1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

How come K-pop fans don't branch out to AKB48 and J-pop in general?

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by mdo7, Apr 14, 2016.

?

what factor is turning off K-pop fans from becoming potential fans of J-pop and AKB48 in general

1. accessibility

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. not being open-minded to other Asian pop

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. former J-pop fans turned K-pop fans not introducing J-pop to current K-pop fans

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. weird music video, concept (yet K-pop has concept which "out-weird" J-pop)

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. other factors (please list them on the thread)

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mana

Mana Under Girls

I will talk about 3 of your points.

1) The reason why Kpop groups win on online polls or awards like Youtube award or MTV award, is because those awards depend on online voting. Kpop fans are crazy when it comes to online voting. They'll do anything to see their favs win. I think international fans of Kpop don't often spend money on Kpop. of course some of them do, but most fans don't go to concerts, travel to Korea, buy albums online etc. so they're far more dedicated with "free" ways of supporting, which includes streaming videos and voting online. and the reason why they win those online votings is because Kpop groups have huge fandoms in China. I don't think Kpop is "mainstream" in China, not that much, but some idols are huge in terms of fandoms. This includes Big Bang, T-ara, SNSD, EXO... so yeah, it's not surprising that those groups end up winning the online polls when they have thousand of fans spamming, and often those fans find ways to cheat (voting with bots).

Now here's the thing, since the middle of 2016, because of political issues (THAAD), China started a "ban" for anything korean, like dramas, Kpop and more. This will definitely affect Kpop imo. Those who are already fans will stay fans, but I don't think they'll get many more fans. depending on groups, this can affect them. Groups like TWICE won't be affected, because they already got indirectly banned from China since the issue (and false accusations) against the taiwanese member Tzuyu. but most other agencies, who invest a lot in China, will definitely get affected, which will affect Kpop as a whole.

2) The reason why AKB doesn't get many international fans as before, it's simple, they simply aren't as attractive as a group compared to before. I've been a fan since 2010 and I remember promoting AKB to other people (including Kpop fans) and many of them turned into AKB fans easily. They enjoyed the songs and find favorite members. but nowadays how are you supposed to promote AKB to anyone when their sound keep changing, there's no consistency. They release slow songs with slow dance (or no dance) this is just not attracting new international fans. in order to get more international fans, they would need upbeat music with good dance, and pretty members. that's the main reason why Kpop is popular. and AKB would be just as popular if they were still doing what they used to, but it's clear they moved on from that, which made many AKB fans move on too, and less people (internationally) joining the fandom.

Another issue is how AKB videos are blocked in some countries, or the copyrights getting stronger. Someone who's new to a group is probably not ready for this, most people get to know a group through easy ways like Youtube.

3) The difference between AKB fans and Kpop fans. Kpop fans are just much more dedicated in promoting their favs everywhere. Even for the most random and unknown Kpop group, you can find Twitter accounts dedicated to them, sharing all their news in english. AKB doesn't even have that. we had AKB-daily (just for general news) and a few other sites, but most of them stopped or closed. I can't even find a Twitter in english reporting general news. Even for the members individually, most of the "english" speaking fanbase on Twitter are actually fans from Indonesia (the "INA" at the end of their accounts) who translate to english for international fans.

And when you talk about these issues, most AKB fans (here on stage48) will say "you can find news on japanese website or chinese website", if you ask if a video will get subbed, they say "just learn japanese". I think that shows you how AKB fandom is just not here to share, promote etc. that's why there aren't more fans joining. and before someone jump at me for saying this, I don't even speak japanese but I have made efforts to translate blog entries and other things for my favorite AKB members. (I used to, now not so much LOL) I wasn't forced to do it, it's because I wanted them to have more fans, that's what I mean when I say there is no passion in the AKB fandom now. Keep in mind that it takes much longer for someone who isn't fluent to translate something. I get that the fandom is probably lacking fans who actually speak japanese. but even sharing news and posting the latest videos and all, not many people do this. Only 7-8 members in the whole 48G have actually really active and updated threads.

