Suto Ririka (Riripon) / Draft 1st Generation

Discussion in 'NMB48 Graduated Members' started by mav48, Mar 19, 2014.

1. af8!

af8! Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    But what I don't understand is why having a controversial character justifies her actions. If that's the case should we tell people that are known for being jerks that it is okay to continue being jerks because we know that's their personality? Do we give them a free pass? The point of criticism is to use that on work on what you're being called out for; when someone is being a jerk we tell them that's not okay hoping that they'll reflect and learn from that. Should those with yankee characters be allowed to bully other members because it's their character?

She did something "controversial" so we say it's cool? No one else has been as controversial as you Riripon, so of course we shouldn't even try to judge your actions in a similar manner as them.

That's not right. She should reflect on what she did, good or bad.

2. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

I'd be really surprised, as newborns are usually already outside [hehe]

--

Been following idols since the '90s on and off, so seen a few scandals during H!P's golden era and beyond. One thing idols seem to do consistently when faced with a partner they want to sacrifice their careers for... is pick really piss-poorly :fp:. Look at Yaguchi Mari, the archetype for the heart-on-sleeve, painfully-bad reader of human (well, male Japanese, anyway) nature. But in all fairness, in the same group... there's Iida Kaori (happily married after grad); and Mikitty -- in with comedian Shouji Tomoharu, and had to resign her leadership -- but is also now happily married with brats. But it's Mikitty's case that shows precedent for Riripon's...

For the backlash and her steadfast refusal to end the relationship, she had to resign as leader of Momosu... but was allowed to work nearly two years as a member of GAM, her side group -- under contract, without any repercussions. When she announced her engagement to Shouji, it was only then that she graduated.

The context for why this happened like it did, in a much more conservative time in idol history... is also due to idols who refused to bear the yoke of RKJ (namely Aibon and Mari). When their constant shens headlined the usual rags (and into legit news many times), I feel Mikitty's age, and her strong-willed 'kyara', sort of caused what's called in political jargon, the Decoy Effect -- getting people to accept the less attractive of two choices by introducing a third even-worse choice -- and simple outrage fatigue, a la Drumpf (back then, your enta career was assumed done if you were involved in a scandal and dismissed). But perhaps these incidents, like now and eternally, while RKJ is in place... caused mgmt to reconsider, since firing an established idol that pulls huge profits, hurts the bottom line immediately, and puts that idol's talents out of reach. Lots of effort to recoup losses and strain resources, blah blah. They let Mikitty off the hook... and unsurprisingly, they didn't have to do as much work.

AKS has the luxury of learning from UFA's lessons... so it's no surprise again that Aki-P is a lot more lassez-faire when it comes to hardlining RKJ, esp if it doesn't kill sales. When you think about all this with the context of past idols incidents as well as Sasshi's, Milky's, Miichan's, and Yukirin's handling... then Riripon's straightforwardness doesn't seem so arrogant... rather it just plays out as a poor hand she was dealt given her decision to defy RKJ (and beat SKBS to the punch, which made me very happy:hehe:)... and that's how it played out.

Anyone who says she did it all this way, at SSK, was arrogant and selfish and full-stop... simply doesn't seem to consider the situation as carefully as she did. She went to mgmt as soon as she suspected SKBS was involved. That alone shows enough courtesy to mgmt; she didn't have to tell anyone, could simply hide and ride like many others. She discussed scenarios that could possibly limit damage to both her side (her partner and her career/reputation), and AKS's in the tabloids and on social media, when the mgmt was already dealing with the botched weather read sloppy contingency.

What happens going forward is key. AKS has the Mikitty precedent -- will they decide similarly? I suppose reading whether or not it'll affect profit, is the answer.

3. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    I want to take a selfish view: what does it do to me and those I like?

I like Kojimako. If Riripon stays, will Makochan get fewer votes and rank down? She did that this year before any of this happened. If it happens again, it won't be because Riripon in still in AKBGroup. In fact, if the love ban becomes an under 20 love ban so that adult members can date, I am all for Kojimako getting to date now that she is 20.

