1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[GENERAL] The AKB48 Thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kyobu, Jun 16, 2007.

1. nigamushiotoko

nigamushiotoko Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    ≒JOY
    Twitter:
    hakata345
    anniversary event is a perfect moment to announce the new single. they can bundling the single with RH votes or solo/unit concert ticket to retain their million sales streak.

yeah, that was so stupid. that marriage shit and stuff.

too old

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dragonkiller12012

Dragonkiller12012 Kenkyuusei

Weighing in on the absolute center debacle I will say it's a double edged sword for both sides. The center gets to endure an endless stream of hatred from the other members fans while weathering the storm that is the constant pressure on an absolute ace and when she finally graduates because she feels she's done all she can or the group can go on fine without her or quits because she can't handle the position and role she was given anymore she still gets to move on to an uncertain future in some area of the entertainment field or a variety of them or simply fades off into obscurity by retiring because she's exhausted and wants nothing to do with celebrity life anymore.

On the other end her fellow members have to find the balance of supporting her while not simply being complacent in their role as second fiddle to her. This is where Oshima Yuko shined the most. She did support Maeda Atsuko, but she did everything she could to provide her with a rival at the same time. Having that kind of member ultimately encourages other members to push back at the notion that the center is the only one important.

When Team A first received the stage that features Nagisa no Cherry Minegishi Minami was reportedly livid about having to play back-dancer for Maeda Atsuko, but she weathered through it. At the end of the day their generational bond was stronger than petty jealousies or envy of the positions they were in and they were able to weather the pros and cons of every opportunity no matter how small and forge a friendship that they'll probably carry for a longtime hereafter.

Because of all of the above I'm not very in favor of absolute centers. This said picking girls who are clearly not ready for center enough that they're like a deer in the headlights when performing their center single on television like Yahagi Moeka was with Sustainable isn't a favorable move either. If they're going to continue rotating the center they need to at least choose girls with more experience performing in general nevermind centering songs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mana

Mana Under Girls

I completely agree with this. I always thought that maybe some other members in the group had a bad feeling against whoever gets pushed, but I didn't realize it so much until recently when I read a post (I forgot where) about how in recent years when there was a survey for AKB or 48G, the members voted Hashimoto Kanna as the girl they would not want to be in the same group as them because she is too popular. This confused me because shouldn't a group wish for one (or more) of their members to get popular? it benefits the group and everyone. Like of course in the case of Hashimoto Kanna, she was in a random unknown idol group so it didn't benefit the group and she was the only one popular. But AKB is a big popular group... Anyone getting big/popular right now would do a BIG help to the group as a whole, popular member = popular group = other members get popular = it even helps sister groups etc. it's the same as how Saito Nagisa's popularity helps =LOVE, the same as how because Nogizaka and Sakurazaka are popular, it helps Hinatazaka to be invited along with them in events and even Kouhaku now (not to discredit them but the 46 popularity is doing a lot for them). it's a bit sad that girls in 48G feel this way about someone getting popular or being pushed. (it's probably similar in other groups but the competition is bigger in 48G so maybe they must feel like this even more)

Personally majority of my favorites in AKB have been pushed girls and I definitely think that along with the criticism and hate that they received from AKB fans (sad that the hate comes from their own group's fandom), they probably also experienced problems inside the group... in the case of Acchan, I think being a 1st gen and one of the original member helped her, it means she was senior to majority of the group so they had to respect her, being close to Takamina who was leader and very respected was also a big help. She had support in her gen, meanwhile every other gen were juniors to her and had to respect her too, I think this helped her in overcoming problems even if some girls in the group might have been unhappy with Acchan being fixed center, and even if many people in AKB fandom hated on her. She managed to stay for quite a long time and left at a right moment for her.

For the other pushed girls who I followed as a fan (Paruru, Naanya, Moeka) and "jealousy" between members, I'll write more under spoiler (it's just random thoughts that I had now).

First of all Paruru, at the start of her push, she was fine with centering songs and having solo stages, but later she started to refuse centers and she refused to perform solo (even though her fans voted for her solo songs during RH, she avoided being alone on stage everytime). it probably has to do with the hate she received from fans, but maybe also problems inside the group, like she didn't want to be rejected. when Jurina had problems after the 2018 elections, Paruru wrote a support message said that Jurina was the only one to care for her in senbatsu. This surprised me a little because as someone who followed Paruru, I remember that she received support from Tomochin (they became close like this and are still close now), she as also close to Yuihan (though they aren't close anymore now but they were back then), she also received support from Sasshi, and it seems that she got close to Acchan (in a recent show Paruru received a video message from Acchan). But maybe there was a specific situation or specific MV or recording where Paruru received the support of Jurina only, and she felt excluded by others, who knows...

