1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Nakano Miyabi (Minyo Girls)

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Idol Emporium' started by Cristafari, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls (and a whole bunch of other groups) at the A-rin Collection Idol Live at Yokohama Arena (2019/06/23)

A quick note. This entry isn't exclusively about Minyo Girls. It is about my experience of the entire event. However, I am keeping the writeup almost entirely intact from my blog because well, I think people will find it interesting...

arin5.jpg

After executing the first half of my weekend plans by seeing Kiss Bee in Central Tokyo, on Sunday I would be heading out to Yokohama where an all-day idol live event was taking place in celebration of Sasaki Ayaka’s (Momoiro Clover Z) solo concert at Yokohama Arena. I didn’t plan on staying there all day, figuring I would show up to see Minyo Girls, do buppan, and then leave. In fact I might not have gone at all, except that I wanted to get a ticket for the Mingaru one-man live next weekend, and by purchasing it here I could get 2-shot tickets, as well as points on my point card. It would be a relatively pedestrian affair, except…

I woke up in the morning with my throat in major pain. Moreover, my nose was running, I felt weak, and my chest felt really tight. Oh no, was I catching some sort of bug? I felt so out of sorts that I figured it would probably be a bad idea for me to go to Yokohama, and I had pretty much resigned myself to staying in all day. However, I really wanted to go to this show. I ate breakfast, took some medicine, and a hot shower. I still had some time, and figured I could do everything I could to overcome my ailments and do what I wanted to do. The medicine hadn’t kicked in yet, but it was time for me to go. I packed my bag with cold medicine, throat lozenges, and surgical masks, and was on my way.

Yokohama A-rin Collection Idol Live

arin17.jpg
    A-rin 2019 concert T-shirt. The older versions were also hot pink, with A-rin’s face prominently featured

A-rin, is the ‘pink’ member of Momoiro Clover Z, who also has a bit of a solo career outside of her main group. If you aren’t familiar with my personal history with Momoclo, I used to be a fan of them back when they were an indie. I used to go see them around Akihabara where they would have 20-30 fans in the audience, and were literally begging fans to come see them. I have met all of the members, including the two who have since graduated. In fact, I have all sorts of old 2-shots and signed goods from back in the day. However, when Momoclo became big I felt that they kind of abandoned their old fans. Suddenly I couldn’t win concerts, and when I tried to go to a signing event I was essentially told I couldn’t participate. Quite the about face from nine years ago. So I figured “screw them.” and stopped purchasing anything from them over six years ago. That said…

arin1.jpg

The pre-concert festivities planned by the organizers of A-rin’s solo concert were a great idea. They created two festivals outside of the main arena, first at the goods booths, where they also had food booths and whatnot, and then this idol live event, which turned out to be much bigger than I thought. It was a 5+ hour event featuring 24 idol groups on two stages, with all sorts of special buppan benefits. Of the 24 groups on the schedule, I really only knew four of them (including Minyo Girls) and I had only seen two of them before.

I arrived in Shin-Yokohama, and as I walked closer to the arena I was greeted by an increasing crowd of people dressed head to toe in Hot Pink. (A-rin's colors) The queues around the venue were huge, which reminded me of when I saw AKB48 play there in 2010. I headed to the rear of the arena, and luckily the queue to get into the idol event was not long at all. I asked the girl at the door which of the two stages this was, but she kept trying to look in my bag. “Chotto Matte!” I wasn’t sure if I was going in yet. Eventually she told me both stages were accessible via this entrance. Okay, so I opened my bag, which she looked into for all of one second, and let me through.

arin2.jpg

The second stage was just inside the doors, where a group called Hyakki Otome were in the middle of their energetic set. I walked to the opposite side of the venue, where I found the buppan area, and the other stage. Minyo Girls were due to play in fifteen minutes, but I did catch the very end of Hakoiri♡Musume. I saw a few Mingaru fans in the crowd, as well as Miyabi-chan’s mother, so I knew I was in the right place. Eventually it was Minyo Girls’ turn. Six of the nine members were performing; Miyabi, Ramu, Yutori, Rina, Ryo, and Minori. They did a four song set, their two major singles and two of their higher energy minyo-styled songs. As with most of the groups there that day, they spent a bit of time talking about what big fans of Momoclo they all are. Actually, I already knew this, especially in the case of Minori who often solo-performs Momoclo songs at Minyo Girls’ one-man lives. They also had a special offer, which I found out later most groups were doing; one free 2-shot cheki (or in some cases shamekai) for all “new” fans. As for their performance, it was an excellent opportunity to showcase Miyabi’s singing talents, as she is one of the group’s singing ‘aces.’ She sounded really good, and seemed like she was totally into performing for the crowd of A-rin fans. Ramu looked totally intense as well on the shamisen, and Yutori ran a great MC, jumping up in the air at one point. Overall it was a nice performance, and the setlist was a good mix of their new songs, and well as some traditional songs which showcase their unique style.

arin3.jpg

After their set I immediately headed over to the buppan area, and noticed that quite a few Momoclo fans also came over. The girls began handing out free 2-shot tickets to the new fans, and the line for buppan became quite long. I queued up to buy the ticket I wanted, and got two 2-shot tickets which I planned to use on Miyabi and Ramu. I would be there quite a while, since the queue was still long when I finished my first shamekai, and the area quickly became crowded not only with Hakoiri♡Musume fans, but also the fans of KOTO who were at the neighboring buppan tables. By the way, here are my two shamekai…

arin4.jpg arin6.jpg

With Miyabi, I basically told her that I like the new costumes. They are a nice change of pace since their last two costumes were both black. With Ramukyun I asked her if she is a Momoclo fan, and noted that I knew she was a big AKB fan. You don’t get too much time to talk with them during 2-shots, mainly time for a handshake, thank you, and a few words. With that I left the buppan area. My plan was to go to lunch, and then probably leave for the day. However, before I left I watched a little bit of Yamakatsu and Asuko Kyoka, and thought to myself “this is a fun event.” Not only that, the meds were beginning to kick in and I was feeling somewhat better. I decided to go to lunch nearby and then come back, especially since there was one other group I was sort of interested in seeing.

arin14.jpg

I should also mention that a few of the groups were hanging around outside the exit of the bigger stage handing out flyers and inviting people to come see them. Probably the most aggressive was a group called Seiza Hyakkei, who were there pretty much all day. Unfortunately, they performed while I was at lunch. Other groups soliciting people there were Hakoiri Musume, and Hot Dog Cat. I ended up talking to the Hot Dog Cat girl for a couple minutes. She was surprised I knew they were a sister group of Ready to Kiss, and she also noticed my iPhone case, exclaiming. “AKB, Wasamin!”

Desu Rabbits

arin13.jpg

Anyway, I returned from lunch, and watched a little bit of Ponica Road’s performance before going back to the main stage for the group I had specifically come back to see. I had seen Desu Rabbits (Death Rabbits) once before two years ago at Shinjuku ReNY, and I remembered thinking how strange I thought they were at the time. At the same time, I also remembered Bucho-san, the guy in the storm trooper garb being a really nice guy. In fact earlier in the day he had quickly said hello to me. Did he remember me from two years ago?

If you have never seen Desu Rabbits perform before, they are a little like the original Ladybaby. Cute idols performing with a dude singing in a sort of death metal style. Bucho-san also functions as the group DJ, doing mixes live on stage. I’m not sure if the female members are the same from two years ago, but they looked more mature than when I first saw them. And actually, I really liked their set. Their songs are catchy, and fun. I also love Bucho’s antics on stage, beckoning the fans to do mixes, leading them in chants, coming off stage to hand people flyers mid-song. Overall their three-song set was great, and I was glad I decided to come back.

