1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Should AKB48 spread internationally? Yes or No. Choose sides

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by RTBandGeek4ever, Feb 22, 2011.

1. TomoChiyuu

TomoChiyuu Kenkyuusei

Re: Should AKB48 spread internationally? Yes or No. Choose s

I can't agree more

Just like i said in the TWN48 Thread "AKB48 should just be a Japan thing"

2. JAKKfromAKB48

JAKKfromAKB48 Kenkyuusei

Well Jonas Brothers are deffinatley not as apopular as they used to be and have been loosing popularity for sometime, if Wonder Girls wanna make it they should tour with someone really popular with girls aged 9-14 like Katy Perry or Ke$ha or Justin Beiber.

3. sayayumina

sayayumina Kenkyuusei

Personally I think AKB48 should spread internationally. This is because I'm a fan from Australia so it's hard for me to get news and if they spread internationally it would be better. They would get more recognition therefore creating a BIGGER reputation they have in Japan :^O^:

4. doraemon423

doraemon423 Kenkyuusei

Well they're already kind of doing it now, with all the overseas shops and even a theatre and cafe here in Singapore. But IDK, they might not end up like Wonder Girls because they have MUCH MUCH MUCH more members=more resources. So they'll be less likely to be tired out. For a smaller group like Wonder Girls, spreading internationally is like a double-edged sword. They'll increase their popularity in another country but their popularity in their own country will most likely go down. But for AKB, they can split their members up between two countries, then switch every once in a while. But for WG it's not even a double-edged sword. It's bringing their entire popularity down, considering that they're not very famous in the US as well.

5. hanachan01

hanachan01 Kenkyuusei

I don't want AKB48 to spread internationally, at least in term of the West. I think that they would not fit in with Western culture at all. I don't know about other Asian countries though, since I don't live there. I think expanding into South Korea would be a bad idea since there are already too many girl groups debuting there every year, but I don't know if a Korean version of AKB48 would work.

I'd love to see them come to more anime conventions and such though. I wasn't a huge fan when they were in my area last, so I didn't go. Now that I love them, I'd like a to see them without having to pay for expensive plane tickets to Japan. I think the anime conventions accept them better anyways, since those people are already familiar with Japanese culture.

6. MinamiLoveR

MinamiLoveR Kenkyuusei

Agree'd with Peoples above...

Japanese has a different culture from others countries...
    Idols only fits in Japan , no other place.

7. Kuroya48

Kuroya48 Kenkyuusei

Though I agree that idols belong in Japan, but I'd really like for them to go on international tours, to allow us international fans who could not go to japan to watch them. Well now they are doing one in singapore but I hope they would do that in more countries.

So I want akb48 to spread internationally but in a way that they are still japan-based but they are known internationally :)

8. Person012345

Person012345 Kenkyuusei

This. They need to come visit the UK.

9. doraemon423

doraemon423 Kenkyuusei

Who says that idols belong in Japan? Korean has many idol groups too :/

10. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Kenkyuusei

Idols always belonged to Japan ,like i said Idols only fits in Japan...
    If you say SNSD,Big Bang,Tohoshinki,ShinEEEE,KARA are Idols you are very wrong

Idols are media personalities in their teens and early twenties who are considered particularly handsome or cute

Idols are in the mass media,magazine for a long time in Japan , but in Korea? fews years....

11. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Yes, I agree with you. Japanese idols are supposed to be cute, lovely, friendly ... perfect. And they try to be as youthful as possible (sometimes even childish). Korean, chinese ... 'idols' don't want to be 'the perfect neighbour', they are very similar to the western ones and mostly want to be sexy and seem mature to attract fans in a sexual way (just like some japanese groups like SDN48 do)...

12. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu

Yes, especially in the Philippines, they need to perform here I'm getting sick of K-Pop here.

And in my opinion idols don't belong to Japan it simply originated there. Its like saying Toyota should only be for Japanese. I like the AKB concept let's keep it at that while performing Internationally and don't do spin-off groups, AKB is more than enough. Its like the Beatles when they perform in Japan they didn't do Japanese songs they just sing there english songs and the Japanese love them it should also be vice-versa. Stop paying attention to Images/looks how about trying there songs a bit more serious its what separate them from other Idols like Ogura Yuko. Their looks won't last but there songs will.

It might just be the answer to Japans economic crisis.

13. Justin2453

Justin2453 Kenkyuusei

No, I don't think it would work.. Although, you can look at Super Junior.. China went ahead and made Sjm, which is now, pretty successful..

If AKB48 were to try it, I don't think it would be the same.. Its very hard to imitate such an amazing thing..

14. Kinaa

Kinaa Kenkyuusei

They are expanding into some places now like a franchise. In other words other countries copying the AKB48 formula.

The franchise groups will no doubt create music to suit the local tastes and culture which will make them different from the Japanese groups. I don't see how a Taiwanese group for example could replace the original or be as popular. They would be seen as shadow AKB48, but the real thing is in Japan.

A franchise group in Indonesia would be quite a bit different to Japan given the cultural religious differences.

The franchise groups would probably work for a new generation. But for current AKB48 supporters it would be impossible to replace.

AKB48 is so popular because it is uniquely Japanese in every respect and can only be that way if entirely Japanese in people and management and direction. There can be only one AKB48.

Having said that the formula will work in other places I guess and have some moderate success.

I think it would have been better to develop enough local Japanese talent to expand to a more regular presence in other countries, and maybe rotating groups of members. The idea being that the expansion overseas will always be with Japanese singers to retain that uniqueness.