Oshihen

Discussion in 'General JKT48 Discussion' started by Bejo Bebek, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Bejo Bebek

Bejo Bebek Kenkyuusei

Have you ever done it? Why did you do it?

2. abaone94

abaone94 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    melodynurramdhani
    Twitter:
    abaone94
    I've never oshihen-ed since I chose Melody as my current oshimen. Before, I once took my interest in Cleo and Ve, but then it appears that I like Melo's charisma the most :) Until now, my team J oshi is her.

However, there is simply too many that took my attention from team KIII. Yupi, Ikha, Viny, Yona, Sisil... these are the names that I could add as a favorite member in KIII. But after Yuuhi and a few Boku no Taiyou theaters, I was beginning to follow Natalia. She affected me so much so that I added her as my KIII oshi :inlove:

Well, the point is, I never really oshihen when I saw a "sparkling member" between all those girls. I would usually oshiadd them instead of turning by back entirely... at least for now.

Maybe.

3. Bejo Bebek

Bejo Bebek Kenkyuusei

^Hahaha... "Oshiadd"! I like that term. That's exactly what I've been doing lately, while saying to myself "real men don't oshihen, we add oshi(s)". :D

The thing is, I heard that this DD thing is kinda frowned upon. Could you have more than one oshimen? Should there be classifications among our own favorite members? If oshihen did happen, how would your former oshi finds out about it, anyway? Are there any known consequences of doing oshihen, at least in JKT48 fandom?

4. kurisu

kurisu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ghaidafarisya
    The thing is, there are a lot of little quirks to the fandom... and I wouldn't take them all seriously... though it would be a lie to say another fan won't judge you for your actions.

Honestly you should ignore those folks, but... yeah, at times it's hard.
    And I do it myself in some ways.

For example and it's wrong and unfair for me to think this but it's frankly embedded almost at this point (an excuse, I know) but:
    If you say your oshimen is Kojima Haruka, I think you might be a new fan.
    I can be completely wrong here... but I tend to think Kojiharu as the member that new fans gravitate to the most.
    It happened when I was starting to research about 2nd generation members and read that Hanna's oshi is Kojiharu. Instantly in my head I thought: Oh, she's new to the fandom?
    Completely bullheaded of me.

And the add to that another quirk you see...: You get more credibility (in some circles) when your oshi is a "2nd tier member" and not in senbatsu, because the assumption is that you know more about the members in general and didn't just pick someone you saw on TV one time.

All this speaks to a fandom dis-functionality when we're judging each other without no real proof, it's like "writing someone off" because of one thing they said one time. It does need to stop because it's counter-productive to what we all want, JKT48 to gain more popularity, which they'll need more fans for.

Is it pure elitism? Is it just the idol culture how the '48 is?

Some people are DDs by nature, and there's nothing wrong with that... but you're going to have to deal with people discounting your opinion in some ways. Maybe it speaks to a loyalty you're suppose to have within the '48 community, you - the fan, are meant to be someone who tries their hardest to support the members; they started from zero and they need your support. That is the complicated relationships of idols.

My 48 family oshimen is Miyazawa Sae, for three years.
    My JKT48 oshimen is Ghaida... however, I sometimes pay more attention to my favourite members more so than her. It's not an oshihen but... Kinal more and more goes up in my ranking, same with members like Gaby, Hanna, Cindy.
    Will I oshihen? I'm not sure, I've never thought it through because of the complications that would arisen, the people I'm familiar with the most... are the ones I found through having the oshimen I have.
    Whether that own pressure does something, or just the impact of the idol culture itself or just my own personality... I am very unlikely to oshihen and then admit to it.

5. oniqlo

oniqlo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    I'am never oshihen since i see myself as a DD, IMO because every member is a part of the group and i like 48G more than a member.
    And i don't give a damn about "classification of fans by fans"

6. 48GGMU

48GGMU Kenkyuusei

I am never oshihen-ed, coz previously i didn't have oshi XD surprise?? Well, i have a lot member that i like, Dhike, Diasta, Ghaida and when Akicha and Haruka transfered to JKT, instantly i also like them. But when im into AKB, (yeah, im much local fans who knew JKT before AKB) Yuko Oshima change everything (wew, lebay XD), and now i proudly say that i am Yuko oshi. About JKT member, i still like them all. Akicha, Haruka, Diasta, Ghaidha, Dhike still my top 5 JKT member. But they're not my oshi.

7. kurisu

kurisu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ghaidafarisya
    ... the thing about having a oshimen though, I'm honestly super happy and squeal (fangirling)... when she does certain things. And I have no control over it.

And I don't really do that when it comes to my favorites.

