Single AKB48 43rd [Kimi wa Melody] (2016/03/09)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Dec 15, 2015.

1. MayuMK30048

MayuMK30048 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    I think GM5 is still the highest-selling AKB Sakura Single. but compared to the gimmick from before. they really stacked so much gimmick in KwM. and on AKB sales. I honestly, don't know if the fans are just low in cash since AKB all year round are like cash-cow for management. I mean there's like only two or three months apart from every single release and then you also have sister group singles in between or the fans are already losing interest in the 48G. and of course might be both.

2. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

I think this is 100% the reason, even though many people look past it, but right now for example we have 6 singles released in the span of 1.5 months, only NGT doesn't have one. Plus concerts too. It's just too expensive to buy AKB singles like in years past, the fact that they still sell this much is pretty impressive.

3. SorrowAir

SorrowAir Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I like to further discuss the whole "First day amazing, the rest nothing special.

I find the fact that they still pulling an additional 100K after first day to be quite a feat
    Put in this way... How many acts actually can manage 100k in a week not including first day? Outside top level acts, not too many.

4. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

As far as calls for Sakura to move to AKB...no thanks. She fits better in HKT and if we're moving girls over to AKB I'd rather have some actual talent coming. That's why I was happy that Chori and Maachun came to AKB :p I hope Sakura goes the way of Paru and only occasionally centers things, giving other girls a chance to be center too. That seems to be the trend nowadays with no permanent center so I don't think we have anything to worry about in that regard anyway. Well, Sakura probably won't win the election (it's more than likely going to be Sasshi again if she runs) so that's at least one single this year we won't have a Sakura center for. And just like Paru center blew over and people got used to it, Sakura will be old hat soon enough and the outrage will shift to whatever is newly uncool (perhaps they'll have Sayanee center a single or two, lol).

5. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

AKB48's 43rd Single (Kimi Wa Melody) (6th Day Sales)
    Day 6:
    14,507 (Total: 1,230,844) (1st)

Past Day Sales
    Day 1: 1,133,179 (1st)
    Day 2: 36,419 (Total: 1,169,598) (1st)
    Day 3: 19,415 (Total: 1,189,013) (1st)
    Day 4: 13,284 (Total: 1,202,297) (1st)
    Day 5: 14,040 (Total: 1,216,337) (1st)

6. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    I think the MUSIC is a valid part of the "package"- it's the vehicle that drives us from point A to point B.

Case in point- "Warukii" (Milky's little devil song). Think about it's construction, evolution, The 1st (or 10th time you heard it)- like "Cherry Boy", "Beginner", or "Candy Candy" - it's now a time tested Favorite! It was originally made for Milky as a solo to showcase her "character"- but now it's more often used in variant versions to showcase other girls or "special LIVE Concert Treat". I've seen Sayanee, Koji-Mako, Koji-Haru, Sakura versions and now recently Komi-Haru (Komi-Kii!!). Some of the songs take on a life of their own. The Music, the Dance, who the Original "Center" or Solo was are "vehicles" moving the Idols from place to place - Fans enjoy the ride.

Now on the "personality" part...
    The "Personality" or Selling of these girls as "Idols" is just the same as picking a favorite Baseball player or even a UFC fighter. I watch & notice Idols based on who I'm attracted to or who interests me as a girl. I've been "turned off" by a girls fans & I've taken a second look at Idols who do things outside of just singing & dancing. ANY girl I'm a fan of is because I think the girl holds my attention & I want more of her- The Singing, Songs, & Dance can be average as long as I like the Girl & she looks cute & warms my heart- She's NOT selling the song, she's "Entertaining Me" - I would watch these girls plant crops, ice skate, make sand castles, or wrestle each other if it was "Entertaining"- They are Idols & they are selling: Smiles, Dreams, & a Performance.....the Music is "the Vehicle" or The Arena they use.

I recently get into Kpop's TWICE - I've heard 1 song atleast 100 times in like 2 weeks. I genuinely REALLY love the song. I've collected 15 versions of it off YouTube. Is the song 'that Great'? probably not. I haven't liked a song like this in YEARS...since 2013 maybe. My point is the MUSIC Matters - when you get Amazingly talented girls together & fuse them w/ a catchy song - it's GOLDEN!!

Most Idol music is "Fluff"- Imagine the non-Idol artists whose biggest hit comes from a 'sub-par' song that was used as an Anime Opening theme. They have all these fans who only know them for 1 or 2 songs mainly because it was linked to an Anime they've never seen. In this case Anime was the "Vehicle" for the Music - lol.

[\spoiler]
    NOW....someone is selling you a ticket to shake hands or interact w/ the girl who has been Entertaining you? How cool is that. The truth is we "Like People" - we like the Idols for being Idols. I think AKB's best songs are the 'ever-greens'. The ones that are easy on the ears & can be performed by any combination of girls & can be adapted by costume, theme, or Idol. This is why I think the "Theater" aspect of AKB (Live) is the real appeal - it's make them seem more "real" - AKB should literally have a "Touring AKB" group that just moves around Japan like a Broadway troupe.

Entertaining vrs Being a Spectator....

I often wonder what goes on in Paruru's head - to have grown up watching Idols - then to become a peer to the girl you used to watch on the other side of the screen. Paruru has seen "How the sausage is made" and knows many of the ugly or hidden things we will never know about AKB- YET, she soldiers on for her own reasons.

What if she hates the new songs? What if she's Bored by the old ones? Paruru likes being an Entertainer because she sees it from a "spectators perspective" as opposed to a vanity or ego driven person who needs to be "Liked" for just being themselves. In both these cases the Music is STILL the Vehicle - it still matters

7. aratafuru

aratafuru Kenkyuusei

Also, wouldn't it be kinda uber creepy if a bunch of ojisans went to the theater every day just to ogle young Japanese girls just standing there doing nothing. :^^;:

8. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    I use the term "Western fans" because despite we're mostly all speaking English here - many people on here are NOT from America. Speaking or using "English" doesn't automatically imply you're from an English speaking country even. I use the term "Western Fans" because the motivation or mindset behind what a poster chooses to say (and How they say it) often comes from "Cultural Perspectives".

Eastern fans have an entirely different mind-set about was is popular & acceptable or cool on everything from junk food snacks to fashion to TV shows. If I say "Western Fans"- I'm basically singling out everyone who is NOT from an "Eastern Culture" (or Spent time living there)- Also, Western people I've come across tend to view Idols & the Industry (IN MY OPINION!- as a Westerner) from the lens of "what is the norm" or acceptable in Hollywood or a related industry.
    For example - if you ever use a "Social Justice" argument or trope to validate a point about why Idol "A" got dissed or Idol "B" gets a push for whatever- You're an Idiot. Why? Because the "Social Justice" arguments are NULL & Void because that's not how the Japanese see themselves or conduct business in society. Similar to the idea of "Everyone gets a Trophy" for participating - That doesn't exist in Japan. You're using Western "culture" to justify a POV - when you really should learn Japan does things it's OWN Way.

It's weird - Westerners like to call themselves "Otaku" in Anime communities because it's kind of 'cool' to be "Geek" savvy in the West (now anyway)...yet, you have Otaku's having to HIDE their hobby in Japan because it's not "socially cool" (except w/ other Otakus). My interest in Idols & Anime makes me "interesting" at work....in Japan, I'd be a "Creepy".

JAPANESE sub fans are known as "Purists" in Western Anime circles- Maybe it's why Idols never took off in America...NO English Subs?? No one dubs Japanese Pop songs or TV shows- lol.

9. Minowa Natsuki

Minowa Natsuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    For the AKB48SHOW performance, somehow Kojiharu's voice is more prominent than both Annin n Mayuyu[hehe] As for the SNH performance, I like their choreography! How I wish AKB can do the same :( The performance with the graduates was mesmerizing!(especially Yuko lol) and surprisingly Sae was there XD She joined the other Kamis :p

10. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    I've noticed that Nyan has been doing a lot of really good live singing, here lately :) go her!

Also... I really hope this next single is a Mayu center. I've missed her! She's been nearly invisible for the last couple singles :-/ And she even got shafted from NogiAKB.

She couldn't possibly hope to win SSK ever again, sadly enough. Sasshi is unbeatable.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  11. trxsh

trxsh Member

Sae was just there as a senbatsu member haha, she graduates on 4/1.

This is a pretty good summary :1st:

People comment on how senbatsu isn't picked based on talent etc, but I think success in AKB (or any 48) is based on overall appeal and making people want to support you. And actually support, not just say "___ should be in senbatsu because I hate ___". If being talented alone made people popular in the group then for eg Karen's push wouldn't have flopped (subunits, documentary feature, media senbatsu). Nao and Rion from SKE are easily two of the most musically talented performers in all of 48g but their pushes only took off when they started fishing fans and getting lots of gravure photoshoots (mostly in Nao's case since Rion is just getting started in that department). They are idols after all.

I'm interested in who will center the next single as well, it won't be Sakura since it's already been made clear that they're not choosing a stagnant center so I guess I won't get my Sakura Mion center T-T

12. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  13. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    I'm up for any girl for center, bonus points if she's new gen. Except, no more SG solo centers, Kennin or not. I'd be cheering for even an Annin center if it means the center goes to both an AKB only member and a young member. My money's on Miion please let it be Miion. A Mayuyu is fine, though.

14. plomeplome

plomeplome Upcoming Girls

Mion is a good choice considering her momentum and stuff

15. Minowa Natsuki

Minowa Natsuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Oh really? I thought that was for Team K anniversary theater show lol:oops:

I'd also want AKB member to become the Center for the next single but looking at the trend, it might be Jurina Center Senbatsu. Since KR, Sakura, Paruru & Jurina have been at the front and also the center. some exceptions are :
    1. green flash (old gen favoured - still Young gen Top3)
    2. halloween night (sousenkyo result)
    3. kuchibiru ni be my baby (takamina "last" single so she centered it - 3 of them still sing their line together)
    Then comes Kimi wa Melody, where Sakura became the center. So Im expecting Jurina next (´▽`)But I still wish it will be a YuiParu Center [hehe]

16. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Nah, it'll be Annin and the world will burn. :D

17. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    YuiParu brings me warm and fuzzy feelings but I wonder if Paruru would want to center in the first place ;w;

18. nathan_drake

nathan_drake Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I don't think they will take the risk to make Miion as center, maybe just as front girls same as Renacchi (BwT). but if they choose new face, I have a feeling they will choose Renacchi. She's in the front row in BwT+Team B/4 center, so now is the time for her to be senbatsu center.

19. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

AKB48's 43rd Single (Kimi Wa Melody) (1st Week Sales)
    Week 1:
    1,237,891 (1st)

20. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    Those numbers are very good, but you guys may want to look further than just the tree that hides the forest.
    They sold "only" 104,712 in the days after release. There were far better in the past.

Add to that, the management multiplies the gimmicks to sell the single, more girls (so more handshake slots), more versions (11), more songs, more photos, more events, etc .... all these to get the same result as before.
    Also, this time no one sold out all their slots in the 1st round and not that much after (handshakes sales looks between stable and slight reduction)
    All these extra marketting gimmicks are not free, so their beneficial margin is not increasing, I'd even say it keeps slimming despite all these efforts.
    I'd have some worries about the 48 groups future if their incomes from sales keeps shrinking.

Are the soundscan numbers available ?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016