Then for Naanya, I think this case is the most obvious one, I followed her since debut and she was close to her gen (15th gen) but once her push started, she wasn't hanging out with them as much. A few years later after her push stopped, some problems happened like when 15th gen did a Halloween party all together but without Naanya and she openly said that she wasn't invited, another time she posted that she was excluded by 15th gen and she posted a picture with some 15th gens and wrote a negative caption (can't remember clearly the details) then she deleted it. and she graduated not long after this. A lot of people didn't like her so they just said that she's the one with a bad personnality but honestly I think something was wrong after her push, and I don't think she would accuse her gen of excluding her if it was false... (for information after graduation she seems to have fixed her relationship with some of 15th gen and she talks with some of them so these are problems in the past but yes these problems happened while she was in the group)

Lastly the more recent case with Moeka, I find it weird about how she graduated right after centering a single and having a photobook etc. it can be because she had a scandal but she received the center after the scandal though... I think that getting hate from fans and probably having some problems inside the group made her think that it's not worth it (I mean even for her scandal, it was one of her classmates who sold the photos so I can imagine how bad she felt, getting hate from fans, problems in the group, and problems at school). The way she cried when she announced her graduation really felt like she didn't want to graduate and leave. I think that it wasn't in her plans but things happened. She said that the staffs tried to convince her to stay and she's sorry but that she decided to leave. it's like something happened and she decided to leave right after her center and with management trying to stop her from leaving. it's just a sad situation ._.

Of course I'm not accusing any member or anyone of being bullies, we don't know what happens, and we don't know who did what, but with a group this big, it's definitely expected that some girls will get excluded for reasons, and disliking someone for being pushed or popular wouldn't be too surprising.

Btw I also totally agree with you that seniors and juniors should be close because it creates a better atmosphere, better bond, fans will support more than just their oshimen, fans of older girls might transfer to being fans of new girls more easily once their oshi leaves, new girls would graduate less if they have many friends in the group, etc. I don't understand when some fans implied (even in this forum) that Moeka is an opportunist and "using others" to get popular when she became close to Sasshi (and Miichan and others) like... isn't this what every new gen should do... I'm sure that a lot of seniors are more than happy if new girls can be comfortable with them and become close but it doesn't happen because there's like a wall, and this definitely doesn't help the group.

Anyway, despite all these issues, I still think that pushing specific girls is necessary in such a big group, even if it creates problems with fans and possibly inside the group, I wish fans and members realized that anyone getting popular in the group is a help for the whole group. it's not just about the girls competing with each other and "who will survive" etc. the focus should be on making the group popular again, and anyone getting pushed and receiving popularity (especially popularity outside the group) is VERY good and necessary now.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    pushing these 5 youngest eitos as fixed centres is the only way to resuscitate AKB
    スクリーンショット 0002-11-18 15.44.44.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. sakurappu

sakurappu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    idol!Sayaka ✈️ singer!Sayaka
    Twitter:
    sakurappu_
    I think the biggest miss of the current AKB is there's none of strong personality girl among the new gen girls -which leads to management's decision to push girls with exactly same type. I mean, look at IxR girls. All of them are favored by management and got the biggest push among the units, but they are basically bunch of Mayuyu 2.0 -though some says Zukkii is dubbed as Sakura 2.0(?????)

Disclaimer: I don't say Mayuyu-like chara is bad-but if I have to choose between them with Nogi or Hinatazaka, which have same type that right-wing orthodox-type idol wota would like, I will prefer the later one.

What AKB management actually need is girls who have strong personality -and would be better if they have strong aura. Girls who not only right-wing wota would like, but also other-type wota would like and hopefully general public will recognize them. Moeka has kinda same chara like Milky (oh yes, we need fisher-type girl) which drew attention from most of wota -but then she went graduated and AKB went to downhill again (and that's before the whole of COVID-19 fiasco). And management's decision to push girls with same type made it worse.

