1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Movie / DVD Our Lies and Truth: Documentary of Keyakizaka46 (2020)

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 News & Releases' started by keyak, Aug 19, 2020.

1. keyak

keyak Upcoming Girls

Since the release date is less than a few weeks away, I thought it'd be appropriate to create this thread so that we'd have a central place to discuss the documentary movie once it's out. Pre-discussion has already taken place in the General thread but feel free to start adding your thoughts on the trailer as well as your predictions & hopes for the movie in this thread. :)

『Our Lies and Truth: Documentary of Keyakizaka46』
    『Bokutachi no Uso to Shinjitsu: Documentary of Keyakizaka46』
    『僕たちの嘘と真実: Documentary of 欅坂46』

[​IMG]
    Theme Song: Dare ga Sono Kane wo Narasu no ka? (the last single)

Links:
    Official Website
    Official Twitter

Film Credits:
    Director: Eiki Takahashi
    Editor: Junichi Ito
    Planning: Yasushi Akimoto
    Production: Seed & Flower, Toho, Y&N Brothers, NHK Enterprise
    Distribution: Toho Co., Ltd. (東宝)

Trailers
    Original Trailer released on 2/26/20 (01:51)

if the video does not show watch the video here

New Trailer released on 10/10/20 (1:57)

(subbed trailer, courtesy of WTS)

Original Announcement:
    On February 26rd, Keyakizaka46 announced their first documentary film, ""Boku tachi no Uso to Shinjitsu - Documentary of Keyakizaka46" with a set release date of April 3, 2020. The documentary would cover the idol group's start of formation in August 2015, debut in April 2016, first appearance in Kouhaku, Tokyo Dome concert, and other major events that occurred up to center Hirate Yurina's withdrawal in 2020.

The film will feature behind-the-scene footages of concerts and rehearsals as well as interviews with members and staff.

Source

Postponement Announcement:
    Due to ongoing COVID-19 pandemic concerns, the Documentary of Keyakizaka46 release date was postponed to September 4th, 2020.

It was revealed that the screening time increased to 136 min with the addition of content from the last six months, including the group's Online Live that took place in July. The number of screening theaters also increased from 60 to 100 (see the complete list here). The film will be shown in all 47 prefectures.

Official Poster:
    [​IMG]

Media Coverage and Articles:
    https://taishu.jp/articles/-/73042?page=1
    https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18717092/
    https://mdpr.jp/cinema/detail/2178431
    https://natalie.mu/music/news/391408
    https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/391382
    https://www.cinematoday.jp/news/N0117893
    https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2169198/
    https://www.fashion-press.net/news/63476

Member Interviews:
    - "What's In" Interview with 6 1ki members (trans cred: WTS)
    - Weekly The Television with Risa and Pon & TV Life with 1ki (trans cred: WTS)
    - Entertainment OVO Interview with Koike and Aoi (trans cred: toomuchidea)
    - Cinema Today: Yuuka's Solo Interview on Documentary (trans cred: toomuchidea)
    - JAPAN COUNTDOWN Interview Promotion for the Documentary [Translation.] (trans cred: toomuchidea)
    - Translated member blog posts regarding documentary (cred: toomuchidea)
    - Modelpress Interview with Koike, Risa, Yuuka, Pon, Akane, and Aoi (cred: WTS)
    - Modelpress Interview with Pon, Yuuka, and Risa [Translation] (cred: toomuchidea)
    - FLASH Interview with Risa and Yuuka (note: contain spoilers!!!) (cred: WTS)

Ticketing:

Tickets went on sale on Friday, August 14th.
    Price is 1500 yen. Sold on theater counters.
    Each ticket will come with a special member photo (66 total photos available).
    Info: https://www.toho.co.jp/theater/ve/keyakizaka46/

Pre-Screening Movie Reviews / Comments (all trans creds to @toomuchidea):
    (Note: POSSIBLE SPOILERS. Proceed with caution!!!)

- By Asahi Shimbun reporter
    - By Tetsuya Honda - (famous author of Strawberry Night series)
    - By CinemaReview
    - By Teruyuki Tsuchida (Keyakitte MC)
    - By Yahoo! News
    - By Inudo Isshin (award winning movie director)

Photo Gallery:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. keyak

keyak Upcoming Girls

Reserved for documentary post-release info (e.g. photos, news articles, and interviews).

3. keyak

keyak Upcoming Girls

New TV CM for Documentary of Keyakizaka46

--

Documentary theater goodies were released
    [​IMG]

--

The day prior to the official release (09.03.2020), Keyakizaka46 members will hold a screening event with Director Eiki Takahashi.

