1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single AKB48 20th [Sakura no Ki ni Narou] (2011/02/16)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by aakun, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sada

sada Kenkyuusei

Re: [SINGLE] AKB48 20th Single - [Sakura no Ki ni Narou] 02/

[party] YAY.

2. MrMojo

MrMojo Kenkyuusei

Congratulations, AKB48 [party]

The single hit a Million sales on 03/05/2011 which the group announced during a handshake event with over 25,000 attendees [clap]

3. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop

Thanks for the news! Let's see how other new singles could stack up in the future, as well as the upcoming album... (remember: the upcoming album does NOT have this single)

4. Rin

Rin Kenkyuusei

Er... I'm a bit late, but congratulations AKB48! [party] You guys rock [rock]

5. ichigo_princess

ichigo_princess Kenkyuusei

really like this song...

congrats to AKB...

6. honeysenpai

honeysenpai Kenkyuusei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtwbMs_9WYk
    Twitter:
    missingno15

Also, they have become one of the fastest selling singles that reached a million in only three weeks .

here, major cred to del for finding the article

I'm not too familiar with MM, but can someone enlighten me? Was MM THIS popular during their height?

7. frblckstr1

frblckstr1 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka

I do not think AKB is yet at the same level as MM (+H!P) during say 2000-2004. They might sell a higher number of CD's currently but that is not the same as all the shows and other things H!P was doing at that time.

AKB are close but they have to keep this going for a year or two to get equal.

8. ame-rin

ame-rin Member

Morning Musume's best first week was 600,860 (Koi no Dance Site) and their best total sales was Love Machine at 1,646,630. Their strongest year was the year 2000 in which they sold 4,959,054 copies.

TV shows-wise their main show was Hello! Morning in their prime, which ran for seven years from 2000-04 to 2007-04. They also had a show called Taiyō Musume to Umi (太陽娘と海) which ran for 2 months in 1998, Morning Musume no Heso (モーニング娘。のへそ) which ran for 9 months in 2000, and Friday Night wa Onegai! Morning which ran from 2000-04 > 2001-09.

As far as I can see Momusu never had more than one show running at the same time, unlike AKB's current Sakura Kara no Tegami (just ended), Shukan AKB, AKBINGO!, Ariyoshi AKB, and Nemosu TV seasons when they are being broadcast.

9. Meroron♥

Meroron♥ Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ogumatsugumi

^But all of those AKB TV shows are, like... AKB's. It's not like other TV shows inviting AKB in because of their popularity, it's just a matter of management having enough money to keep them running? And most of them air at late night too, not prime time.

I dunno much about H!P, but Morning Musume hosted 24h Television 2 years in a row, right? I think that sort of thing counts a lot. Lately it's only been JohnnysJohnnysJohnnys hosting 24hTV (even the not-so-popular groups, I suppose because of the agency's power lol), so I think when AKB gets to host it, it'll be a nice mark of their status <3

As for sales, a lot of AKB's sales are due to handshake events / elections & etc, where wota buy multiple copies; that's why their sales tend to be more exponential and concentrated on the 1st week than Momusu's old singles. Selling consistently over a long period of time, even if the overall sales end up being less, indicates that there are a lot of casual listeners buying, which shows, uh, widespread influence?

I know next to nothing about Morning Musume though, so I can't help that much, but those are my 2cents.

10. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

Uh, well, no. Management has no power whatsoever in this. It's the tv channels that set up shows, and even if Akimoto was richer than Bill Gates, they wouldn't air their shows if they had a bad commercial revenue (ie, if sponsors don't buy CM slots during AKB shows thinking "it's wasted money, no one would watch this show (thus our ads)").
    Also they have a prime time show now, "Naruhodo high school". It's starting in a short time.

btw, AKB DID co-host 24hTV this year XD and if you're referring to Tokio and T&T as "not so popular JE groups who hosted 24hTV", they might not have million sales, but they are extremely popular as TV personalities, especially Nagase and Mabo (as actors), Takki (as actor and overall celebrity), Taichi (as TV show host).

