1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single JKT48 23rd Single [FLYING HIGH] (2022/06/18)

Discussion in 'JKT48 News & Releases' started by ootamudkip, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Mikuriin

Mikuriin Future Girls

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu

if the video does not show watch the video here
    As expected, it's moving towards kpop style but what I like is it's maintaining jpop side(?)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  2. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I don't really mind JKT48 going kpop

Anything has to adapt to the changes to survive

3. Lookman

Lookman Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    lckmnzans
    True, I feels that the song still give Jpop vibes in it. For the MV, I would rather say that it's okayish. The quality of the mv is kinda giving that MVs from nugu kpop grup who've just debuted...
    This doesn't mean I dislike the song and MV tho.

4. Shinga Kurukato

Shinga Kurukato Future Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    ALiMiRe (عليمير عبد الرحمن)
    WOAH! THE SONG IS A BOP!

5. Lookman

Lookman Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    lckmnzans
    Someone mentioned that the song quite like Jabaja and now I can't stop thinking about it :hmm:

6. mai48_

mai48_ Member

Twitter:
    maiakikochan
    I like it. The MV is visually pleasing. The song is not bad, it feels like a bop, but I don't feel it to be crisp-sounding. Like, there is a background noise, which I feel is just unnecessary. I find that this happens to Nadila's music too. It doesn't have a very clean sound. Would have been much better without it. The melody/beat/tunes would have been clearer and I feel that would make more of a bop.

7. Shinga Kurukato

Shinga Kurukato Future Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    ALiMiRe (عليمير عبد الرحمن)
    Question: will FLYING high be the same as Darashinai Aishikata, with no b-sides?

8. yaohne

yaohne Member

Oshimen:
    chikanorina
    I don't see the kpop vibe in the song is a pop song like jpop song when I was listening the song I was ooooh that is good.
    The MV is simple but clean not like a nugu with low budget but a visual like MV.

I love this single I think is a great idea to have a full English song

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matenrou47

Matenrou47 Kenkyuusei

Flying High reminds me of BTS Dynamite in a way. It's fun, catchy, crowd-pleasing song with easy signature dance in the chorus. Perfect for viral trend. The producers and JOT knows what they aim for with the striking sound and visual aspects of the MV (and the teaser! I love them so much).

What hinders me to be fully click with the song is the vocal processing, with high pitched singing and slightly auto-tuned voice, much like Dynamite, leaves a bitter taste to me. And then, the catchy hook feels too restricted without any major key change in the climax, yet they play the same hook for over and over, which makes me a wonder when the song's going to end.

I think the song needs more input, because looking at the song's credits, there is no additional songwriters involved, which can give more ideas to elevate the song's potential. Then again the song is okay from the get-go! It's a bold move from JKT48 and I really love them for doing outside the expectations. I hope both the group and the song could have bigger recognition they deserve.

P.S. Will they add B-sides for this single? Or they will release another one this year? I'm still waiting for Jiwaru Days

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lookman

Lookman Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    lckmnzans
    They've added the credits at the video description and if I remember they said Jiwaru Days will be b-side song. I agree tho that most of the vocals are autotuned which I think is a turn off of me from listening and watching the live version (if they ever gonna sing it live). This case happen with BTS tho, so that is why I never enjoyed BTS' live performance because of it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  11. Matenrou47

Matenrou47 Kenkyuusei

Now we can see some of the stats (06/19)
    • 400k (ish) MV views on first day! They also manage in Youtube's trending #7 and #16 for general and music feeds respectively. The official audio got 12k views so far.
    • 6,292 streams on Spotify
    • #14 on iTunes Indonesia
    • More than 1,000 box set pre-order sales
    I would say this is a good start for this single? Especially the box set pre-order sales, since the Darashinai box set raised so many complaints from the delayed shipments to missing members in the photo book. Many people on Twitter saying their current box set orders keep refunded and sold out numerous times, but currently the product is restocked. JOT seem to still figuring out how many copies they had to make lol, at least they learn not to add any customized/signed feature on the copies that might delay the production process.

