1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Rant & Rave

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by hanabi, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Spoony Rice

Spoony Rice Member

Oshimen:
    込山榛香
    Twitter:
    Spoony_Rice
    Rant: Finished my drivers Ed online course way less than 30 hours and have to keep the tab running to take the final test, I ate some spicy ramen and now my stomach hurts, and the current US government

Rave: I have 60$, and those water making candies

2. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant: last session of the day, and the woman decides at the moment of care, to realize she doesn't have my only method of payment. After four texts and a phone call, and two emails. Then throws a tantrum when I refuse service for lack of payment.

I am heavily, heavily discounted compared to other types of massage therapy and bodyworkers here... part of that is my very low overhead. If you can't read my emails (or can't organize them properly), I can't see expecting some other response than 'sorry, I can't work on you'. :rolleyes:

Rave: We're probably going to trade in our well-worn '05 Civic sedan tomorrow, for a new 2017 Civic hatch. Turbo motor is super-easy (if not cheap) to mod -- the wife is used to fast cars (her past cars were a '96 Mustang GT, '02 WRX wagon, & a K20-swapped '04 Civic :inlove:). Tons of room for new plants and stuff for my deck in time for in-laws coming in August; and she'll now not have to worry about her ride crumpling like a pack of cigarettes in a small offset crash. :whistle:

3. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rave: Wife loves the new Civic, though (she says) it takes a bit of driving to get used to. Babe, you drove a *stock* '05 sedan (with one of the most milquetoast, unreliable engines ever in a Honda); 12 years newer is gonna feel different... :blink:[hehe]

It's brand-new, so neither of us can romp on it until >1500 miles. But it's easily double the acceleration (with 2 people onboard) you get vs. a 140K-mi D17A2 manual Civic. She's no stranger to tuned or turbocharged cars, so this turbo setup is definitely for mpg rather than power. But I thought it drove like it weighs 500 lbs, feels really light (esp compared to my '12 Accord sedan)...

Rant: I still don't understand why Honda insists on offering like, 3 paint colors on base models (two, really). I know it saves them a bunch of overhead per vehicle, but can we have colors other than black and charcoal gray on non-SUVs? They offer a cool bluish gray (Sonic Gray, our choice) plus a pretty Aegean Blue and Rallye Red on the Civic Hatch, which is only made in the UK -- all of them have to be imported here, so high-overhead -- why not for other Hondas? My choices for the '17 Accord, are silver, charcoal gray, and black. Period. :rolleyes:

And I see why people here go to the mainland to buy cars -- the dealer here tried to soak us on this deal, until the wife mentioned her firm underwrites a lot of the risks on the property -- a walk around would find any number of violations. Don't mess with someone with visual ASD, buddy... we tend to remember what we see. Oh wow -- suddenly $3K under sticker, amazing (we did give him MSRP to cover his profit, but that was another $800 the dealer was going to make had we not pressed them). :glare:

4. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant: Colds. My wife has a nasty one... we're both lacking sleep. I'm pounding all the cures I know work to keep from getting it (salt water gargles... zinc... turmeric... watermelon, which is packed with C... purple cabbage for C, B1, and probiotic gut health... and have acyclovir for the last-ditch nuclear option), so far so good. If I can make it past 7 days I can finally relax... but it'll be hard with the lack of sleep from her cough, poor baby...

Rave: The neighbor on the end of the block with the loved Element... named a price today for me. It was, shall we say... effing *awesome*. I should have no problem affording it, nor the mods I'll be making (to the tune of almost $4K under budget, as long as the boss approves the transaction)...

Rant: I've been trying for months to get my pharmacy to sync two medications -- and for some reason something they should have no problem doing, has been repeatedly stepping on its d**k, every month since the beginning of the year. What's the malfunction here? Sheezus...

Rave: my little LG 1000W, 300 ft² portable A/C. Bought it on sale on the Walmart website of all places, for $190 ($350 retl). It's not silent, it's not light, it's not the most feature-packed... but it's stood up to the heat and humidity here without breaking a sweat. I know a lot of LG stuff is garbage (their washers are 10-ft-pole products)... but this little droid-looking appliance is kicking some arse at the reliability game.