I like Miki. Yes, she had to graduate, but if Riripon is allowed to stay, maybe Miki can apply for reinstatement. Her odds can only be better with Riripon still in AKBGroup.

I like summer bikini singles. I remember that Riripon was in one of those. Maybe if they keep her, we can get another.

Maybe you like someone who would like to date. Do you want the rules loosened up or kept as they are? Riripon staying in can't make the love ban rule any tighter.

What I do worry about is the finances of the group, but that is not something I am able to decide. It is up to management to decide if the group is better off with or without her.

4. Silverheart48

Silverheart48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I saw NMB (More specifically, Lemon), doing a beach shoot weeks before SSK.

No riripon doesn't mean no Mizugi MVs does it?

5. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

Whoa back up lol
    So let me get this straight. This guy, without money, fame, or power, was able to get one of the top members of a 48g sister group to quit her career at the height of it, and marry him. Literally every idol fan's dream. And you are going to make fun of him???? Really!? Really?!? Damn.... You must really be living the life of private jets, ferraris, dom perignon, and beautiful famous women left and right to be able to look down on this guy :rofl:

Ok, jokes aside. Let's be really honest. 99% of the men on this forum, and in Japan, are jealous as f*ck right now.
    If your oshi's best friend or sister came up to you right now and said:

"hey ____, (your oshi) is really, really in love with you! Actually, she wants to get married, and live with you for the rest of her life!! Not only that, she loves you so much she wants to quit her idol career right now just for you! So, what will you do?? Will you marry her"

Is your answer really gonna be:

"Actually.... hmm.... You know what? I really care about the image of AKB and the 48g within the general public. Even though she wants to get married to me, and even though she's in love with me, and even though we will be having passionate sex every night for decades... I just can't put that much damage on AKB!! Sorry! But I'm a fan of the group, and there are rules!"

Yea... no. All of you acting like this can f*ck right off. Every last one of you is wishing you were this guy right now. And so am I.
    This guy was able to get an idol to quit her entire career (at the height of it) and marry him, without anything that your typical matsumura sayuri-type of gold-diggers look for (money, fame, power).

He should be bowed down to by us mere mortals. :worthy: :rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 3
  6. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Frick I'm dying, translated 2 hours for this one Q__Q

https://www.nikkansports.com/entertainment/akb48/news/1843948-2.html

Open to correction

- What kind of genre will you continue your activity then? Academic or talent?

Generally speaking there are a lot of ways. I can't say it out loud now since I don't know what will happen in the future.

- Is there any plans like going to university?

Yes, personally speaking.

- You didn't phase out (the possibility) of talent activities

Soudesu-ne. To make my dream reachable there is that option too.

- You have a dream to fulfill is because you are in the entertainment industry

During my time with the group till now I have been given the chance to put out my philosophy book

- You joined the group because you love AKB but you don't regret by "being proposed and to graduate"

I love this group but I would like to treat it as a NMB activity instead of just an idol activity. I want to make NMB fun with everyone, and now is a very crucial time period (for the group), so I am very...very (sobbing). There was always been the conflict inside me "Since you fell in love then why don't just graduate." that would be the obvious thing to do. But I also didn't want to just let go and throw away my activity (as a member), I mean this too. I don't have regrets for my idol life but for my memories in NMB, and the bonds with my fans, I do.

- You are from Tokyo and your family is there. If it was in Osaka I think your mother would be worried. Was that included in the option

My mother's presence? No I thought of it myself.

- Which member did you consult from?

I didn't consult directly with them

- Who did you talk to after the announcement?

All the NMB members who stayed in the hotel that day. I also talked and greeted with my senpais the next day during the shooting. It was apology, to my senpais. To my fellow colleagues I told all my thoughts to them such as the things (we talked about) now.

- How were their reactions

Since I didn't tell anyone about it, in the midst of the members thought it was a joke or some kind of skid (to make the environment fun) during my speech. Since the Sousenkyou itself was occurring without any audience so the members thought they were (supporting me) in lighten up the atmosphere. They were criticized by a lot of voices after that. And seeing them getting heavily beaten up by it, I truly apologized (to them). But the members didn't blame me for it and heard me out all the way.

- Did you talk with Yamamoto Sayaka-san

Yes, we talked. She said I have already made up my mind and following through the path is the only way so from now I have be faithful to my belief and use my own judgement (on things). I said to her that "I want to take up some responsibility" but she replied with "Don't need to think about it"

- I feel like you got everyone to support you

The situation is more like no one knows what to do, and I think the members had a lot of mixed feelings. What's next? Nobody knows. The captains were also worried about it. So I felt like I wanted to have a chance to talk with all the members again

- The shock the fans took was also a great deal. Any words for them

Truly, truly even though I am in idol activities, my actions are not idol-like but the fans were still supportive of me. Really, really I love them all and I know I have hurt them a lot. But the me that I have brought myself towards the days spent being with the fans was not all a lie. From now on, there will be hurt and more hurt, as well being criticized and hated on is already inevitable but to me, I will definitely not forget the fans who have supported me all the way until now and pursuit my dream to come true. I will keep on going.

- I am not sure the time when you got proposed but if you got proposed then did you not thought about of not participating in Sousenkyou

I am really serious about both (relationship and work) there was not really an option for me to retire (from SSK). In order to pump up the event(in a good way) the thought of participating got stronger.

- At that time you haven't got proposed

We already had the same thought (of getting married)

- The person who made the proposal was a male

Yes

- Any ring or like that

I haven't received one

- You were planning to get married directly

Before that. As I fell for the person I like then I thought about graduation. But I also wanted to participate in group activities. I couldn't just let it go like that. Since I was raised by the group and I love it so much. Therefore I couldn't just cut the ties. But I was serious about both (relationship and work)

- So what was it that made you falling in love for the time

I don't know. When we first met I thought I would like this person. But I wasn't too sure about that "like feeling". But now I love him which I think that "this is what it is like to be in love".

- So it is something that isn't philosophy right. you couldn't explain your feelings by philosophy

Philosophic explanation right...but it isn't because Philosophy was cool that made me like it. I like it because I liked it. Reversely if I am to use philosophy to read a love story I couldn't explain it as well.

- It's not that you are pregnant right

Right, I am not.

- Was the love ban in your mind

This is my personal opinion about the love ban but I recognized that it was left to my own judgment.

*Note: some question are really random and some of Riripon's answer were as random as it is too

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. broz0rs

broz0rs Next Girls

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    uhh.. I think he meant the other way around? He's making fun of Riripon for settling with a potentially broke guy. I mean if he's making fun of idols settling with poor people, idols marrying rich and famous people would deserve praise?

I mean I had the greatest crush ever on actress Ueto Aya a few years back and when I found out she was marrying Hiro, it took me a minute, but I was happy for her to be marrying one of the most powerful men in music and that she'll be set for life. Riripon giving up her career and shafting her fans all for a twonk is pretty pathetic imho

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kiri

Kiri Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    岡田奈々 / 손채영
  9. FuuFuuFuu

FuuFuuFuu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yagurafuuko
    Can confirm I am jelly and mirin immensely. It is all the more impressive that he was able to snag her without the lure of money or fame, but solely through his efforts and how he treated her. Also must be an ace in bed for her to want to marry and snag him up in under a year.

I think Riripon made a bad 48G career decision, but a better life decision. 25 yo in medical field is like doing residency right? Seems like Riripon is in it for the long haul. It seems unlikely he would give her up for another non-idol-tier girl, compared to a richer older partner that has access to other girls and more leverage in the relationship.

10. Silverheart48

Silverheart48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    Didn't get the memo either hahas.

Honestly, and no one else speaks for me except myself, if I'm a real idol fan and this idol's been wanting to get into my pants... graduate first. Save us the trouble of SKBS. If she's legit honest and sincere, she can go about screwing me like rabbits after graduation.

11. alohano

alohano Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

This mere moral worships the ground he walks on.

Mgmt should get a few hundred more Xxxxx, Yyyyy, etc....and spread them out among the sister groups... not NGT, they have more than enough. No scandals. They can save a few bucks not producing Summer mizugi MV's too. But they will revel in their pristine idol group image. Watch the corporate partnerships explode based on this improved image...NOT.

