1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Tatami Mats, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Knowledge is sexy.

I doubt this will get nearly as many hits as the "What are you listening to right now?" thread because you're all a bunch of p0st w****s *ducks for cover* but I figured I could give it a try.

Currently:

Japanese textbooks (in English). @ Tara/keiti/anybody else studying Japanese : any non-textbook textbooks that you could recommend? I believe we're about at the same level. (are we?) by non-textbook textbooks, I mean something a little more lively than a "Japanese Textbook."
    "Thriller Restaurant" -- (in Japanese) a junior high school-aged series of scary stories. :lol:
    "Initial D" series -- (in Japanese) by Shigeno Shuichi

Want to:

---- (any recommendations?)

Recommendations:

"Shutting out the sun. How Japan created it's own lost generation" (in English) by Michael Zielenziger. One of the most fascinating, troubling, and informative books about modern Japanese culture.
    "Coin Locker Babies" (In English, or in Japanese if you can do it) by Ryu Murakami. An oldie but a goodie. Not to be confused with the more popular Murakami, this guy is much darker.

2. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Finally, a thread for what we're reading! And yes, knowledge is sexy.

Aside from the engineering textbooks that I have to read and the song lyrics I look over for the translations thread, I'm reading The Insider's Guide to Making Money in Real Estate by Dolf de Roos, PhD; and Diane Kennedy, CPA. I'm a fan of reading about investments and plan on being financially free one day.

Who knows? I just might become the world's first trillionaire (in $US).

By the way, another reason why this thread might not get many posts is that it usually takes much longer to read a book than to listen to a song - unless by chance you can speed read like a god, or it's one of those audio books on tape/CD.

3. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    Nancy Drew: The Message in the Hollow Oak

I've been a Nancy Drew fan since elementary school <3

4. arrowisland

arrowisland Kenkyuusei

I was waiting for this thread!!!

I actually just finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Found it downstairs in my bookcase that just keeps on giving. Honestly, every day this week, I've gone down and a new book is there.

So now I'm reading Alice in Wonderland. Also found in the amazing multiplying bookcase.

Manga-wise, I'm concurrently reading LIFE, Umisho, and I've bought Ooran Host Club and Hanazakari no Kimitachi e. Yet to really read the last two though.

I'm up for any Japanese textbook recommendations too. Mine puts me to sleep, literally.

5. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    You know, I wouldn't actually "recommend" them as "WOW THIS IS A GREAT TEXTBOOK," but the "Kansen" series is good, albeit dry (top right, green). These are just the current ones. I figured there isn't much worth in posting old ones.

Top left and top middle are good because they have English translations if you are lazy. One is grammar, one is vocabulary. Bottom right is hard, but very good. It's a reading comprehension one. Bottom left and middle are very similar to the top right and middle, but just in all Japanese, which makes it "harder" b/c no English crutch to lean on. As you can tell by the title "Pass in 20 days" means they aren't very long. I rather do 5 small books compared to 1 giant one, because it feels like I am getting more accomplished if I go through more books. Hey, whatever works, right?

[​IMG]

6. Eririn

Eririn Kenkyuusei

I'm reading my biology book "The cell" and Zettai Kareshi (manga) xD

7. Erena

Erena Kenkyuusei

I'm reading the play by Lillian Hellman intitled "The Childrens Hour."
    A very ground breaking story for it's time in 1934

It is probley the saddest play I have ever read..The characters, the story! It is all superb!

8. keiti

keiti Kenkyuusei

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows(in English) but this week I haven't had time to read the book but I want to read so much
    and re-reading-The Servant: A Simple Story About the True Essence of Leadership by James C. Hunter

@Tatami Mats-- Where i learn japanese the teacher mix a lot of textbook and make a new textbook and the explanations is in portuguese than i don't think is useful to you

9. lamenth

lamenth Kenkyuusei

The Stage48 Institute for Akimoto Sayaka Worship
    I'm reading Myst: The Book of Ti'Ana. Based off the Myst games.

10. MilkGreen

MilkGreen Kenkyuusei

I'm reading Sophie's World, a philosopic novel.
    It took me 10 days to read half of it. It's too hard for my age.. XD

11. Nessy

Nessy Kenkyuusei

I was named after her. :)

And I'm reading Grendel by John Gardner for class, although I enjoy it enough that I really might as well be reading it for fun.

& I'm reading Swann's Way by Marcel Proust on the side.

12. akihabara@deep

akihabara@deep Kenkyuusei

i'm reading book

13. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

which book? can you be more specific?

right now i am not currently reading anything, earlier was reading the daily newspaper.

14. Nilenay

Nilenay Kenkyuusei

I just finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust, and am starting Kafka's The Trial. Next on my list will probably be A Clockwork Orange (by Anthony Burgess) :)

15. txandyy

txandyy Kenkyuusei

I'm reading " 100 aƱos de soledad " ( 100 years of solitude ) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

16. Erena

Erena Kenkyuusei

Awww! Your parents have really good taste! :D

17. Namitamakifan

Namitamakifan Kenkyuusei

I am currently reading a book called "Animal Farm" in English class. The book is easy to read but I failed the quiz that goes along with it. I just never studied!!! lol
    Animal Farm is just a book about animals who want freedom, so they take over the human race. lol

18. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

^ I never read Animal Farm, but I heard it's supposed to be some sort of satire or metaphor to communism. Is that true?

19. Youkokurama

Youkokurama Kenkyuusei

the best!!! wooohooo! this post really made my day(or what's left of it before i finally fly to dreamland).. hahaha

i'm reading "hontou no takaramono" (the real treasure) by suzumiya haruka :D

20. chibilolli

chibilolli Kenkyuusei

I've been reading the Negima series but have got to number 8 and want a change for a while. So I'm gonna go back to reading Battle Vixens.

I have the new Harry Potter book but I haven't picked it up yet. Its been on my floor since my friend bought it for me. Maybe I'll take it to read on the plane.