Now this doesn't mean AKB aren't popular. Overall they're more popular than Kpop and that's because Japan alone is a big market. I mean, just look at the Twitter of different members and you'll see they get more likes/retweets (and followers) than most "official accounts" of Kpop girl groups. Even if it's mostly japanese fans for AKB girls, but still. Maybe this is why they don't feel the need to appeal to international fans. but I still think it's sad how there's no more consistency from their releases, no more "idol" vibes. They're an idol group... imo they shouldn't try being something that they aren't. Their sales will stay the same anyway. So I don't understand why we can't get more Kibouteki Refrain-type of songs (it's probably the last good "upbeat/idol" song they did as a-side)

I think that's all I have to say. and this is the answer about why AKB doesn't have as much international fans as Kpop right now. I personally still follow AKB despite losing interest compared to before... and I know Kpop for even longer than AKB but I'm not that crazy about Kpop right now, I'm just a TWICE fan.

This was long XD but I said everything I wanted to say.

2. mdo7

mdo7 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    mikedo2007
    @Mana Your response post is probably the best one I've seen out there.

I know that, but the question is why don't we see this in J-pop or J-music? I mean if you go back to my first page you would've seen this article from AramaJapan.

Does it bother you that J-pop fandom don't show this type of passion or the same mannerism like their K-pop counterpart?

Actually, we do spend money for our idols. If we didn't, then K-pop wouldn't be charting high on Itune chart, and Billboard World Album and other charts on Billboard in the US.

This is why we have Youtube, Naver's V app, and other mean for international fans to keep in touch with K-pop idols. So far in J-pop, I don't see anything that come close to the Naver V.

It's going to be real bad since China will continue to retaliate against South Korea. I'm afraid a "complete and total shutdown" on Korean pop culture will happen in Mainland China. Japan although it's profitable but it's not a big moneymaker like it was in the past. Add the tension between Japan and South Korea over several issues like the Dokdo Island, and this:

if the video does not show watch the video here

So K-pop is going to have difficult time in Japan because of this tension.

I do agree that K-pop will have to expand to Southeast Asia, Latin/South America, and Australia to make up for the lost of China. But we're not even sure if those three area are lucrative as Mainland China. K-pop may have no choice but to take the European, and North American (both US and Canada) market to make up for the loss in China. But pushing K-pop into North America and Europe may face racist backlash, which is another story I'll explain, I don't want to veer off topic.

I can't speak or give any thought on that since AKB48 MVs are blocked in the US. It's not only AKB48, but a lot of J-pop artists songs are hard to find in the US.

Regarding the bold and underline part, that seem to be the opposite for K-pop. Are you a fan of G-friend, they normally do cute concept, but their recent comeback, they took a different concept:

And their fans still loved it even if it depart from their cute concept. Also, do you know CLC? This K-pop girl group from Cube is underrated until this recent comeback:

which is real different from their previous concept:

CLC's hobgoblin became so popular amongst international K-pop fans, their recent album made it high on Billboard world album chart, and digital sale charts in the US. CLC has never charted on Billboard chart until Hobgoblin. So I don't know how people outside of Asia like CLC's new song, It could be speculated that CLC brought back memory of 4minute with that song given that Hyuna did help with it.

So I don't know why when AKB48 changed concept, international fans didn't like it but when CLC and G-friend does it, they get a lot of love no matter what. Again, this raises more question about J-pop fandom and raises more question if double standard exist in how people view J-pop and K-pop.

I can't speak for that but I'll say this: If what you say is true about AKB not being attractive anymore, that may explain it. It might explain why IOI and WJSN/Cosmic Girls had more international fans then AKB despite AKB, IOI, and WJSN are all mega girl group.

Which is not good. Even NHK World radio Japan have started to put more restriction on playing J-pop as in I can't playback that broadcast on demand (there was a time on NHK World Radio Japan, we can playback J-pop on demand, but not anymore).

I see, it's not only AKB but a lot of J-pop fansites have closed/shut down. I don't disagree with you about K-pop having a lot of fansites, Twitter and Facebook fan account. I can find a lot of it. But for J-pop, they're either non-existent or never active after many years.

Well, I'll never understand that mentality. But I'll say this: I'm seeing more evidence of international artists from Asia and elsewhere taking the Korean music market more seriously then Japan.

