1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[IMPORTANT] Upcoming Changes to Stage48

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by HoneyRoastedPeanuts, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    That answers my perusal about the changes regarding the depot. [bow]
    Its hapless to debunk this claim but when one is new in the forum his priority is recognition and that mostly is thru post count. I will admit that I was guided with this principle when I started, but I'm just a product of the system the forum has long nurtured. For one, why do we even count post or why do post count get displayed below the post author? And, why do we have rank/status that 'level up' when you reach a certain count. Why would one prefer to be stuck with 'Auditioning' when 'Super Idol' sounds cooler especially if you're dedicated enough to stay on the course.

This matter related to post count somehow influence my starting stage and deduce that those with higher count are more active or more reliable than those below. Why not, when they generate most of the post getting consumed by the members. It cannot be helped, then, but assume that they are more respected and their response to discussion given more weight.

Its never ideal to judged a members capability through post count but its one way or the easiest if one will not bother reading through the members post, and most members don't do this, I presume. Thus, it cannot be blame alone in the person if he will strive to incrementally increase his count by numerous means that somehow, thought technically legal in terms of forum rule, they resort to thoughtless chatter. I won't claim to be an immaculate poster but its really hard to go against the flow.

As of now, I'm quite disillusioned about further making post or joining discussions, its only the most basic thing like uploading Amina's g+ post or checking thread of the girls that I'm still interested in following half-ly that keep me here, the discussion on this thread is somehow an exception, its a major make over and curiosity beat me up to make a post. :fp:

The forum did quite disrupt my real life so I'm trying to recover, and that's something that could be attributed as my fault, don't take up this path, I advise. :^^;:

Oh, that reminds of this response.
    Can you somehow stipulate the length of time that a lock thread is supposed to exist for display. Because there are still forgotten locked thread in existence somewhere. I don't like the idea of burdening the moderators to search for this thus we may enlist the help of the members in reporting such but we need to know when is the right time to hit report.

I don't mind getting my post deleted as long as I'm told what wrong did I commit to merit it. Because when you make a post you give up your time and exert effort and no matter how little they are they should still be regarded as contribution and should be ceremoniously dismissed by informing the member.

PS. A tidbit, of the top 5 members with the most numerous post count, I think 4 are moderators or once are moderators. Its hard to dismissed the idea that post count somehow exudes authority, just a thought.

2. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    No. I have no particular standard regarding that and I don't keep a diary about it. :D There's no real need for members to report those threads, because I know what's out there. They'll be removed alongside other tasks like merging of similar topics, the removal of inactive threads and the like. There's a considerable number of topics that never received a single reply (some over years) and could as well be removed. A little general clearing out is good every once in a while. Closed topics are gonna go on that occasion together with everything else.

In the future, post count might not be displayed in the side bar, but only on a member's profile page. We'll instead have an "oshimen" field or some of the sort. I'm looking into what works best.

Because to a lot of people content and being respected for what they write matters more than having a title. We got members with several hundred if not thousands of posts, who largely post in the lobby and hardly participate in 48-related discussion. There are examples of a member's one post being more valuable than another's fifty. Yes, that sounds outrageous, but I believe if you're a person with the confidence of being able to contribute, you won't care much about what your post-count based rank is called.

Therefore the change to a more effort-based system. A little change in direction.

3. kimunlimited

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    I truly admire those members who keep churning intelligent and witty post one after the other. It takes great dedication to do so. To keep calm and compose when discussions are turning into quarrels are a trait I held in reverence, and I've seen them here, but in a dismaying number. This should not be the norm.

There really is a need to nurture the culture that gives more importance to quality than quantity. A sense of responsibility to every post they make, impartiality on ideas being discussed, placid approach to members they differ in opinion and self-reproach. It would be pleasant to read posts if this were the case. I somehow failed to uphold this at times, and its all written in the forum—to my dismay.

I sincerely hope these alterations to the forum will usher the change long due. The greatest obstable is not really the system, its the members, the unscrupulous thoughts they suggestively disseminate corrupts the unwitting and unsuspecting members. Its not all better to be doubious most of the times and it takes great discernment of members to realize who really has the character and knowledge to support their claims or ideas being laid on during discussions. Having that badge or something will greatly help eliminate this problem. I trust the moderators have long made the list of members whom they believe has need of such distinction.

Its quite a feat to organize such movement, so kudos! and thanks for allotting time to answer my questions.

4. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I'm looking forward to this renewal of Stage48; it'll be the 6th major update to the forum, which has been around for almost as long as AKB48 has. With so much content and so many users it can be difficult to keep track of everything so it's nice to have you onboard Smilodon.

