1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

ANIME thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by CDevil, Jun 11, 2007.

1. CDevil

CDevil Member

So...are there any anime fans here? For those who don't know, anime is Japanese animation, and is currently one of Japan's largest exports. I personally like anime due to it's diversity, and unlike a typical western 'cartoon', anime isn't only aimed at kids.

My interest in anime has recently gone down due to watching too many drama's and J-music related stuff, but it would be interesting to see how many of us are interested at all in anime.

To start off it would be good to know what title's you guys are interested in. Personally I love Rumiko Takahashi stuff (Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku in particular <3 ) and long drawn out shounen shows like One piece. Other good stuff are comedy's like School Rumble, and then more adult orientated shows like Evangelion and Elfen Lied.

2. Aiko

Aiko Kenkyuusei

Dear god but I loved Elfen Lied. And what little I saw of Chobits before I got bored.

3. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

I've been into anime for a good 8 years now. I like just about every genre of stuff except for shoujo or yaoi-related things. Unlike most, I also watch anime made before 1995. Macross, Akira, Patlabor and old Gundam are uber ownage. I'll give anything a try, though. I've only turned down a handful of shows.

4. CDevil

CDevil Member

Elfen Lied is great. If anyone's interested in Elfen Lied, THIS screencap should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect :lol: (it has a lot more than that of course, very very gripping stuff)
    I think I started around 8 years ago too, with Pokemon lol. I only started watching it seriously in the last 3 years though. I'm not really a mecha type person, I can watch them but they don't interest me as much, particularly the older ones such as Macross and Patlabor (haven't seen Patlabor though). I've got to check out the original Gundam eventually somehow. You don't like shoujo? I loved Cardcaptor Sakura <3
    Yeah Death note got a bit stale after a certain someone dies. When it was good it was excellent though. You should have stuck with it until the ending, it was worth it IMO.

5. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

Well, I just say I don't like shoujo because I don't like it usually. Escaflowne had some shoujo elements, right? Well, I loved that show. Also, see Patlabor if you get a chance. It has many incarnations. The OVA's are great, the first two movies are AWESOME, and the TV show is pretty good. IMO, Patlabor is what a robot show should be. The mecha is not really what makes it a great show. Instead, it's really driven by the characters and that's what drags you in. The robots are just props in the scene most of the time.

6. Twintails

Twintails Kenkyuusei

My attention span is too short for anime/manga these days. XD; I still like to rewatch my old favorites sometimes, though.

7. transcendental_protagonis

transcendental_protagonis Kenkyuusei

Gundam = ownage, but Dragonball/Z, Yuyu hakusho and scryed are also fantastics. I've watched a lot of anime but these one are my favorites

8. CDevil

CDevil Member

:lol:

What was the spoiler you read? My friend spoiled the series for me too when he said so and so dies, he then made it worse by saying he comes back to life...and I believed it until the very end :confused:
    That's good to hear, because I think it was the mech designs that put me off watching it at first.
    That's the same with me really, which is why I try to watch 14 episode series as much as I can. I don't read manga though for some reason, it's just not as appealing to me as watching something.
    I was obsessed with DBZ, it's still one of my favourites. Now that I look back at it, it's a bit cheesey :lol:

9. Aiko

Aiko Kenkyuusei

Q: How many DBZ characters does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A: Just one, but it'll take five episodes.

10. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    I totally ROFLd at that :lol:

My interest in anime reduced over the years, I used to be obsessed with it as a kid though. I had posters, manga, tapes, plushies, everything was pretty much anime-related. Haha. I still like it a lot though, and I watch my favorite shows from time to time.

Some of my favorites include Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, Magic Knight Rayearth, Rekka no Honou, Ah! Megami-sama, You're Under Arrest!, Gatekeepers and a whole bunch more. "Fushigi Yuugi" still remains my top anime series EVER! <3 For the the plot, the characters, the music, everything.

I love a lot of CLAMP stuff too.

11. CDevil

CDevil Member

:lol: I've heard that somewhere before but it's still funny.
    I've seen about 5 episodes of Fushigi yuugi, it was good. I'll have to try and finish it some time. The English dub is awful though.

I've heard good things about the series you mentioned, especially Gatekeepers (a music video of it was on these cheap, bad quality pirated anime VCD's my mum brought back from Manila lol), but I've only seen a few of them unfortunately :cry: . I heard they show Ranma 1/2 on TV in the Philippines :shock:

12. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    Haha, yeah they do.

They used to show just the subbed vesion, which I loved. Then they replaced it with the same series, of course, except now it has horrible dubbing :evil:

For the record, 'Fushigi Yuugi' and other shows like 'Rurouni Kenshin' have some of the best dubbing ever. I still prefer subs over English voice-actors any day though, but that's just something to point out.

13. Aiko

Aiko Kenkyuusei

Fushigi Yuugi and Fruits Basket have awesome manga. <3

14. transcendental_protagonis

noone has talk about naruto yet ahahah that's cool

15. CDevil

CDevil Member

Was it the English Ranma dub, yeah that's really bad, I hate how they pronounce the names (RaRnma :confused: ). They do have tagalog dubs as well though don't they?

The English dub cast for Fushigi Yuugi's OK, except for Miaka, who is really annoying. And since she's the main character, it ruins everything for me. Rurouni Kenshin is really good, the English Kenshin sounds better than the original IMO, definitely more manly.
    The Fruits basket manga is really popular here, it's always in book shops. I'm not too fond of reading manga though, I don't find it as appealing or exciting as anime, even though I've been told they're almost always better than the anime versions.
    :lol: I'm guessing XxUchihaItachixX is a Naruto fan, maybe he'd like to talk about it lol. Naruto's good, better than Bleach, but nowhere near as good as One piece. And those are the big 3 shounen shows at the moment. Rock Lee's one of my favourite characters ever.

16. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    Yeah, they have Tagalog dubs as well, but I can't watch them because I'm not exactly that fluent in Tagalog yet :lol: There are moments I'm just "?", haha.

17. transcendental_protagonis

One piece indeed is one of the best shows at the moment, bleach is cool too but none of them is good as DBZ :D

18. Rina the Robot

Rina the Robot Kenkyuusei

I don't watch all that much anime or read manga these days, I'm only keeping up with a few series.

Nana (anime and manga)
    Nodame Cantabile (the anime is so good :shock:)
    Hellsing OVA (already finished the other anime, haven't read the manga)

I've been into anime for 4 years now, I used to be in the school anime club and everything :lol: I remember I used to have trouble getting to meetings because it met at the same time as chess club. Oh well! Tokyo Babylon and Hellsing are still my favorite series of all time. I used to read a lot of shoujo, too. Kare Kano and Kare First Love were always some of my favorites.

I'll stop rambling now ;)

19. haruna_hamasaki

haruna_hamasaki Senbatsu Staff Member Studio48 Admin

my fav animes:
    Vandread, Wedding Peach, Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, Midori no Hibi, Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, Groove Adventure Rave, Tsubasa Chronicle, Chobits, Ouran High School Host Club, Death Note, Paradise Kiss

20. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    ^ I used to watch Vandread too, but mostly in private because people consider it a "guy's anime" :lol: