1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single [SINGLE] Ohori Megumi - Amai Kokansetsu (10/15)

Discussion in 'Subunit/Solo News & Discussion' started by kaito, Aug 17, 2008.

1. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

I think these girls genuinely wanted to support her (at least the Team K ones...) But bringing in Mariko and Acchan at the last minute just for the hell of it sounds a little bit like a last resort. I find it funny, somehow :D

Poor Meetan... But you know, selling 10000 copies of a single when you're a newcomer is very difficult...

2. frblckstr1

frblckstr1 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    I see it like some of the girls showing up for te the PV making, they want to support her so they go.

You can hug a lot of poeple in 8 hours... This close I sure hope she makes it to the 10.000 mark.

3. Kira

Kira Kenkyuusei

let's just hope for a miracle

4. nnathann

nnathann Kenkyuusei

If she does make 10,000 it would be great, but there are a few things that come to mind that makes me think that she won't be as happy as I thought she would be in the start if she had made the target. When she first heard of her solo debut and picked 10,000 instead of 5,000 and said in her blog something like if you like the single then buy it. This altogether made me think that she wants to do her best of her own ability to promote her single and she has shown that, through akibingo and i think a interview on tv and other things; however having things like a hug events and then having another one with other members there it's much appreiated but I don't know. If I was in Ohori Megumi's shoes I maybe wouldn't of felt that this is the best route to the goal considering (i think) she has always wanted a solo debut. I don't mean to offend anyone, I could be completely wrong and say that thats how to the idol world works or considering its her first solo single she needs as much promotion has possible and if that means having a hug event then thats what you have to do plus she hasn't got 100% control on how the single is promoted. What does everyone else think?

5. TimeBomb

TimeBomb Kenkyuusei

Sure I hope she's going to make it, but this is becoming more and more bizarre, not to say ridiculous, embarrassing or even humiliating now. I know, in the ends it's just the sales that count, but somewhere here all human pride and dignity is gone. I just hurts to watch that/her. The "whore" costume, the near naked tour through the country, the embarrassing perfs on public places, the definitely vulgar "uterus" poster, the forced physical contact... She must cry a lot during dark lonely nights. Worst of all, she's willing to sell herself not coz she wants to, but because the "systems" expects it from her, and she's smart enough to know that. Play or lose, terribly cruel. It was kind of funny in the beginning, but from now on I consider the "Meetan Saga" as the darkest chapter in AKB history. Shame on Akimoto, that's not the proper way to treat his precious idols. It was a business man's decision to squeeze out money from her unavoidable graduation; it is an amoral man's decision to disgrace her so bluntly in public. On the positive side, she's got a solo single under her belt now. But honestly, what's a single worth today? Pretty much nothing in terms of show business. Even minor JAV stars do have singles (though these probably never made it into Oricon).

6. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    That made me literally laugh out loud. How true.

I think Ohori wants to stay. She's just unsure of how much her fanbase cares for her. In the most recent blog entry Hana translated, she wrote about how she hoped her fans would support her, and didn't even bring up graduating. I'm hoping that she sold enough singles.

7. tokaikko

tokaikko Kenkyuusei

I'm hoping that she hit the mark, too.

I hadn't really looked at it that way before. I always just dismiss everything as being stuff Meetan wants to do because that's her overtly sexual personality. But none of us know the real Meetan. It makes me wonder, now.

Well, I like her, anyway, so I'm hoping everything works out for her. <3

8. Kira

Kira Kenkyuusei

i think all of the member in akb including crew maybe will sad hear bad new from ohori, but can we see a miracle happen to ohori. ohori always show her sexual personality in tv show.

but just like tokaikko_x no one now the real meetan, but i thing she is a nice girl

9. doink-chan

doink-chan Kenkyuusei

Before, I thought that the publicity from the hug events would help sales but it seems that the idea turned off more people than attracted them. From what I read, it was mostly the same Meetan wotas going to these events and to the other promotional events. Perhaps the presence of other AKB48 members at the final event will help pull off a miracle, but I kind of doubt that (though I hope she hits the mark or at least a number close to it).

