1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Why do J-Pop concerts outside of Japan are not crowded, compared to K-Pop?

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Hotsushikun, May 30, 2019.

1. Hotsushikun

Hotsushikun Kenkyuusei

Hello there, i just happened to noticed on large number of J-Pop artists donning concerts outside of Japan, they aren't crowded, this is stark contrast to the K-Pop concerts where they are crowded. I am not sure why J-Pop concerts they held in other parts of the world get less crowded, is it just because J-Pop international fanbase isn't big, and that K-Pop international fanbase is big and they get crowded in concerts there?

Also, i happend to noticed some J-Pop fans have been converted into K-Pop in recent years, hence why J-Pop is losing international fans just because J-Pop artists don't care internationally at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. half23

half23 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Shinozaki Ayana
    because less people come

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Heelo

Heelo Kenkyuusei

J-Pop is just less popular than K-Pop outside of Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    2 days AKB48 at Jakarta tickets were only about $4 for 2 day pass. There were Yuihan & Yuiyui. Could've been Naachan but she got a job with STU48 at that moment.

Twice concert, cheapest ticket was $100.

5. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    Wasn't it pointed out before that JPop artists simply do not need the foreign market as much as KPop artists? After all, Japan has the second biggest music industry in the world whereas Korea is not even in the top 5.

6. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I've heard about this and I found this is bullshit. Definitely against Abe's program of Cool Japan that is promoting Japanese popular culture aboard.

Salute to ONE OK ROCK that is the most popular Japanese artist aboard and they really consider the importance of international market. They were supporting act of Ed Sheeran's Asian Tour. But I didn't watch the concert, waiting for their solo tour instead.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Pretty much. Korean artists have to advertise internationally. Japanese artists don't.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hotsushikun

Hotsushikun Kenkyuusei

I understand if J-Pop don't do an international tour and that you guys do not want it, but i heard about Japan's demographic crisis, which means Japan will be screwed up and Japan will lose its status as the Asia's largest music market if Japan doesn't do something about it.

Also, come how you guys believe that you don't want an international tour, is there are some reasons for that?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    Juice=Juice had a World Tour in 2017: https://helloproject.fandom.com/wiki/Juice=Juice_LIVE_AROUND_2017_~World_Tour~

I went to the London concert which was sold out although it was at a relatively small venue. It was a great 2-hour show with an additional HS event for Premium ticket holders. The Paris show 2 days later was released on DVD.

Then last year Angerme performed a one-off show in Paris which was also released on DVD: https://helloproject.fandom.com/wiki/ANGERME_1st_Overseas_Live_Tour_in_Paris. As far as I'm aware the show was sold out.

It's good to see that Hello! Project and Up Front were able to organise these events in Europe and hopefully they'll do more in the near future. Up Front has an official Twitter account in English to promote their artists to a global audience: https://twitter.com/upfrontlink

10. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    I'm not against the idea of my favorite Japanese artists promoting more internationally like what KPop artists are doing.

I just don't like it when its somehow implied that KPop is superior since they are more well known internationally.

Either way, I do like some artists/idols from both countries, so whatever works for their music industry is ok with me.

11. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    In the end it depend on the artist.
    2 years ago, Babymetal sold out every venues they performed in during their world tour, including the Wembley arena.

But those artists, be it K or J are still not mainstream in europe, despite also some respectable sales.

12. Iz*One48

Iz*One48 Kenkyuusei

First, we must understand the backdrop of situation and know how to put certain well known information in proper context.

In general Japanese music industry is the second largest music industry in the world and they can pretty much sustain by themselves. Hence, they are more insular and less international friendly. Everyone knows that.

On the other hand the market of Korean music industry is small. This provides the push for KPop to promote internationally.

I always remember the comment posted in The Unit thread of OneHallyu. What is the similarity of this nugu group? They always promote in Japan.

Is JPop will be forever insular in the future? Are they not interested to market internationally? Pretty much not but we are comparing JPop which is having this insular backdrop and KPop which have been far more ahead in international promotion. Of course the disparity is huge and it takes time for JPop to catch up.