Get members that make magazines burn off the shelves (Riripon), deal with a little controversy and take it to the bank....Akimoto does this deftly, especially with the shiten. The rest, I can only guess and most of AKB, is the ideal imagery that suits the wotas profile. He's an absolute genius.

12. tenjikujin

tenjikujin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    murayamayuiri
  13. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    The problem with this argument is that it's not that they used to punish girls for dating scandals and now they have stopped. It is that it seems to be implied that Ririka shouldn't be punished just because she's Ririka. Like she's somehow special and above the rules. There has been no statement or indication that the general love ban rule has been changed or that other girls won't continue to be punished in the future.

14. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

This is wrong, because we have no evidence that management has ever told a girl to graduate/step down/etc. The only times we have ever seen management openly take action were in transferring Sasshi to HKT and pulling scandals out of single senbatsus. The rest have all been spun as the girl herself taking responsibility for her own actions. Whether management actually punished these past girls or not is up for debate, but without evidence we only have the girls' words that it was their own decision to graduate/step down/etc.

The difference here is that Riripon admitted to being in a relationship while in NMB and even announced that she agreed to marry the guy...at a major event where thousands of fans spent thousands of dollars on her, no less. She has been caught and admitted to doing what scandal girls in the past have done. However, while they removed themselves from the group or took great pains to show their self-reflection to the fans, Ririka is comparatively unapologetic about her breach of idol etiquette.

See, we are not comparing thieves who used to get their hands chopped off versus thieves who now only get a small fine. Instead, the analogy should be more like someone who has committed a crime and exiles herself in repentance versus someone who has committed a crime and simply goes about her business like nothing happened. The focus is not on justice being brought to someone by another party, but rather someone recognizing her own wrongdoing and bringing herself to justice for her own mistakes; a much more introspective and meaningful action than being punished by someone else. The expectation that a transgressor of the unwritten "idol code" will take action to reflect on her mistakes and - if she chooses to stay in the group - possibly be forgiven by the fans who spend money on her has so far been nearly unwavering. And so I think much of the buzz about Riripon's marriage announcement is less for the fact that she's getting married and more for the fact that the handling of her announcement has not adhered to this self-flagellation expectation that fans have.

I haven't read the whole interview so I don't know if she's actually announced graduation. (If she has, all of this might be moot). I'm not saying what Riripon did and how she's handling it is wrong or right. I'm only saying that if she managed to announce marriage without concurrently announcing graduation, she's not carrying out the self-justice that has always been demanded by idol fans of scandal girls, and if she's going to avoid doing that and still manage to continue her idol career almost as if nothing happened, then it's a damn shame that so many other idols have chosen to cut their careers short when clearly they could have just stuck around.

So here it is a matter of integrity we're talking about, rather than one strictly of punishment.

15. Konno A.

Konno A. Future Girls

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    She pulled a Yamaguchi Momoe...now she'll come out of hiding to shade Ririka just for shits and giggles lolol.

On a complete side-note: isn't this kind of a nice feminist-moment tho? Like an idol who can continue even tho she's planning to be married isn't hindered by her company at all technically. On top of that she made these decisions essentially by herself and doesn't see a reason to stop working and just pop out a kid any time soon. Like she still has goals in life that aren't motherhood related and maybe that's a good sign forward. Just a small after-thought. I honestly don't give her that much credit, but it's something I thought about recently. There is feminist-philosophy out there (I actually took a course in my university called that) and I think Ririka would be interested to read some stuff on that subject; it suits her certain condition right now.

on an idol-related note: Yoshimoto will keep her and give her work it seems while she's hot so good for her there too lol~

16. alohano

alohano Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Then where is the punishment, management admonition? If there are rules, standards, principles that Riripon fan afoul of, where is she held accountable?

In the absence of such, all these long "shoulda, woulda" posts are an exercise in futility.... which brings a smile to my face. You're not getting an apology and she's not reflecting on squat. Where's the rule? Mgmt gave a day off to a member not named Suto... BWAAHAAA.

Who's integrity is hanging in the balance? Riripon? Mgmt?

If there's a Summer NMB MV, I sure as hell hope she's in it.... and mgmt is very aware of that fact.