I'm hoping that if she does graduate, she can continue in the entertainment industry in some way, perhaps as a tarento on the variety show circuit, or go back to gravure modeling.

Anyway, even though she probably failed, it was a gutsy move on her part to suggest selling 10,000 copies. I think Meetan handled the promotions better than I would have, at any rate. She may have felt embarrassed about singing a song called "Sweet Hip Joints" with a hip x-ray on the cover and wearing a skimpy costume while hugging people, but I would likely have felt even more embarrassed XD

10. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

:lol: I wouldn't have done it it all! yeah, she's a very gutsy person and proved that she was willing to stand up to the challenge. I find this whole PR thing to be a bit degrading though, but maybe we're overlooking the fact that in Japan some of these things can be viewed in a different light, I mean, I think the purpose of doing the tours and concerts in AKBINGO was to make everyone laugh, and also to have people empathize with her and say "Oh, she works so hard, let's buy her a CD, poor thing"

At least that's what I think... I hope she reached the mark so that they'll leave her alone, it'd be sad to see her go through so much to fail by a close margin

11. doink-chan

doink-chan Kenkyuusei

Some Japanese people also objected to the PR, particularly the hug events. There was that article in Cyzo that compared the hug events to prostitution (and many of the people who commented on mixi about that article agreed, or at least felt it was over the top), there were people on 2ch who thought hug events were gross, and a 1-star review of Meetan's single on amazon.co.jp basically disagreed with the means of PR.

I think the intent of the various AKBINGO features on Meetan was to make people sympathize with her so that they would be encouraged to buy her CD. They started off with this exaggerated sob story where, among other things, they said that joining AKB48 was her first experience being an idol, when this was not the case (she had done gravure modeling before joining) and presented her as being underappreciated. I think that a lot of what was on AKBINGO might also have been exaggerated or planned intentionally by the staff in order to make people feel sorry for her, cheer her on, and buy a bunch of CDs.
    (I don't think that everything on AKBINGO was bogus or that Meetan hasn't felt at least a little stress from it, though...)

12. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

I won't go about questioning the "sympathy tactic" to promote sales...but are hugs really THAT taboo in Japan? I'd have imagined conventions to have loosened up a bit with regard to the hug...but I suppose I could be very much wrong on that one...:confused:

13. doink-chan

doink-chan Kenkyuusei

I think it wasn't so much that it was hugs as it was the idea of "wotas having to buy the CD to get hugged by Meetan in a skimpy costume".

14. Shumatsu Samurai

Shumatsu Samurai Kenkyuusei

About five years ago, I was the tutor for a japanese girl that came over here as an exchange student. We organized a birthday party for her and she was hugged a lot. Later she told me that it was really strange for her and that she usually doesn't even have this kind of contact with her parents. She stressed that the japanese people prefer distance. I asked the teacher about it and got a similar reply.
    I'd say younger people nowadays are not as strict but when you go there, you'll probably (depending on where you're coming from) notice some differences.
    And in this case it was her friends - the hug events were for strangers. Sure, she most likely knew a few of them, but only as fans / supporters and only from other events like handshaking or 2-shots or from their letters.
    Add to that the costume and the assembly line-like processing - I can easily see how she probably hated it.

15. TripleT

TripleT Kenkyuusei

How's the result?
    Today is the last day, right?

16. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    At the Team K concert tonight, there was no announcement from her.

But, she looked very happy. She thanked the fans a lot for participating in the event, so......I assume she made it

17. TripleT

TripleT Kenkyuusei

eh, really? 2800 in 4 days? wow, Acchan (and Mariko and others) 8O

18. Hana

Hana Kenkyuusei

In her blog, she said there won't be an official announcement until AKBingo on the 26th.

19. kaito

kaito Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

You took the words out of my mouth.

20. doink-chan

doink-chan Kenkyuusei

Dang, I can't wait that long~

but if Meetan looked happy at the Team K concert, I take that as being a good sign.