What went wrong with Ikoma Rina?

Discussion in 'General Nogizaka46 Discussion' started by UrFavAsianGuy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    @Fallen Blossom , @kk127 , @mayuri91 You little argument is over. Back on topic please. This is my second and last warning. Do not insult one another. (Posts edited)

2. Kawaki Otsutsuki

Kawaki Otsutsuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    alright cris no problem

3. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    I was only talking about in Japan, and what you said generally plays into my point. That they will say one or two girls stand out but the rest don't, even though they would know a few members by name. Often, as you say, people will mention the girls from their regions as being the stand-out member when it's obviously just because they're from their area.

This happens all the time with non-fans. And, in my experience, new fans too. Some saying it about everyone but their favourite member.

4. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    But the same is true for Nogizaka (the girls in general are from all over Japan) and yet you don't see the same regionalism take effect since they're not trying to stand out using a specific character.

I see it as being similar to Perfume - the group has character, but the girls themselves do not.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

5. kanjo

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Yeah, I'm not saying Nogizaka is any better, I'm just saying it's always the same when you're outside the fandom.

For example, I still can't distinguish NGT girls but I can easily for Keyaki girls. It obviously has nothing to do with the members, it's just me.

6. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Not really? Also, comparing a sister group that's just started and hasn't had a single TV appearance with Nogizaka is comparing apples and oranges.

Better to compare Nogi with AKB, SKE, NMB or HKT at the start. Nogi's very obvious flaw is that they're all considered the same "character" by the public - the public is very able to tell apart the characters of any HKT girl, for example, just because of how the TV appearances are (i.e., Sakura from Haruppi from Sasshi). And that's with a much lower amount of TV appearances, since Nogi's TV presence is second to only AKB HQ.

7. kanjo

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Actually with Keyakizaka.

But that's my point. It's all about familiarity. You might think HKT has really stand out members but people not interested in them will still say they're basically all the same. Minus Sasshi due to the huge age gap. And even if they don't it's because of familiarity.

Even within AKB fans, I've seen fans of older members say the same thing about newer generation girls, AKB+NMB fans saying that about SKE members, Dream Morning Musume fans say the same thing about Morning Musume '15 girls. People say it about X21, Passpo, etc. Some girl idol group fans say it about Johnny's and vice versa. Any big idol group gets these comments at least from time to time.

My whole point is that there are always **some** people who aren't interested in an idol group (even if they're interested in another group) that will say "they all look the same".

Loads of people say that about every girl in REV from DVL except Hashimoto Kanna. But she really isn't that unique. I personally agree with the consensus that she's cuter, but she's not the only unique looking member, not at all. People say it thought because they are familiar with her but no one else.

I want to say clearly though that I'm not saying everyone says or thinks this, but that there are people who say and think this.
    And I'm just trying to point out that an AKB fan who is not a Nogizaka fan will have surely seen Ikoma more than other Nogizaka members and isn't in a position to say that Ikoma is the only member that stands out. Just like me, as someone who's watched and rewatched and analysed (as a translator) everything to do with Keyakizaka but have only seen a handful of videos of NGT can't say Keyakizaka members stand out more than NGT members. Because they wouldn't without familiarity.

8. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    While I can see your point, my issue and point still stands: most of the characters within Nogizaka as a group tend to be similar variants to each other, which is a direct result of the producers of the group specifically picking them out to be this way, whereas with AKB they didn't do that.

9. rust

rust Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    Rusted_Van
    throwing my two pence into the discussion ^ ^

Well I agree there's a similar style to most of the nogi members, I wouldn't say they are similar variant of characters to each other. I also think the similar style, the image of nogi eventually developed & that we all know today, wasn't a result of deliberate styling on the mngmnt part, hence the earlier days of style exploring, Ikoma centering, & the notion of "nogi's concept is not concept" floating around. The image became what it is because a good number of those chosen auditionee (especially the successful member), initially chosen not with any particular style in mind, were of the ojousama image.

10. jovviny

jovviny Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kodamaharuka
    I really like Nogi, love their songs think the girls are beautiful and so on. Still, to me it is much harder to distinguish the girls from eachother. Ikoma though, really stands out, for some (like me) that´s a good thing and for some a not so good thing I guess. Maiyan is really really beautiful but I can´t grasp her personality at all. She is, to my mind like the essence of nogi, shiny, sleek beautiful...
    Ikoma though is another flavor that I reallythink brings somthing else, something special, something that stands out. I really can´t understand the hate she gets, It´s ok to not like a member, to think "she´s nothing special", but to hate her? I could understand it if she had done something that really could hurt the group, like a really big scandal but she hasn´t. Run away crying? Being to loud, annoying? Hogging the spotlight? If Ikoma did "Hog the spotlight" it´s still not her fault, management put her in that spot, right? And she does stand out all on her own, my eyes are always drawn to her even if she´s in the back row.

11. kanjo

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    You don't understand why Ikoma is being hated because she's not being hated for the most part. Just the push.

12. jovviny

jovviny Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kodamaharuka
    I think she gets plenty of hate that is not just the push, just look at some posts in this thread...
    I think it´s ok to dislike, maybe even hate the push, but I see a lot of hate that seems personal.

13. kanjo

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Honestly, I just disagree. I don't think this thread has lot of hate at all. For the most part it's just people discussing why her push wasn't successful. None of it comes across as hateful.

14. Kawaki Otsutsuki

Kawaki Otsutsuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    I think that @jovviny is the only one who feels what I'm saying which makes us like the only 2 people on this thread who don't understand the hatred for ikoma and I do feel like some of these people hate ikoma with a personal burning passion as well at least that's how it seems to me and I still do not see the problem with ikoma-chan as a performer or as a person but if ikoma-chan was getting all the attention or is still getting all the attention as someone pointed out in their opinion then maybe...just maybe the other members need to step their game up.

15. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

Never being involved in 46 fandom, I guess it's objective to say this.

Gui-gui character and Management fave doesn't match together. Gui-gui character tend to develop into "annoying" character which drain attention, especially in TV show. By default, Guigui character is developed as the girl itself actually NOT management fave from beginning, and its a justified reason to remain competitive in idol industries.

However when those 2 things combined, you will saw the girl character develop from "Cutely Annoying" into "Whoringly Annoying" which in my opinion, hinder girl progress very hard in the long turn, unless she abandon her Guigui, or no longer Management fave.

I'm not talking about Ikoma Rina. In fact, I'm talking about all idol with Guigui tendency. Take my word with a grain of salt.

16. IkoSayu

IkoSayu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ikomarina
    For me there's nothing about Ikoma... ah yes, she's not sexy, tall and girly, that's the only main "problem" with Ikomachan. I'm sure Nanase will never get this much hate even if the management pushes her again and again because she looks good in bikini. :D
    Haters love to bash her again and again because they feel like they can do it. It's so fun to spit on her all their hatress and wickedness... and well it's so easy to howl with the wolves after all. I've never read this much attacks on this forum on any other member... of course, they do not lack respect for her fans, they just voice their opinion. If you speak about anybody else, you do lack respect for members and fans and you are asked to refrain to post your opinion. :D

17. mayuri91

mayuri91 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    shiraishimai
    why the defenders of ikoma kept talking about how ikoma was hated because she isnt pretty?(i even had mentioned once a post in her thread that she is pretty) i never saw someone stated that. ikoma is unlucky she was pushed but has weak heart,a crying baby and was pushed for 5singles, and front row until last singles and also her character DIDNT well-received by fans?
    if nanase was pushed, she also might get the hated but can she managed to go through? well we didnt know. we also know her to be quiet and has character more like acchan rather guigui. so fans maynot be so disturbing by her appearance in talk show.
    @IkoSayu have you ever read a thread about paruru? that girl has more hatred than jurina at the 1st year of her pushed and a has thread like this too but i think has been deleted. here, this is more peaceful except when suddenly someone said about blood something. [hehe]

18. Crossheart

Crossheart Member

Oshimen:
    Amaki Sally
    Twitter:
    rom_ch22
    And you just said why Ikoma was pushed instead someone else, Acchan was there back in 2011, and they don't want in Nogi a copy of her, so they decided to push the opposite pole. Who other person who had been pushed in that case then?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  19. rust

rust Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    Rusted_Van
    Re the hate thing, well there are definitely haters of Ikoma out there & maybe some on this forum, I agree with @kanjo that for the most part discussions here are reasonable. The act of discussing doesn't equals to hating, & being a high profile member with heavy resources devoted to, it is natural to have a lot of discussion centered around this. Such conversations never been limited to Ikoma only either, naachan been talked of every once in a while especially since centering consecutively; some don't see her appeal, others find her uninteresting, or don't stand out etc. Being arguably the most popular member in nogi however means there's never serious question about the resources & positioning she receives.

You don't need to find any problem with Ikoma as a performer or a person. There's no reason you as her fan have to & I agree she have her own unique quality as a performer & an idol. However no idol can appeal to every single fan, & not everyone will necessarily be attracted to her as a performer or an idol & there's nothing wrong with that either.

Regarding the notion where other members need to step their game up tho, sorry but frankly speaking I do find it a bit funny. Among the current senbatsu members almost half have worked their way up from Unders (misa maimai tsuki asuka minami marika sayu), mostly not thro a push but their own popularity growth first. Four were Unders for the first few singles (misa maimai tsuki marika), & misa for example have had it particularly tough. Nanase worked her way to centre from back centre too for another example, rising from a back senbatsu member that doesn't stand out to bona fide centre. Overall most members in nogi have seen amazing growth in their popularity if we look at their HS sales as well, especially over the years. These members didn't just suddenly become popular tho of course; attention need to be drawn to oneself especially when one's buried to the back, what little opportunity need to be made good use of. All things considered I think nogi-members in general have done more then well enough to draw attention, altho of course there's always room for improvement. For most part, I think nogi-members have more than stepped up their game.

I also think it is disingenuous to suggest that the attention one receives is all the result of one's ability to draw it, & mngmnt pushing being merely based on this. Using himetan as an example, to paraphrase her mobame from immediately after 13th senbatsu announcement, instead of the usually "I didn't work hard enough, I'm sorry I failed you" stuffs, she said she tried her best already & she didn't know what else she can do anymore (I am sure misa felt similarly many singles ago lol). I think it is fair to say hime is more than capable of drawing attention, is a great singer & performer, have an unique & distinguishable character within nogi, & is decently popular (& been so since at least the 6th single.) Why then was she not receiving equal attention? Rather then suggesting she need to step up her game, I think a more suitable explanation is the lack of opportunity given (until this single that is.)

20. jovviny

jovviny Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kodamaharuka
    I agree it's not so simple as the other girls "need to step up"... They already do! Management should try to give more girls a chance and maybe then someone like Ikoma needs to be moving back. And guess what? She has been! Right? Still management is still not giving new members the chance, just rotating the frontgirls... I think Nogi needs something like teams, so all the girls would get somthing at least. And they need more opportunities outside of the singles/albums. Subunits maybe?

Anyway, it's still not Ikomas fault that management keep pushing her instead of other girls. A do get the feeling some antis want be content until Ikoma is either totally removed from both senbatsu and undergirls or graduates.