8. hikki

hikki Kenkyuusei

I guess I have. When I first started watching the group in 2006, NyanNyan and TakaMina were my favorites... pretty much because TakaMina was always front and center and Kojippa always stood out from the group. I think around 2008, I gravitated to Yuko and she's been my favorite since then. TakaMina and Nyan are still at the front of the pack for me, though.

9. Bejo Bebek

Bejo Bebek Kenkyuusei

Now this is the kind of words that explains it, I guess. I'm perfectly aware that all those excitements and thrills is just my mind playing tricks on me. But... But... It's my oshimen! She's so damn perfect! :cute:

Me neither. The truth is, I don't really care what others think of me being a DD person. But I think I'm starting to gravitate (heavily, if I may elaborate things a bit) towards the "only 1 oshimen, and I mean only 1 oshimen" attitude. There's a particular member of Team KIII who really piqued my interest lately. :blush:

Hmm... Did you feel anything resembling feelings of guilt and/or remorse? I mean, when you oshihen-ed, did you feel bad for your former oshimen? I know, this is a stupid question. But I'm currently having this guilty feeling, because I'm starting to like the new girl more and more, while the opposite happens for my (soon to be) former oshimen. [worried]

10. Pollinic

Pollinic Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    I used to trade a lot of pictures in Japan, hang out outside the theater almost every day where people would meet up and trade, and always see the same guys at the trading area at handshake events. Pretty much all of them had a 1st tier member as oshi, and some of them a second oshi in a lower tier. My oshi was Kojiharu, so I tried to collect any pics of her. As soon as I went back home to Sweden I noticed I had kind of stopped caring about Nyan. Sure, she's cute and funny/stupid and appear in a lot of shows, but I would rather immerse myself more into younger and fresher material. So after awhile, I oshihened to my other favorite since some time back, Takajuri.

I think that when I was in Japan, I was too blind to de-oshi Kojiharu, even though I didn't actually follow up on many of her shows or news about her. I had too much fun wasting my money and time trying to collect anything that had Kojiharu printed on it. I think that if I would have had a lower tier oshimen and collect pics, there would not be many pics to look for, and the fun would end fast. A lower tier member would have what - the monthly set and then 1-2 pics from CDs or DVDs per month.

11. PooPyon

PooPyon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yoshihashi Yuzuka
    Twitter:
    akibachans
    I don't think you need to feel excessive remorse/guilt if you oshihen. Your oshimen is like the wands in Harry Potter, you could say-- "The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter." :D

My first oshimen was Miichan. That was when I was still very very new to the fandom and the only names and faces I recognize were the Senbatsu's. I chose her simply because I thought she's funny and adorable, but that's it. Suumero, on the other hand, caught my attention with her bright smile and demanded to be noticed, so I did, and that's pretty much my oshimen story. It's that moment where you're all "Oh, who is she--" and your eyes are glued on her, even if she's not front row or is doing anything particularly interesting. A kind of indescribable feeling really, because you can't rationalize it. If people ask, "Why is she your oshi?" I would answer with things like "She's cute and sweet," but deep inside I knew it was more than that, and I couldn't explain it even if I wanted to.

If another girl is able to ignite that kind of feeling to me, I'll oshihen in a heartbeat. So far though, Suuchan's the only one. [hehe]

Concerning DD, quoting myself from another thread:

I don't particularly dislike it; it's just that I think it's not effective to have more than one oshimen. Say that Viny and Kinal are both your oshimen. Who would you vote for for the Calendar Senbatsu? Whose PP would you collect? Both? Then you'll either be broke or your support won't be maximized for one girl (you have 300k of phone credits and you use 150k for Kinal and the other 150k for Viny, when you could have spent all 300k on either Kinal/Viny and one of them would have a higher chance of making it).

A member's fan is everything to her. They give up a normal life as a teenager, their energy, their boyfriends, to have a shot at their dreams, and their fans are the tickets to that dream. I personally don't want to half-ass my support to a girl, so I only have one oshimen.

12. oniqlo

oniqlo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    Having an Oshimen then oshihen or become poly oshi etc. For me Yuko is very admireable, versatile in many field. But i never vote her in sousenkyo nor buying lot of handshake ticket for her.
    Fans could make their own rules or code ethics, but even if i being called half-ass fan then so be it.
    It's weird if feeling guilty or remorse because of that "sacred rule".

13. Vinna95

Vinna95 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    i never Oshihen-ed because Melody is my Kami-Oshi since JKT48 was formed.
    I also joined Melodiest, which is Melody's fanbase on twitter.
    Well, for me, Melody is such a beautiful and talented girl, and now she's the center + the captain of JKT48.
    cool!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  14. hikki

hikki Kenkyuusei

No, I didn't have any feelings like that... Nyan and TakaMina are still two of my favorites, I made my original decision from only watching them perform on TV and show up on occasional variety shows like Lincoln... once 1ji59fun and reiji59fun came out, then I started liking Yuko more.

If I switched from Yuko, who has been my favorite for the past 5 years, to someone else now... then I'd probably feel a little bad about it.

But, then again, I'm not as emotionally invested in my oshimen as others may be in their's.

15. gege

gege Kenkyuusei

Well, I have a thought about wanting to oshihen. But it reminds me of why I make her my oshimen. I think we should know what 'oshi' really means. It's not like when there's member being better than her, we just oshihen to that member. Nope. Or maybe when she makes a great mistake, then we oshihen. Nope. Choosing oshi is like a call of the heart, what makes you think 'she is the one'. And for people that already oshihen'd, please make sure to tell your previous oshimen. Eventhough she already lost one of her fans, a loss is still a loss. It may hurt her but at least she's motivated to improve herself so that her fans won't oshihen from her. :chuffed:

16. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    I've only done so once after Acchan graduated, and my Oshi became Sayanee~ Since then I've stuck with Sayanee till present. Although I still follow Acchan on Twitter and IG, and follow whatever she's doing, so you could say I still have her as my favorite ;)
    Paru and Ricchan are two favorites of mine who I love but Sayanee is on a higher scale (same level as Acchan scale, maybe even higher..), When it comes to elections I would give Sayanee more votes than Paru or Kawaei.
    Out of 48 groups, I changed by oshimen from Reina to Riho in Morning Musume after Reina graduated, because Riho was my second favorite before Reina's grad. Although unlike Acchan, I don't follow Reina as closely as I do Acchan because I'm not too fond of her activities with her new group :^^;:

17. holcroft

holcroft Kenkyuusei

i would say it only happened here
    never i heard this kind of elitism exists in japanese fandom afaik.

anyway, i didn't get why some people saw oshihen as a very serious matter? e.g, you have to tell your oshimen that you're going to change oshi etc etc... isn't it kinda harsh to them? haha
    if u want to oshihen just don't brag yourself (except you're really her hardcore fans lol)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  18. kurisu

kurisu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ghaidafarisya
    I watched a show just last night where just that thing happened! Noro Kayo was on Nogizakatte doko one time and she mentioned a long-time fan wrote to her about oshihening to "someone from Nogizaka"... and then Nanamin gasped outloud, lol.

The letter wasn't harsh or mean, it kind of sounded like something an exboyfriend would write the night of his wedding: That Noro was significant to him for a time and that there was still "a place in his heart" for her, but he was moving on............

Yeah....

I don't really understand it myself.
    But it was kind of touching somehow. I guess he use to write her a lot and wanted her to know why he was stopping.

Overall though, it's better not to tell. I just think it's a little harsh... better to fade away over time.

Another point made on that episode though, one of the members mentioned that she lost fans to Akimoto Manatsu and how she found out: She noticed when they were lined up for HS... because she was in the next booth!! :^^;:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  19. Open_SaysaMe

Open_SaysaMe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takajoaki
    Twitter:
    Open_SaysaMe
    Funny thing, I was never a great fanboy when it comes to my oshis or my faves. I usually say (and that is really how it happened) that my oshis were "oshi at first sight". My oshi is Akicha, and then I oshiadded Haachan, and until this very date, I never felt like oshihenning. Anyhow, I never ever felt like fanboying over them (I feel as sad for them not being in Senbatsu as I feel for any other of my fave members, as well as I feel happy for them being in a unit I like like any other of my fave members), but they're the members I really care the most, the favoritest of the favorites, hence my oshis.

Yeah I think this would hurt the girls more than if you actually never said anything about it. Would the girl even notice if you oshihenned? It would just be one fan... But then there's that case of Noro Kayo, as @kurisu said the fan would write her a lot - if he stopped writing suddenly she would feel something happened, so in that case it was good of him to say something regarding the case.

I don't even understand why all the fuss about HS, why can't you be lined in a different booth just because it's not your oshi? If I ever go, of course I would first go to Akicha and Haachan's booth, but then I would like to meet the other members I like, it wouldn't necessarily mean I oshihenned....

20. kurisu

kurisu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ghaidafarisya
    Regarding this, I think the member implied that she lost the fan completely, as in he wasn't even coming to her HS line any more, and if he had oshihen to someone who's booth was on the other side of the hall / stadium / place, she probably wouldn't have ever known he was there at the HS event.

In fairness to the fan though, Akimoto Manatsu is meant to be something like NGZ46's Yukirin or Furuhata Nao, a natural fisher.