1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Gyoten Yurina (Yurina)

Discussion in 'AKB48 Members' started by HoneyRoastedPeanuts, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Tk-Tonkla

Tk-Tonkla Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Fukuoka Seina
  2. qpet

qpet Future Girls

Yurina Gyoten
    [​IMG]
    AKB48 Team 8 member representing Kagawa Prefecture. Born on March 14, 1999. Her hobby is dancing. Recently, she enjoys trying out various bath salts in the bathtub. “I am really happy that there are so many meet and greet events with fans all over the country.”

My grandpa’s meat udon is my favorite
    [​IMG]

I am Yurina Gyoten, an AKB48 Team 8 member representing Kagawa Prefecture. Kagawa is known for its udon noodles. I will cover the topic of “eye-opening udon.”

I love udon. One of my favorite qualities of udon in Kagawa is its firmness. In other words, it’s filling and chewy.

Before I started this job as an idol, I would eat udon at least once a week, sometimes three or four times a week. There were even days when I would eat udon three times a day at my grandma’s house.

In Kagawa, there are as many udon restaurants as convenience stores. There are famous restaurants where people will line up, but I like to go to a nearby restaurant in order to be able to eat quickly. There are a lot of cheap places where a bowl costs less than ¥200, so it’s about the same price as a soft drink. Our fans often ask me, “Which restaurant do you recommend?” but I tell them, “Each restaurant has its own unique flavor, so it’s best to just walk around and try all the different places to see which is your favorite.”

I also enjoy eating udon at home. I love my grandpa’s niku udon (udon with sliced meat). My grandpa buys fresh noodles at a shop, but he makes the soup stock himself. The flavor is rich and delicious. I always looked forward to the nights when my grandpa would make me udon for dinner because my parents would come home late.

This is my “udon life.” In 2018, it was actually the first time I ate “Toshikoshi soba” or “year-passing soba.” Until then, I always ate udon instead of soba noodles, which is the traditional New Year’s Eve meal in Japan. I think in Kagawa Prefecture, a lot of families are the same, but I’ve never actually checked...

When it comes to udon, I can’t stop talking about it, but I’ll have to end it here. I hope you will read my other columns.

Sometimes, simple is best
    [​IMG]

This time, I want to talk about my own obsession with udon noodles, titled “Gyoten School’s Way of the Udon.”

I know this is sudden, but I’m really not all that adventurous when it comes to udon. I only order kake udon (udon in a hot soup) or bukkake (udon with broth poured over it). Whether I eat it hot or cold, depends on the season. Because these two udon menu items are the simplest, I think the flavors are the easiest to compare across various restaurants.

My dad usually orders a large udon plus a side of rice. Just like how people in Osaka usually eat rice with okonomiyaki, people in Kagawa usually eat rice with udon. I think rice is treated as a side dish for these meals.

When I was a child, we usually had udon with rice or bread for our school lunch. That’s why I’m surprised when people from other prefectures are surprised.

The toppings I put on udon are almost always the same. It’s this sweet, boiled, deep-fried tofu called aburaage — locally known as Oagesan — or chikuwa fish cake tempura called Chikka-ten.

Oagesan has a different taste depending on the restaurant, like it might be thick or thinly sliced, the broth that’s soaked in might be rich in flavor or watery, so the taste can change completely. I don’t know if the restaurant is calculating how much flavor the Oagesan actually soaks up, but I love trying out the different tastes.

I do think being adventurous is important, but to be honest, I only want to eat what I love!

I eat ramen when I’m feeling really “udon sick”
    [​IMG]

Since I started this job as an idol, I have been to many places in Japan for concerts, TV shows and meet and greet events with our fans. In this entry, I’m going to write about what I do when I feel “udon sick.”

Actually, there are a lot of various types of udon in different places all over the country, so I still get to enjoy udon even when I’m working or filming on location. But sometimes, I really want to eat Sanuki udon from my hometown, and when I get that udon sick feeling, I just have to bear it.

But there is a limit to my patience, so sometimes I eat ramen — my second favorite. The best is tonkotsu ramen, which has a pork based broth. Udon is relatively light, so I like the opposite when it comes to ramen. At restaurants, I will always order tonkotsu ramen. Even though they’re still noodles, I don’t eat much soba or pasta, it’s always either udon or ramen. It’s probably something that makes me a little difficult.