Rant: Honda's weirdness. Noticed that my friend's Element had its coolant almost coming out the top of the overflow bottle after a run, dribbles on the frame marking where it'd spilled over. Remembered my old Civic had a strange way of using both cooling fans whenever the A/C was on, regardless if the engine was hot. If off, just that cooling fan came on. This is opposite to how most cars do it (one fan on for overheat, one fan on for A/C only). So you never knew when your cooling fan was broken, because the other fan was on. Checked his Element fan and sure enough, it was busted. Another part to order...

5. Yukitie

Yukitie Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Twitter:
    katiechan48
    Rant: I legit cannot catch an articuno or lugia in Pokémon GO. At all.
    I need raid buddies... but no. Last day of the event for them... and I have failed. FAILED. ¬¬ ¬¬ ¬¬

6. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant: Just got the go ahead for work on Mom's old TL... damage? $2900... whoof. :fp:

Will I get my money back for it? Acura, check. All problems dealt with new Honda parts, check. Low miles, good interior, minor paint & bodywork, check.

Absolutely... but it's pay first. :whistle:

Rave: The Mooch is out as WH Commo Director. Bwaaahahahahah... what a stuffed-shirtstorm of bumbling clowns this "administration" is. :XD:

7. Spoony Rice

Spoony Rice Member

Oshimen:
    込山榛香
    Twitter:
    Spoony_Rice
    Ancient Greek society had people living up to their 80s and then we reached a low a couple centuries after with people living barely to their 30s. Humans are great at one point(art, ideas, Renaissance) and stupid at another point(Salem witch trial, racial slavery, no hygiene). It feels like we're going on the downward again just observing others behaviors and what is put in front of us. It's best to hope that everyone gets their sh*t together and we can be better in the future.

8. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant: today was a good lesson in the value of being able to change with the flow of reality, of constantly reminding yourself to not focus too much on any one thing, at the cost of the big picture...

It's been a rather dry couple of weeks for work, and lack of work always makes me nervous, as years past have seen savings being depleted while I scrambled to get income. That weight, unchecked, tends to influence my worldview if I'm not paying attention -- am a lot more aware of it vs. a decade ago but it still sneaks in and leg-sweeps me now and then; this was one of those times...

I was gloomy about a slow week -- esp with recent added expenses rapidly piling up -- so was attached to that, despite the blessing of getting the Element for pretty much $.40 on the dollar and a small victory for both parties with my mom's Acura and the shop working on it. Came time to schedule a client... when I realized it was someone who'd cancelled on me twice... this is a huge pet peeve of mine. I then managed to keep my tone civil but also let them know I didn't approve of this treatment (in my rights, but not a great idea when your income is based on word-of-mouth). They scheduled for today, and after I'd hung up was :fp: of my pride getting in the way of business. I mean, stand up for yourself... but also, choose your fights wisely.

I'd resolved to be less judgemental of this client, but also wondered if I'd damaged the relationship. Turns out, the client had brought her husband, who badly needed my work to fix a sore back. It was a great session, if a bit longer than normal to get his issues sorted. Everyone left happy, and would schedule again next week. After they said their thank-yous and goodbyes... I began to tidy up... and let out a huge sigh of relief. Things could've veered towards the ditch but luckily, I was able to recover, not helped by my past actions.

So my rant is... I let pride and blinders from a few bad situations color my worldview, and it nearly cost me a client. I can't afford to lose clients on stupid shirt like that... and maybe next time, I won't be so lucky. He has his wife and superhero companion... his new car, his wife's new car, and his mother's needs taken care of. He has hundreds of loyal clients who're now able to enjoy life free of chronic pain. He has his health, and his medical needs taken care of indefinitely. Stormy should be super-friggin' grateful, this time just happened to not be *the* time, to really buy the farm. :whistle::glare:

Rave: in related news... since there was no work today but the afternoon client... managed to get a lot of prep stuff for the Acura done, as well as figure out what tools I'll need. Acuras are made pretty much how Honda made all Hondas prior to the year 2001, which means all the premium engineering features that were sucked out of the Civic in that year, like double-wishbone FWD suspension. Pricey... but it's also much, much better performing than struts. Apparently another thing that Acuras like this one offer, are just better access to everything -- bigger car = more room to wrench. Was shocked at how easy it was to change belts vs. on my old '05 Civic and the wife's old '04 (stock, at least). All the hoses and stuff are seconds vs. minutes to replace.