Source

4. keyak

keyak Upcoming Girls

D-1 till release :fear:

Just how many versions of the CM are they gonna release... here's the 15s ver:

Yesterday marked the opening of the Gallery of Keyakizaka46 @ 10th fl of Shibuya PARCO Rooftop, which runs from 09.02 to 09.19.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    source

PARCO exhibition announcement video

--

Pamplet info for docu
    [​IMG]
    cred: Shuukan Keyaki

--

Newly released preview cuts
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

--

Updated the original post with links to new interviews about the docu and movie reviews (ty to @toomuchidea).

--

Are you guys excited yet?!

Well, perhaps you shouldn't be because the wise Hirate had some interesting things to say about the documentary in her ROJ interview released last month.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    trans and image cred to toomuchidea on twitter

.. I knew the title of the docu was too good to be true. :fp: So I guess, as usual, take everything with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

So does that mean Techi thinks the documentary will portray her negatively?

6. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

No. She's just saying, even with the title & all, not everything is shown. There was a lot that happened to them than what is being shown. It's not a surprise. We already knew it is like that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. keyak

keyak Upcoming Girls

She said she wants to protect the staff and Aki-P from possible fan backlash so I'm guessing the docu will portray the company as "supporting" Hirate's center reign, which ultimately led to her demise (in the group context).

Techi's the protagonist of the film. No way they would intentionally portray her as a villain but her actions (shown in the film) can be misconstrued (i.e. she was a quitter & didn't care about the group even though everyone supported her when truthfully she was just plain overworked and overburdened). Since she didn't talk in the film, there's no way for her to defend or explain herself though.

8. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

Knowing Techi, she might have refused to be interviewsed. Also as the protagonist, it's understandable why she won't be interviewed and stuff but there is no doubt that she is the center of attention in the documentary.

Techi is being careful here. She can't allow mgmt take blame. She has to soften her words, to make people go into this docu with a free mind. But again her words are heavy and it is seen she still portrays mngmt as the guilty one here.

Once again, this is Techi speaking. She herself might b biased here so it's better to just go see the docu without judging. After watching, different perspectives can be given then.

EDIT: Annnnd there it is lol
    https://twitter.com/toomuchidea/status/1301433204172234753?s=19

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DelicateEmpress

DelicateEmpress Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    I'm not surprised by any bit that Techi didn't want to be interviewed, I'd expected this since they announce the doc. She herself didn't say "I wasn't able to say" but "I didn't say anything" which suggested the initiative from her side. The doc (revealing backstage stories and all of that) kinda goes against her work ethics since the very beginning. Techi's always wanted to be perceived through her works while she sees little use showing the more private stories since they may deviate people from the original intention of the work. If there's one thing I know about Techi, then she has never went against her words. Even in that ROJ interview, she didn't defend business decisions from S&F, she was defending her personal manager, staffs who are people that work closely with the girls and didn't make any decisions (with the exception of Aki-P). After the first trailer some people already started to attack staffs but they are people who truly aren't allowed to say anything.

From the same link that Iamyoung put up there:
    "As for the title "Our lies and truth" He doesn't think of it in the meaning of "exposing" something. Personally he think that it suggest the relationship between fiction and documentary. Not everything that is filmed in documentary is true. People are aware when a camera is pointed at them, and they may instinctively act out as "themselves. On the other hand, they may be playing a "role" at the performance on stage, but because of that their personal emotions could come out. He think the only way to decide what is "true" about this film is for the viewer to decide in their own mind."

Again, there's one thing that we must remember, the doc is not everything that has happened, it's some "glass bottle fragments scattered over time" as Takahiro-sensei put it

10. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    I think there were many ways to tell Keyaki story, good ways, perhaps not so sensational like this Docu will end to be, but definitely more interesting to develop and watch.
    From the spoilers I read this feel more like a Techi story, which would have been great to have in 10 years or so, and very little a Keyaki story, which for me, it's just another disservice mngmnt did towards Keyaki, members and fans.
    It doesn't surprise me Techi take on it, nor the fast justification the director gave.

11. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

I am more worried for Techi now and I feel so sorry for the group as a whole. What were the superiors thinking? How could they not see what was happening right in front of them? One member was struggling mentally and they still were pushing her? It's no lie now that the members depended on one amother to survive this. My anger towards mgmt just doubled.

12. turbogig

turbogig Member

Oshimen:
    Habu Mizuho
    So I read some spoilers from the Documentary. I cannot gurantee this is 100% true, but...
    '10 Gatsu no puuru ni tobikonda' was the single.
    They started shooting the MV in July (with Techi). Something went wrong, people are talking about senbatsu-related stuff.
    Then they did a re-shoot of the MV in October (without Techi). Some drama ensued.
    It turns out my earlier analysis was mostly right. I can't help but make a shameless self-bump, sorry. April 30th post from the 9th Single thread.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Looking at how things unfolded, I'm glad they didn't use 10Gatsu as single and put it on the album.
    It may end to be a beautiful song, but right now to me still feel like a beautiful song worth of B-side.
    Dare Kane always felt way stronger of both 10Gatsu and Sajin
    This said, Keyaki always had incredible B-sides so...

