1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single JKT48 10th (Kibouteki Refrain) (2015/05/27)

Discussion in 'JKT48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, May 2, 2015.

1. oniqlo

oniqlo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    because i should say W.H.A.T.E.V.E.R :p

And after watch the best MV BTS until now, as expected senbatsu member still better(esp Sisil:rofl:).

2. mockingrayy

mockingrayy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I do feel the same

3. Cxstridert's mikhail

Cxstridert's mikhail Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yabukinako
    Guys! I know you're disappointed on the formation but i hope you all understand that JOT wants to make thier own identity and style and thru the dance formation and choreography thats make it sense .. That's why ... Don't compared JKT to AKB format and expect the unusual :shocku:

4. MeruShige

MeruShige Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tashimameru
    The video is very lack luster. I enjoy the Melody handing the Jacket to Be because to it symbolizes the next reign of JKT48

5. mockingrayy

mockingrayy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    what you mean by their own identity and style with their unecessary copy-paste concept for this sousenkyou song

• Like Like x 1
  6. arcobaleno

arcobaleno Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    imaizumiyui
    I apologize to the rest of you for kind of derailing this, but as I was reading this thread, this post really popped out to me. I'm an audio mixer, not yet at the professional level, but I've been working my up there steadily, and I've noticed that with the 48G in general, it can be hard to pick out individual girls (well, mostly, the Japanese groups are easy since they have such a variety of voices), but yeah, this case is the worst with people constantly sounding the same.

For me, I think it boils down to over-compression of the vocals. In mixing, you need to compress the vocals a bit so that the loud and quiet parts of the vocals aren't ridiculously different and get drowned out by the instrumental and such. When listening to 48G songs, I can tell that the vocals are very, very compressed, far beyond the usual amount you need.

Most times, when compressing vocals, you aim for what they call a "transparent" result, where everything sounds more or less equal without being overly squashed, but 48G doesn't want to be transparent, they just way over-compress the vocals, which results in that sort of 48G-unique kind of squashed vocal sound. I feel like they do it maybe so the group parts blend better, but the irony is that that is actually detrimental to blending unless you squash it so much (like they did with this single) that all the unique parts of their voices are smooshed out and they nearly all sound the same, which is what happened here.

I've mixed for almost.... 5 years? or so. Started out really bad, and when I discovered compression, I often would way overdo it, and the result sounded much like that. It would technically blend WELL, but all the uniqueness and even moreso, the gorgeousness of the group blending, would be destroyed and it would just all sound the same.

I mean, one of my favorite Nogi46 songs is Kimi no Na wa Kibou, and it's a gorgeous song, but the live version absolutely destroys the CD version in terms of vocal quality, because the vocals aren't squashed and are allowed to be free and all the beauty of the blending comes to light.

So, I think that is the case here, overcompression of the vocals. Modern music is kind of over-compressed as it is, but 48G tends to take it up to rather large proportions. If you've ever thought their voices sounded kind of unnatural, that's the reason why.

I apologize for the really long-winded post, but I just wanted to say my 2 cents on that topic since I have some experience with mixing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  7. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    Modifying kibouteki into a solo centered formation would be making their own identity.

What JOT did is the opposite.

8. Cxstridert's mikhail

Oshimen:
    yabukinako
    I mean in UG's song ... In case of kibouteki the concept is fine although it the same with 16-non format and the doubles center issues .. This single explained everything what happened in the voting process until the last part ... that's why they chose the song
    UG song is the best example of unique formation with a solo centered dance .. To have their own identity.:^O^::^^;:

9. Cxstridert's mikhail

Oshimen:
    yabukinako
    I'm just pertaining to the UG's song not the sosenkyou song ... :gavel:

10. Chuu

Chuu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuka
    lollllll no, there is nothing unique style nor they show "their own identity" on JKT's UG song. AKB ver. has the same storyline, they only changed the wcenter formation for solo center bcz sousenkyo and ..that is all. It is still something like = cute girls hopping around in pastel colored dresses and sporty storyline..which is the same with AKB boku dake no value

11. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    My thing is though, JKT's songs always sound so much worse than AKB's. With AKB, it actually sounds like specific girls singing together. With JKT's songs, it just always sounds like some stock-chorus. It's most apparent to me in this single's team songs, not so much Kibouteki Refrain.

12. ootamudkip

ootamudkip Member

Oshimen:
    Nadila Cindi
    I really wish Indonesia have something like oricon :glare:. I'm really curious how much CD does JKT sold like I know they're (probably) surpassed 10k amount on last single but still, it'll be nice to know the exact number (and it could also be a good reason for bragging:^O^:).

13. NonKaNon

NonKaNon Kenkyuusei

i can not buy the cd, where i can get the value (UG)'s full MV? And behind the scene of Kiborefu??

curious about the mv

14. mc_shithead

mc_shithead Kenkyuusei

15. BilyIsFab

BilyIsFab Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Boku Value MV is Amazing ^_^ better than the senbatsu one ._. Ofcoz

16. rmn89

rmn89 Member

amazing mv for undergirls..nice job JOT...

better song choice as well...kiboteki is not old enough yet fresh enough to be recycled.

17. excuse_me

excuse_me Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    jessicaveranda
    UG's MV was good, I have to agree it was better than senbatsu's

but Lidya got really short screen time there, I only saw her clearly on beauty shoot

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  18. Rizza Aulia Rahman

Rizza Aulia Rahman Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Kubo Shiori
    Twitter:
    RizzauliaRahman
    Lidya and Dhike got short screen time. Only saw them two times in this MV. But overall the MV is just Great :)

19. Ellession

Ellession Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    Shortly, i like both of the mv ^^

20. mai48_

mai48_ Member

Twitter:
    maiakikochan
    Somehow, I don't like Boku Dake no Value's costume. The color is plain. Butek? Msybe,,,