1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'General Nogizaka46 Discussion' started by ひめか, Apr 17, 2019.

1. NyanNyan's Pet

NyanNyan's Pet Next Girls

Oh I have another unpopular opinion:

I did say Taiyou Knock is the best summer A-side. But still, Girls rule is the most iconic Nogizaka song. If I need to pick one song to describe Nogizaka46: Girls rule. It's the equivalent of AKB's Heavy Rotation.
    Yup, totally agree...

2. bscale

bscale Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    I agree with Mukai annoying but at least she looks like try hard person which is maybe colorful in variety. But I am annoyed by her the most in the group.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bscale

bscale Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    For me Zambi is a well made series and more polish writing than Bemars. I addicted to it more than Bemars.
    I think Bemars is a mess and over the top writing but it shows member character very well. I watched it because of Nanase only but for Zambi every characters are interesting to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gofindnova

Gofindnova Future Girls

I agree we don’t need to see an idol’s “true self” in the sense that we shouldn’t be prying into their personal lives or sensitive topics.

The idea that fans don’t care about idol’s true selves is simply wrong though. Authenticity is the one of the most precious commodities you can manufacture, which is why Japanese TV goes to great lengths to set up pranks, artificial drama (pain is “real,” tears are “real”) or recruit young girls who are theoretically fresh and innocent and still developing their authentic selves. It’s one of the biggest appeals of idols. I’m sure some fans are only here for the music or pretty faces, but for people heavily invested in Nogi (the big spenders), what they are selling is a parasocial relationship. And you can’t have a meaningful relationship with someone you don’t believe you know. Obviously you can never fully know a person on camera, but there are degrees of closeness.

All performers have personas. I don’t care whether an idol has a persona, I care how they have a persona, how comfortable it is, how extreme. It’s easy to rationalize that they’re just actors, but the role they’re playing is “Me” in a reality TV show called “Every time a fan sees me,” which with hidden cameras, tabloids, and everyone who recognizes them in public, threatens to be 24 hours a day. And people care – whether Mr. Rogers was ever bad, or Louis C.K. is a perv, or Taylor Swift is privately racist. These celebrities are all playing characters named “Me,” but if you think when fans shake Taylor Swift’s hand, they believe they're touching Taylor Swift the “character” and not Taylor Swift the “person,” you don’t understand human nature. I’m not saying it’s impossible to differentiate an idol from her personas, I’m saying the line is blurred. Are you telling me that if hard proof came out that Nogi’s members privately disliked each other, it wouldn't affect their “characters”? It’s human nature to want to understand and relate to other people. The idol industry understands that, which is why they sell identity. They’re fascinated with digging into who an idol “truly” is, with hidden cameras, behind the scenes, interviewing parents, pushing idols to their limits to be genuine, while at the same time teaching idols that you always need to smile, always need to entertain, you can’t show dark parts of yourself.

It’s possible to be in “entertainment mode” and completely “genuine” at the same time. There are people who are the same when the cameras stop. But if you can’t reconcile selling your “self” with selling your “soul,” then being a performer will hurt you. I’ve listened to tons of interviews with Western celebrities. The overwhelming consensus is that being famous is messed up, it will mess you up if you’re not very careful, and successful child actors are at most risk of being messed up. You might argue it’s unavoidable as a structural problem of show business and human nature, but the difference is that people (within Hollywood at least) know about it, talk about it, and encourage others to find support. Managing a show biz persona properly is hard, you need clear boundaries, self-knowledge, and a degree of detachment. These girls are chosen for their appeal precisely because they’re not mature yet.

If your persona clashes with your true self, you will suffer. Emotional labor is real, and has real costs. To young idols, this is their whole world. When they obsess over hairstyles, they’re not lying. Part of the reason Hinako took a break from Nogi is that she became depressed. The character she created was too cheerful for her to keep up. In Koujichuu #45 about lessons learned after 5 years, Ikuta advised members who were "full of lies" to "let it go" and "be yourself." This is the healthiest way to perform. But as Bananaman pointed out, you have to be the right type of person to still be entertaining. If your private self is boring and you can’t turn “on” properly, then you shouldn’t be a performer. Idols themselves say in interviews that modern idols’ “images” can’t stray too far from their selves, because cameras and social media are everywhere now, and fans will say they’re “lying.” Which doesn’t make sense if you believe idols should only be idols on TV.

Asuka, I hope, is pointing the way to a broader range of acceptable idol behavior. She refuses to pander (“fake”) to fans when she can get away with it. In her 7 Rules documentary, she hated letting people know what books she reads, but she couldn’t articulate why. It kind of hurt to see her unable to figure it out. But by her Another Sky episode, she’s realized that she hides her interests because she wants to avoid the pressure of public expectations. I hope she can get to the point where she’s totally confident saying no to interviewers. Healthy people have strong boundaries, and it’s doubly important for public figures to have a private core to protect.

For more “fun” unpopular opinions,
    -Ikuta’s a good singer, but she’s not Broadway level. Obviously her award disagrees.
    -Shiraishi seems shallow. She’s got no hobbies!
    -Reika is an awesome captain precisely because it doesn’t suit her personality. But both she and management regret her being appointed captain, because it doesn’t suit her personality and because she’s not that popular, respectively.
    -Maaya should be way more popular.
    -I hope Shinuchi stays in Nogizaka into her 30s and becomes a legend.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hazehazy

hazehazy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yoda Yuki
    W center only because they want to protect Momoko, their preferred push. Her position in the front row also haven't changed much/no progress, they only put her there because she's popular and they seem to have no intention to push her further. Have she centered any 3rd gen songs? No. I also don't think magazine appearances have much to do with management, early appearances maybe, but not so much after more than a year after being an idol. As for the fans part, just look at SteCola and cantankerous' posts, just as examples. Also, she was the only one in the Zambi drama whose acting wasn't atrocious, though it was a bit exaggerated. And of course nobody acknowledged this.

6. eternalord

eternalord Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Kubo Shiori
    Bemars was made to be over the top. It's silly, because it's supposed to be silly. And as you said, it involved every member, every character was given at least one mini story arc, no matter how ridiculous. Which is in my opinion what an idol drama should be. Take a look at Hiragana's Re:mind.
    Zambi was made to be serious and scary. But it failed at every single turn. Unbelievable script, plot inconsistencies, ridiculous character dumbness (TSTL), and in relation to my point above which is also its greatest sin, underutilized Nogi members.

7. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    Re: Mukai Hazuki. I am surprised many people seem to think she is annoying. Her character is one of the reasons she is my 3rd gen oshi. I love it, I think it's funny, cute and I think she adds color to whatever she is participating in. With the right outfit and hairdo, I also think she is one of the beauties of the 3rd gen. Too bad she cut her hair recently, because of that she lost a bit of her visual appeal for me.

Finally, someone who noticed this as well. I didn't really want to bring it up before as to not offend anyone, but I suspect this as well. Her lips are more pouty and there is something with her eyes as well. Of course, there could me other reasons for this than botox, but cosmetic surgery was the first thing I thought of. Whatever the reason, as you said, she looked better before. It is one of the reasons I passed on her PB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NyanNyan's Pet

I really like Mukai before, I have a thing about funny variety girls. But it's too much now. I swear I thought Shitara wants to kick the ball back to Mukai when she suddenly threw it towards Himura during their recent 'least athletic' episode. I'm like she's out of control. In Okinawa when they were evading a butterfly, her action is like asking for attention. During the water buffalo quiz, she's at it again overacting.

But I actually don't blame her. They were taught to do these "nice reaction" to stand out in variety. I just feel she's trying too hard and too much.

About Sayu. I just notice recently she always look tired, her face looks groggy. Her eyes, it's always been like that, right? It's uneven. Idk, I need to take a closer look at her.
    Younger Sayu is definitely a cuttie. But as you grow older changes in your facial feature is normal so I didn't really suspect anything.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Conjyak

Conjyak Member

One thing I forgot to add is just to give Nanase credit regarding Higuchi. Higuchi gave her valentines gift to Nanase on one of the early (2014) valentine's episodes on Nogidoko. After that, I think there've been many times when Nanase has mentioned and complimented Higuchi at random times. Even as recently as when she and Maiyan were on Oshareism, when asked about someone in show business she likes (or something like that), Nanase mentioned Higuchi and said how she has that, "Adult-like aura to her despite being one of the youngest gen 1," or something like that. So, regarding Higuchi, Nanase has definitely given back. But the fact that she couldn't give back to her in a big, visible, and straightforward way on Nogidoko/Nogichuu (or she did and I've forgotten) and instead gives back in these sort of long-winded and non-straightforward ways I think is further evidence that it's because she's shy.

But the stuff I mentioned before still stands. The little stuff doesn't matter as much, but "failing to make" Yoda a protege and, of course, failing to give closure IMO to the Manatsu thing until the 22nd single campaign (when she finally clearly said that it was thanks to Manatsu's personality that they could make up back then) still stand for me. One more thing to add to that is, why is it Manatsu saying, "Welcome back" to Nanase in the 22nd single MV? The protagonist of the "Welcome back" gesture thing shouldn't be Nanase, it should be Manatsu. So that's another moment showing management's weird interpretation of this thing lol that makes it more about Nanase than Manatsu.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Conjyak

Conjyak Member

Yeah, it's true that likability and some aspects of an entertainer's private life is a part of their public persona, whether idols in Japan or the most mainstream U.S. Hollywood personalities. That's why I said that an entertainer's on-camera personality isn't a "lie," it's just a hyped up version of some part of their true personality. I think we probably agree with each other in general. My point was just that we don't need to see the members' real true selves. All we need is their "true self for the camera" version of themselves, the part of their private personality they're willing to share with the cameras that they don't usually share on Nogichuu and other major appearances.

I basically think Asuka is (still) in a sort of chunibyo rebellious phase. It's fine to not want to share some aspects of your private life. But it's how you decide not to share it. Her style to me has been to say, "No, haha!" when asked about these things. I have a feeling if she gets over her chunibyo rebelliousness or whatever it is, she'll start to just give an answer to those kinds of questions that are a decent middle ground between not appearing too immature and saying "No, haha!" to everything, and not just giving up and answering things she doesn't want to. Which is to say... just say a book she likes that she doesn't mind revealing, but don't say the books that she likes that she doesn't want to say. In other words, a safe, bland response (something one might expect Maiyan to answer, lol) is fine lol. The books that Asuka or Maiyan says they read in their private time isn't going to determine the fate of Nogizaka. A boring response is fine for little silly interview questions like that IMO.

Ikuchan is an exception lol. She can be herself and it'll still be entertaining for the cameras. But, I still think that's actually her natural ability to just show "her true self for the camera" version to the cameras, not her "real true self." I'm sure in her "real true self," she has gotten angry or pissy at things or not felt like talking or smiling sometimes like any human being, but we pretty much never see that on camera. Not to mention probably practicing for hours on the piano or her musicals - we don't need to see that lol.

I think I pretty much agree with all of your "fun" unpopular opinions.
    I don't know if I'd say Maiyan is "shallow," but rather I think she's actually a "simple" person. Not book smart, not dumb, likes having fun, and likes being chill and relaxed with other members. I think the last point has been invaluable for Nogi. When your top dog queen is chill and relaxed back stage, I think that keeps everyone in the group also chill and relaxed for the most part. If your top dog queen is high strung and neurotic or feisty and dgaf, I think that can mess up the chemistry and also allow stuff like factions, being mean, and worst of all bullying to start to exist. My unpopular opinion here is that Ikoma I think is quite high strung and feisty. She also takes the generation thing too seriously I think and considers her junior generations really as her juniors, instead of relaxing that aspect and being able to chill with them as just another member of the team. If Ikoma was the top dog queen back stage, I don't think Nogi's great chemistry would have been possible.
    In the same way as Maiyan, I think Reika being captain has been invaluable, for the same reason that her being chill and relaxed with members has created that backstage chemistry that makes things like the success of Nogisatsu possible. She might not be good with the easy-to-pick-on stuff like being late and seemingly not on top of logistical things, but I think she must have been super good at the actually really important stuff for a captain, which is group chemistry and morale. (Logistical stuff, after all, can be handled and backed up by the managers.)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. NyanNyan's Pet

This valentine episodes is my favorite. It's funny but seeing Higuchi cry somehow broke my heart :hehe:
    I mean how can she be this serious. This is variety, it's all fun. She prepared a lot for Nanase. I realize this girl is really sweet and have a kind/honest heart.
    I want Nanase to somehow console her. Did she try but holding back? When they were going back to their seats, there's this awkwardness I see in Nanase. To be fair with her, it's likely even other members would react the same way. Though Sakurai really hugged Waka so tight while apologizing. Other time Junna tapped Asuka on the head while saying sorry. So yeah, I do get Nanase's shy personality. She's not clingy.
    Oh, Nanase returned the favor to Reika on the following Valentine episode.
    There's one more thing I notice. Poppipapa PV: inside the elevator there's Maimai, Misa, Maiyan - little chit-chat, look up, laugh, smile. Then there's Nanase at time looking at the other side.

It's management's b.s. way of selling this story.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Conjyak

Conjyak Member

She kinda walked closer to her and gave a sad, consoling face to her, but she was blocked by the front row of seats because Higuchi already return to her seat that was in the second row while other girls were consoling Higuchi. So, yeah, she wanted to console her, but she was too shy to really make it direct and obvious.

There are also probably some other moments I've missed, like in the Nogiroom letters that Nanase has likely responded and given back to members' love (I've never really watched the Nogiroom letters).

13. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    I don't like when people try too hard in variety and it can be very annoying when their personalities are too strong. This was the worst part about Ikoma for me, not her face.

But I forgive Hazuki for it. She's this girl who is overwhelmed due to not feeling like she belongs in her favourite idol group (a lot of girls were fans before joining but I'd be surprised if Hazuki wasn't the biggest of them). So she's trying too hard. She gets rewarded and complemented when she overacts so she's doing that to compensate for what she feels is a falling down in the looks department.