The Element should be even nicer re: interior room, and it's also quite easy to get to everything. The wife's new Civic seems cramped, but then I don't expect to be working on that very much. You have to pay for it... but I like working on Acuras. Even the RSX (which I had to borrow a subframe from to mount and direct-bolt-in my K20 drivetrain into my Civic) seems easier, even though they share a platform. Like it... next car may be a used TL (lots more cargo / interior room than my Accord). :hehe:

9. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant: 45 -- or Presidon't Furor Führer, the Cinnamon Hitler, Donald Duck-Responsibility. Grow the fuck up...

Rave: everyone who's actively resisting his and his White Male Sociopath Party from undermining the sacrifices for the foundations of decency, equality, and social progress, many valiant American military lives were smeared violently from the earth to defend. Actively resisting a force that imprisoned and executed millions of people in genocide... and the noisome, stunted souls that today twist other's values against them to suit their repugnant ideologies, so they can supposedly continue what Hitler failed to accomplish...

No, 45 -- not on our watch. :hmm:

[​IMG]

10. TheFamily

TheFamily Kenkyuusei

if the video does not show watch the video here

Kpop fans behavior. We never have problem when western and Japanese artists visiting Indonesia, this is always happen with Kpop artist.

By the way, should I mention the comment section? And they wonder why people says Kpop fans are toxic and racist.

11. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    Rave: I'm a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest and it looks like there are plans for an Asian version: https://eurovisionasia.tv/

Rant: OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD :mad: https://eurovisionasia.tv/music-in-asia/

12. ET920

ET920 Member

I guess it's because Kpop artists are much more massive than Jpop ones :awesome.

Pretty good description of what idol music is, and they didn't even mentioned the perverted old fans that follow them :3

13. DivineIdolMayu

DivineIdolMayu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    mutuotomu
    Rant,
    (Language warning) My parents used profanity at me because we were packing up to go home from our trip. I brought my bag downstairs only that it was very loud. His only response was to me was "PICK UP THE GODDAMN BAG!!!!" That quote made me upset and I'm shaking from it because my parents wouldn't normally use this language at me but trying to mellow out.

14. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ I find this rather apologist, in the most polite of terms... but at least accurate.

I don't believe the GOPs who voted Trump in were all racists or white supremacists, and it's rather thick to believe they would be... but I do believe a great number of them were so pitifully, petulantly opposed to the quite rapid progress of American civil right issues for factions of the US pop other than white male heterosexuals... that they felt voting for someone opposed to it would make everything better, the 'give him a chance' argument. This is typical of the kind of floppy, obstructionist gaslighting these same people, now seeing 8 mos of the burning garbage freight train of Trump's robe-clothed tromp through the office the POTUS, give as "reasons" for why he shouldn't be immediately impeached before 2018, or 2020 for that matter. Whether you're portrayed in the media as an experienced and polished senator, or a wiry, foulmouthed, good-ol'-boy redneck... both may be shades of the hue of true white supe... but all condone it in the pesonnel choices and decisions of this administration.

The matter is not what they are in particular. The matter is what they are actively supporting, as constituents of the party that is aiding and abetting this clown car administration. You cannot deny the injuries a rabid dog inflicts, if you are one of the people who pays for someone to beat it senseless everyday.

If you're not against Trump... in this circumstance, in these times... you are implicitly endorsing every one of the horrifying and inhumane edicts his signature and those of his party, have regressed from the Obama era. I don't have to list those out since January. The DACA repeal is just the latest and most senseless and ignorant examples of the kind of obstructionist, petulant, tone-deaf, racist rhetoric, that if you're apologizing for his actions, YOU are endorsing.