The group made the same “free 2-shot” offer that many of the other groups had done, and I definitely planned on taking advantage. In the meantime a group called ROSARIO+CROSS took the stage, and had a distinct SDN48/K-pop vibe to them. I was actually tempted to watch them, but I wanted to do Desu Rabbit buppan, so…

The buppan area had become much busier later in the day. Moreover, there were a lot more A-rin fans there since it was a lot closer to the evening concert. Still, I found the free buppan line for the group and queued up. Bucho-san immediately spotted me and came over, thanking me for coming. (He speaks relatively fluent English) I had mentioned to him that I had seen them 2 years ago, and was excited to see them again. I also asked which CD the second song in their set is from, but he was called away before he could answer. (I found out later it was their second single, Koisuru Kisetsu) Eventually he returned to the queue asking everyone which member they would like a 2-shot with. When it was my turn I immediately pointed to his picture, prompting a laugh from everyone around me. Bucho-san was totally stoked though, and gave me a hug, LOL.

arin18.jpg

So it turned out everyone was asking for a full-group photo, so I asked for the same thing. However, when I got my phone back there was a little surprise on it…

arin8.jpg arin12.jpg arin10.jpg arin9.jpg

Hahaha, he was secretly snapping selfies while we were setting up for the pose. How cool is that! He took seven in total. I talked to the members for a moment, mainly Yuzu who seemed the most interested in me. I then thanked Bucho-san once more before excusing myself. However, before I left I was approached my two fans offering me a copy of the group’s latest single. Cool, I hope the song I really liked is on it. (I haven’t played it yet)

arin7a.jpg
    Mugen Crescendo on the second stage

I went to check out the groups currently on stage, catching most of Nanking Pepper, who were pretty good. Genshoku Theater, and Mugen Crescendo, who had one member that reminded me of former SKE48 member Yakata Miki. I did want to check out Hot Dog Cat, since Rin (the blue member) had taken the time to talk to me. I watched one song, and unfortunately wasn’t impressed. I want back to the main stage where Appare!Harajuku were performing. Now this group I really liked. I ended up staying for most of their set. However, I noticed the entire venue was becoming completely crowded, mainly with Momoclo fans. It was becoming impossible to get close to any of the stages, or to even move around as A-rin fans were now pouring into the venue. So I decided I had enough. there were only two other groups left to perform anyway. As I exited I noticed the line to get into this event had become a 20-minute wait. Yep, I was leaving at the right time.

arin15.jpg

By the way, a friend of mine asked me why I didn’t take advantage of all the groups offering free 2-shots and take photos with more idols. Frankly, that’s not the way I think. If I have no connection to a group, or if I don’t know or care for their music, I see no point in taking photos with them, even if they are offering the benefit for free. To me the act of doing buppan with a group is in a way an acknowledgement that I like them on some level. So taking photos with some random idol group just because they offer it to me seems rather pointless. I mean there were a couple other groups I considered doing buppan with, but unfortunately their slot times conflicted with other things I wanted to do and see.

I had planned on having dinner in Yokohama, but it was still a little early. I instead headed over to The Hub and grabbed a couple cocktails before heading over to the Yokohama Ramen Museum for dinner. It’s a place I had wanted to visit for a long time, and this was the perfect opportunity. If you like ramen, I definitely recommend it.

arin11.jpg
    Ramen Museum, designed to look like a Tokyo Street in the late 1950’s

I am surprised I was able to survive such an eventful day considering I was fighting this little virus the entire time. In fact I ended up taking the Shinkansen back to Tokyo, and pretty much crashed into bed the moment I got home. It’s a mild bug, but it has wreaked havoc on my sinuses, and zapped my energy, but I am glad I was able to keep it at bay long enough to have a fun time on Sunday. In the meantime, my plans for next weekend are pretty much set. On Saturday I will be going to the Iwasa Misaki ‘Sangenjaya Party,’ event I won by sending in the postcards from her 8th single. Then on Sunday I will be seeing Minyo Girls’ one-man live.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls One-Man Live at Yotsuya Lotus ~Fiery Performance, Chapter 11~ (2019/6/30)

minyo5.jpg

I have to admit the first time I attended an event at Yotsuya Lotus I was not impressed with the club's setup. It's a small venue in the basement of a small office building in Yotsuya Sanchome, which leaves me with a choice of either taking a bunch of different trains, or going more directly to Akebonobashi, and then walking for 10-15 minutes. So part of me was keen to skip Mingaru's June one-man live. However, part of me really wanted to see this show. For one, this was a "fan's choice" event, where we were asked to submit our top 8 favorite Minyo Girls songs, and they would choose one lucky fan's setlist for the show. I did put in a submission. However I forgot which songs I requested. To be honest, I don't know a lot of their songs by name. I went through all their releases track by track before deciding on my eight favorites. Needless to say, my setlist was not the one selected, although there were at least a couple songs on the winning setlist that were also on mine.

But back to Yotsuya Lotus. On a recent blog post, after attending an underground Idol Live at Akiba Colors, I wondered about the smallest venues I had ever been in. Akiba Colors is definitely the smallest. However this venue comes close. But even more than the size, the setup makes it very difficult to move around. The bar is located in a small room off to the side, where Minyo Girls also had two different goods tables set up, one for CDs and the other for merchandise. So you have three queues extending out into the box office area making it difficult to even get in the door of the place. Then the entrance to the actual stage area is through a narrow door in an even more narrow hallway. And don't get me started on buppan, since the stage area is small they make everyone wait in the outside hallway, making it close to impossible to move around. So yeah, not my favorite place to see an idol show by a longshot.

minyo1.jpg
    The stairwell down to the venue

Still, I wanted to see the performance, so I headed out in the mid-morning to Yotsuya. Luckily it wasn't raining yet, although forecasts called for rain pretty much all day. I made it to the venue around five minutes before doors and took my place in the queue. After entering I found a spot sort of in the middle of the floor, which I claimed with my backpack, and went back to queue for the goods table. Last week I completed filling out my point card, which entitled me to some special prize. I had no idea what the prize was, aside from me having to talk to staff about it. (There is no explanation on their official site, and the print on the point card is microscopic) I figured it was like a free 2-shot or something. But they explained to me it was a lot more involved than that. From the way she described it, I was to receive a personalized letter (or something) from my member of choice. She asked who I wanted it to be from, and I requested Miyabi. Now when I get this benefit? I have no idea. So I guess I'll just wait, although I have no clue when I will be seeing them perform again. Anyway, I wasn't in the mood to purchase anything, and it was almost time for the show to begin, so I headed back in...

Returning to the venue floor; Well, my bag still in the same spot, but people had basically taken spots all around it, leaving me very little space at all. Jerks! I grabbed my bag and moved over to the left side where the parents were standing. In fact eventually Miyabi's mother took the spot right next to me, so we chatted a little bit during the show. But yeah, this was a much better spot. Eventually the group Kage-ana started, and the girls started us on a chant before the lights went down and the members took the stage...

minyo3.jpg
    My two-top, Miyabi and Yuua

It was a full cast, meaning all my favorites, Miyabi, Yuua, and Ramu were there. Minyo Girls randomly alternate wearing their official outfits or casual clothes. For this event they were wearing their own outfits. As I mentioned, it was a pre-selected setlist from a fan request, and it was posted on the group Twitter account earlier this month, so we knew what they would be performing. I thought whoever won chose a very good setlist. I am pretty sure at least 3-4 of the songs he picked were also on my list, so in that respect it was a very good show. They have an intermittent problem in that venue though, every time one of the members leans out over the front of the stage their microphone emits feedback. They had their usual camera time during the fourth song, and although I was far back and not in a position to get any good close up shots, a few of my photos came out pretty good. However the biggest challenge for me is the two points in the show, the group photo and the VTR, where we have to kneel down. I am not a young guy, and my knees don't work as well as they used to, so kneeling or sitting, and then trying to get back up can be a challenge. In fact, after the group shot I almost teetered over, and Miyabi's mom grabbed my arm and saved me, LOL.

minyo6a.jpg
    You can see my head just in front of the woman in white standing in the back

After the main set, the fans started a "clapping only" encore, which was quite strange. I think everyone was waiting for someone else to begin an actual chant. Finally, somebody did, but after saying "Encore!" just once the girls ran back on to the stage. This was the point of the show where we watched their monthly VTR, which was a preview of the "behind the scenes making-of" from their new single MV. Apparently it will be published on YouTube very soon. Next was the revealing of the single's three jacket covers. I really liked the Type-B version. Finally there was an updated schedule of the group's one-man lives and concerts through the next four months. Thankfully all of the one-man live events are scheduled for Shinjuku Marz, and not Yotsuya. But the real treat was the song selection for the encore...

minyo4.jpg

They sang three songs, the first two being c/w tracks for the upcoming single. I absolutely loved the first song. I don't know the name, but it sounded a bit like an upbeat version of the Morning Musume song "Sukiyaki." (google it) The second song was pretty good too. They finished the set with a new version of their first single, entitled "Kirari Yme Ondo, 2019 Version" It is completely different, to the point of hardly sounding like the original at all. And you know what? I kinda liked it! I'm guessing that might be another c/w track? I'm not sure. In any case, that finished the show.

minyo2.jpg
    The Burg Holic "Chili Bean Burger"

A had no buppan tickets, and my throat was parched. I quickly headed to the bar for my prepaid drink, and then scurried out of the building while there was still a little room in the hall. Earlier I had noticed a popular burger joint nearby, so I decided to give them a try for lunch. It's called Burg Holic, and is on quite a few lists of "Best Burgers in Tokyo." I got their Chili Burger with a side of fries. My verdict? It was good. Slightly pricey, but the same price neighborhood as Shake Shack and Umami Burger, so no complaints. Anyway, I have no definite plans to see Minyo Girls right now. That said, they are beginning their promotional push for their upcoming single since it releases at the end of July. That means they should have quite a few mini-live events in the coming weeks, so I will likely be attending at least a couple of those.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls' Off-Shot MV, 3rd Single 'Making-of' "Happy Days"

if the video does not show watch the video here

They presented a preview of this video at their one-man live last weekend. Here it is in its entirety. The song sounds fine, but I'm really interested in that c/w track I heard them perform last week.