Honestly, I don't want Techi be pitied or worried about to now. I don't want see people that until yesterday blamed her for every single thing crying fake tears today for poor Techi... and I have the feeling, like @DelicateEmpress said up here, Techi herself didn't want to share those moments with us. She went away in February (right?) and mngmnt is still here adding pressure and making her the focus of something that should be just Keyaki.
    What a mess.
    (Of course I'm speaking in general, it may seems I'm talking about you, but no, I'm not.)

14. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

@Dill Are people blaming Techi? Bcos from what I see, she is being supported.

I read the spoilers and my conclusion is that the girl was seriously having some psychological issues. I mean, to switch off & on, losing voices, crying a lot to the point of collapse. And mgmt still couldn't see this bit continued to push her.

With that said too, I think she came to believe she was carrying keyaki while the others believed they were backup dancers. It could be the reason why she could leave and refuse some things without notice.

As much as she is faulted, she also caused some problems. We can't deny that. We have to accept some things too.

Like the girls said, we will see it in so many ways but we can't blame or not blame anyone. Every one was wrong and wronged, including us fans.

15. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    For some reason this didn't appear on my notif... I meant people who never lost a chance to blame Techi and now are all sorry for her. I "spoke" with one or two who still pointed their fingers, but nothing major.
    On the other hand I read from traslators on twitter that trailers comment section are full of people who are gonna support Keyaki even more, so, that's positive

16. rdamon42

rdamon42 Member

Oshimen:
    渡邉 理佐 / 守屋麗奈
    Twitter:
    rdamon42
    So is there any chance international fans get to see this doc? So far I haven't heard anything.

They must have looked at the Live Online! But with You and seen how much the international fans supported it, yes? I understand that the Japanese wotas are the priority here, but I would have liked at least an option so stream it, even behind a pay wall of sorts (they did it for Zaiko)

Anyhoo, reading reviews and spoilers and Twitter make me want to see it more. Crossing my fingers.

17. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

It's amazing how for once fans are seeing through the eyes of the other members instead of only Techi. I see we as fans, especially Techi Oshis are to be blamed too for her status now cos they wanted the best from her. Members, including Techi said they 'see it in the eyes of the fans'. This somehow made them think they aren't good enough and we can testify too how some Techi Oshis always compare them to her or complain how they aren't good as Techi whenever any one of them centers a song.

I am grateful that at least, the members work are appreciated now that they have seen some truth

18. DelicateEmpress

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Best shot for international fans is that they release the doc on Netflix (or other streaming services) after screening period at cinema or if they release DVD/Bluray later (usually a year from release date). I’m curious too but we need to be patient (not like we have other choices really).

@Iamyoung If I honestly think someone’s performance is good, I‘ll praise them. But I do have my preference too just like how various people have expressed how they’d like whatever song much better with another center. I wonder if it is not comparison and pressure anymore if I continue to keep my opinions privately like I usually do? Will it help if others do it too (keeping their opinions for themselves)? It’d be very nice if I could erase my memory of all previous performances and just watch a stage as it’s own, only then can there be an objective view. What do you think are some practical ways that fans can lower the pressure we put on members?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

It's normal to compare but when we compare, it is just when the two comparable things are of the same quality. What I meant was, judging from what is from the docu spoilers, Koike centering Futari saison was a huge trouble for her cos she knew she had to center like Hirate hence people will hate it. Then Takahiro said she should do it her way & not like Techi. We all know how some compared & said it wasn't as good as Techi's. Thing is, it was good as Koike's butist if us didn't see that. Same with the others. It will help if when judging a performance, we judge it according to the person's way & not another's. It seems they saw/heard a lot of what us fans say after any of them centers cos that also added to them losing the confidence in themselves. It's all I am saying. We can praise. We can criticize but let's do so while looking at it in the present person's position & not another's. Let's learn also from all this.

P.S. When I say Techi's fan I don't mean all of them. There are some Techi fans who are fondly called 'Techi cults' in the Fandom. They know themselves. They are the ones who won't see anything other than Hirate. Those are the ones I was talking about. Hope you didn't get me wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DelicateEmpress

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    I totally get what you mean. Sadly, the toxic ones tend to be the most vocal. Fortunately, members themselves have learned their lesson that rather than trying to match or replicate Techi, they should only compare to their previous versions. I hope fans could learn this too after watching the doc. A review that I really like said that other than the pain and pressure that Techi and members have to endure, the doc is also about how members have changed to get where they are now. The same members who were really dependent on Techi, thinking how they couldn't perform without her now realized they could show their version too. The change sparked from when Miichan did Sezon solo dance and then 2nd annila where members are forced to put on center roles. It was a needed push to show members they are also capable.

• Like Like x 1