Matsubara Natsumi (Nattsumi) / 2nd Generation

Discussion in 'AKB48 Graduated Members' started by Kyobu, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Re: Matsubara Natsumi / Team A

^ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Having a bad attitude one day doesn't mean that Natsumi's a mean/disrespectful person. It just means that she's having "one of those days". I mean, you can't really blame her. She had just lost the Janken tournament. :D

I can understand if she did this more often, though. I hope people (well, more than the ones already) won't look too badly at her for it. ._.

2. Jasey

Jasey Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Most of the video is before the Janken tournament even started?

And really this was a good chance to advertise herself. Its not like this is being shown on national TV or anything, but still. I've been watching a few of them and Amina's and Umechan's made me like them more. The cameraman was trying really hard to talk to her and get some good footage but she wasn't giving him much. I feel sorry for him.

3. katastr0phical1

katastr0phical1 Kenkyuusei

Eh.. I dunno what she said.. and I could only tell from the visual part she seemed pretty uninterested in it.. but thats okay.

I think sometimes we forget, no matter how perfect we think these girls are, they are still human. (Eh.. verdict still out on Mayuyu..) Not everyday will be your best. It happens. Whether she just woke up in a funk, that time, an overzealous cameraman, all, or whatever the case may be, these girls go through a tremendous amount of stress. Imagine having your whole life, work and home, documented in some shape or form. The cameras are always on, blogs are always updated, news is always flying. Any little mis-step always turns into a big deal. Just saying.. I am not going to make any big fuss of this at all. I don't blame her a bit for having a bad day. Sure, on the other hand, it's your work/job and you gotta put on the good face, but sometimes its all just too much. I will always understand this. I don't see Natsumi being a bad person for this at all. I bet the next time you see her, she's back to her normal lovely self.

4. gyan

gyan Kenkyuusei

Watched it three times and... I still don't get see what's the big deal?
    She may have said "offensive" things (which i didn't understand) and i can't comment on so maybe that's reason to be negatively criticized.

Though in terms of her seeming uninterested or having a bad day I don't think that's really the case.
    In fact i think her reaction in the vid is quite genuine. Its not all smiles and laughter and stiff professionalism. What did someone expect? cute poses, non stop dancing, singing, saying seductive things on camera like the akbgame, a pillow fight???? [worried]
    OK i may be exaggerating ... i guess some would have preffered a quieter, caring, womanly approach that perhaps japanese culture expects especially from celebrities or role models or what not? It would be hard to find anyone like that 24/7.
    Its not like she acted all bad, she still smiled and answered question, and joked around with friends ... all this at the same time still doing her job preparations which involved rushing from room to room (which perhaps seem like shes tryign to avoid the cameraman).

I guess i am interested in seeing how the other girls reacted, i wouldnt' be suprised if similar reactions are found. Either way she still cool in my books!

5. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

Well... 2 interesting points.

1.- I doubt this video will "turn around" people... Natsumii's dislikers will still be Natsumii's dislikers and will put this as a proof or as an excuse to be one... and Natsumii's likers will still be Natsumii's likers and this video will be justified because of nervousness, or a bad day... (Though, I'm more inclined into thinking this was one of HER days... These girls are still... "girls"... and you know.

(My cousins as a mere example, those are days when they're just impossible)

2.- We should take everything we receive from this girls with the same "pro-girl" attitude... don't you think?.

6. oddball

oddball Member

Well perhaps she was just being honest when she said AKB was like a game to her.....

Gobolino gets it about right, you either like or dislike Nattasumi and this video will do very little to sway one group or the other

and lets not forget that AKB decided to release this, they are hardly going to put in footage of one of thier girls being higly offensive to a cameraman are they?

7. kenchanayoh

kenchanayoh Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki

i still need the dvd. do they ship overseas on amazon? why doesnt hmv or cdjapan have this?!

8. GenkiKoala

GenkiKoala Kenkyuusei

Late on this, but i tried doing a little of my own analysis. It is so long because (as evidenced by Natsumi being my most active topic here) I care about her, however I do not blindly follow anything. I haven't watched a lot of the other videos, but I'm assuming they are not as controversial as this one; therefore I will assume all of the other members put on their usual idol persona.
    Natsumi may have been annoyed by his questions, but i don't think it was as bad as Mayu's camerawoman, but we must take into consideration that Mayu got a woman and that the woman was very very polite. Natsumi's cameraman might have been too straightforward and lacked a game plan on how best to bombard somebody with questions since the goal was to video tape and get the girls to talk.

I thought asking if she ate bread every day and other questions while eating was annoying. Her breaking point was probably when Natsumi asked if the cameraman could come back in 30 minutes and then imo did lame acting in starting a conversation with Chikano to avoid him. Later on she turns her back to the cameraman using the chair as a shield.

While walking with Akicha and her camerawoman, Natsumi shouts “toilet” in order to give the cameraman the hint to stop following. What I don’t get about this is why did the cameraman follow her that far without knowing she was going to the bathroom? Whether she began walking with Akicha to the bathroom from the room or met up in the hallway is still indicative that there was a lack of effort on her part in communicating with the cameraman.

