1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Why do you like AKB48?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by ame-rin, May 27, 2011.

1. iNSP

iNSP Kenkyuusei

I find that as I age as a wota, what I like about AKB evolves to ecompass more. I remember two years ago, it was that they were cute girls who sing and dance. That's ever present, but as I gave it more time I began to see their bonds, work ethic, growth, pride, humility, etc. Many qualities that are admirable.

At times I think I live viacariously through AKB. Which is pretty shitty, but they are able to satisify me on many levels. AKB has made me a better person, I think that's safe to say. Before AKB I was a really, really, big asshole. Now I'm just a dick.

2. kunit38

kunit38 Kenkyuusei

just like the post above, my appreciation for akb has grown over the years.
    at first, i was just drawn in by the catchy songs and the cute girls. i then started getting to know some of the member more and more. as i got to know them, i also learned of the hardships they, as a group, and individually have faced. i admire that they are really a tight knit family and not just a group. they are unique obviously because they are such a large group, but also because there are so many different characters in the group. there are girls that can appeal to almost everyone, looks wise and or personality wise imo. i like how they are humble, and are thankful. its also neat that they understand that this is something that will always be a part of their lives and that they are all taking part in something very historic and monumental.
    it doesnt hurt at all that they are from japan, where i was born.
    i know an idol is always supposed to be upbeat and smiling, but to be on tv and media all the time as much as they are, i do applaud them for always staying true to themselves and putting a smile on for so many fans although they lack sleep and free time much of the time.

3. melyangelique

melyangelique Kenkyuusei

Well, I'm a girl and it's inspiring to see so many girls reach out for their dreams and work really hard while doing it. Most of the girls in AKB came from a normal background and seeing their progress from the beginning is really inspiring. Not to mention a lot of them are really talented! And pretty, charming, funny, etc etc. Like there are times when I wish I was in a group like AKB. It's like a huge family [hehe] I also like the fact that they're such a big group and there's so many things to like that it's nearly impossible to get bored of them!

4. crunky12

crunky12 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    Their music is so refreshing to my ears and puts me in such a good mood <3
    Plus the group as a whole is such an interesting concept, wouldn't you agree? :D

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I only know a few members, so when I watch a video I try to spot them. It's like a J-pop version of Where's Waldo.

6. KyuketsuNyanNyan

KyuketsuNyanNyan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tashimameru
    lol, I remember doing this. Trying to spot Yukirin in the earlier AKB clips ive seen [hehe]

7. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

They're cute, they've worked hard to get where they are (well, some of them), and my kids love them!

8. Aisansan

Aisansan Kenkyuusei

Exactly the AKB concept and why it is a winner.

If say the 7th-12th Generation were the girls that came first instead, swapping with 1st - 6th generation ... nothing would have changed. AKB would have been a screaming success still, and we would be cheering and worshiping an entirely different set of girls, there would have a different legendary Aces like Acchan and Yuko, another person filling a role similar to Takamina and the other girls....and so forth.

Those who come first of course do all the hard work, but it really doesn't matter who they were, but once established then recognition breeds recognition and they become fairly set at the top of the idol tree.

I wonder who the Aces would have been, the equivalents of Yuko, Acchan, Takamina and so forth.

9. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    at first, i just like them because they could really sing & dance and that their beauty is not artificial. Then as i know their dark pasts and concept, i love them more then ever! Their dark past is truly inspiring, and i just loved to see girls with different character, appearance, skill, and personality works together. I loved it when they do idiotic things with absolutely no embarrassment :lol: . I also love it when i see them smile, it made me sad when they cried, it made me laugh when they do stupid things.
    I also like them for not trying to hide the truth from the fans and their interaction with fans.

AKB is not your usual idol.

10. Akira Hitoshi

Akira Hitoshi Kenkyuusei

Majijo's Rooftop, staring at the clouds...
    Oshimen:
    Watanabe Mayu
    Honestly, I also had the same thought as everyone else, to think that they could only be cute and dance. But after watching the documentary AKB48: the show must go on, I realized that they aren't just a simpleminded idol group that is trying to make money, at least not the dominant members. I also watched videos about their history, and how they started from the ground up all the way to their popularity today. I think that's the reason why they're so popular now. Aside from liking them, I honestly think that my respect outweighs my obsession. Just the fact that they went through so much, it's hard not to like them.

In terms of respect and worth liking, I think that Yuko and Takamina deserve the most, not just because of their charms. Watching videos of their past experiences and all, these two members seem to be the most down to earth, although there are other members too. Just watch the documentary I was talking about, it's actually pretty sad.

11. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    To be honest with you?