Oh, and this song will be an ending theme for the Duel Masters anime.

4. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    3rd Single 'Happy Days' Official MV

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls 3rd Single 'Happy Days' Mini-Live at Nippon Cultural Broadcasting Hamamatsucho (2019/07/30)
    ~New Single Furage Day!~

minyo16.jpg

Part of the reason I decided to skip Mingaru's July 1-man live was because I knew they had a bunch of free mini-live events coming up in support of their 3rd major single release. What I like about their mini-live events (aside from them being free) is that their buppan system is simplified in comparison to their system at other shows. Moreover, the tickets are ultimately cheaper as you get one with each CD. Of the various events on their schedule in the coming days, I had this particular event marked as a 'must-go' since it is relatively easy to get to from where I live, and the stage location, just off a major road and directly across from Hamamatsucho Station makes it fun to watch the various people who stumble upon the event. Anyway, the event began at 18:30, so I headed out early to grab and early dinner and a couple brews at Devilcraft before walking over to the show.

I left the restaurant at around 18:10. Usually it is only a five-minute walk from Devilcraft to the broadcast center, but the construction of a huge office complex next to the station has blocked many of the roads, forcing me to detour three blocks south to access the main road and double back to where I needed to go. In fact, I was walking up to the stage area around 18:25 to find Minyo Girls already performing their new single. Huh? I thought the show started at 18:30. Did I have the time wrong? Did I miss the show? If so, too late to do anything about it. I took a standing spot just beyond the 25 or so seats they had put out for fans. There weren't very many people, so it was easy to get a good spot. As I arrived Miyabi-chan immediately noticed me in the audience and gave me a sort of smirk. I had a feeling I knew what that was about. Ultimately it turned out this was just a 'rehearsal' song for the main performance as Miyabi announced they would return to the stage at 18:30.

minyo15.jpg
    Miyabi

I decided to use the time to make my CD purchases. The CD table was manned by the staff from Yoro-do in Asakusa, who also support many of Wasamin's events. Interestingly, this was furage day, but they were out of one of the three versions of the single. I'm not sure why, perhaps that shipment hadn't arrived yet? I mean the crowd was small, so there is no way they ran out due to demand. The were a few people at the event who had that version (the one with the anime cover) but most people only had the other two. Oh well, I already pre-ordered that version anyway, so I have it on the way.

minyo14.jpg
    Miyabi (with Minori and Yutori)

The members returned a few minutes later to begin the regular set. Six of the nine were there (Rio, Matsuri, and Yuua were out) You could tell the girls were suffering in the oppressive heat and humidity as some of them were noticeably sweating, especially Ramukyun. Interestingly, I found the weather somewhat more pleasant than where I live. At least Hamamatsucho had a bit of a bay breeze working. Their setlist included selections from their new single, their second single (Mirai) and the Candies song Shochuu Omimai Moshiagemasu which they cover quite often. (That song and Valentine Kiss seem to be their favorite pop covers to perform) They had two MCs during the live, which they spent mainly promoting the single and some of their upcoming live events.

minyo17.jpg

They did one "Camera O.K." song toward the end. As I mentioned, I had a good standing spot so I was able to take a lot of nice photos. Literally what I do is just snap away, adjusting the zoom at various times to get closeups, then later go thrgh and delete all the bad pics. I was able to get solo photos of everyone, although Yutori spent most of the song toward the back making it more difficult to isolate her. And of course I took a lot of solo shots of Miyabi and Ramu. A few salarymen and various people came by to watch the performance, including a few foreigners. At one point after the camera shooting ended a woman came rushing up toward the stage to take photos, but staff stopped her. LOL.

minyo6.jpg minyo7.jpg minyo8.jpg minyo9.jpg minyo10.jpg minyo11.jpg
    top-bottom, l-r: Miyabi, Ryo, Rinachhi, Minori, Yutori, Ramu

I had two tickets. I knew I would use one to take a shamekai with Miyabi, but I wasn't sure what I would do with the second ticket. I decided for my first visit I would take a photo with us holding up the CDs. Then just before my turn their manager told me that my present from Miyabi is ready. At least I thought that was what she was telling me. I said "Really? Great!" This was the gift fans receive for completely filling out one of their point cards. It took me quite a while to get it filled out too! And by the way, I think this explained why I got that smirk from Miyabi earlier as it had been a month since I had last seen them perform, and I am guessing they had been waiting to give this gift to me for a while.

minyo4.jpg

I'm glad the lighting was good for this photo. The last time I took a cheki at this location with Yuua it came out much too dark. In the meantime their manager came over and apologized to me, but I wasn't sure why. Perhaps they didn't have this prize with them after all? I told Miyabi that it was okay and began to walk away, but she quickly exclaimed "Chotto matte!" and a few minutes later returned with this...

minyo2.jpg minyo3.jpg minyo1.jpg

A photo completely signed in English, and a two-page letter!!! That is quite the nice gift! I quickly thanked her, and told her I would come back and see her again. Yeah, after this I would feel really sheepish using my other ticket on someone else. Although while I was in the queue for my second ticket Ramukyun smiled and waved to me. Awwww, I adore Ramukyun, my Mingaru "secret oshi." But for me today was all about Miyabi-chan.

minyo12.jpg
    Ramu!

I went back and forth about whether to do another shamekai, or have her sign my CD. I decided on another photo so we could show off the letter, but I couldn't get her to hold it correctly, LOL! She told me to be sure and read the letter. (I have, although I need to read it more closely since she wrote small, and I had trouble figuring out what a lot of the kanji were) I told her that I had already read the photo, and I would read the letter later that night. I also mentioned that her English was really cute, and that it was a great gift, thanking her repeatedly.

minyo5.jpg

I decided to stick around for the end of the event since there weren't many fans, and I figured the event would end fairly soon. After seeing them off I headed toward Tokyo Tower and Onarimon Station, which would take me home directly.

minyo18.jpg

Minyo Girls have quite a few more events planned this week. I missed out on their actual release day event in Kawasaki because I had other plans. Right now I am thinking of going to their Sunday evening appearance at Sunshine City, but that will depend on a couple other things. We'll see.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls Release Event Mini-Live at Alta Shinseido, Sunshine City (2019/08/04)

min4.jpg

Miyabi, Minori, Ramu

With Wasamin's afternoon event ending around 4 p.m., and Minyo Girls' nearby event scheduled for 6:30 p.m., I had a lot of time to kill. With the benefit of hindsight, I probably would've been better off going home and changing into a dry T-shirt, but I was thirsty, and in the mood for a frosty mug of beer. So I headed straight to Ikebukuro and my favorite watering hole to quench my thirst. However, one drink turned into five, and once it passed 6 p.m. I had a really good buzz going. So much that I misjudged how long it would take me to walk from Nishi-Ikebukuro all the way to Sunshine City.

After attending the Mingaru furage event on Tuesday, I skipped their next three events in Kawasaki, Shizuoka and Chiba, instead opting to see them much closer to where I live. The other nice thing about Sunshine City, aside from the plethora of restaurants inside, is there's a bus stop just outside the mall that takes me directly home. So whenever any group I like plays there I do my best to attend. Anyway, I arrived at Alta, and checking my phone (which had been charging in my backpack) I realized it took me over fifteen minutes to walk over, and the show had already started by the time I made it to the shop. Not a big deal though as they were just beginning their first song. There were quite a few people crowding the back area of the store, but there was plenty of room closer to the stage, so I made my way inside and found a spot around five feet back. Five of the nine members were there; Miyabi, Ramu, Yutori, Minori, and Ryo.

min5.jpg
    Ryo, Yutori, Miyabi

min7.jpg
    Yutori, Minori, Ramu

Being that I had a few cocktails in me, I had a really good time clapping along and doing the hand motions to the songs. In fact, much of the crowd seemed to be in a pretty lively mood. The group did a four song set, and despite this being a release event, most of the setlist consisted of older songs with the exception of their new single 'Happy Days' which they performed at the end. Probably one of the funniest parts of the show was when Ramu-kyun led an MC. In her usual form, and her baby-girl voice, she fumbled her way through the MC, and at a couple points I started heckling her a little bit, growling her name, LOL. But overall it was one of the better mini-live events I have seen Minyo Girls perform. They were extremely energetic, and drew quite a few people from around the mall to come over and check out who they were.

min1.jpg
    My view of the stage

min6.jpg
    Miyabi (and Ramu)

Although I was fairly close to the stage, it seemed everyone in front of me was tall, making it extra tough during the "Camera O.K." period. But I did my best, and got a few decent shots. Immediately after the show I queued up to buy CDs, my plan being to get a Type-A version, and one other version. Except like on Tuesday, there were no Type-A copies. WTH??? Why is this version so difficult to get? So again I picked up a Type-B and Type-C. With my two tickets I planned on using one on Miyabi, but right at the end of the show Ramu-kyun smiled and waved to me again (she did it on Tuesday) so I decided the second ticket would be for her, and I told her as much. In the meantime Miyabi's mom came over and said hello to me, and I was telling her about the nice letter I received from her daughter. I also mentioned my job-hunting escapades. Hey, you never know who might be a good connection!