When walking to the changing room I believe she says “ここでもくるな” which I believe means “don’t come here” (obviously he wasn’t going to follow you into the changing room…) After changing, she asks the cameraman ずっといたんですか which I believe means “were you waiting here the whole time?” and he says yes and she says “kawaiso”. The intention could have been “I feel bad you were waiting” or it could have been “pathetic”. I’m thinking “pathetic” because she said it in a very offhand manner.

What I find most important is the fact that they allowed this footage to be released into the wild since it is too easy to be picked apart negatively. Assuming AKS is not trying to bomb Natsumi’s career with this, it means that the other footage must have been even more unacceptable or they were trying to make it appear light hearted (lots of text before and after the various times the cameraman waited for her which I didn’t try translating). They did decide to edit a little bit after she dropped the pickle in the soup which might mean she said even more annoyed phrases.

A part I believe should have been edited out was when I believe Natsumi made some joke about the cameraman after Wasamin came in. They didn’t put the Japanese subtitles so there is no way for me to know, but she says something that makes all of the girls give embarrassing laughs and look in the cameraman’s direction as if to observe his reaction.
    [​IMG]

Conclusion: The problem centers on the cameraman because in the beginning Natsumi was happy, continued to talk with many members, and had a nice chat with the guy with the janken? book so I am assuming she wasn’t having an “off” day. After watching the video you get the sense it was a personal war she was having with the cameraman and not anybody else. Everybody looks unsightly when angry, but Natsumi’s problem was that even if the blame is on the cameraman and not her own attitude, she took whatever the problem was too personal. For example Sae did plenty of fan service for the camera, but she wasn’t thinking about the cameraman, she was looking through the cameraman and aiming for the fans. Natsumi’s actions seem as if she was only focused on how annoying the cameraman was and not how the fans might view her later. This is very honest, however I have never seen an idol behave this way.

My belief that the problem is in the cameraman and not Natsumi might all be negated by the fact that she supposedly said that “AKB was a game to her”. I couldn’t find that part so she must have used a Japanese phrase instead of saying “ゲーム”. Maybe she has given up on ascending the ranks a long time ago (beautiful/amazing dancer and yet only in one single). Regardless there is a reason why people complain idols repeat the same stuff over and over again, and that is because they realize that 1 show of ugliness can destroy their whole image because they only appear several minutes at a time to the fans, so every action done by a girl is assumed to be part of her unchangeable personality.

Notes:
    Walked super fast whole time
    Dominates conversations with other members
    In beginning was more receptive and always answered the camera while looking at the camera directly, but later did not bother to give camera full attention (walking so fast that either the camera had her back or side of face instead of letting the camera “soak” their face like the other girls).
    jisho.org+popjisyo.com+Google translate= Wrong translations may exist and I didn’t try translating every subtitle so I may have missed some important info.

It ends with the subtitles (ふう~、任務完了!) which means something like "fuu, mission accomplished!" as if saying following Natsumi around was difficult. Does this mean these videos were edited by the cameramen themselves?! That might explain the questionable choice of including some damaging material. If not, the video editor recognized that what happened in the video may be dangerous and tried to lighten the mood which might explain the other subtitles in parenthesis throughout the video as trying to make it less serious.

9. Naomi

Which is one of the reasons why I was worried that it would affect what people thought about her. =/

I'm the same way as you, I think. I love Natsumi and all, but I'm not going to blindly defend her, either. I agree that she took it too personally... I'm not really sure what to say, to be honest. I mean, I really hope Natsumi's not disrespectful or anything in real life. Or maybe she was just joking around, I'm not sure. I don't like her less for any of this, mostly because I don't understand fully and I'm really confused. :D I will admit that the video was a slight turn-off, though, and she could have acted a little more... respectful, especially since she's an idol and all.

Anyway, thank you for the analysis! :D

10. clumsycarrot

clumsycarrot Kenkyuusei

The video isn't available any more?

11. oddball

oddball Member

^
    ^

Yeah I kinda agree with what you are saying Naomi, Nattasumi is one of my favorite members of AKB and I will still follow her beside the evnts in this video, as will all the Nattasumi fans and a video like this will not move them to abandon her I think.

I, like you feel it's really had to say something about this so I will say something that my parents used to use on me: I'm not upset, I'm just dissapointed!

@Genkikoala: As I said in an earlier post, AKS must of cleared this video content so perhaps there is a reason why they left some of this stuff in her video(though I must admit I'm not totally sure what, to prove Idols are human too or something perhaps) I can't see them trying to bomb an idols carrer using this video however.....

12. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

There are just more (and a lot more) of things going *around* these videos....
    Everything, even the most little movement here is planned, because for unknowing results (janken) you need knowing facts to balance.

I mean, there is more here than a view of Natsumii v/s AKS or the cameraman.
    The girl was just stressed like hell and I could bet 1x2 that she was in her days and that's all.

Besides, there are some other cameras that had... *some problems* there...
    I was doing an exam last friday, and THE WORST thing I did before, was to watch Ayarin's cam...
    the girl really put my nerves way higher than I can afford...

And I think a team edits those videos, I don't see the cameraman having some kind of personal revenge against natsumii... I think just that the one editing it, HAD to say something when the video ended, and by looking at what happened during the tape, the most logical thing to put was some kind of "Ufff, at last!".
    (Mission accomplished, no?).

What else?

AH!

This videos will PROBABLY be more "sold" between wotas and "made-fans already"... it's not that the most basic common public will watch this and say:
    - "Oh!, this girl has a really bad attitude... err... what was her name, again?"

I think that, being wotas or fans the ones buying the DVDs, it will be more like:
    - " Ooops, Natsumii, what happened to you?, lol... I guess you really had a bad day"

And that's all... that's why I said that Natsumii's fan won't be antis after this, and Natsumii's antis (or ANY of the girl's anti) won't be a Natsumii's fan after this...

So, I think very little if anything at all would be changed in fans opinion.,...

using mixi, her results were a little "on the down side" for just a couple of days, and then it turns back on the high again.
    (During december: + 39 )
    (During january* : + 15 )

(December: 31 days // January: 9 days)

13. mixedmedia

mixedmedia Kenkyuusei

Is this the video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMET1mE98W0
    I can see how some ppl would react negatively to it.

Not having watched it that carefully, it looks like a bad day/stress combined with an awkward cameraman.

14. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

Yeah that was the video.
    But as I said, the people buying the DVD set I think are all fand already so it won't change anything besides saying: "Natsumii was in one of her days" and period.

And the ones that dislike/hate Natsumii will grab the video as an excuse and justify by it their pathetic hate lives so...

it doesn't even matter.

it's still a valid source for Natsumii (lol) for her fans and that's all that matters in my opinion.

15. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

I really love Natsumi, but this video was really painful to watch ._. She's 20, not 14, and a professional, so whatever the reason she should've tried to think more of the fans than the cameraman. She was grumpy all the time.
    To be honest I already felt a little "eh?" after watching the interview at the end of the Natsumicha idol video. She looked more annoyed than happy to have made such a dvd, which I'd even agree cause idol videos are SO BORING XD but what shocked me the most whas that she pointed out a lot of times in a half-pissed way that she had to share her video with Misato and she wanted it to be solo, which I found quite mean to Misato.

I've always been attracted to Natsumi, besides her dancing, for her beautiful smile. Somehow I never expected her to have an angelic temperament XD, but seeing her being mean made me feel sad ;_;. Please help me make Natsumi go up in my ranking again? I don't want to keep feeling disappointed in her. ç_ç

Also, Gobo, there are other reasons why girls can be in a bad mood besides period, and there are girls whose mood is not influenced by their period at all (including me, I'm annoying 31 days a month XD), just for your future reference.

16. Naomi

Huh. If Natsumi really is like that, then I'm not sure what to think. :(

Edit
    Maybe that's just the kind of person Natsumi is... she jokes around, but it comes across as mean? I'm not sure. I feel bad for saying this, but I don't know enough about her to really judge. ^^; That, and I can't understand Japanese, so it's hard for me to learn more about her. Is there any other incidents where Natsumi's acted like this?

I've never noticed a change in my mood. :fear:

17. katastr0phical1

katastr0phical1 Kenkyuusei

Eeek.. yeah with my lack of japanese, i really didnt know what to think, but I know loveandcoffee does. Which puts a kinda.. ick.. feeling in me right now. I really wish this wasn't the case... and hopes it isnt a permanent thing..
    ..but what really sticks out now is what you said about the end of the Natsumicha.. :cry: I mean.. they're complete opposites.. it would seem (more so now.. :/), but why be upset about it? I <3 Misato...

I feel ewwie about this all right now.

18. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

What I mean is that some girls are just impossible during those days and some girls you don't even notice if they are or not... I'm trying to say that, whatever the reason it is (in Natsumii's case it could be that just as a hitch), when I say one of her days, I don't narrow the options to just 1 thing, it can be one of her days even meaning she just awoke in bad mood (not related to her body at all)...

One of her days when she is just in a bad mood if you want me to say it that way... I'm not female at all and the only day in the year you could find me in a nice mood is every February, 30th...

19. gekophetweb

gekophetweb Kenkyuusei

^ good one.

20. clumsycarrot

clumsycarrot Kenkyuusei

I just watched the video (I couldn't understand anything though), but I didn't find her to be an exceptional bad mood. To me, it looked like she was mostly playing around, maybe letting nerves get to her near the end..

At the very end, of course it's hard to be happy when you lose ...

I can't say she's high on my list of favourites (but that's because there are a lot of girls to love in AKB), but the video didn't make me hate her either. Perhaps I need to know more about her personality to be able to take this video into context?