The fact that their songs are ever-changing! Just when I think that I get a hang of their "typical" music Aki-P throws a wrench at me that makes me love them even more :lol:
    It only helps that the awesome personalities of the girls (I can't even choose a main oshimen :^^;: ) really forces you to be attracted to the group as a whole.

12. UsaMimi

UsaMimi Kenkyuusei

usagi-chan : i like akb because of their music. there's so many songs from their singles and their teams. i can always find the songs that fit my moods.
    mimi-chan : but that's a few years ago, right ? now we like akb not only for their music, but also for their tv show (they have many good tv show). add that with cm, photobooks, handshake events, sousenkyo, janken tournament.
    usagi-chan : you're right, mimi-chan ! btw what tv show do you like the most ?
    mimi-chan : mmm...i think i like akbingo, but the others are also good.
    usagi-chan : i like all of them.
    mimi-chan : ok, i also like all of them. [hehe]

13. Akira Hitoshi

Akira Hitoshi Kenkyuusei

Majijo's Rooftop, staring at the clouds...
    Oshimen:
    Watanabe Mayu
    I remember the first time I ever saw AKB48, it was probably when I watched the MV for Heavy Rotation. To be honest, I really didn't think much of them except for the fact that these cute jap girls were dancing around and having fun. But then I started researching about them and came to realize that these members worked really hard to get to where they are today. After watching their documentaries, I saw that these girls had shared blood, sweat, and tears over the last few years. That's what I call success. That's why I like them. [rock]

A.A (After Acchan) era starts now...

14. yozikzo

yozikzo Kenkyuusei

i love their aura,their spirit,their songs,and of course i love their beauties [hehe]

15. MidoriHime

MidoriHime Member

They're hardworking and dedicated. They miss out on a lot of their lives by being in AKB
    They're songs are catchy and meaningful
    There is a personality for everyone
    They are constantly changing and expanding
    They have a unique concept
    The girls seem to have a lovely friendship with each other - I'm quiet envious
    It allows me to study Japanese more

16. infinitehippos

infinitehippos Member

Initially because I like the songs ... They have so many that whilst there are some I don't like that much there are also many that I love.

Their concerts (on DVD/BD at least, I've never attended a live one and doubt I'll ever be able to ... The groups know how to put on a show for the fans. But the performances are real in the sense that they are not cookie-cutter perfect with every member doing exactly the same thing and that comes across as showing that they are really trying to do their best and working hard.

The members come across as real people and don't seem to try and hide that. Western pop groups tend to treat their artists as fragile things who's every whim must be catered to no matter how spoiled. With the AKB members we see the downs as well as the ups in documentaries and we see them being normal and joking around in the making of videos. They come across as normal people with their own individual personalities.

What's not to like about have a large number of cute girls all working together as friendly rivals towards common goals. It makes you quite envious that they get to do what they want to with people they seem to enjoy being with and consider to be their friends

17. Leoh

Leoh Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    Most because of the GREAT songs !! Which RIVER and Beginner motivates me to beat challenges and never give up of my dreams ! Well as the determination and effort of the girls, whereupon makes me don't feel afraid to face new challenges ! =3

18. Ribbon

Ribbon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ishidaharuka
    1.Their songs put a smile on my face when I'm feeling down and are really catchy. The girls' voices are also really sweet and make me feel even more happy.
    2.Songs like RIVER seriously motivated me when I needed motivation and courage when school life was hard, because things will get better after a long and difficult journey in life.
    3.The girls are my role models because though they are still young,they have worked hard to be where they are right now and show that despite having imperfections (like not-perfect looks or vocals which tend to be frowned upon),they can still make it big by trying their best. I like how this spreads the message that being perfect is not the most important thing in life;instead its trying your best and having fun.
    4.Learning the names of members and songs have helped me learn more Japanese,especially the Kanji bits.
    5.I love their costumes!!! :)
    6.Their dances are really fun.
    7.The songs are great to sing along to,and there's one for every mood.

19. disneyanime91

disneyanime91 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    1. There's a playlist for every occasion. Not 'song', 'PLAYLIST'.
    2. Every member has a unique story to tell.
    3. No other act/artiste/singer/entertainer has ever been able to invoke such strong emotions, passion and dedication in me.
    4. ... You know what, I'll just put up this rough translation (with some modifications) of a post on a Chinese AKB48 fanpage on Facebook that really struck me in particular, and pretty much sums up everything I feel about the 48 Project. Wall of text incoming:

You say 48G's songs are all cheesy love tunes, I counter you with "River" and "Beginner".
    You say 48G's songs all sound the same, I counter you with "Flying Get" and "UZA".
    You say 48G's songs are meaningless and superficial, I counter you with "Kaze wo Fuiteiru", "Dareka no Tame ni" and "Tenohira ga Kataru Koro".
    You say 48G's songs are easily forgettable and unpopular, I counter you with "Heavy Rotation".
    You say 48G's songs have no place in the international scene, I counter you with "Sugar Rush".