So after the group shots were done I immediately queued up to meet with Miyabi. I took two 2-shots with her on Tuesday, so instead I decided I would have her sign one of the CDs. She asked if she should write small, but I told her she was the only one who would be signing it, so she can write wherever, and however much she wants...

min9.jpg

In the meantime, she asked if I had read her letter yet. I told her I had, but admitted that I had a bit of trouble with some of the kanji and had a friend help me. She apologized, but I told her not to worry about it since I loved the letter, and I was really happy to receive it, adding that her English was jouzu!

min3.jpg
    Miyabi

A short time later I queued up to meet with Ramu, although I am pretty sure their manager assumed I was going to meet with Miyabi again, and skipped by me when she was asking other fans who they wanted to see. Eventually I stopped her and told her I wanted to see Ramu-kyun (She kept repeating back Ramu-san) so she moved me to another queue to the right, it was just a couple minutes before it was my turn. I asked if a shamekai was okay. She said it was fine, and enlisted Minori to take the photo for us...

min8.jpg

After thanking her, I told her that I really enjoyed her MC, and that her MC skills were becoming really good. I actually mean that, as goofy as she is. She still has that sort of robotic, baby-girl delivery, but she seems much more confident when she is on the mic, and also has a lot of fun, even reacting positively when the fans play with her. In any case, I was glad to have an interaction with Ramu again since I don't meet with her that often. I grabbed my bag to take off, but Miyabi's mom stopped me before I left...

I was quite surprised, but basically she was saying that she really hopes I get my job situation squared away since she really appreciates my support of Miyabi. I told her that I was doing my best, and that if she could think of anything to please let me know since I could use all the help I could get. the funny thing was a couple of the other mom's kept leaning in to hear out conversation. I'm not sure what that was about exactly, but I thought it was kinda funny. After that I excused myself. As I mentioned, there are a ton of restaurants I like in Sunshine City; Soup Stock Tokyo, Tendon Tenya, Taiyo no Tomato Men, Saladish, but I decided on the Hawaiian burger joint Kua'Aina. A fine choice, even if my food took forever to come out.

min0.jpg

Ultimately I don't think I was acting overly foolish at the event, despite probably being more animated than usual. I was more worried about the smell of liquor on my breath. But I had a lot of fun. Usually a couple drinks get me into a spirited mood at idol shows, which is what I was going for. And it isn't like Minyo Girls don't serve alcohol at their monthly 1-man shows, they do! They have a few more release events coming this week. I may attend one. I'll play it by ear.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    The Minyo Girls/Iwasa Misaki "Fighting Battle Concert" at Akihabara Zest (2019/08/24)

This weekend my schedule was filled with Minyo Girls/Wasamin co-events...

[​IMG]

Minyo Girls have been doing these "Battle Concerts" for a few months now, which are sponsored by Utanavi(The show Wasamin co-hosts) In reality, they are not so much a battle as they are a 2-man live concert. It was announced quite a while ago that Wasamin's first appearance in the series would take place in late-August, and I would've purchased a ticket quite a while ago, except I wasn't sure if I would be able to go. Once I was certain I could make the show, it was a matter of getting a ticket, which is where things got slightly complicated...

Minyo Girls regularly sell tickets to their future concerts at many of their events, the only exception being their new release mini-live appearances. The advantage of buying a ticket directly from them is 1) you get credit on your point card, 2) you get two handshake/2-shot tickets for each ticket purchased, and 3) you get priority entry. Wasamin, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as aggressive in hand-selling tickets for the show. Sure, she promoted it during MCs, but that was about it. The majority of Wasamin fans bought their tickets through the various ticket websites. For me, it should've been easy to get a priority ticket from Minyo Girls, but I had missed all of their recent events where the tickets were on-sale. Ultimately I bought my ticket through Lawson.

[​IMG]

On the day of the show I wasn't too concerned about arriving early since I knew I would be among the last to get in. I got to Akihabara Zest just a few minutes before doors, and sure enough the queue was top-heavy with Minyo Girls fans, while most of the Wasamin fans were standing across the street waiting for their number to be called. By the way, I have been to Zest a couple times before. It is fairly close to the AKB48 Theater, on the other side of Chuo Dori (hehe) a block behind the Belle Salle Building, and next to another notable Akiba live house, Twin Box Akihabara. It's a relatively small venue, and I was concerned with how they were going to fit everyone inside. However, once I got in I saw there was plenty of room. In fact if I wanted to I could've stood aroud the middle of the room. However, the back of the venue was on an incline, so you have an unobstructed view. With that in mind I went out to the lobby a few minutes before the show to purchase 2-shot tickets and get my prerequisite cocktail. I returned to find my spot still empty, so I was good to go. I was wearing my Minyo Girls T-shirt and Wasamin Happi since I support both of them. Minori did the kage-ana, and off we go...

Minyo Girls

Minyo Girls took the stage as a 6-nin unit. Missing were Matsuri, Rio, and Yuua. Matsuri and Rio miss a lot of the Tokyo shows since they live far away (Matsuri lives in Hokkaido, Rio in Osaka. The rest of the members are from Kanto) I'm not sure what's going on with Yuua. It seems like she has been missing a lot of the group's promotional events. Her absence is notable since she is widely considered to be co-center with Miyabi. I don't keep track of their setlist, but the performed for almost an hour, and were mainly doing their most intense, high-energy songs, which is something I always enjoy. On the other hand, their set was marred with technical issues, most of which I believe were the fault of the mixing board operator. For one, he had the music much too loud in comparison with the girls' microphones. He seemed to be fiddling with the mix throughout the show too. The other problem was with the girls' microphones. I'm not sure if he was turning them off, or if the mics were malfunctioning, but throughout the show certain members would begin talking or singing and the mic would be off. The girls were switching mics mid-song, and during the one song Ramu actually sings in her microphone was significantly hotter than everyone else. Since I was right next to the booth I kept giving the board-op the 'stink-eye,' LOL.

All that said, I think the girls themselves did a great job. Their choreography is spot-on, and they chose a great setlist to promote themselves to the Wasamin fans. They finished the set with their new single 'Happy Days,' and they preface the song with a lesson of how to do the hand motions in the chorus. This time it was Ramukyun doing the instructions, which was a total hoot. She has that baby-girl delivery, and she always seems like she is slightly confused. But it's completely adorable, and at the end of the day she clearly communicated the instructions, and seemed like she was having a great time doing the MC. Ya know, I think she gets how endearing her shtick is to the audience.

And with that it was Wasa-time! Many of the Minyo Girls fans retreated to the back (actually, many of them left for the lobby) allowing the Wasamin fans to come closer, which meant the ticket issue I described in the beginning kinda worked itself out.

Iwasa Misaki

Wasamin took the stage almost immediately after the Mingaru set ended, wearing her light, floral-patterned kimono. I was concerned about the board guy messing with Wasamin's set, but her music/vocal mix sounded perfect. I guess it's easier with one microphone, as opposed to six. Let me begin with the setlist...

Setlist
    1. Saba Kaido
    2. Hatsuzake
    MC 1
    3. Natsu no Tobira
    4. Koisuru Natsu no Hi
    5. Ajisaibashi
    MC 2
    6. Niji wo Watatte
    7. Toshishita no Otokonoko
    8. Watashi no Kare wa Hidarikiki
    9. Gakusei Jidai
    MC 3
    10. Tonde Istanbul
    11. Fuyu no Riviera
    12. Yarazu no Ame
    MC 4
    13. Koi no Owari Sangenjaya
    MC 5
    14. Koisuru Fortune Cookie (Enka ver.) with Minyo Girls

Wasamin seemed to be in a really goofy mood, as she kept laughing at all of our 'call and response' gags we usually do. In fact at one point she asked who among us had alcoholic beverages from the bar. Seriously though, the main crux of her MC was how she was worried about the setlist, as she didn't want to risk boring the Minyo Girls fans with an hour of her Enka stuff, which is why most of the songs in the middle of the setlist are some of her most fun. She got all four of her 'Wasamin call' songs in, which she obviously gets off on.