17. unwanted

unwanted Kenkyuusei

1. I want to see pics of this guy and his apartment since you all talk about it.
    2. If they planned to get married in the beginning of the year, after she graduates, why did she not say she is graduating? Makes no sense unless it's for the attention.
    3. If there is no ring and no plan to get married in the near future, she is essentially just dating. Watch her break up and blame it on the media attention.

18. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    I need a drink...some of these questions are getting boring and repetitive :|

https://www.nikkansports.com/entertainment/akb48/news/1843948-3.html

Open to correction

- Regarding the Idol Dating Theory, do you know there is a debate going on in society

My opinion? For me...I..., like being an idol, even when times I don't know why I like being one, to try your best and work hard for the group is busy enough to not think about dating. But after falling in love with someone, I become to think that "Is Love that holds back under the love ban is not true love".

- In your book there is also a line like that. You are not wrong by your own philosophy

But this time there was a lot of factors to cause such an commotion. I have my own stance and the people who support me as well. Eventually I couldn't do anything about falling in love (with someone) so it was really a hard decision.

- If the criticism from the graduated members was normal then it would be a shock

I have always really loved to watch this group, (by doing things) with my own selfishness, I have spilled water into wine of the stage that the senpai's have built. I humbly apologize for that.

- I didn't think the reaction was going to be like that (intense)

But I was determined to receive any kind of criticism. It's not like I didn't think about that but I didn't think too much over than that.

- No mater what people say won't break you you mean

Yes. I have always been speaking for myself in my activities up till now

- The whole Sousenkyo was unbearable for you since you really wanted to announce it

Yes

- In the end when did you decide to say it

If I wanted to say it, I want to say it from myself. The option to not say it is not limited to that place. I have consulted a lot of people before I made the desicion. Also there were people whom I consulted till the last minute. Discussed about things that were consulted and confirming things with various people.

- You have greeted the parent's of your partner

No. Both my parents and my partner's parents knew and allowed us to date with the presupposition of us getting married (afterwards) but they didn't know I would announce it in that place.

- During the dating period, your whole family was supportive (*This one is pretty hard to translate, but the reporter was asking if her family treated the dude like one in their family. So yeah when you date seriously in Japan, you have to date with their family too)

Yes, they were.

- When there will be the formal greeting

Not formal but my partner will tell them for me

- So are you engaged

I made a promise

- What kind of family will you build up

I think a very happy one

19. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    ^ nah, typical korean drama arcs. :rolleyes:

Also what the hell guys...Riripon has already announced graduation (Just no time date) what are you guys even arguing about :huh:

20. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    You really should've done, it would've spared you the effort of writing such a long-winded rant, based on the wrongful assumption that she has no intention to graduate or is showing defiance toward other people's feelings. If anything, like I said, it was actually the management that came forward with the proposal to let her stay, but by the looks of it she decided to decline nonetheless.

Other than that:
    - Sashihara's transfer was not a punishment. It should be obvious, but you don't punish someone by putting her at the lead of a newly-formed group and giving her paraoh-like powers, thus overshadowing the whole 1st gen with her presence in the process. Simply put, it was a farce that was part of the years-long push she had been receiving since 2010. In reality, Sashihara never got rebuked for it. Quoting the Yasusu himself:
    https://gqjapan.jp/culture/bma/20130125/2013akb48
    - Since there aren't any clean-cut rules, every member only plays by the rules set by their own character. It makes sense that if scandal hit, say, a fisher character whose mantra is "I have no boyfriends but my fans, me love you long time", or a preacher of absolute purity like Mayuyu, they would be forced into career suicide and endless self-penitence, without getting a chance to personally explain their circumstances. Why? Only because they acted against what is expected of their character, and as such it's inexcusable. On the other hand, a character like Riripon who never indulged in such fan-pandering, and has shown to be above and beyond this idol model, would never receive the same sort of backlash and would even be allowed a degree of freedom to speak out and state her reasons, even by virtue of the fact that she surely has a way with words.

- "Self-flagellation expected by fans"? Who are you speaking on behalf of with this sentence? I don't see you having Riripon as an oshimen, so...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1