Well your post is probably the best one I've seen and the most logical one. Can I ask you a question: What is your thought about the 2 Taiwanese artists debuting in South Korea right after Tzuyu of Twice became popular in Korea and Taiwan? Do you think if Mana, Sana, and Mina of Twice became popular in South Korea, would that make J-pop and J-music artists/idols take South Korea more seriously? I mean I'm seeing Hollywood and international artists are pandering to South Korea like it's the new "China".

3. TheFamily

TheFamily Kenkyuusei

Death metal have bunch of music festival worldwide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_festivals

So?

Oh my:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    And this is going to prove Kpop is mainstream, how? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is a new level of mediocrity mentality, you make it sounds like they won a grammy award. Next time they appeared on Movie Soundtrack you and your korean shills will celebrate it like they win Nobel prize.

And please, stop use articles from 2014 when Kpop is dying on 2017, that's not going to prove anything. Also, random Kpop groups wont replace most notable group which got disbanded or went hiatus few years ago, stop being delusional.

I know you're here too seek reassurance because of those struggle, but I'm afraid I've got some BAD NEWS!!!

Kpop = FINISHED

4. mdo7

mdo7 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    mikedo2007
    You still don't have evidence that K-pop is declining, if you showed it to me, I might take you more seriously.

5. trxsh

trxsh Member

Actually this is true, death metal is mainstream. I have """evidence""" too
    Here is a death metal performance on a late night talk show

Bonus- Here is death metal featured on an episode of Spongebob!

I hope it's ok if I use this thread from now on as an opportunity to shill my favourites and attempt to educate the peasants of this forum about music, just as OP has been using this entire thread to do.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  6. TheFamily

TheFamily Kenkyuusei

Translation : la la la I can't hear you

Death metal is curbstomping Kpop in popular cultures (movie, video games, TV shows), Celebrities approval (Norman Reedus is a huge fan of Slayer, for example), and media coverages.

Meanwhile, Kpop achievement is got featured on random talk shows and NFL. And they bragged it as if it's worth something......... my sides. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, I guess it's time for me to shill my favorite Band for death metal category.

With their former vocalist.

With their new vocalist.

7. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

lmao jealous

If I had to guess, the online community for Jpop went a bit to hell when Jpopmusic disappeared/moved.
    It was the biggest online message board for Jpop and it just went puff.

That doesn't mean people stopped listening to Jpop, just that they decided to do so individually, or they found forums to talk about specific artists (like this one), etc.

As for Kpop not branching out to Jpop... do you realise that the sounds and image are completely different?
    Kpop is all about hot guys/girls singing catchy tunes. Jpop is not.

I didn't even know that thread, but thank you because there's a really good post there.

That's the best answer to the opening question in this thread and the one you're trying to rebuke with every post you write because KPOP IS SO SUPERIOR OMG.

Kpop isn't about branching out, it's about offering the music worldwide because people in South Korea won't spend a won in music.
    You can find almost every kpop artist on Spotify, but you can't find many Jpop ones. Why? Cause they are content with what they sell in Japan.

If Kpop was such a worldwide phenomenom, why hasn't any group actually made it to the mainstream media?

Rain flopped.
    BoA flopped.
    Wonder Girls flopped.
    Girls' Generation flopped.
    2NE1 never even debuted (flopped).
    CL is taking so long that you can consider her the biggest Kpop flop ever.

There's a difference between having 20 weabos making video-reactions from their bedrooms and having people actually listening to kpop casually.

So please, stop trying to make Kpop great again.

It's not happening.

8. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    ...in a disco-bar with a maximum capacity of below 3000 people? Also, there's no mention in that article of how much of the venue was actually used, let alone filled, for this performace, but I'll let anyone take a guess. Sorry, but even for this country's stadards that's still niche, especially if you consider that during the same year a Jpop group like Denpagumi at least got to perform at the Japanese salon of the Milan world expo.
    Reading around some more, I also found out that the event was organized only thanks to a certain association called KpopItalia, which happens to have ties with the Korea Tourism Organization according to their Facebook page. In other words: they certainly didn't come here on their own will, or because they were popular. So, there's your explanation.