By the way, sometime around the first MC all of the Minyo Girls came into the room to watch the show, giggling and smiling at me as they passed. I let them all go directly in front of me to watch, but then wondered if it would've been better to let them stand on the incline, since they are all shorter than most of the fans. But they seemed to be having a good time. At one point a few more people left, and the crowd shifted forward, leaving a big space. Miyabi then turned to me and asked if I wanted to go down to the floor, which I did. I just love that Miyabi was thinking of me. She's very young, but she's very thoughtful that way. I saw that when I read the letter she wrote me, and I got another example if it at their event today (which I will write about later)

[​IMG]
    From Wasamin's blog

Wasamin said that Sangenjaya would be the last song, but then admitted she lied and called for Minyo Girls to come onstage so they could perform a song together. I was wondering what they would choose to sing since there are a couple songs they have both performed (Valentine Kiss, Moshuu Omimai Moshiagemasu) Ultimately they sang Wasamin's version of KFC, which makes sense. The Mingaru members, especially Minori seemed to be thrilled to be performing with Wasamin. Minori began tearing up at one point.

Buppan
    [​IMG]

The clay models from Wasamin and Minyo Girls' YouTube show on Monday

Management told everyone to clear the stage area while they set up for buppan. I retreated outside where it was less crowded. I had already taken photos of the flowers and the clay models the girls made on YouTube earlier in the week. However, when I returned the line to see Wasamin was huge, almost extending out of the club. I had also made a slight tactical error. Since I didn't have too much cash in my wallet I decided just to do buppan with Wasamin, and bought two tickets for a 2-shot. However, I learned later that 2-shots only cost one ticket, which meant I would have to brave her line twice. I should've instead gotten one ticket for Wasamin and one for Miyabi. But oh well. Nothing wrong with two Wasamin visits. I finally made it to the front of the line, and suggested the KFC pose...

[​IMG]

Wasamin immediately exclaimed that she noticed me standing all the way in the back. I told her that I was back there watching the show together with Minyo Girls, and that the raised step made it easy to see. Since the line was long Shinohara-san (Wasa-manager) was moving us through quickly, so Wasamin asked if she would see me on Sunday. I said yes, but that I also had one more ticket. I almost forgot my bag as I left, turning around to retrieve it. I then immediately re-queued.

The queue was somewhat shorter the second time around. Miyabi's mother came over and talked to me for a couple minutes, and once inside both Rinacchi and Ramukyun were smiling and waving to me. I was at a loss for what pose to suggest, and was trying to suggest a different 'KFC' pose, but Wasamin should I was doing something else and immediately suggested this...

[​IMG]

Beer mug? Thumbs up? Not sure, but whatever. It's cute. I told Wasamin that I really loved the setlist, and that I always like when she sings 'Hidarikiki.' She replied, "I did the setlist myself! Did you know that?" I replied yes, because you mentioned it during the MC. She was like "Ahh, you understood!" Yep, and with that I told her I would see her on Sunday. I left the club, and was on the hunt for dinner. Despite the show beginning fairly early, it was almost 8 p.m.

[​IMG]

It's interesting, but not totally surprising that Wasamin arranged the setlist herself. We learned earlier this year that Ishikawa-san (wasamin's previous manager) has historically been the brains behind Wasamin's bigger setlists. But she isn't managing Wasamin anymore, and this was the first long show she has performed sine Shinohara-san took over. It will be interesting to see if there is noticeable change to her setlists going forward. Anyway, after dinner I headed straight home since I needed to get out relatively early the next day. Both Wasamin and Minyo Girls were performing at the Sancha Latin Festival in Sangenjaya. Yep, outside on a hot Tokyo summer day. Good times!

8. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Iwasa Misaki & Minyo Girls at the Sancha Latin Festival in Sangenjaya (2019/08/25)

There wasn't much time to relax since the previous evening's festivities, as I planned on heading out relatively early to again see Wasamin and Minyo Girls, this time at a local festival in Sangenjaya. I wasn't sure how big, or how crowded the event would be. According to the festival website, 30,000 visitors were estimated to attend, but I think that included both days, and the entire parade route. (Yes, the event also held a parade through the neighborhood) I arrived a good 45-minutes before Minyo Girls were set to perform. Wasamin would sing right after...

[​IMG]

Being that I had been to Sangenjaya quite a few times over the past couple months for Wasamin events, I am fairly familiar with the neighborhood. As I walked down the street I was waiting to find a huge open space. But to my surprise I came across a small, semi-roofed park with about a dozen booths, a big stage, and a bunch of picnic tables filling the center. 30,000? There were less than 1,000 people there! Being this was the 'Latin' festival, I was disappointed that there was ultimately just one booth serving Latin-inspired food. The rest of the booths were peddling standard Japanese festival grub; meat skewers, yakisoba, kakigori, kebab, motsu, fried potatoes, and plenty of alcohol. There was a Wasamin booth set up right next to the stage, but I had no idea where Minyo Girls' sales booth was hiding. I'd figure it out later. Since I was early, and it was lunch time, I grabbed a bowl of motsu stew and a beer. I love motsu, but it probably wasn't the best choice since it was quite hot out. Not to mention all the tables were taken (surprise surprise!) so I had no place to sit. I quickly finished my soup, and then roamed around the event until it got closer to showtime.

[​IMG]

Many of the Wasamin and Mingaru fans had already staked out all the picnic tables near the stage. The rest of us had to find random places to stand in the aisles, which caused problems with keeping the areas clear for people who wanted to enjoy the rest of the event. I found what I thought was a decent spot, but I kept getting smashed into by people, one person causing me to spill 1/4 of my beer on my shirt. Jerk! I moved to a different spot, luckily finding a heavy-duty cold fan which kept me completely cool for the rest of the show. The first act was some sort of martial arts exhibition, which I barely paid attention to. They were immediately follow by Minyo Girls...

Minyo Girls

[​IMG]

Once again, Mingaru performed as a 6-nin group, only this time Yuua was there. (Yayy!) I had been worried about Yuua since she has been missing quite a few events lately. However, it was Ramukyun who was not in the cast (Boo!) While most of the fans were in the shade, the stage was completely exposed to the hot sun, which I'm sure was uncomfortable for the members. But it was nice to see Miyabi and Yuua performing as dual-center again, which is something I haven't seen for at least a couple months.

[​IMG]
    Yuua

One interesting thing happened at the show. Minyo Girls have recently started attracting some younger fans. When I say younger, I mean guys in their 20's since they were originally being promoted to the Enka crowd, and developed an older fanbase. Anyway, some of these younger guys have begun mixing in wotagei and the intense "Tiger Fire" style chants and mixes during Mingaru's shows. It seems to me like these guys save their most intense calling for shows in public spaces and events like this. I have seen on two previous occasions where security has told them to calm down, and on this day they were being so loud and intrusive that security had to come over and tell them to stop. Look, I have no problem with fans doing calls, cheering, mixing, and whatnot. But sometimes you need to read the atmosphere. And in a small and quaint festival like this where not everyone is paying attention to the entertainment perhaps doing intense calls like that is not the best idea.

[​IMG]
    Miyabi (and Ryo)

Unlike Saturday, the setlist contained more of Minyo Girls' traditional sounding songs as opposed to their more rock and pop selections. This would be an example of their staff properly reading the atmosphere. In a festival like this it is probably best to be more cultural than idol. It's also a better route to show off Miyabi and Yuua's vocals. Of course they did perform their latest single, which is very J-pop sounding. Ultimately they did a 30-minute set with around six songs. Oh, and at the end Yutori announced that she will be collaborating on some wrestling event with Antonio Inoki. The idea of tiny Yutori and Inoki working together already has me laughing!

Iwasa Misaki

Since some of the Mingaru fans left, I was able to move a bit closer to the stage, but still stay in the shade, and within the line of fire of that heavy-duty fan. There was an MC who introduced each act, and before Wasamin came on the MC announced that for her set there was to be no photography. However I did see a few people taking photos, and staff did nothing about it. Wasamin was wearing that black yukata she wore a couple times during her release promotion week. I would think a dark outfit like that would be the last thing she'd want to wear in the hot sunlight, but she has said more than once it is a summer yukata. Go figure. Here's her setlist...

