioning Names) actually put the TV performances up on YOUTUBE themselves AND Welcome 'Fan-Subs' from fans.

Gotta love the Isolationist Attitude of some in Japan. One wonders Why the Sudden "Change of Heart"?? but who cares they won't make up that LOST Time & Purged probably 90% of anyone who would've become an USA fn of AKB48- Good Job AKI-P!

OOOHH - Now were blaming YT? Not Buying it.
    Why have Anime & Games culture been RISING in the USA. Hell, in Oct 2015 ONLY 2-3 companies Licensed & streamed SUBBED Anime (Sentai, FUNImation, & Crunchyroll) - Others like Hulu, Netflix, Crackle got residual deals or general 2nd run agreements. Anime grew so fast since 2013 that FUNImation now actually DUBS (in English) current Anime's (before they're released in Japan proper) & Simul-casts them within a week of the Original Japan TV airing. Now Summer of 2017 - Amazon & Netflix are scalping FUNI & Sentai & Crunchyroll w/ better deals for Japan....AND "Fan Subbers" are Still on the battle field Pirating content for FREE.

If Japan's AKS & Sony were smart - they'd License & allow CR or Hulu? to stream AKBingo? Or the WIP show? or more Asian TV shows in general. This is the Era of Netflix, Firesticks, & Binge Watching!! Korea has whole sites dedicated to just their Dramas.
    Maybe Japan is happy with JUST JAPAN getting their goods. But how is it Anime is making money hand over fist in a saturated global market even in a industry that was once dominated by Fan Subbed Piracy? They found a way & are only getting stronger.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  17. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    It was kind of both. Youtube Red made some serious demands that AKB weren't comfortable with, like the ability to download videos to view offline (if you use Youtube Red) and blocked everyone who didn't sign on to it. So yes, AKB didn't agree but it was Youtube's ultimatum that caused it.

AKB management doesn't have a say in Nogi and Keyaki's Youtube rules. It's just how Sony is, very insular. NGT is only co-owned so they got away with it though.

18. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    Funnily enought, the YouTube channel Nogizaka46VEVO shows 4 music videos for me if I use my actual IP address and none if I use a Japan VPN

19. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

AKB48's 49th Single (#SukiNanda) (2nd Week Sales)
    Week 2:
    12,983 (1,102,712) (14th)

20. jiinatsu

jiinatsu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuokanatsumi
    Is that because Nogi has their own channel already (idk if Keya does) and the VEVO's for international fans like us? :lol: What I don't understand is why they chose those four PVs (Guru Guru Curtain, Seifuku no Mannequin, Natsu no Free & Easy, is the other one Girl's Rule?).

But congrats to AKB for surpassing 1.1 mil for #Sukinanda!