We don't need bunch of Mayuyu 2.0 , but we don't expect Sasshi 2.0 and Miichan 2.0 (no, not the scandalous one), or Kojiharu 2.0 (though I believe NMB's Akarin is slightly Kojiharu 2.0). Just girls who make general public went immediately interested with AKB like Acchan before the Golden Era. Of course with other girls and management's support

With the current situation (dropped popularity, COVID-19 pandemic fiasco, dropped from Kouhaku 2020), I hope AKB management realize these and start fixing the internal. Pushing girls which have different type than IxR (would be better they push other units), fixing their SNS promotions, throwing away "the wall" between old gen and new gen, 17th gen recruitment, and new variety show for new gen girls. Just hoping the management will not do nothing and wait until Hii returns from South Korea (and make AKB great again -but it will cause right-wing wota go riot) :fear:

((maybe AKB management should learn from Cameron -no wonder he's still loyal to the namba girls))

=================

Of course she will not return to AKB... (and make HKT great again lewl)

Edited for better idea :awesome:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dutchie

dutchie Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    This idea that everyone benefits from the popularity of a center only works if everyone really benefits, but for the later gens the popularity of AKB48 as a whole was never an issue ... they were the number one idol group.
    And at that time the only thing that counts is your SSK ranking, the length of your handshake queue or the amount of screen time you get and every other member becomes a rival.

it's an inherent flaw of the formula

I have nieces that competed in artistic swimming (what used to be called synchronised swimming), a sport where you have team events and also individual events, so a team member can be your rival in the individual event ... suffice it to say that jealousy is something that regularly rears it's ugly head and bffs can become bitter enemies almost overnight, add some favouritism from a trainer ... and watch the fireworks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. Mana

Mana Under Girls

Yes AKB "were" the #1 idol group but it hasn't been the case anymore especially since 2017. They are not the top group now and lost majority of their shows, events, and now are not invited to big events like FNS and Kouhaku... They're in a different situation now. and being rivals is not a bad thing if it's done the right way. Those who take rivalry as having to be THE best and everyone else needs to fail, anyone who does better needs to be excluded/rejected etc., that's wrong, but those who take rivalry as a motivation to keep doing better and when others do better than you then have to do even more and so on (while still getting along), this kind of rivalry is helpful to the group and that's the kind of rivalry that old gens had.

AKB at that time was in a situation like where Nogi is now, the group is at the top and popular enough that they can switch centers, do their own thing etc. but AKB at debut or Nogi at debut weren't in this situation, they needed a member to make them big with the public and that's why they pushed specific girls as "top 2" (Acchan & Yuko, Maiyan & Nanase) and push other girls along with them (the rest of the first 2 rows in senbatsu) and it did benefit the whole group when these specific members managed to reach an audience outside the fandom. Right now this is what AKB needs since they're pretty much in a similar situation as their debut where they have to make members popular with the public.

To take Moeka as example, with her push and her singing skills, she managed to get the attention of many non-fans and it could have lead to something bigger if she stayed. She was invited (individually) at some shows during Sustainable promotion. But then she graduated. The point is if she stayed and build popularity, and let's say she really did get very popular outside the fandom, then those who would want to see her singing would watch the whole 48G singing competition event and find out about other girls, they would check the new AKB singles and learn about the music and members etc. and most importantly, AKB would be invited in more shows, if along with their brand name, there would be fresh members that they know that the public want to see. This is just an example but I really do think that if one (or 2-3) members get very big in popularity, it will benefit the group as a whole, it would be a "start" to a new chapter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    Honestly what brought AKB into the public's radar and ultimately, pushed them into the limelight was not the presence of ultimate center, but the NOVELTY it kept offering.

First, they was introduced as a group with huge number of members, and the sheer huge number of members was able to bring them into their first Kouhaku. They might be invited as part of akiba culture. But one couldn't deny at the time, their concept was unique, merging so many concepts at once:
    underground idols (or some sort),
    huge number of members,
    part of akiba culture,
    idol u can meet, etc etc.
    That was unique enough to put akb in the map.

- infamous events and incidences (the bus tour with fans, skirt hirari as a joke)
    -Then, Sousenkyo happened (along with Request Hour) and i can safely say sousenkyo attracted so many attraction from the general public because it, probably, was considered unique at the time.
    -Then, comes janken.
    -Then, comes team 8 tie-in.
    even when acchan graduated, it introduced novelty of 'war betweeen new aces'.
    and when sasshi won, it garnered a lot of public attention because people were like " how the f**ck sasshi won?", masaka?~? and then Koichun happened.
    even when 2014 infamous accident, it kinda gave things to talk.