Setlist
    1. Saba Kaido
    2. Ohisashiburi ne
    3. Blue Light Yokohama
    4. Tonde Istanbul
    5. Koisuru Fortune Cookie (Enka Version)
    6. Heavy Rotation (Enka Version)
    7. Koi no Owari Sangenjaya

With a 30-minute set, Wasamin had to throw in 2-3 extra songs to cover the time. However, she still did her normal three MCs (Songs 2-4 and 5-6 were song consecutively) It was an interesting setlist, and I wondered if she chose these songs because she felt they somehow conveyed a Latin vibe? I guess Hisashiburi, Blue Light, and Istanbul are kind of exotic. But if she really wanted to sing a Latin-esque song she should've performed Naraiuchi. To me that's the most Latin sounding song in her library!

[​IMG]

As for the MCs, Wasamin spent a lot of time talking about the heat. She also made a few comments about the cicadas, which are prevalent around Tokyo in the summer months. In fact there was a tree rising over the stage, and it must have been full of cicadas as the entire event was being serenaded by a loud chorus of chirping. I think she was saying that she's apprehensive about them. I dunno, they are really big bugs, and extremely noisy, but they are quite harmless.

Despite already having two drinks, I became overwhelmingly thirsty. Finally during Wasamin's 2nd to last song I walked over to the other side and ordered a melon flavored-kakigori. The good news was the kakigori booth was really close to the stage, and since I was eating their product I could stand there and watch Wasamin, with virtually nobody around me. I don't know if she noticed me standing over there eating shaved ice, but I'm sure she would've gotten a kick out of it if she had.

Buppan

When I bought the kakigori, I found where the Minyo Girls booth was. It was hiding behind the stage, next to a children's area. I knew I wanted to talk to Miyabi, so after Wasamin's set ended I went over to the table to check out what concert tickets they had. Unfortunately almost every concert they were selling tickets for conflicted with Wasamin events. I decided that I would purchase a CD for one ticket, but their manager told me I could just purchase a ticket without any goods. That was easy. I immediately lined up to see Miyabi. In the meantime Wasamin walked right by me to the table they had just set up for her buppan. The line wasn't long, but I had to wait a few minutes to see Miyabi as one of the fans who brings all sorts of professional photography equipment was doing a session with her. Eventually she came and found me, asking which benefit I wanted. I said 2-shot shamekai, and she enlisted Rinacchi to come over and take the photo.

[​IMG]

After the photo Miyabi asked me something which took me aback. It's kinda private, so I can't really mention it right now. But it hit me that she and her mother must have had a conversation about me since this was something I confided in her mom. But suffice it to say that it totally tugged at my heart because Miyabi was so thoughtful and sincere. I almost wanted to cry. But I kept a stiff upper lip, thanked her for the kind words, and told her I would see her again soon.

I immediately queued up to buy Wasamin CDs, and score tickets for a 2-shot. Both the goods line and the handshake line were long. But it only took 5-minutes or so to get my tickets, and I was off to the other queue. The handshake queue was partially in the sun, so I began to sweat. Good thing I brought two towels to dry myself off. Eventually they moved our queue to make room for the cast of one of the later acts, an-on stage children's ballet class. Finally it was my turn, and Wasamin immediately complained about the heat. She then asked what pose...

[​IMG]

It's our 'complaining about the heat' look. Wasamin's manager didn't really give us much time to talk. But I asked her about the Yukata, and she confirmed that it is quite cool despite the dark colors. There were a couple other things I wanted to say to her but I got pushed out too fast, so I'll save them for next week if I remember.

[​IMG]

The parade was going on outside the event, so I went out the back way to avoid the crowd. Although the backstreet ended up being the parade staging area, so I saw a lot of scantily-clad girls hanging out back there as I made my way back to the station, but not before grabbing a cold drink from a vending machine. Wasamin has two mini-live events planned next weekend, both in Saitama Prefecture. At first I thought I might not be able to make the Sunday event, but I was able to change my existing Sunday plans and clear the day. So it will be another Wasa-weekend next week. Yatta!

• Like Like x 2
  9. BAKA OSHI

BAKA OSHI Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    Twitter:
    ochervet
    @Cristafari I have a chance in November to see both of them over one weekend on 23rd and 24th.

Not sure yet how to get tickets, but I'll do my best to be there. Any chance you'll make it ?

10. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls Mini-Live at Aeon Tokorozawa (2019/09/22)

minyo5.jpg

Last month when Miyabi-chan wished me luck in returning to America, I am fairly sure she believed that would be the last time she would ever see me. So imagine the surprised look on her face when she saw me coming up the escalator while she was passing out flyers.

Although it was revealed to her via her mother at the time I was probably moving back to America, I knew I had over a month left in Japan, and there would be a decent chance I could attend another Mingaru event in September. Although I must admit Miyabi's heartfelt best wishes really tugged at my heart, leaving me severely depressed for the next two days. But when I saw that this event had been changed from Ibaraki to Saitama, I had earmarked it as a show I wanted to see, especially if Miyabi was in the cast. Lo and behold she was, as was Yuua, so on Sunday morning off I went to Saitama.

minyo6.jpg minyo8.jpg
    Yuua and Miyabi

Arriving at 11:15, the first person I saw as I came up the escalator was Miyabi, passing out flyers to passers-by for their upcoming performance. She did a double-take, and then smirked in a way I am all too familiar with. As I passed I quickly told her I was going to America in October, but I would probably return a month later. I had a similar encounter a few minutes later when both Miyabi and Yuua's parents arrived, Miyabi's mom looking shocked and Yuua's mother smiling. I actually hadn't seen Yuua's mom in quite a while. So I explained to them the rapid changes going on in my life, and while Miyabi's mom seemed a little skeptical, I told her there was a good chance this opportunity would come through. Anyway, I found a seat in the third row (it wasn't very crowded) donned my happi coat, and got ready for the event.

minyo4.jpg
    Rinacchi and Yuua

This was a 5-nin event. In addition to Miyabi and Yuua, Ryo, Rina, and Minori were also performing. I believe Yutori was initially supposed to be there, but she recently announced graduation, and hasn't been at many events lately. While Miyabi and Ryo were passing out flyers, the other three came out and did a 2-song rehearsal. Then a few minutes later Minori and Rina took over flyer duty while Yuua, Miyabi and Ryo did a 1-song rehearsal. There was an odd dynamic going on with passing shoppers; whenever the group sang a song various people would come over to check them out, then when they did MCs the shoppers would disappear. This happened during both the rehearsals and the two live events.

Since this was technically still a promotional event for their third major single release, most of the songs they performed were from those CDs. However, they also sang their first two singles, as well as Akita Ondo. As expected, both Yuua and Miyabi flanked the sides of the stage as the lead singers, while Rinacchi, Non, and Ryo were the main dancers in the center, although the three of them did plenty of singing as well. They got the biggest reaction when thy sang Shochu Omimai Moshiagemasu, which I didn't even realize is one of the tracks of the new single. The other c/w track I really like from the single is Konpira Fune Fune, which is a really old cover. Both Yuua and Miyabi sounded great, and I resolved to do a 2-shot with both of them, first Miyabi after the first show then Yuua after the 2nd show...

minyo2.jpg
    minyo9.jpg

You don't get too much time to talk during 2-shots, but I did take a few moments to fill Miyabi in on what changed since the last time I talked to her. I told her how happy I was about it. She stated she was really happy too, and wished me luck. As for Yuua...

minyo1.jpg
    minyo7.jpg

I wanted to test Yuua a little, since in the back of my mind I was concerned about something. She is a Jr. High student in Saitama, and I will likely be working at a Jr. High in Saitama. I know it would be an amazing coincidence if I ended up working where she goes to school, so I told her specifically what town I was supposed to be working in, just to see what kind of reaction she would have. She seemed happy, but not overly surprised, that was a good sign as it would be very awkward if I showed up for work and on my first day encountered Yuua, LOL. I don't know where she lives specifically, but I have the feeling her family is somewhere near Kumagaya since when I saw Mingaru there Yuua made a big deal out of it being her hometown. BTW, I am pretty sure Miyabi's mom told me their family lives in Takasaki.

minyo3.jpg

Anyway, I really needed to get a haircut, and I noticed the QB House across from the stage area had no waiting, so I immediately ducked in for a trim right after my 2-shot with Yuua, afterward quickly modeling my new cleaned-up look for the members before bailing back to Ikebukuro. Minyo Girls have events planned for the 28th and 29th, but I have other plans, so I probably won't be seeing them until November, after I return to Japan. Although technically I will me much busier with full-time work, and won't have nearly as much time for idol shows. But I will surely make time for them, especially when they appear around Saitama.

P.S. @BAKA OSHI

I hope I can go to their Hamamatsucho show, but I can't commit to it until I know for sure when I'm returning to Japan. The General release is through Ticket Pia, beginning on October 5th. They might hand-sell them at mini-lives as well. Whether there will be tickets available on the day, we obviously won't know until shortly before the shows.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls Mini-Live at Elumi Konosu (2019/11/10)

minyo3.jpg

I had a big decision to make on Sunday. Would I head back to Tokyo for the second day in a row to see Wasamin? Or would I see Minyo Girls, who were performing at a mall quite close to where I'm now living? Actually, it wasn't a very hard decision to make. Granted, I was sorry that I wasn't going to see Misaki-chan, who is my kami-oshi, and who I have pledged my unwavering support. But I had just spent an afternoon with her the previous day, and I had also committed to be more responsible with my leisurely spending. Going to see Wasamin would require another long and expensive ride to Tokyo, while Minyo Girls' event was less than twenty minutes from my apartment door to door. Moreover, I was really looking forward to telling Miyabi's mom about my new job.

I originally planned on seeing both of the Mingaru performances. However, I messed up on the time of their early set. Not a big deal. One show was enough for me. I headed out in the mid-afternoon, first running an errand before grabbing a train to Konosu, which is just a few minutes north of where I live. I have been to this mall a few times before, the last time being Christmas Eve for a special Wasamin show. In fact they had already put up the Christmas decor, so it looked pretty much the same as it did the last time I was there.

I wondered why there was a four hour break between the sets. I turned out that Mingaru were splitting the stage with You Mizuki, who is another enka-idol, not dissimilar from Wasamin. She is also on the Tokuma Records label. I got to the mall in the middle of her buppan. She is quite cute and young looking, despite being in her late-30's. I would've never guessed. Afte greeting a few of the Mingaru fans who I hadn't seen in a while, I grabbed a late lunch at Hidaka-ya, some gyoza and a coke.

Around 30 minutes before their set, the girls came out to pass out flyers. Miyabi immediately noticed me standing there, and instead of her usual smirk she gave me a broad smile, as if she was really happy to see me. I actually got nice greetings from all four members who were there, including Yuua, Minori, and Ryo. The promoted item of the day was their third single, which I already have multiple copies of. My plan instead was to purchase a ticket to one of their upcoming lives. Either their countdown show on the 24th, or their "battle concert" with Wasamin on December 1st. I'd have to wait though since the ticket sales were reserved for after the live. In the meantime I saw Miyabi's parents hanging out near Mister Donut. They waved to me, so I came over and filled them in on my recent move, and my new job. Miyabi's mom has seemed really concerned about my future in Japan, so she was really excited to hear about what I was up to. After two live rehearsals (first Yuua and Ryo, then Miyabi and Minori) it was time for the show.

minyo4.jpg

The group did a six-song set, which consisted of their three major singles, their last indie single, and two of their recent c/w tracks. There was quite a large crowd in attendance, and the two 'wotagei guys' were going 1000% intensity, drawing the attention of half the mall. At first I was right in front of them, so their antics were a bit annoying, but during the second song I moved over to the left side of the venue. Earlier I had the opportunity to score a seat, but decided instead to hang in the back, which is why the photos I took are all long shots. Oh well. I'd rather let the locals, the kids, and the silverbacks have the seats. I get to be close to these girls all the time.

minyo1.jpg minyo2.jpg
    Miyabi and Yuua

After the show, staff set up a sales desk for live tickets. Minyo Girls have quite a few solo-lives coming up; their monthly one-man shows, and the December show in Akihabara with Wasamin, which was the ticket I wanted Their manager asked me if I wanted a ticket to their November countdown live in Hamamatsucho, but I explained to her now that I'm living in Saitama, I must limit my trips to Tokyo. So as much as I would like to see the show, I had to turn her down. But I got the ticket I wanted, and I had two buppan tickets, so I was good to go. After the group shots it was time for individual chekis and shamekai, I was fifth in line, and since Miyabi was busy with a fan, I decided to go with Yuua first...

minyo5.jpg

Miyabi looked slightly miffed I didn't go to her first, but I would see her in a few minutes. In the meantime, I told Yuua that like her, I am now a Saitama resident, and that I was teaching Junior High School English. Yuua got really excited and immediately ran over to Miyabi to share the news. It was just too bad that Yuua's mom wasn't there, I am looking forward to talking with her about it. A short time later I requeued. The manager took off for a moment and Miyabi was running the queue. When she got to me I told her that she was my choice, and she seemed to want to move me to the front of the line, but we waited for the manager to return before I was invited to the stage.

minyo6.jpg

I love Miyabi's pose, LOL. Since Yuua took the photo, I decided to give them both a few more details, specifically telling them which schools I am working for. Yuua's eyes were bugging out of her skull. I was kind of afraid to ask he what was up with that reaction. (Which is why I want to see her mom) I don't think Yuua lives in Okegawa, but she was definitely familiar with the schools. I think perhaps she knows people who go there? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I was out of tickets, but there's a really nice supermarket at Elumi, so I decided to pick up something for dinner before heading back home. It was a fun day, and I'm glad I had the chance to catch up with Miyabi, Miyabi's parents, and Yuua. I will see them again in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    The 2nd Minyo Girls/Iwasa Misaki "Fighting Battle Concert" at Akihabara Zest (2019/12/01)

[​IMG]

Flowers!

As often as Minyo Girls do these "battle concerts," it is somewhat surprising that Wasamin isn't invited more often, That said, this was the second time in the last 3 1/2 months that Wasamin has made an appearance there. But before we get into the show....

I neglected to mention on the Minyo Girls thread that little Yutori, one of the original Mingaru members, graduated last month. And the morning of this show, two more members, Yuua and Ramukyun, both announced their upcoming graduations in January. It is quite the blow to what I have always felt was a promising newcomer group. Yutori was the original front girl back in the early days. Yuua, another original member, has functioned as the co-lead of Minyo Girls for at least the past two years. Then there's Ramukyun, the adorably quirky shamisen player. Her announcement may have been the biggest surprise. Not to mention a significant blow since I have to imagine that cute, teenage shamisen players aren't easy to come by. And even if the shamisen has become less significant on their recent releases, I still feel that it is an integral part of the group's identity. Anyway...

The other late announcement was Wasamin's scheduled appearance along with Miyazawa Sae at the boat races in Yokohama. Wasamin has appeared at the Shizuoka boat races quite a few time in the past, but this was the first time she was appearing at a Kanto location. Moreover, the co-billing with Sae seemed totally out of left-field. Ultimately I had very little interest in traveling out to Kanagawa, which is at least a 2-hour ride from my home. Seeing Wasamin and Minyo Girls in Akiba would be plenty of entertainment for me. So I spent the morning straightening up the house before heading to Tokyo in the early afternoon.

I arrived in Akihabara shortly before 3 p.m. I had over an hour until doors, so I decided to spend a little while at The Hub for happy hour. The tickets to get in were numbered, and I had scored my ticket at a recent Mingaru mini-live, which assured me of getting into the venue early. When I entered the staff asked me who I was there to see. Last time I came to this show, I told them I was there for Wasamin and there was no door gift. This time I wisely told them I was there for Minyo Girls (I was even wearing a Mingaru T-shirt) and received a bonus photo. I went straight into the stage area, and had a choice; Either one back from the stage on the side, or two back in the center. I chose the center since it would be closest to Wasamin during her set. I dropped my stuff on the floor to save my spot, and went to purchase 2-shot tickets...

[​IMG]
    The Minyo 5-nin lineup

I lined up for Minyo tickets first since the line was longer, and made a bit of a tactical error. I purchased two handshake/2-shot tickets for 1000 yen each, forgetting that I could've purchased a ticket to Yuua and Ramu's graduation for 1000 yen more, and received the same amount of tickets. I thought about returning to the table and asking to make an exchange, but I have done that with Minyo Girls a couple times before, and didn't want to be a pain in the ass. Meanwhile, I got one ticket for Wasamin since her line is always huge at this event. I figured one visit would be enough. With that I returned to my spot, and cleared away the people standing over my jacket. It was showtime!

Minyo Girls took the stage as a 5-nin group. Missing were Rio and Matsuri, who at this point seem almost like part-time members since they both live far from Tokyo. Also missing was Ramukyun, which was a real bummer since I wanted to talk to her after her announcement. At least I could talk to Yuua-chan, as well as Miyabi, who at this point is clearly my Mingaru oshi. After opening with the Yuua-led single from Minyo Girls IV, they did a series of intense and fun b-sides from their last two singles. In fact the only A-side they performed was Mirai. Yuua and Miyabi normally flank the sides of the stage, so I had Ryo and Minori in front of me most of the time. Minori is the group leader, and she is well-familiar with who I am a fan of, but she still found time to play with me once in a while. They neglected to do a photo-op portion of the show, which management apologized for on Twitter the next day, but they did post this photo of the encore...

[​IMG]
    BTW, that's my hand between Rinacchi and Wasamin

The Mingaru set was around 45 minutes, and Wasamin would come out after a brief break. She looked gorgeous, in what I thought might be new dress until she said she had worn it once before, and made the fans guess where she wore it. Still, she looked cute, and once again was rockin' her hair down which just melts my heart. She decided to do a slightly different type of setlist this time. Here ya go...

Wasamin Setlist
    01. Hatsuzake
    02. Watashi no Kare wa Hidarikiki
    03. Toshishita no Otokonoko
    04. Niji wo Watatte
    05. Koisuru Fortune Cookie (enka version)
    06. Heavy Rotation (enka version)
    07. Machibuse
    08. Ame
    09. Tamashii no Refrain
    10. Senbon Zakura
    11. Koi no Owari Sangenjaya

EN01. Aitakatta (with Minyo Girls)

[​IMG]

Well jeez, where do I start? Tracks 2-4 are the "call and response" songs, which the Minyo members all said they were fascinated by. By the way. Wasamin asked the audience who was left-handed. At first almost everyone raised their hand, but she again asked "No really?" Now I have told her at least twice that I am left-handed, but she still seemed surprised by the revelation. Next was the AKB-enka version section, followed by the new tracks from her recent album. Now I am guessing many of the people here have yet to hear her new album. Many of the songs are quite the departure from her usual material. Machibuse is such a sexy song, possibly my favorite of the release, and then you have 'Refrain' and 'Zakura," both anime-related J-pop songs. In fact, the Wasafans went into full wota-mode, doing calls, chants. It was the first time I had heard the Wasamin fans do anything like it, and she had a blast, laughing the entire time...

But the ultimate nostalgic moment was the encore performance of Aitakatta, which had Wasamin completely gassed out by the end. I'm not sure why she is so out of shape at 24, but whatever. She was amazed that none of the Minyo's were even out of breath at the end. They did a brief promotion for upcoming events, as well as the goods for sale outside, before ending the show. I quickly headed to the bar for my requisite drink, and a few minute breather before lining up for Wasamin...

I had contemplated using my to Mingaru tickets for a group shot, but when I found out it was only five members I passed. In any case, the group shot opportunity ended while I was still waiting for Wasamin. Eventually it was my turn...

[​IMG]

This picture is an inside joke between me and some of my students. I explained it to Wasamin, and she thought it was cute. After complimenting her outfit, I told her I was indeed left-handed, which is why I have always loved that song. Shinohara-san gave me an extra couple seconds to explain the gesture, and after that I immediately queued up for Minyo Girls. At first I debated; would I spend my two tickets for one signed cheki with Miyabi, or two unsigned chekis with Miyabi and Yuua? Ultimately I decided that I really wanted to talk to Yuua, so I would split the tickets. Here are my two chekis...

[​IMG][​IMG]

My 'namida' pose with Yuua since she is graduating. It was funny though, while I was in line for Yuua, Miyabi came over to me twice asking if I was sure I didn't want to see her. Uh oh, she is growing up to be a possessive idol, I love it! They both asked how my new job was going, and I told both of them that I was having a lot of fun, and that my students are all very cute.

And with that I took off, first grabbing a quick dinner in Akiba, and then heading back home. But not before seeing Miyabi's parents, who I quickly said hello to and expressed my sadness about Yuua (she and Miyabi are best friends) I'm not sure when exactly I am seeing Wasamin or Minyo Girls again, but they both have plenty of events this month. I do have a ticket to the Wasamin fan club Christmas Party later this month, and I just received my latest copy of Misaki Magazine with a bunch of new events scheduled. As for which events I will attend, we will see. I suspect there will be a new single soon, as well as a solo concert, so I will need to check my Wasa-budget.

As for Minyo Girls, they will soon be a 6-nin group. Three of the ten ori-members remain (Miyabi Rio, Matsuri), 2nd gen and captain Minori, and then 3rd gens Rinacchi and Ryo. Considering two of those members are strictly part-timers I think the near future will be very telling. If this group means to go on they will definitely need at least 2-3 new members, including a new shamisen player. So let's hope we see some Mingaru kenkyuusei announcements in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Miyabi's Solo Debut

After the big surprise of Yuua and Ramu's graduation announcement (Their final stage is tomorrow) Miyabi had a surprise announcement of her own; her solo debut!

On@ - Meguruwa

minyo2.jpg

The song is available as a digital download on itunes, recochoku, spotify, amazon music, and a few other sites.

I guess this should come at no surprise, considering that Miyabi has been making the rounds as a singer on television over the last year. Her vocals are very strong, which is why she has essentially been the center of Minyo Girls for the last couple years. But it makes me wonder about the future of Minyo Girls as a group. Two of their most popular members are graduating, their center is venturing out as a soloist, and two of their ori members are functioning as part-timers. It may be time for a retooling if this group is going to move forward.

minyo3.jpg

But for Miyabi, I think this is a really strong debut. It's too bad that it is so obscure. I'd love to see this song get attached to an anime...or something. With Yuua and Ramu graduating, Miyabi is the only remaining Mingaru member I have ever supported. So it was quite fitting that I got a message earlier today from another Minyo/Wasa fan inviting me to "Support Miyabi together." It is also eerily reminiscent of my humble beginnings with Wasamin. Supported her when she was really young,watched her blossom into an amazing vocalist, and then supported her efforts to become a soloist. This idol fandom is truly cyclical!

Anyway, I invite everyone to join me in supporting Miyabi's solo career.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Another MV from Miyabi (as On@)

This time she is covering the song "Gurenge" which was a recent single by LISA. I think it would make a fine c/w track if she releases a proper single. In any case, I am getting increasingly excited about Miyabi's budding solo career!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Minyo Girls announcement...

Beginning July 1st, the group will be changing it's name to WAWAWA (Apparently it's announced Waaaaaa? Or Wawawa. I'm not sure.) They will have a "debut single" in September with the six remaining members. I have a feeling this means they will be strayg away from the minyo/enka sound, but we'll see.

To be honest, the moment I heard this news, the first thing I thought of was Scott Baio on the old American sitcom Happy Days...

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    It's official...

Minyo Girls have changed their name to WAWAWA. Their first single under the new name will be released this coming September, and again it will be the ending theme of the Dual Masters anime.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    I saw a tweet earlier today from Miyabi about an online autograph signing session (for which orders were still being taken) so I quickly created an account with Limited Stand, ordered a copy of Type A of the new CD, then sat back and watched the broadcast:

My name is first spoken by Miyabl at 55:58. She has a few goes at pronouncing my name, then the other girl (Ryo) takes the cheki with the camera. Following some distraction with Ryo (who I think had put one of her chekis in the wrong sleeve) she then holds up my cheki at 58:05 and then puts it in the sleeve unsigned.

It looks like a few of the chekis apart from mine were also unsigned. My guess looking at the order page (https://limista.jp/detail-project.php?p_no=934) is that perhaps I needed to go for the 3 CD option to get a signed cheki? It's all rather unclear, however the 3 CD option was over 4,000 JPY (plus shipping costs to the UK via my proxy in Japan) so I went for the cheaper option of 1 CD. I'll wait to see what I receive and of course for any overseas fan it's always nice to have your name spoken in a live online broadcast!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    I liked the D and d hand signs (assuming they were for David).

• Like Like x 1
  19. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    She did say 'D-posu' a couple of times so I certainly hope they were for me! :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    August 22nd was the last Limited Stand signing promotion for the upcoming single.This one featured Miyabi and Minori. I waited until this last event because I didn't want to order too far in advance.  Plus, I'm more of a fan of Minori than I am of Ryo. I went for the full set of three CDs so I could get a signed cheki. By the way, I really like the song, which they play on a loop throughout the event. And of course Miyabi's is probably the most prominent voice on it.

Actually, my internet access went down shortly before 1 p.m., and didn't come back up until around 15 minutes into the event. I could've used my phone, but I just didn't think of it at the time. When my internet came back and I was able to access the YouTube channel, Miyabi was in the middle of signing my cheki. So I had to rewind it back a few minutes to watch the entire segment. Anyway, my turn came at 16:40. (CK-san) The girls also brought me up again at 1:02:25 when Minori finally made the connection of who I was. That was cute.

Anyway, looking forward to the next WAWAWA event.

• Like Like x 2