AKB's becoming more and more famous... do you like it?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Shoudou, Oct 28, 2009.

1. GenkiKoala

GenkiKoala Kenkyuusei

Seeing as I noticed AKB48 because of oricongoddess on youtube uploading the Oricon top 30, I would say that the popularity is awesome for them. Surely the members are getting more money out of this in order to compensate for the stress(although I heard they get most of their profit from the theater).

Problems is them being worked too hard. It's almost as if they are in "concert/promotional" mode everyday whereas other singers take breaks inbetween releases. I liken the problem to Korean pop groups, they seem very overworked and thus do not display the same carefree/happy personalities that many in AKB48 have. We have to remember that they are only high school age girls.

As for the growing fandom, I don't really care as long as I can have conversations with good people. Reading/watching online about the long lines at every AKB48 event already destroys any hope of meeting or attending their performances. (i hate lines)

2. ChrisjinXIII

ChrisjinXIII Kenkyuusei

I only started to get to know them recently, but regardless of their success anywhere i'll still think they're awesome. But at the same time i'll be proud of them if they get to the peak of their career in anything.

3. Malachite

Malachite Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    satosumire
    The more people out there supporting them, the better things will be for the girls themselves.

We can still meet our idols even if they're popular and wanting their careers to fail just so they'll give us more attention and remember us after a single meeting strikes me as being a bit selfish. I don't think the AKB48 fandom was ever meant to be a secret club.

4. vikacong

vikacong Kenkyuusei

There is one thing that make me wary about this phenomenon....

They will become the next Momusu.......

Add that with his massive expansion, we'll just see.

5. Malachite

Malachite Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    satosumire
    In what way?

They already overtook Momusu in terms of popularity a long time ago and their format is completely different. I don't understand why people keep comparing the two.

6. vikacong

vikacong Kenkyuusei

^
    In terms of popularity and recognition.

I am really sorry if I made some misunderstanding. It is just that, I am maybe one of those who do not really like them being too popular.

Once again, I am really sorry.....

7. frblckstr1

frblckstr1 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    ^ Nothing to be sorry about, the comparison is valid.

We will see in another 5 years if AKB goes the same road, I do not think 'River' is AKB's 'Love Machine' yet.

8. ccw

ccw Kenkyuusei

Agree with many of you. I mean of course I would hope for them to become more popular and spread the AKB love around, but if it comes to the point when its all that people talk about, I'm guessing a lot of the older fans will feel that their individuality has been robbed. I'm not saying im an old fan (just got into Akb lol), but thats what i think anyway.

Happened to me with Kpop anyway.

9. silv3rwolf

silv3rwolf Kenkyuusei

Of course every fan of akb48 want it. We want the girl the conquer the world with their cuteness and talent :D

10. berlaberla

berlaberla Kenkyuusei

I'm sure those wotas who goes to the theater won't be liking it. [hehe]

11. cabowabobobbo

cabowabobobbo Kenkyuusei

I'm lovin it !! I just realized that aKb with their recent comic book and so many other things, has just become the KISS of the idol world,,, [rock] thats fine by me,,thats a pretty good standard. maybe that was the plan all along or is this a unique move by management?? i dont think globalization is such a good idea because the fact that they are Japanese is their appeal

12. decoy

decoy Kenkyuusei

sometimes i think that being too popular would make them lose the feeling of nextdoor girl. :cry:

13. wakuseijin

wakuseijin Kenkyuusei

What do you expect?
    You want AKB to fade away like Momosu?

14. natsu7

natsu7 Kenkyuusei

agreed...
    not famous is not good.
    too famous also not really good
    but how AKB are now is prove that they already become better than before

15. shattering

shattering Kenkyuusei

No, I don't like it.

Why? Because now I have to stand longer in line to buy something, and it's been 4 months since my last (and it was also my first) theater ticket. And it is soooooo hard to get a ticket for a concert or event also (not to mention because of the people who buy only to gain profits from the tickets are also rising in numbers)

But...I also like it.

Why? Because I'm proud to be a fan of a famous idol group. I mean how can I not be happy that they are more and more famous now? And I also contributed on making them famous, at least to the people in my laboratory :D

So yeah, there is a good side and a bad side.

And I think Aitakatta is much more famous than any other song of AKB48.

16. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Adding on to what I said a while ago:

I'm glad AKB has become so popular. Since my favorite member isn't popular, it gives her a chance to gain more exposure. I think without AKB's popularity, she (and a bunch of other girls) might not have gotten signed to agencies, so we wouldn't see them as often. There's more opportunities to see the lesser popular girls now (not as much as the more popular girls, of course, but it's better than nothing, especially since the majority of them have blogs), so I'm glad for it. :)

17. vikacong

vikacong Kenkyuusei

I like it AKB48 to become more and more famous but I do not want AKB48 to become too popular. Lambhorgini brand is famous isn't it? But is it popular? How about Naruto? Is it famous, popular or both?

18. natsu7

natsu7 Kenkyuusei

Great one vikacong
    Famous and popular have different meaning
    [clap]

19. chiuchimu

chiuchimu Member Stage48 Donor

Is there anger over AKB48. popularity.

I was talking with a new co-worker who recently came from Japan. I was talking about AKB48 and how big they are becoming. She commented that the sudden explosion of AKB48 on TV is causing a big back lash by the audience. People Emailing TV shows saying that they will stop watching if the show ever puts AKB48 back on. Or they found the girls extremely rude. Stuff like that.

My ability to read kanji is really bad so I can't read tabloid news. What she said really shocked me so I want to know the truth. Has anyone heard of stuff like this?

20. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

^ First time I'm hearing about the backlash...but at the same time, I'm not surprised there is one at all. I am curious, though, about the statistics of these people sending complaints - number, age, gender, income level, etc. Do these people really represent a sizable sampling of the general public opinion? Or are they mostly mostly comprised of a niche of the overall market?

*Wonders how management will respond to this if they haven't taken any actions yet*