You say 48G girls are ugly, I counter you with Kojima Haruna.
    You say 48G girls are one-trick ponies, I counter you with Oshima Yuko.
    You say 48G girls can't dance, I counter you with SKE48.
    You say 48G girls can't sing, I counter you with Iwasa Misaki.
    You say 48G girls can't hold a conversation, I counter you with Minegishi Minami.
    You say 48G girls aren't cute, I counter you with Watanabe Mayu.
    You say 48G girls aren't sexy, I counter you with Kasai Tomomi.
    You say 48G girls are unfashionable, I counter you with Shinoda Mariko.
    You say 48G girls have never experienced hardships in life, I counter you with Akimoto Sayaka.
    You say 48G girls are mean and uncaring towards their juniors, I counter you with Itano Tomomi.
    You say 48G girls aren't intelligent, I counter you with Kitahara Rie.
    You say 48G girls are poor at academics, I counter you with Nakamata Shiori.
    You say 48G girls lack musical awareness, I counter you with Matsui Sakiko.
    You say 48G girls can't show a more handsome side, I counter you with Miyazawa Sae.
    You say 48G girls can't handle the heat, I counter you with Matsui Rena.
    You say 48G girls aren't feisty enough, I counter you with Matsui Jurina.
    You say 48G girls don't know how to maximize their appeal, I counter you with Watanabe Miruki.
    You say 48G girls lack leadership skills, I counter you with Takahashi Minami.
    You say 48G girls are cowards who give up too easily in the face of failure, I counter you with Kikuchi Ayaka.
    You say 48G girls lack understanding of their own culture, I counter you with Sato Amina and Sashihara Rino.
    You say 48G girls are lazy, I counter you with Yokoyama Yui.
    You say 48G girls are weak, dainty princesses, I counter you with Shimada Haruka.
    You say 48G girls are merely stereotypical idol girls in their own tastes, I counter you with Kuramochi Asuka.
    You say 48G girls lack understanding of how the natural world works, I counter you with Kashiwagi Yuki.
    You say 48G girls don't know how to interact with others across language barriers, I counter you with Nakagawa Haruka and Takajo Aki.
    You say 48G girls are nobodies in the industry, I counter you with Maeda Atsuko.
    You say 48G can't do variety TV at all, I counter you with NMB48.
    You say 48G girls have aged past their prime, I counter you with HKT48.
    You say 48G's influence is limited to Japan, I counter you with JKT48 and SNH48.

You say 48G has too many members for its own good; I just proved to you that it is its greatest asset.

Well, you guys can probably come up with a better list, but I hope it gets the message across. :)
    I apologize if this seems a bit too excessive, but I couldn't think of a better way to do it. Put simply, I feel that the 48 Project, at the end of the day, is really about unity in diversity, strength in adversity, and the members' sheer dedication to what they do.

20. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Rant alert lol

Well, I've been following them musically since they debuted.
    I'd see they had a new single and I listened to it. Sometimes I was very late and I had to catch up with two or three singles at a a time. :XD:
    Then Heavy Rotation happened, and I listened to it all summer long. Then Beginner, and same thing. I was on erasmus that year, and many of my friends in my residency knew the song and loved the PV (I showed it to everybody [hehe] ).
    The next year, Sakura no Ki... and Kaze wa... hooked me like crazy. Kaze was is actually a very important song for me, since I came back to Poland (where I did my erasmus)... alone. So all I had was my music, and they released that single by that time.

But it was still just music for me.
    Until I went with a scholarship to Moscow... and it didn't go so well. I just wanted to stay in my room listening to music and watching movies and one day... Maeda announced her graduation. I didn't understand why. She was the girl I noticed the most when I watched the PVs. I had seen her blossom through the years and now...
    I started reading in the internet about how hard it was for the girls to achieve some things and I realized there was much more behind AKB than just some catchy tunes.
    I started watching the documentaries and I fell in love with the mythology that surrounded the group and, specially, Maeda. Her figure at the front row as a lighthouse for other to follow and whatnot. :^^;:

It was then when I became crazy over the group. I spent that whole summer catching up with the group. I listened to the stages again (which took my mind to 2007, when I listened them for the first time). I caught up with the b-sides. I started listening to the sister groups, the sub-units, the solos... until now.

I think I completed my conversion to AKBism this winter, watching live the Unit Matsuri and the Request Hour. I had never followed an election, nor a janken tournament. I didn't even know who Paruru was when she won and what the fuss was about that she did. Now I do.

So for me it's a mixture of good music and how they wrap it up in a reality-show/myth-type thing that makes you want more. [whew]