I honestly hope this isn't the case, and it's not true. If so... well you know my stance on it.

15. DivineIdolMayu

DivineIdolMayu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    mutuotomu
    Rant: Whistling like birds to songs I like severely bothers me but it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. I have this issue where I work in which there's this elderly coworker of mine who always seems to whistle very loudly and high-pitched whenever a song pops up on the speaker. If it happens to be a song I like, I get frustrated and embarrassed. (I am both autistic and misophonic.) I try to treat the frustration by playing on my phone the same songs that were whistled at. When I feel like sharing that issue to others, most people seem to not care as if it doesn't bother them.

16. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ time to go to HR, then. If you're diagnosed, then the workplace has an obligation to at least try to accommodate your condition.

If you get pushback or apathy... time to contact advocacy groups for autism that can get you resources to fight it. -- fellow aspie :approve:

17. Nieru

Nieru Kenkyuusei

I hate people whistling as well, it's often painful to the ears and uglily out of tune. Not very good manners either.

18. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant/Rave: Japan Edition...

Raves:
    -- being able to easily buy high quality, GMO-less, dodgy-additive-less food for an entire week's meals, on a konbi-store clerk's salary.
    -- the safety and promptness of their rail network
    -- Kei-class cars and trucks
    -- low crime, esp with firearms (compared to here even, near-non-existent)
    -- a country that gives a damn about service, esp food service
    -- 48G ;)

Rants:
    -- all of the above qualities I used to think were pretty reliable there, are ALL beginning to erode
    -- gov't procrastination on tackling the serious issue of low birth rate + increasing gaijin populace and influence
    -- the still appalling lack of representation for LGBTQIA and women's rights in the workplace, everywhere but Tokyo-fu
    -- AKS :glare:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  19. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Rant: new governor of Jakarta is fucking racist. In his speech during his inauguration, he was affirming native Indonesian supremacy. Ironically, he's not even native Indonesian but of Arab descent. Off course I guess during his term, he's gonna issue policy that will prejudice ethnic Chinese. A young politician who is also of Arab descent compares him to trump and le pen.

20. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Rant/Rave, Random Edition:

Rants:
    • Kobe Steel
    • People who pull out into your lane at the last millisecond, to putt along slower than you were going
    • My local grocery store stocking two (2) kinds of 4g-fat/svg frozen yogurt, and 10^40 kinds of 23g-fat/svg ice cream, gelato, and B&Js
    • Amazon shipping to HI (Prime is juuuust barely worth the cost)
    • Honda acc'y belt pulleys
    • Honda dealers
    • Honda airbags
    • Honda building cars so good now, I *have* to want all these things anyway
    • Toyota unable to build a car I want to be seen in, since 2003
    • Tourists driving in much faster cars, but refuse to countenance having no clue where the fuck they're going, so settle on driving like drunk toddlers that cut you off when you try to pass
    • Not being fluent in Japanese, neither speaking nor reading

Raves:
    • Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    • Ellen
    • Stephen Fry
    • Gene Roddenberry
    • Leonard Nimoy
    • George Takei
    • Kaku Michio
    • JK Rowling
    • Phil Plait
    • Being able to take advantage of people's douchebaggery, by pulling into an adjacent lane behind a guy dawdling in the left lane going under the speed limit... knowing he'll speed up to spite you, but also allow you both to go faster, which is you wanted anyway
    • hummus
    • Ren and Stimpy
    • JDM idols
    • JDM cuisine
    • JDM Kei vans (Honda NBox N/)
    • SD versions of anime chars
    • Ian McKellen
    • My wife, my best friend and sex partner and live-in financial/legal consultant and fellow Japanophile
    • vaccines
    • Thich Nhat Hanh
    • portable air conditioners
    • NGT48 No Niigata Friend!
    • Shumi Baka
    • Evangelion franchise and Anno Hideaki / GAINAX
    • Madhouse & Hosoda Mamoru
    • NisiOisin
    • Mindhunter
    • a thread I can rant and rave in at 3am

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017