And don't worry guys, I love playing devil's advocate, so even if I disagree with your opinion, if it's well written then I can upvote it anyway. :p

5. yoyo_icecube

yoyo_icecube Kenkyuusei

congratulation to Smilodon for being promoted.
    eventhough im not so active but i do come+commenting once in a while as this forum is one of the major reliable source for my 48 family update. i love to read other's opinion about members of 48 family ^^

looking forward for the change. ^^

6. Sayumi4

Sayumi4 Kenkyuusei

I'm curious when these changes are applied while the site be down at all? And if so when will it go down? Also congrats to Smilodon!

7. Chimai

Chimai Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    ^ The forum update is happening September 30th, so I assume if there is any downtime it will be that day or the day before.

I realize I haven't commented on this thread yet, although I check it for new posts daily. I think this is long overdue, but then, I think that for almost every forum. It's very encouraging to be reminded that this is a forum where the moderators, admin, and members alike really value discussion. To be honest, I give up on most forums after a short period of time because I do not find them... "useful" or "valuable". This forum definitely isn't perfect, but in comparison to others I have been on it's absolutely fantastic. The fact that these changes are going to happen make me even more excited for the future of this forum, especially because the population of the forum keeps growing every day. This is my first time experiencing an update to the forum so that also adds to the excitement.

I'm someone who definitely appreciates quality over quantity for posts, and I never even pay attention to my post count on here, although that didn't used to be the case. I think the more experience you gain on using forums (especially quality forums) the less you care about post count and the titles that tend to go with it.

Really looking forward to the new "badges". As someone who isn't much more knowledgeable than the average active member on this forum, I doubt it'll really apply to me at all, but they will definitely be useful for recognizing who can help with what and such.

Don't let us down! :p

8. KyuketsuNyanNyan

KyuketsuNyanNyan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tashimameru
    Hmm, this should be pretty interesting to watch. Well, I have been finding my time here to be growing rather stagnant over the late so this is probably just what I need to get back into the forums again :awesome: (I'm going to miss this blue username though :D )

I was wondering why we had a new mod here lol, congratulations, Smilodon! :awesome: Can't wait for Sept 30th [party]

9. oscarwilde

oscarwilde Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    Twitter:
    oscarwilde48
    I wanted to make the suggestion, that admins should have the option to downrate posts, after all.

A forum member might write an outstanding post and on another occasion post something which does not contribute to the community or is rather detrimental to it.

Just a suggestion.

10. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    We weren't going to do that. Members are simply not going to get any recognition for these posts. If they don't contribute to the community we can warn / suspend / ban them at any time.

11. kingmar

kingmar Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    I think these are good wholesale changes to freshen up the place a bit.
    Having never gained access to the Depot I can't say I'll miss it - but for what it's worth, the blue username is worth retaining (aesthetically :D ) I assume everyone will drop to grey and all coloured usernames will be retired at this point?

As for how people will take it I think cautious optimism. I suppose you can always make changes to styles at a later point.

I have noticed an increasing number of arguments occurring particularly in the event threads - is there another way of countering those? I stop reading threads when they get derailed by arguments and I'm sure it's not a good look.

12. kimunlimited

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    I forgot to ask, how long will the implementation of the planned changes last? Is it a long down time on the 30th of September, or will it be gradual alterations starting on the stated commencing period of the changes.

13. MidoriHime

MidoriHime Member

Other groups are other groups. This is Stage48.
    The break down of everything looks pretty good. Issues seem to have been thought of in depth and nothing seems to be an off the handle or random decision. Congrats to the new staff member too~
    I'm looking forward to seeing how everything rolls out (and I'm glad I read this now otherwise I would have been so confused haha)

14. Parikkuren

Parikkuren Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Ehhhh, and I thought the same thing! I know it doesn't matter much, but I feel blue - or any color really - is better than grey.

I would say I feel silly for caring about something so trivial... but I don't feel silly, I really think it looks better.

15. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    @ kimunlimited: There shouldn't be any extended down time.

@ Parikkuren: Technically I can make usernames any color. The point of the change is that there won't be any difference in user groups anymore. I can set anything as the default color. Doesn't have to be grey.

16. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

5 days to go...btw...just out of curiosity, may I ask who considered / approved the changes the forum is going to go through? [think]

17. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    As an admin of this forum, HRP has complete authority to make changes as he pleases. We discussed future plans for the forum several months ago when we met in person.

18. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    I came up with the concepts and general framework and wrote the OP. Several last details regarding the practical side we fleshed out together over a few sessions on Skype.

It was a draft for a long time. Most of the ideas I was sitting on for months and had talked about with the rest of staff. I only had to give concrete shape to them.

19. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Thank you. Anyway, just to be sure I understood it...those 'we' mean HRP and MrWaffle, am I right?

20. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Not necessarily. It's my brainchild and I made the decision to go through with it. The input of the other staff members helped it take form.
    I take full responsibility for these updates and I can explain additional details because they're all concepts that I came up with and introduced to the others. That's why I put my name under the OP. If in a year these changes should prove to have been unsuccessful, I'm the one people may blame for it. :lol:

As forum staff, we're automatically all involved though. We all "support the team".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.