As an example, I provide you with AKS collaboration with CJ E&M in Produce48. It is not AKS become insular yesterday and decide to cooperate with international company tomorrow. It is a result of years of development not only in AKS part but also CJ E&M part.
    1. The earliest relationship between AKS and CJ E&M is when AKB48 performed “River” at MAMA 2009 (10 years ago).
    2. AKS had cooperated with international companies in the establishment of international sister group. The earliest one is JKT48 and SNH48 (SNH48 is not part of 48 family anymore but that is different story) in 2012 (7 years ago). I think the rumor about TPE48 is far earlier but I am not sure that much.
    3. Produce101 is pretty much influence by AKB48 general election.

As far as I see it right now…….. Johnny’s JR have youtube account, Yamapi open up Instagram account, Yoshimoto (which having group in Indonesia and Thailand) cooperate with CJ E&M to produce their own “global group”, Yoshimotozaka46 MV is still region blocked, MV upload in AVEX youtube is still short version, …….. It is a long way to go.

13. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    It depends to the country.

48 (Jpop) and SM (Kpop) both began overseas expansions in Indonesia & both are based in a same mall, FX, a mall in Sudirman Road, one of the most important roads in Jakarta.

1. 48 first legit overseas expansion was actually in Singapore, an overseas theater with official shop but now closed due to lack of audiences. JKT48 was a proposal from a half Japanese-Indonesian media tycoon Reino Barrack to Aki-P that was executed immediately while first proposed sister group in Taiwan was pending for 5 years.
    2. In 2016 or 2017, CEO of SM proposed a global expansion that began from Indonesia. He fulfilled his promise.

Yeah, FX is a little Asia. Literally almost every country of Asia exists here and it's very close to GBK, the main venue of 2018 Asian Games.

In Indonesia, what can be serious rivals to 48/46? Not HP, Johnny, Stardust, or LDH, but 2d franchises like Love Live, Idolm@ster, and now Bang Dream that is about girl bands over idols have a rapid growing of popularity here.

Love Live live or delayed screenings are always soldout here. While Bang Dream fans are lobbying CGV Indonesia to screen Bang Dream screenings.

14. Hotsushikun

Hotsushikun Kenkyuusei

Well, i agree if J-Pop doesn't have any way to promote its J-Pop internationally, i know IZ ONE have potential since they are both K-Pop/J-Pop hybrid, and it could further help improve Japan and Korea relations though.

Also, is there a problem on J-Pop is having an accessibility problem, i know one mdo7 even argument about having accessibility, but i don't see about that. I know some MVs are notably shorter and do not post full MVs. I know only new and recent MVs are regularly posted but the older and pre-2010 MVs of J-Pop is hard to find them, including those that are 2000s and 1990s and 1980s and more.

I am not sure about the accessibility, i know newer J-Pop MVs are becoming more accessible and even KOTOKO's older MVs are now getting uploaded by its official channel NBC/Universal Anime. Good thing about Kotoko's older MV getting uploaded here, but some older MVs would have been accessible even more.

I still keep trying to get MVs for artists signed with Sony Music Japan, but they keep region-blocking their MVs and only leaves their MVs for Vevo simply for international fans, which kinda disappoints me. I know there are famous artists signed with SMEJ even performed op and ed theme for the song as well.

15. unkowwn

unkowwn Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

I live in Hawaii and we have tons of artists that come here. Hell AKB48 came here so much times I cry in my sleep that I missed so much opportunities to see Kasai Tomomi cry on the corner of Kuhio Avenue.

When Jpop artists come here, given suitable marketing, does pretty well. Arashi was a very big deal. We just had ONE OK ROCK and some others. To be honest I never watched many J-pop stuff that comes by. Well I TRIED to get tickets to see Hosokawa Takeshi live with Crystal Kay but was so unlucky. And I was so distracted by school to see Utada live.

I feel the people here in Hawaii don't care for the music but the tourists sure do come here to watch them and make a vacation out of it lol.

Ditto for Kpop. I love my dad for getting a signed copy of Empire Album.