1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Produce 101 Japan

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Idol Emporium' started by welp, Apr 11, 2019.

1. welp

welp Next Girls

Korean media reported that Mnet, in collaboration with Yoshimoto Kogyo, will launch Produce 101 Japan.
    Applicant must be male aged 16-30 years old (not sure if this is Korean or universal age).
    The show will premiere in the second half of 2019 and the boy group will debut in 2020.
    https://twitter.com/OH_mes2/status/1116215751231164416
    https://twitter.com/mnet101boys/status/1116221171442208770

I didn't know Yoshimoto was that interested in Produce 48 project.

Seeing how bland Akimoto's Last Idol had been, I thought it might be good if Akimoto collab with Mnet to revamp the Last Idol format but, here it is.

Application teaser

if the video does not show watch the video here

official website
    https://produce101.jp/entry/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. nuclearsoda

nuclearsoda Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    i'm waiting for how JE moves with this, JE do JE things

3. irontech

irontech Next Girls

Some YT videos announcing this project.

If I interpret it correctly, 11 individuals will be chosen for the debut next year. (pls correct me if I'm wrong)

Any nationality can participate.

From IZ*ONE

Credits to the uploader of the above videos

4. welp

welp Next Girls

More infos
    The show producer will not be Ahn Joonyoung, who produced Produce 48 and Produce 101 S2, as he has been caught up with Produce X 101 yet, PD Ahn will lend his hand to this show.
    Rules of the competition and the vote will be altered.
    The host (national producer representation) will be the duo Ninety Nine.
    The application has been opened today and will end at the end of May.
    Foreigners living in Japan may apply.
    The applicant must not be bound with any agency.
    They will be 2 preliminary rounds in June and July to cut down the applicants to 101 persons.
    The training camp will start in August.

5. Boma Adhi

Boma Adhi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    松井珠理奈、小田えりな、茂木忍、瀧野由美子、森保まどか
    Saw the announcement on my twitter timeline, at first I didn't really care..

Then, I saw the host. I literally LOLed in my office..

With those Ninety nine duo, laughter is ensured even in the most serious part of the show.. LOL

So, are you sure the finalist will be a KPOP male idol group instead of an owarai group? Also, Yoshimoto label sounds a bit off for me.. Haha..

6. Meltrandi

Meltrandi Kenkyuusei

I hope Produce Japan will be like China's Produce shows: Less drama and evil-editing.

And I have a feeling this group will focus on the Jnetz Kpop fans.

7. shining445

shining445 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    jonishikei
    Foreigners in Japan can apply, and applicants cannot be from an agency??

Wow. Interesting. Lol Let's see how this will go!
    (I wonder what will happen if later on there's a girls version? lol)

8. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    More 99 (longer boys version), with a greeting from IZ * ONE

9. welp

welp Next Girls

That may dampen the show. If you watched any Korean season of the show, they were funny parts but the main tone of the show was dramatic and that's how it got popular, drama drama and drama. The role of the host is more of warm senior to contestants rather than comedian to viewers. And, it sounds like Mnet's staff will be the one editing the show.

We have no idea how K-pop the group will be but, a requirement is that the applicant must be able to go oversea during the training. Possibly, the training camp will be in Korea. Besides, Stone Music, the music agency relating to Mnet to which IZ*One belongs, will involve in managing the group.

I remember Kimberly (aka Chen Fangyu) did not look so favorable in that show. There were also many dramatic edits.

10. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
  11. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

I am following Produce101 Japan quite a bit and it is interesting that regardless whether you are on JPop or KPop side of the fence, when discussing about Produce101 Japan, they focus more on CJ E&M not on Yoshimoto. Yoshimoto is important aspect too since for Produce series to be imported internationally, there must be local TV station or company that interested to produce the show and manage the group from the show (sort of like how Pop idol, The X Factor and The Voice spread throughout the world) and it looks like Yoshimoto interested with Produce series.