Judging from the Spotify stream, it will be quite an effort to enter domestic (Spotify) chart since generally it needs 200k or 900k streams to enter daily or weekly chart respectively. Fans just have to promote the song in the social media and stream the MV/song on streaming platforms while waiting for the group's next promotion move. I heard Billboard used many metrics to determine the HOTW (Indonesia) chart, so bigger exposure on TikTok may help to get a spot there.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  12. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Everyone has a different opinion & I respect that

But I think you'll agree that this song is good but it'd be much better if Sisca were a senbatsu

I think only 9 members on senbatsu is definitely too small. Was it because Matt Radd & August Rigo's request to only include 9 members? Because they worked with some KPop groups &: none of them has more than 9 members on the group?

13. Mikuriin

Mikuriin Future Girls

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Imo it's just they want to push member properly. If there were usual 16 senbatsu it'd be more hard to fairly showcase the members. I agree if Sisca should be in senbatsu, tho I can say the same to Celine.

But from management's point of view, this senbatsu is ideal to show the usual front members (Shani, Gracia, Feni, Jinan) as well as introducing new faces to public. And they choose the center who is well known as the daughter of a celebrity. I'd say JOT really well-strategized this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matenrou47

Matenrou47 Kenkyuusei

Vocal directors of the single Hiroaki Kato and his wife Arina Ephipania (Arina Mocca) shared their experience with JKT48 during rehearsal and recording process in the two-part videos.

Interesting parts:
    • The rehearsal and recording only took two days
    • This is the first time Arina is professionally hired as vocal director. She's picked because her fluency and experience in singing English songs with her band Mocca.
    • It seems that all parts have been predetermined by the management before they sing. I thought all members will try to do all the parts first before they decide the best, since the number and (dance) formation doesn't seem as rigid as other 48 group song.
    • Senbatsu members recording order: (1) Fiony, Marsha, Chika (2) Christy and Gracia, (3) Jinan, (4) Zee, Feni, and Shani. Jinan is appreciated for her lower vocal range that helped the song's (background) vocal. Shani's voice also praised as stable and used for background parts. Feni had some difficulties with her rap parts due to her dialects.
    • Arina makes the demo and do backing vocals in some part
    • They said that the members' voices are nice as it is, but the mixing process autotuned their voices. So it's probably a creative choice (or maybe the vocal directors are too kind to say otherwise lol)
    Even though they didn't say much about what they think about the final version of the song, I really like the videos, because we get to know the 'geekier' part of the song production process, especially for JKT48 since we don't get many of that. I'm still quite indifferent to the final product, but the videos make me appreciate the group and staffs even more for able to do such an amazing effort for the 2nd original single.

15. yaohne

yaohne Member

Oshimen:
    chikanorina
    Sorry but I think sisca voice can't fit in this song.

16. Lookman

Lookman Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    lckmnzans
    Truth to be told is that her voice will overwhelm the other voices. I've seen many videos in tiktok where sisca is one of the performing members and people said that Sisca's voice is the easiest to be indentified with. I agree with that since her voice is the most distinguishable other than Shani. This problem easily emerge in small number senbatsu.

Anyway, jkt48 released a hashflag that active since today. It is true it seems that JKT48 got so much funding from their new company...
    Screenshot 2022-06-30 092823.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matenrou47

Matenrou47 Kenkyuusei

^ I would argue that Sayanee's voice is also recognizable yet she's senbatsu staples. Additionally with how you could do almost anything in the production and mixing process, excluding Sisca in the senbatsu solely because voice seem to overshadow the fact that we have little to no knowledge of many variables JOT took when choosing performing members.

18. yaohne

yaohne Member

Oshimen:
    chikanorina
    Sisca is very popular nowadays. But my reason is not because of the overshadowed thing but because of her husky rough voice. She's a good singer but her voice doesn't fit all type of song and flying high is one of those songs.

19. Lookman

Lookman Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    lckmnzans

20. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I thought this would be on the flash drive that is one of the stuffs Flying High box set?

Yeah JKT48 put a flash drive, not a DVD like 48g usually