AKBG keeps offering us novelty and then... for some reasons, it seems like they have run out new things to try.

Along with 46G, what makes 48G so special compared to them?
    Is there any loss if only one of the groups are chosen? no, right?
    i would argue tecchi 'scandal' actually helped Keyakizaka because... well, it garnered people's attention.

And the sponsors leaving after ngt48 incident probably hurts 48g to a greater degree we can imagine.
    (ngt was different to 2014 incident because in the ngt case, the perpetrator is within the 48g system.. so people do follow akb48g for the news, but they won't support 48g. unlike in 2014 case, i believe many actually give sympathy for 48g).

Also, there were so much tie-ins when akb was at their prime era. esp tomochin and acchan. to some extent, yuko and kojiharu. and that's why these members are so different compared to the rest. How about their current tie-ins? Not even Naachan got a huge tie-ins that could bring akb back to mainstream attention

Sasshi is smart enough to make every single talking points to solidify her position. and she was able to maintain her tie-ins. But sasshi is exceptional for that reason. I don't think any regular Joe (which mostly filled 48G , tbh) can duplicate that success. Probably not even Sasshi herself if she chose different direction.

unfortunately, comparing 46G to 48G is just not apple to apple. 46G have so many things to try. 46G can copy 48G events, and it would garner attention. Why? coz they havent tried ssk, etc. but 48g have done all of those.. so yeah..

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Tommy Idoc

Tommy Idoc Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    Just by reading everyoneś essays, I mainly got that Moeka shoulder stayed lol. But yeah, AKB has lost that novelty. They took away Janken, Sounsenkyo, yet they replaced them with nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    The girls have been saying for quite a few years now that they want to achieve performing at Tokyo Dome again. The fact that they are aware they're not popular enough to perform at Tokyo Dome again was already a sign for them, years ago, that they were losing fans. I think the last time they performed in Tokyo Dome was in 2014... that's honestly sad.

I think, right now, it would definitely benefit all of them if we have one, two or even seven super pushed members again. People need to be lured into AKB48 with those few people, so they can discover the other gems.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Doraleous

Doraleous Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Matsuoka Hana
    Now lezzsee, one has participated in theater less than the ghost of Yahagi Moeka, the one below is an NG loli, the next one below cuts her hair too short and the one on the bottom is moody af.

Reichama is ok, you do have decent taste.

12. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    I know, Mashiro is useless questionable, but I needed to include her if I wanted to include Reichama:twisted:
    Eitorio is the future but ok we'll include Fukutome(s) to appease you

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. best48fan

best48fan Kenkyuusei

Here's the problem: In their prime, they were able to get/keep people's attention. Now they can still get it but they can't keep people's attention anymore.

14. mikia

mikia Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    People love new toys, men love new girls. AKB ain't gonna re-garner their lost fans. They need to gain new ones.

Starting with NiziU, I'm afraid the Japanese idol industry will change a little bit and people will actually look for quality in dances and singing instead of boobie size.

And that leads to..

SAK NAK HII!

Izone has fans in Japan right? They're gonna disband next year right?? AKB has to utilize these 3 gems to the MAX!

Start with AKB kennin'ing Sakura and Nako. Hii to team A kennin and a new ace.

Not only will they get new Japanese young fans but international fans as well!!

Korean fans! They seem also young! They will try to see what Saknakhii does in Japan, they'll switch from private mail to AKB mail, they'll have stream parties for a new AKB single!

And with that AKB needs to put out songs like teacher teacher and also content that'd cater to the new fans.

In no time they'll be in next year's kotaku or whatever the heck that is!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

yep... spoken like a “true” fan of the Kreyz :awesome:

16. sakurappu

sakurappu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Twitter:
    sakurappu_
    Let me explain to you:
    1. Since its dissolution last 2017, seems like AKB management (and wota) don't want to revive SG kennin anymore -especially since there's eito girls and the pandemic haven't shown sign to slowdown
    2. Hii already becomes Team B kennin before IZ*ONE thingy. Also, having former Kpop idol in same AKB team with right-wing wota's favorite (read: Yuiyui) is a very bad idea

17. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    On the topic of centers and group faces, I actually think AKB may benefit from bringing back the W centers. AKB had Acchan and Yuko, SKE had Jurina and Rena, NMB had Sayanee and Milky, HKT had Sakura and Haruppi. Each group had an obvious main center, but they also had a friendly rivalry and for the sister groups, would often be paired together when being pushed. I actually found it interesting how in SSK, Jurina and Rena were almost always back to back in rank. They were promoted differently, and catered to different types of wota, but ultimately they were two strong idols who caused a storm when together. NMB was the same with Sayanee and Milky, while they focused on pushing sayanee a little more in nmb, they allowed milky to blossom in team b, and the girls found themselves ranking back to back as well. HKT was the anomaly here though. The accelerated push for Sakura but not Haruppi caused a very obvious gap that just kept increasing each year, and frustratingly so. The system that worked so well with SKE and NMB was pretty much scrapped with HKT. Luckily since Sasshi was also in the group, this didn't negatively impact them (until well... you know lol)

So I'm a big advocate of having 1-2 members be pushed together. It could also help eliminate the bad blood other members feel when they just see one girl getting all the spotlight. It feels a little more fair if that spotlight is shared between two strong girls. Nogi also did this well with Maiyan and Nanase until their graduations, and Sakura seems to be doing the same with their '3' centers. If AKB can follow what their sister and cousin groups have implemented, I think it would work well. YuiYui already has experience in the center, and Zukki, while new, can pair with her quite well...they actually remind me of Nagisa (Zukki) and Cheri (Yuiyui) from AKB0048 lmao. They also have Naachan and Yuiri flanking them, it's a strong front row that can do really well if mgmt just focus on giving multiple, but the same group, of girls the push they need to be recognized by the general public.

Another thing I think they could do is bring back sub groups. I know most of you guys may not like to hear it, but the kpop scene has been a thing in japan for YEARS, and AKB up until produce48 had all but ignored it (and instead go to a bunch of different countries with a way smaller idol scene?? but anyway). Now that Izone is a thing, we all expected them to also be like a sub-unit for 48g, but every time they release something in japan, it's clear there isn't enough effort being put into them compared to their time in korea. Meanwhile, the likes of JYP capitalized on that kpop wave, first with twice but then by making an actual jpop group with that kpop flair. And it worked, they're not even a year old but are already seeing Kouhaku lol.. I think AKB having different types of sub groups could be an interesting thing. A cutesy group like tentoumu chu that focuses on new cute "future" girls, and a group of established girls for a kpop/niziU type of group, to bring in both types of wota. Seeing how well ttchu worked out for those members, I don't see why bringing sub groups back wouldn't work out. That being said, none of the Izone members should be a part of that kpoppy sub group, maybe hitomi but.... thats it lol. Sister group kennins can stay dead.

And tbh they seem to already be doing this. NMB have the cute trio Lapis Arch, the dance kpop wannabe group Danceable!, and the popular hags in Queentet. AKB already have a good thing going with ixr, so I hope they continue to push them more.

• Like Like x 6
  18. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    I second this. I already mentioned them earlier, but No Sleeves, Watarirouka Hashiritai 7, French Kiss, DiVA, Not yet, etc. released some of my favourite songs. I also know NO NAME's "Kibou ni Tsuite" by heart, even though I never really listened to it actively – I just watched AKB0048. I still listen to No Sleeves' album, Watarirouka Hashiritai's "Hettapi Wink" and Not yet's "Pera Pera Perao" (even though "Shuumatsu Not yet" was probably more famous).

I had to look at the wiki to see what the most recent AKB48 units beside IxR were... what happened to all the other units that were announced at the unit festival this year? Honey Harmony and Melisma ring a bell but I don't remember any of their activities.

Another thing that I missed from the other more "recent" (very generous term) units, such as Tentoumu Chu! and Dendenmu Chu!, is that they weren't able to release individual singles. They only released songs as part of AKB48 singles. I understand why this is, but I wish we could have another unit that promotes individually – like MNL48's Baby Blue and BNK48's LYRA. I've been listening to their songs so much over the past couple of months even though I don't even listen to MNL48 at all, just because I was excited about new units with original songs.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sakurappu

sakurappu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Twitter:
    sakurappu_
    Seems like everyone forgets the whole of AKB new unit live festival thing :fp:
    Well, pandemic happens, and then AKB management only know IxR and ignore rest of the units :fear: #justiceforTinTlip

Anyway, AKB and IZ*ONE are confirmed to appear in FNS 2020 https://www.fujitv.co.jp/FNS/index.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    I didn't forget, I just mentioned the only one I think had a chance at doing well as a legitimate sub unit sdksksds
    And as you said, it seems like it's the only sub group from them all that management are willing to push as an official thing similar to what NMB has going on.