Based on what I know:
    1. Yoshimoto like we know popular as the company that produce comedian. Nevertheless, we also know that they had used 48Group franchise to produce idol. Just like they use 48Group franchise to produce female idol of their own, NMB48, maybe they want to use Produce franchise to produce male idol of their own.
    2. NMB48 is under Yoshimoto branch which is Showtitle. Showtitle houses artist which is not comedian. If you see the rule and regulation of Produce101 Japan website you will see the clauses that stated the information given will be given to 2 parties. One is CJ EM and another one is……. yes, Showtitle. I predicted that the final group will be put under Showtitle.
    3. Japanese company quite insular but Yoshimoto actually have international outlook. They have international branch which produce group such as Sweat16! in Thailand and Shojo Complex in Indonesia. Some of them had auditioned as international branch to be part of Yoshimotozaka46. For the Indonesian, you know the Cowcow duos which popular with “Senam yang iya iyalah”? Yes, they are from Yoshimoto.
    4. This is the article about Yoshimoto expansion internationally. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/04/24/tv/yoshimoto-seeks-laughs-and-profit-beyond-japan/
    5. Interesting to note also there is term “global” in Produce101 Japan website.
    6. Do you know that Yoshimoto had invested in Iflix quite recently? Is Produce101 Japan will be broadcasted in Iflix for international audience? Is this the major reason why ProduceX101 also being broadcasted internationally? Maybe, maybe not. https://variety.com/2019/biz/asia/asia-streaming-video-iflix-yoshimoto-kogyo-investment-1203182902/
    7. If you read the above article, you come across with MCIP Holdings. The name also comes out in Produce 101 Japan as one of the company that will manage the final group.
    8. The choice of Ninety-nine duo is quite odd for Produce series but it turned out that they used to host the popular Japanese talent variety show, Asayan which discovered popular artist in Japan such as Morning Musume. Even there are articles that talk about Produce 101 Japan as “Reiwa era Asayan”.

As what happening currently, they had used the hashtags #国民総スカウト. It is sort of scout program where you recommend someone to join the show. Some are trying to recommended Honda Hitomi brother.

There is claim that former Project Taro members will joined but there are no confirmation.

There is this one guy which confirmed that he will be joining and he is quite popular. His name is Nishino Ryuta. I think he is Avex trainee.

I always wonder what kind of song that they will choose as first mission song. Is it purely KPop song in Japanese and neglected Johnny’s idols song altogether? If that is the case it is quite a bummer because Johnny’s idol is the major figure in shaping the history of male idol in Japan.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

This thread is pretty much inactive. Anyway, I will write what I know based on what I read on internet.

1. This recent article is really interesting since it shows that Yoshimoto is actually on the process to diversify and internationalized their business. Hence the partnership with CJ E&M is not that weird. It can be considered part of Yoshimoto agenda.
      https://www.japantimes.co.jp/cultur...yoshimoto-kogyos-hiroshi-osaki-expands-realm/

2. Based on that article, Yoshimoto, under Laugh & Peace_Mother had established Laugh & Peace Entertainment School Okinawa. You can check this website. It offers wide range of course which expand beyond comedy.
      https://laughandpeace.org/en

3. Apparently, there are one male group which used to be under Yoshimoto by the name L.A.F.U. I don’t know what happen to this group but some of them still under Yoshimoto and one member audition for Yoshimotozaka46.

4. If the Google translate is right, the application had closed and the candidate will face two stage of examination. The first stage will be on in the middle of the June and the second one will be in the middle of July. Hence, maybe Produce101Japan will be aired around September.

5. It looks like Produce101Japan twitter had followed bunch of people. Some of them are campus beauty pageant contestants. One thing that I feel weird is that majority of them not endorsed that they are joining Produce101Japan. On the other hand, Produce101Japan twitter not following the one that endorsed that they are applying. I suspect that most of the accounts Produce101Japan twitter follows are the one that being recommended based on the scout system that they endorsed.

6. One particular applicant that caught my attention is former Qing Chun You Ni contestant named BoYuan. He is the member of CPop group, Zero-G. He covered a lot of JPop song. It seems like he is LDH fan. He even sing digimon theme song in his introductory video. Sadly, he not being called for the first stage of examination but it is kind understandable.

7. Just an additional information, other member of Zero-G, RenHao become the final member of Produce Camp (The male version of Produce101 China) by the name of R1SE including one JYP trainees, YaoChen.

8. R1SE will sing the promotional song for "Men in Black: International" in China. Guess, who the one that sing the promotional song for "Men in Black: International" in Japan? Yoshimotozaka46. That is mumbo jumbo connection there.