I just wanted to point out how naive it was for some clique of foreign fans to interfere in some other country's award and powervote into the first place someone who's totally unknown in such country — at least they should've tried doing it where it wouldn't have raised any suspicion. Now, however, I'm also starting to realize how deep the Korean government is involved in propping up this "boom", as if couldn't get any more artificial.
    Someone else has already mentioned how much of a farce these online polls ("fan-offs") are, so I'll avoid making any further comment. I just hope you are not taking at face value all the affectionate shout-outs that Kpop stars get from this or that internationational celebrity, either. It is all part of stealth marketing, and also the most obvious one.

9. mdo7

mdo7 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    mikedo2007
    Uh, they did. You didn't see Iheartradio interviewing BTS:

Or is Iheartradio "fake news" to you now because they interview BTS? What about the OC Weekly reporting on BTS recently, is that "fake news"? What about NBC News talking about KCON in NYC last year, is NBC News now"fake news" to you because of that report? What about f(x)'s Krystal being one of the model for keds after Taylor Swift, or is that Billboard article "fake news"?

I find it odd that you ignored the Hollywood Reporter article reporting on Amazon doing a K-pop show, so why didn't you say anything about that? Are you and @TheFamily going to say The Hollywood Reporter is now "fake news" and should not be trusted?

But how could you explain EXO appearing on a famous Italian magazine, I mentioned this on my previous page and you ignored that, why? Again, please explain why L’UOMO Vogue chose EXO over other Asian group, why didn't L’UOMO Vogue put a famous Chinese or Japanese singers on there, why did they chose EXO for?

10. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

@mdo7 again, doing concerts abroad doesn't mean they've achieved mainstream success.
    Of course they have fans out of SK, but if they do TWO or THREE concerts in America, don't you think the fans will try to go wherever they are?

Perfume has performed in London a couple of times and they always sold-out the venues.
    Are they popular in the UK? Hell, no.
    They sell out because everyone and their mother comes from all around Europe, because it's the only concert they do in Europe.

Also, Perfume has a couple of songs with OK GO:

Are they mainstream now?
    Nope.

Those videos that you posted...

1) They were on tour in America. OF COURSE someone was going to interview them because they are a rarity in the American landscape.
    Just look at the comments, it's all inside jokes from already fans. Nothing like "oh, I didn't know these guys, they're cool!".

2) Really, a video from Kcon? That's mainstream?

A show by Amazon means NOTHING. It's not like the show will only be available for Americans, right?
    There are plenty of original Japanese doramas on Netflix. Does that make it mainstream? You know the answer.
    Also, it's gonna be a freaking facepalming show:

So, basically, a bunch of randoms with pink/blue hair will try to mimick singing in Korean while they dance the choreos they have practised in their living room.
    Tell me what's not to laugh about that.

Again, you are trying to preach that Kpop is an entertainment monster when it's not.
    Again, they have NO CHOICE but to appeal to a wider audience if they want money (people in South Korea DO NOT BUY MUSIC).
    Again, nobody freaking cares.

11. yuiparunaachan oshi

yuiparunaachan oshi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    I read this thread from the first page and I feel that you're so biased towards kpop. lol. For your information, I'm a kpop turned into a jpop especially akb48. I really like kpop before but when I know more about akb48, I completely became obsessed with them. Now, I didn't listened anything from kpop at all. I didn't know why but one thing that I know, I really like akb48. I really love their songs too. Heart never tells lies. When I heard kpop song being played, it didn't make me excited at all. And I don't get jealous at all when kpop get international exposure and attention. I don't intend to post anymore here even though you quote me. I just want to express my feelings from the first day I read all your comment and I can't hold it anymore.:wall: I feel relieved now. Sayonara.

12. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Okay, I've had it.

@mdo7 It is obvious to just about everyone on this forum that cares to look at this page that you are here to peddle a certain narrative, and you are basically going to fight with anyone who disagrees with you by invalidating their responses. And by the way, it is not necessary for people to explain their points to your personal satisfaction. Who the hell do you think you are?

Furthermore, stop accusing everyone who disagrees with you of "trolling" and being off-topic. You know what a troll is? Someone who shows up on this forum for no other reason than to perpetuate the same argument over and over and over again.

I'm fine with this discussion taking place on this forum in theory. However, the way you are participating is causing the thread to become combative. And if you haven't figured it out yet, all of these posts you are complaining about? They are just mirroring you.

So, since you can't play nice, I'm shutting this thread down. And if you make another one, I'll toss you off of the forum.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.