You might think, “There are Sanuki udon restaurants in other prefectures, so why don’t you eat there?” But if I’m out with friends my own age and ask, “What should we do for lunch?” we might say, “Let’s eat ramen!” but “Let’s have udon” never really comes up. Udon is a common answer in Kagawa, but I wonder why it’s different in other prefectures.

I just really love carbs. Sometimes I think I’m probably eating too much, but it tastes so good, I can’t help it. People from Kagawa eat udon every day, and they don’t seem too worried about it, right?

What if I opened an udon restaurant?
    [​IMG]

After I asked people on Twitter to tell me what they wanted me to say in this column, I received heaps of title ideas. Thank you.

I would like to consider the theme “What if I opened an udon restaurant?”

First of all, the name of the restaurant would have to be “Gyoten,” my family name! My nickname is “Ten ten,” so at first I thought “Ten ten tei” would be good, but since my family name makes an impact, I chose it instead.

As for the menu, I myself only eat bukkake or kake udon, so it is difficult for me to decide what to serve. Which would be better, adding your favorite dish to the menu or providing a unique dish? How about udon pizza or udon sweets as recommended menu items? I’m looking for Instagrammable dishes such as one that looks like udon but is actually a dessert.

The meat udon that my grandpa makes is really delicious, so it might be good to make that as a signature dish. It would be nice if there was one for young people and one for locals. I’m so greedy. Should I register a trademark such as “Gyoten’s Meat Udon Noodles”?

It would also be good to have a large window at the restaurant so that you could see the udon being made from outside. I can’t make udon, so I’d have to ask chefs to do that. No, no — I will try my best, although it looks very hard.

Dad’s special noodles
    [​IMG]

I often watch news about the roles of men and women at home, such as a husband and wife sharing housework and men taking childcare leave.

My parents both work. When my Mom comes home late at night, my Dad does the laundry. They support each other and share the housework. So there is no such thing as women only doing housework and men only working outside the home in the Gyoten family.

But there is an unwritten rule in both my parents’ and my grandparents’ house that udon is made only by men.

My Dad is from Kagawa Prefecture but my Mom is from a different prefecture, so my Dad may have a feeling that “I’m better at making udon.”

But above all, my Dad loves to eat udon. On my days off, if I ask them, “What are we going to have for lunch today?” Dad says, “Is udon okay?” He often starts making udon before I even notice. When he asks, “Do you want to eat?” we all answer, “I do, I do!”

My Dad really pays attention to the firmness of the noodles. He is very particular about it. And he always makes sure the udon is boiled carefully. Also, my grandpa is good at making meat udon, and he is an expert in making authentic dashi soup stock. I love the taste of homemade broth made with ingredients like iriko dried sardines or dried katsuo bonito.

Come to think of it, I haven’t heard much about who makes udon in other families. But I guess this is natural because we don’t usually ask someone, “Who cooked dinner at your home yesterday?”

https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0006319213

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Aka

Aka Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Sakaguchi "Tenshi" Nagisa
    Somewhere with steak.

4. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    Suddenly steak?

5. nigamushiotoko

nigamushiotoko Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    ≒JOY
    Twitter:
    hakata345
    the fuk is that?!

6. qpet

qpet Future Girls

don't ask him
    bukkake

7. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    [​IMG]

8. Aka

Aka Under Girls

Oshimen:
  9. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    Yurina does look like someone who'd enjoy a HALO jump indeed

if the video does not show watch the video here

• Like Like x 1
  10. qpet

qpet Future Girls

she looks so cool with that ponytail and cap.:cute: I'd jump with her if she asked me to:awesome:
    and she's still the prettiest member even if she makes faces like this:hehe:
    [​IMG]

11. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    I of course completely agree with you, girls with caps are automatically prettier, but why are you saying such nice things suddenly?:oops: Is it because it's Valentine's Day?:awesome:

12. qpet

qpet Future Girls

no it's just that I haven't seen her SR that day, only here on s48, and it just struck me how beautiful she is, while wearing simple clothes, black hoodie with cap, I can only imagine she wore (skinny)jeans.. dreamlike :drool:

13. Aka

Aka Under Girls

Oshimen:
    This is sad, @nvmea. Please...

14. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    how cute. I'll write a fanfic about you as well:awesome: