1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

TV / Radio Nogizaka Under Construction (2015/04/19 - )

Discussion in 'Nogizaka46 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MasToppu

MasToppu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Kosaka Nao
    Riria use Haki to slow down boss punch was one of the best scene in this episode.[hehe]
    Mayutan is amazing. That was difficult trick, especially the "machine gun", if they remove the guide stick.:D

• Like Like x 2
  2. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

As far as i can have good time with over the top tokusatsu, that one is skippable, too much cringe for a literally no budget production. Its understandable for nogichuu but still :gavel: - it doesn't feel worth as guilty pleasure

Mayu's part now that is impressive

3. delta29

delta29 Kenkyuusei

earth,solar system,milky way galaxy,Universe
    Oshimen:
    Yamazaki Rena
    i've watch Riria's action scene a few more time now and what bothers me the most was not the fact that the rocket launcher had like unlimited rocket in the tube or that the goons are a worst shot than a stormtrooper or the fact that everything is over the top. no, what bother me the most was the glove, yes, its THE GLOVE that riria wears. now bear with me, this is going to be a bit (very) technical.
    there is a principle in visual story telling (that include TV, Movie, Theater, etc) called chekov's gun, some of you may have heard it, but for those who haven't it goes something like this "if a gun was hung on the wall in the first act, then by the third act, someone has to get shot. otherwise don't put it there". what it means is that every element of a story must be necessary, and everything that is irrelevant to the story have to be remove. this include small stuff like props on the set, a piece of dialogue, or a camera/lighting movement, to bigger stuff like a certain sequence or even an entire scene. in Riria's case, what was the purpose of the glove or more specifically the taking off of said glove for the storytelling? now, i know that there's a practical reason for those glove and that's to protect Riria's hand when falling but from a storytelling perspective, Riria taking off the glove have no purpose in the story, its irrelevant, so either have her wear the glove all the way through (including for the studio part) or not wear them at all would be a better option.

sorry for the over complicated analysis, my film maker side just takes over me there

4. Vapour

Vapour Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    大園桃子, 賀喜遥香
    Riria's flying kick somehow reminded me of Silver Crow's kick :XD:

Indeed, honestly I didn't expect Mayutan could do the last trick in the first try.

5. YuNcHuNsA

YuNcHuNsA Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Yass Summer break homework is here!!

6. SteCola

SteCola Future Girls

Oshimen:
    tamurahono
    I think you don't have to take Riria's action scene video for serious, it was made exaggerated on a funny way, like a parody. Of course it was made like that on purpose. Even member were laughing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    And crying.

8. NyanNyan's Pet

NyanNyan's Pet Next Girls

Well, as long as they accomplish their task, guess everything's good. Just don't want to see another Himetan.
    Must be two more episodes. Excited for the trampoline, doggie & magic tricks. Those should be fun.

9. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

Well we can't make please everybody, don't we :D ; i watched it with glasses of un-seriousness and not found anything fun about, it's just like, lack of "punch". if not for bananaman commentary then idk . i dont mind laugh my ass off with something absurd like who killed captain alex, even as bad as it was.

im sorry delta but i personally think you missed what chekov gun actually mean in that example. The essence of that principle is anything that been foreshadowed early should make the way into the story later(in context of consequential narrative) . If the video show riria was a sharpshooter before or bring a gun with, but instead she only use barehand on the way then that is false premises according to that principle. Probably if we prolong and loosen up the terminology, to the fatal extent(plot hole) it can be applied -- as narrative-- in like they showed denchan as hostage+the boss scene, but after riria defeat the boss, the whereabout of denchan never come back into the story again.

So i disagree that the glove work as chekov gun, as its been used along the clip. What it need, if we take this into the elementary form, a backstory like the glove has been foreshadowed for having somekind of extra power/ability, like laser beam, wolverine claw or idk.
    It quiet prevalent in james bond-ism kind of story; for example in The dark knight:

if the video does not show watch the video here
    Everything that been showed in that clip has significant use later into the story

But again that just a part of ; context of story can change such formalism. In B(or C) level of production, what seems for make-no-sense can be the strength of its own-- like a guilty pleasure

-----
    After see it again, i think that scene actually make a sense -- but by logic of its own world, not realism. the scene was needed, sort of.
    after the boss bring denchan out, then subsequently its cut into riria. Now we see that she will chase the boss, but it will kind of hollow if the scene just show riria run straightforwardly without any reaction. The scene need something to emphasis and the choice is she "theatrically" taking off the gloves. On the subtext it can mean she increase her level of seriousness, take it far more personal, "i've enough" statement, something like that.
    We can change and simulate the scene with other thing, like riria kick near object or she just yell something instead, but it can/will convey another thing, like probably show her frustration, and should be suited if the story get cliffhanger/anticlimac where the boss make escape.

• Like Like x 1
  10. delta29

delta29 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yamazaki Rena
    I think you're mixing up chekov gun and foreshadowing, both are a different concept. Foreshadowing is more like teasing, which mean they show it directly to us what might happen next. Chekov gun doesn't tease, it just show. It can be like this, foreshadowing is when the character pick up the gun from the wall and show it to his friend but doesn't use it yet, chekov gun is when the gun is just hanging on the wall, not touched or talked about. in riria's case, its not teasing since its something happening in the background basically (in this context). I'm not talking about the glove itself, but rather the taking off of the glove. I think the simplest way to understand chekov gun is this, if you take out something from a scene, a prop, dialogue, whatever, does it affect the story in any way? If yes, then keep it in, if no, take it out. In this case, is riria taking off the glove affect the story in any way? No, her fighting style stays the same, she doesn't get any stronger, or have any advantage from before, then they should have not keep it in. As i say, either keep them on or don't wear it from the start
    Just because it looks cool, doesn't justify that you should do it, unless its comedy in which case you can do whatever the f*** you want, because comedy rule are different. But back to riria, if you really want it to look theatrical then why not have her crack her knuckle or loosen her neck or something
    Its actually have nothing to do with the level of production, its just the basic of film making

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  11. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

when i use the word "foreshadowing" i didnt refer directly as that storytelling device-- but as you mentioned it -- i get that likely i mixed the differ of exposition vs subtleness, so pardon for the carelessness.
    ---the coherent implementation of chekov gun principles, led to the reduction only for the essential has clear part later in the story, but i see this kind of debatable, as whether chekov gun definition as mere principles of "cut out the unnecessary vs the necessary "
    but some part that i read often show the blurred line of those both(chekov vs foreshadow) , and as far as i understand right now, the chekov gun implementation often end up just as art of foreshadowing itself.
    Back in the example of TDK above it will be bad move if any of the gadgets in exposition scene never has any role in the narrative -- a waste according to chekov's gun rule -- though i agree that should called as bad writing rather, because it told to the audience

For subtle reference, In the movie once upon of a time in hollywood (for recent example). Early in the movies both MC showed(leo's flamethrower and brad pitt's dog) but dont tell until the climax part. As its reveal through the end we feel now that QT applications is still can be called foreshadowing while follow straight chekov's gun approach

i get what your point but i'll say not necessarily in that way--again in speaking in context.
    but even in this case im already explained above (based on my comprehension) it does has particular affect to convey the scene

that is not what i mean at all, it's not about power level; it's more like emotional state and mark the transition to the other scene.

i dont say to make it cool(i dont think that was, but i can understand if ppl feel that way though) but to emphasis, and i dont see the need to repeat my point right now, but to put it is simple, it the same way of exaggeration you'll probably see in theater which has necessity to convey thing lot through movements

Its justify because its over the top, not ground on realism. So i dont get why it must be a comedy to get such privilage. Even serious part of cinema which is arthouse often just break the rule. If not, for example we wont get such piece like Antonioni's that often not cut the unnecessary in context to emphasis the aimlessness of the narrative

of course level, type of production matter. In general logic in B movie is not necessarily follow the textbook definition of what good narrative is.

well, just my opinion but ill be honest, i think your take for definition of film making kind of rigid doctrine. In the end there is no absolute rule in filmmaking, only as guidance, play of reference, and ofc context.
    I dont say ppl cant criticised but just where to put it. Well maybe im in the wrong regard this so cheer ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  12. delta29

delta29 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yamazaki Rena
    what i can take from this discussion is that, were looking at a subject from 2 different views. for me, i'm mainly a technical guy, i mainly do cinematography work and only do directing occasionally, i think you can see that if you read most of my blog post. and as a cinematographer, my job is to make the director vision into reality. but, i also have to keep the director vision down to reality, because sometimes, what the director have inside his/her head cannot be translated into the screen because of various reasons. while you look at it more like a director, looking at it more like a grand story as if you're reading a book, a vision of what something would look like if it was done in one shot. you'd be surprise how much this sort of argument happen in real life, because cinematographer and director argue all the time trying to figure out what's possible and what's not.

production level only affect the technical side of a movie like equipment, set, talent, art, etc. the creative side of it like script, story and narrative doesn't differ that much whether its a blockbuster hollywood movie, a small indie movie or an amateur film, if not its actually exactly the same. what makes a different in the creative side of making a movie could be anything from where's the movie from, who's the director, when it was made, and a lot more things. for example, asians movie are better at doing storytelling while western movie are better at doing things like action (just look at any korean drama vs any michael bay movie). for more micro example, Japanese are very good at doing mystery/detective style film, korean are very good at love story, south east asian especially thai and indonesia are very good at making horror. so its not really the level of production that make a good narrative, its just the people who make it...

13. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

i see. yeah i come to notice you before regard-- so i relly consider your background
    well i never realize it but as my interest in cinema often bring me into this topic: especially about important directors --when im curious about their works, their vision, what motivate their creative decision-- and what i can tell it take all kinds, whether one disagree or agree with their vision. so probably it affect me the way i see this subject. im no near pro but sometime im experiment myself just for my own amusement.

i think its already strayed on what i actually mean above, so for not make more of misunderstanding.
    "In general, logic in B movie is not necessarily follow the textbook definition of what good narrative is." ,
    what i mean is:
    what to be considered good narrative(both theory and practice) in common movies wont much applied in B movie production;
    instead the bad aspects of the movie: whether weak writing or even technicality(vfx, props, acting, etc) could somehow become the strength itself. that where the bad logic, bad physics, exaggeration, is very excusable instead it embrace to make little sense but lot of fun. it already define style "so bad so good"
    you probably have seen thing like Machete, which kind of homage for exploitation movie

if the video does not show watch the video here

14. Neosu

Neosu Kenkyuusei

Can't wait for next week.Always fun watching these summer activities episodes.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DC using Tapatalk

15. vshav

vshav Member

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Kotoko
    Mayu is very dexterous with her hands. It's amazing.. She might be a prodigy in this.

Riria's action choreography is so bad that it's so fun. That was long tbh!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. galangsatria

galangsatria Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Twitter:
    galangsatrw
    New official photo
    nogi_kouji.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. delta29

delta29 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yamazaki Rena
    seriously, who direct this photo?? :asdfgh:
    we have the shortest member in the group standing behind the tallest member, one of the shorter 4th gen in between the 2 tallest one. and they don't even give the member in the back something to stand on. c'mon, you can at least direct the member to have more symmetry in the photo....

18. Zaebore

Zaebore Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takamoto Ayaka
    Another good episode this week. I am more than convinced that the Nogizaka girls are talented in skills of various categories and spectrums after witnessing the activities they want to do so far. The highlight for me in this episode is Umezawa and her VR drawing. That segment impressed me very much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    I agree. I have toyed around with that VR app myself and although you can do many wonderful things with it, it definitely isn't easy to create something that looks good. Especially when you have just a few minutes and need to make a performance of it. Well done!

Rei-chan's part wasn't really the most entertaining thing to watch, but the fact that she nailed it seemingly without any trouble is a testament to how hard she worked.

The magic show was fun. I am easily impressed by these kind of tricks. Saku and Kakki didn't miss a beat and put on an engaging performance.

When it comes to episodes like this, half an hour is way too short.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. SteCola

SteCola Future Girls

Oshimen:
    tamurahono
    These are good episodes for the girls too. They are really busy working as idols but with this segment they can learn with professional people something different and having new skills.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019