11. Meroron♥

Meroron♥ Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ogumatsugumi

^Well, serves to show how I little I know xD
    (it's just that AKBINGO has been airing for years, since way before their popularity boom, so I never associated it with "being popular" xD)

and I was honestly kind of thinking of NEWS, since they seem to be fading away with time T___T though I suppose Pi & Ryo at least get decent attention x______x

12. reddertar

reddertar Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuirena

In this era, there is no single even from the biggest artist like Arashi or B'z that's still sellin' the same kind of consistence as those 10 years ago singles anymore. Downloading(both legally and illegally) is a way too much widespread then no casual listeners now will buy the physical single after 2-3 weeks becuz most of them just go online and download it. So it cannot be compared about the consistence of single sales between two very different time.

In fact, some AKB singles like Hebirote are strangely consistent with 2-3k a week after 4-5 months, which is very uncommon for these day..

13. DSQ

DSQ Kenkyuusei

That's a myth. While illegal down loading is a problem, it is more the move from HMV to iTunes that is impacting oricon (since oricon does not count downloads).

Illegal downloading has mostly hurts artist's who release their albums first and then singals (the western method) rather than artist like akb (read: idols/avex artists) who release so many extras an such with their singels than the only sales they really lose are from people who would have just made a mix tape from radio play in the old pre mp3/CD days.

14. ame-rin

ame-rin Member

It's so ridiculous that oricon doesn't count iTunes and other digital music downloads..... I think it would be far more accurate a ranking if they did... It just makes sense.

15. Meroron♥

Meroron♥ Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ogumatsugumi

idk, I see Oricon as a "physical sales" rank xD not something to measure the popularity of the releases.

I don't want to lose a source of accurate sales info, but it would be nice to have a different chart that took all in consideration. I think the new Billboard Japan is kinda like that? though I don't sympathize with them much for some reason lol

16. BunnyKaisui

BunnyKaisui Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Miyazawa Sae

Looks like they made Gajin claim the rights for that video [hehe]

17. Kay

Kay Kenkyuusei

The music buying market has changed too much for MoMusu.and AKB to even be comparable in terms of sales. Illegal downloading plays it's part, but I think it's a very small part, because everyone know artist make more money off their merch than their CDs. The popularity of legal MP3's from iTunes is a larger part of the reason for this and there is even the use of cell phones in Japan. Casual fans are not going to want to buy a whole CD when they only care about the A-Side- because that's all they have heard. If they heard the A-Side and like it and want to buy it, they are going to go to iTunes or mobile phone download sites. I think the biggest difference is the handshake event tickets. Even with ABK's popularity now, I do not think they would sell as well as they are if they did not have those tickets, and I think that if Morning Musume. were to adopt the same idea, they would sell much better. AKB is marketed way differently than Morning Musume. is or ever was, so they will sell differently. There is no comparison between the two groups, and it baffles me why people would even try and compare them...

Kay

18. eyeless

eyeless Kenkyuusei

^
    It's like comparing Pentium III at 1999 with i7 at 2010, both are awesome at their time. [hehe]

19. emanc

emanc Kenkyuusei

Sales being concentrated on the first day or week doesn't mean that wotas are buying multiple copies and casual fans are not influencing it. It just means that AKB fans because of the handshake tickets are trying to get their hands on them as early as possible. Just look at the AKB foreign fans' buying habits for reference. They don't even have any use for those handshake tickets but they pre-order as soon as they are available on online shops. And they're not even wotas. Just look at the handshake event videos and what do you see. Mostly casual fans (kids, and teens not creepy wotas). The days when only wotas are the bedrock of AKB popularity is long gone.

And yes, AKB singles nowadays are staying on charts for several months not weeks. Months...

20. aakun

aakun Kenkyuusei