9. There are concern that due to the response is not that good, the number of applicants will be low (since the number of the applicant must be more than 101) but, if the google translate is correct I think people are mad in twitter since they are not being call for the first stage examination. Hence, I think they get enough applicants.

10. In conclusion, when Yoshimoto decide to cooperate with CJ E&M, they are not starting from zero. There are base that they had established. Their agenda is pretty much well known if you know where to find information. It is not yesterday they are the company that produce comedian, tomorrow they decided to cooperate with CJ E&M to create Produce101Japan. With the issues of applicants not being call for the first stage examination, I am started to think that Yoshimoto have their own candidates and I am not that surprised if the final 101 trainees they choose are connected to Yoshimoto somehow. If that happened, it will anger a lot of people.

11. Note 1: I have that tiny hope that one particular Yoshimotozaka46 member named Tetsuji Sakakibara to join and if he became the final member, he can have kennin. Although he is not the best dancer, he looks so good at the center of the dance. Unfortunately, I think the possibility is slim to none.

12. Note 2: Among the one that produce Produce Camp theme song is a Japanese by the name of Nakamura Daisuke. AFAIK, the reception is quite good. I hope they can fetch him although we may argue that the relationship between MNet and Tencent regarding with Produce series is not that good.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Odd_Cinderella

Odd_Cinderella Next Girls

Oshimen:
    เฌอปราง อารีย์กุล
    You know, I was hoping this would have been female so that JYP's Japanese Project, NIZI could participate, but, I guess I was wrong, lol.

14. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

Since they only accept the applicant which don't belong to any agencies. There are high possibility that the group will be permanent (not "til death do us part" permanent). Moreover I am not sure about the degree of willingness of the Japanese companies to manage temporary group or to allow their artist to be "borrowed" by other companies.

15. Odd_Cinderella

Odd_Cinderella Next Girls

Oshimen:
    เฌอปราง อารีย์กุล
    Right, right. I did read what you said and sorry for misunderstanding. :^^;:

16. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

• Like Like x 2
  17. welp

welp Next Girls

In fact, it will be cost efficient to film in Korea. Imagine how much it will cost to facilitate 101 persons. Yoshimoto also can borrow many tools/props from Mnet. It may even use many Mnet's employees to film this show. Besides, is there even the location where 101 persons can live and practice in 1 place in Japan?

I just noticed they were 5 salty souls disliking this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

Maybe. Anyway the rumour and picture are pouring in. So, it might be true that they are in the middle of filming in Korea. This is the three person that might be the trainers for PD101 Japan

a) Sayaka Yasukura - Vocal trainer of Suzuki Airi, former Hello! Project member. There are many information about her in internet. In her twitter she stated that she was in Korea for Japanese-Korean joint project. Being seen with A-Non (Yoshimotozaka46 member) there.

b) A-Non (Yoshimotozaka46 membes) - Might be she will be the dance trainer. Stated in her twitter that she was just come back from Korea.

c) Sugai Hidenori - Vocal trainer for Hello! Project. At first the information about he might be the trainer of Produce101Japanese is quite vague since it is stated in his website that he have business meeting or something from 7/8 to 19/8 until this picture come out

That looks like him.

He used to be singing instructor for Morning Musume audition. Before he is being evil edited to death. This is the video to compare.

19. welp

welp Next Girls

Hello Pro's voice trainer? Yoshimoto has a good relationship with that agency, huh? Likely, they wanted a tough trainer similar to Bae Yoonjeong.

I remember listening to Suzuki Airi's song and not impressed by her voice. So, I doubt how capable her voice trainer is.

At minimum, they have to be 2 voice trainers and 2 dance trainers. So, it must be more trainer(s).

It was announced the filming would start in August and now it has been August already.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

If you go to his website, he also listed as involve in ASAYAN. He also involve in AKB48 draft audition. So, he is well known in idol audition scene.

(You can spot Erii and Bibian in this video)

You can search her name in internet (Roman or Kanji). The information about her job as vocal trainer is quite vast.

Yes, everything is according to plan.

Registration - May
    1st interview - Jun
    2nd interview - July
    Filming - August
    1st episode - Might be around September

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019