But I think she's really pretty. A little extra meat, but still a looker with great singing skill. And also I love her enthusiastic dancing. I hope she learns some day that she can do well by being normal. And that journey of growth is one of the best parts about following idols. Best example is Momoko, imo.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  14. paradisekiss

paradisekiss Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    As cute as they are 3rd and 4th gen will never ever live up to 1st and 2nd gens. 1st gen especially. There’s something kind of stale about these new generations? They’ll never replicate that atmosphere of early Nogi and although that’s a given considering it’s only natural it’s just sad that we’re losing that. They have a very competitive atmosphere going on instead. Also 3rd gen variety still bores me even my own oshis. They have no Manatsu or Kaz. No eccentric screeching Ikoma or an interesting S chara like Nanamin & Asuka. It’s dull really. Which is bad considering they’re the future of Nogi as 1st & 2nd gen graduate one after another. I also don’t get the new found Momoko hype. Never did never will. She bores me and she still doesn’t have that Nogi visual charm for me.

Zukki as of late has began to irk me. I ignored her calculative actions and over the top fishing due to her looks. But now I don’t know she’s kind of worn of me? She’s not model gorgeous in my opinion. She’s just pretty. I hope Yoda centres a single before her. The 3rd gen excitement really has left me and I’m only truly excited for Yoda and Umezawa’s next move.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

After series of incitement, guess it's time to sort out my niche before its fade away, again

Less likeable member: kinda hard for scrutinize thing only by single label, "hate". The term is way too general to simplify and almost everyone in nogi has quality that i admire or adore even for some that just fell on fine or neutral/i dont really care much category. The rest just matter of different agreement regard their position or current status which has nothing to do with the person herself and i can separated that rationally.
    So far the one and only that fell on this category is just Sayunyan. Now i wonder why she's the one that so skip able, why im kinda disappointed when realized it's not her that will graduate soon. There could be some internal and external cause playing factor. Physically, she has cute face, obviously, but I had experienced for encounter few girls that have the same exact contour of face and all of them turn kinda have annoying personality. guess that has thing to do why there such impression. Other thing is I dont really fond the way she was speaking. for instance, i just dont has much patience to sync with her tempo and the rest of her antic. But the fact she was finely getting along with the rest of members did left some positivity. Thing still more like mixed feeling. unfortunately for her.

Song: only like 10-20 percent of it is legit of "you need to waste time for". The rest just futile capitalist product.

Official photo: who the fak was in charge all this time for these. thing never fully highlight the best of their look, like every time. Even high schoolers nowadays can do much better with cheap dslr and photoshop. Aesthetic!

Mv: these why im more enjoying their live footages or best shot compilation cause there's no strong, a really impactful mv. almost each of that implemented some plots/narrative turn either boring and cringe-worthy. Nandome no aozora is one of their best song and its official mv just ruined it singlehandedly.
    The one that i really has interesting by concept was kimi no nawa kibou, the backstage reherseal. I can see the raw feel of it which I tend to like. but Nobuhiro Yamashita execution for these failed to highlight its fully potential. Maybe its need shoot in more bigger indoor studio, shoots in different way, idk. Not to say its wasted the presence of Sosuke Ikematsu?, quiet a big sin.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mayuri91

mayuri91 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    shiraishimai
    4th gen is lacking in department beauty. those 2nd gen of keya should have been in nogi instead of them. nogi needs to keep up their elegant, beautiful, model like idol instead of recruiting some basic cute, not so pretty girls. i mean..compare the two group really makes me thinking of future nogi..once maiyan grad, pretty sure the nogi image as model group gonna shattered. not even asuka can keep the image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. baymon

baymon Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    If you are looking for someone to replace 1st gens of course it's bound to fail. Which is why I said Umezawa will never live up to Maiyan, she needs to find her own character. But slowly I think some 3rd gens bring a new chara to the table. For example among 1st gens there is no one as pure and innocent as Momoko, no one a cutie airhead like Yoda, nobody a pretty and calculated fisher like Mizuki (she's like a mixture of Misa and Matsun). Mukai's variety aspect still need some work but I hope she comes up with a unique character as well. Kubo being a good singer like Iku I think still need to work on her chara as well. Similarly, the other potential ones like Ito Riria and Renka as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. paradisekiss

paradisekiss Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Hmm those charas are forgettable though. Yoda’s might been an exception but even that has an expiration date. Zukki’s chara is just awful. Nothing like Ringo or Misa’s. Ringo especially is a wall for that kind of character.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

We've been talking about 4th gen lacking in visual long time ago and i dont think we need to talk about it anymore. Yes, maybe it's your unpopular opinion but i hope this girl can change your mind, sir, eventho she's still beginner.
    Tamura-Mayu-3.jpg

modedit: use thumbnails for large images (i.e. images bigger than 750px in any direction

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  20. Asphyxia

Asphyxia Kenkyuusei

I'm more amaze on the photographer than her.
    I think any member with the same pose and lighting will look good.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1