1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Shiraishi Mai (Maiyan) / 1st Gen

Discussion in 'Nogizaka46 Graduated Members' started by kimunlimited, Feb 19, 2012.

1. baymon

baymon Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
  2. cryspower

cryspower Future Girls

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    looks like it. maybe Ikuchan realized she shouldn't have wrote that ...?
    Edit:
    I managed to take a scrshot (deleted)

edit: looks like its back up. so i'll delete the screenshot.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. baymon

baymon Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    Not sure what was the issue earlier on, but glad that it's back up. Thanks Ikuchan! So Maiyan will stay around until May which means more than likely she will center her grad single. I want to see her on stage as much as possible before it ends.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chubo

Chubo Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Twitter:
    chubo_chan
    But her activities will stop on March right? Just like how Nanase before stopped her activities in January and had her grad concert on February.

5. baymon

baymon Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    That could be the case. Nothing is certain right now, guess we can only wait for official announcement.

6. KingCrimson

KingCrimson Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Ikoma Rina, Saito Asuka
    Argh... my heart. The graduations never get any easier to take. In fact, they ever only get harder.

Shiraishi Mai was one of the foundations upon which Nogizaka was laid. I don't think it would be wrong to say that after the Ikoma era ended, Nogizaka was fashioned in Maiyan's image--cool, sparkling, and elegant. But more than carrying the image of the group, I will always remember her for embodying its spirit. It's a little different than Ikoma, who I've called the heart of the group in the past, and Nishino, who I would consider more like the soul--something softer, more delicate and vulnerable but bursting with potential and growth. For me, Maiyan she represented the sheer indomitable will that simply would not lose to anyone. Her aura is undeniable. I've always thought that she was the most competitive of the members. In last year's NogiChuu New Year's special, she got annoyed that she couldn't pull properly in the tug of war game because of her socks. Also, in the 4-way tug of war, here was one of the oldest members of the group--whose stature some might say would put her above such simple variety games--fighting so hard that she could barely breathe afterwards, as if her life depended on it. She never does things in half-measures, and takes nothing for granted. It's the kind of spirit that infuses itself into a group and inspires them to fight like hell. @nogijinja nailed it in calling Shiraishi someone who other members would aspire towards. Even Nishino--the group's other leading ace whose profile is no less impressive--said as much during her NogiChuu grad episodes.

Even in a group filled with wonderful people, I think Shiraishi is exceptional. Her presence made Nogizaka's rise inevitable and unstoppable.

And she did it while also being one of the biggest, most lovable dorks around. I'm going to miss her so much.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JuriRena

JuriRena Next Girls

Oshimen:
    生田絵梨花・桜井玲香
  8. Gofindnova

Gofindnova Future Girls

Shitara: I’ve been on the regular TV program for Nogizaka since their debut. Well, there’s a thought of “Shiraishi has finally graduated?” but undoubtedly she’s a member who pulled the group forward as a central figure, so it’s a little lonely, but, well, from now on I’d like to look forward to her solo activities.

Announcer guy: Nogizaka’s Shiraishi-san has graduated.
    Chiharu: That’s right.
    A: 1st gen. Saito-san is also 1st gen?
    C: Yes, I’m 1st gen.
    A: So same gen?
    C: Yes, same gen.
    A: What kind of person was she?
    C: Towards work, she was incredibly stoic. Towards members, she was incredibly kind, cheerful, truly a person who was also wonderful inside.
    A: Oh, so the same as Saito-san?
    C: Not at all, really!
    A: Not at all?
    C: Not that much...[laughter]
    A: What are your thoughts? Same-gen members have been graduating one by one, Saito-san included.
    C: Ah, it’s lonely, it makes me think it’s a time period to consider the future, after all.
    A: Is that so, yes, Saito-san chose the path of TV Asahi.
    [The rest is TV Asahi people asking about Nogi in general]

Mai-chan pronounced in a cute or childish way sounds like Mai-yan.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Beowulf

Beowulf Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Sugai Yuuka / Kosaka Nao
    All this time I thought it might have been a reference to Saiyan.

10. BarneyInvisible

BarneyInvisible Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shirashimai
    Ikuta mentioned May, it means that will be Maiyan graduation concert?
    because the official said March 25th will be her last.

11. Chubo

Chubo Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Twitter:
    chubo_chan
  12. Gofindnova

Gofindnova Future Girls

Ikuta's post is a bit odd. She doesn't explain any schedule, she just ends a sentence by saying she wants to support and stick by Maiyan until May. We can only guess, but grad concert is probable.

(If it was an unintended leak, at least it was Ikuta. She seems like the most difficult member to punish now lol)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. cryspower

cryspower Future Girls

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    March 25th is the release of the last singles which she will be in. also that singles may include activities such as hand shake events , tv shows, etc which she could be joining. that's why it is said as "25thシングルの活動をもちまして、乃木坂46から卒業することになりました。" . so yeah, without an official date, anything is still possible as some activities such as performing for tv shows could happen even before Mar 25th. with Ikuchan possibly leaking it, it could be possible also that management could milk some promotional events and national handshakes before officially letting her go in May.

14. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Thanks, but I'm actually wanting to find out the meaning of "Shiraishi Mai" as the full name, not just the "Maiyan" nickname... [hehe]

Also, where was the bottom image from?

15. silver247

silver247 Kenkyuusei

It's from twitter.

16. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Actually, the one that says "2020"

17. silver247

silver247 Kenkyuusei

Sorry for my mistake and I can't find the source of image after all.

18. mb1619

mb1619 Kenkyuusei

:(:(:(

I didn't check any nogizaka stuff for a few days and this happens :fp: Im so sad my kami oshi is going, the member that got me interested in nogi as a group in the first place.

As everyone else has said it's been a long time coming but no less painful.

Continue to support nogizaka46 and maiyan in her solo activities!!!

19. Gofindnova

Gofindnova Future Girls

Shiraishi 白石 means “white stone”
    Mai 麻衣 means “linen robe”

If you want to dig into Japanese names…
    Japanese kanji constantly shift pronunciations depending on context. In addition, the pronunciations for names are often different than the pronunciations for vocabulary.

So if you want to say “white stone” in conversation, you would actually say “shiroi ishi” 白い石. Whereas if you said “shiraishi,” people would recognize that as a name, because that pronunciation isn’t used except for names.

Because kanji pronunciations are flexible – especially for names – there are probably like a hundred ways to spell “Mai.” Shinuchi’s Mai is 眞衣, which literally means “truth clothing.” Parents can choose a name they like the sound of, and then select the kanji they prefer. Although names do have common kanji spellings, so you’ll get made fun of if your parents chose strange kanji.

To get more granular,
    Shira 白 white + Ishi 石 stone
    Ma 麻 hemp, flax + I 衣 clothes, dress

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. iainus

iainus Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Sakaki Miyu
    I think the thing about Maiyan is that she's got everything you'd want in an idol - she's not only elegant and beautiful, but she's that beauty goes all the way to her core - she's funny, kind, hard-working, humble. . . for all the praise she's been given she doesn't really have an ego about it. She's just an incredibly authentic, lovely human being.

She isn't merely the face of the group, she embodies Nogizaka.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3