Project SUB48 subtitles thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by ET920, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ET920

ET920 Member

Decided to turn this thread into the official release thread for our group [party]

--Original post--
    Title: Translation effort

So, after some discussion with people at the AKB48 tracker, I think it is time to get a translation team for the AKB48 tracker. I know it is hard and usually they crash when the translators retire, but it is worth a shoot. The idea is to gauge the possibilities we have to start something like this (we know there is demand), to see how many people are interested in participating and donate their free time to get this done.

Anyone interested can go to the thread at the tracker. If you don't have an account there, just create one (if you have problems creating, just tell me, since we are limiting now to one account per IP due idiots creating leeching accounts).

Contrary to previous efforts that were usually born and died within a community, I want to contact the whole AKB48 fandom, not only the tracker and this forum, but also the other main trackers and forums. So, it is likely you will see this post repeated in other forums. There is much talk about translations, so let's see how many are actually up for something this big.

I don't think this should be considered a spam message, since the goal is clear and in benefit of every AKB48 fan. Also, while discussion about whether this will work or not, pros and contras, and whether to join or not can be held here, I would appreciate if the actual serious discussion (timetables, software, etc) could be held in the thread I posted. I am kind of tired of finding lots of willing people to help but none actually organizing such an effort. While I don't have a background in fansubbing, I have over 5 years helping organize programming teams at work, including analysis and design, and setting one up shouldn't be harder if everyone is serious about the task.

And besides, if this fails, it would be nice to actually point to a thread showing that such an attempt has been made when someone new asks about why there is no weekly translations [evil]

2. ET920

ET920 Member

Re: Translation effort

I know double posting is usually bad, and also know that a thread for only one person should not be allowed, but I think people would be interested in how goes the recruitment (and may encourage others to join us).

So far, one user from the AKB48 tracker and one user from H!O have offered help to translate. Both are JLPT2 level, and should be able to work without Japanese subtitles. There is also a user from D-Addicts who says she can help as well translating. And there is another user at the AKB48 tracker who mentioned someone close to him could translate for us, being a native.

We also have several people willing to do the QA check, and a few timers. Contrary to what I expected, timers are harder to come by [wonder]

One of the translators is starting with the 110105 AKBINGO! episode by himself, while another is testing with 110107 Shuukan AKB. That should show people around that we are doing something serious.

In total, around 15 persons are offering their help, and this is just a few hours after asking for help, far more than what I expected. We will continue accepting help, since four translators mean a lot of timing and QA required. I can't guess how many people would be in the project once we start in full force, and I also know managing large groups is never easy, but as long as each keeps sight of the goal and we keep organized and respect each other, we should manage.

I will keep everyone updated, maybe one update per day. Right now it is important to let everyone know things are advancing (faster as is right now, or slower, doesn't matter as long as we continue advancing).

3. ET920

ET920 Member

Triple posting for the daily update (either everyone here is very shy, or don't believe in this project [wonder] [notme])

We currently have 28 members (approximately 7 full translators (who can work from audio itself), 5 translators (who prefer working from Japanese subtitles, but can eventually do it from audio itself with some help), 8 timers, and 5 QA and 3 timer/QA). We also count with two Japanese native who can transcribe some sections for us, plus one of the full translators can transcribe as well.

110107 Shuukan AKB has been translated, and now it is being timed (50% done), while translation for 110105 AKBINGO! is underway. We already have assigned a translator for this week's AKBINGO! and Mousou Deka (the new SKE48 dorama).

For now we are still meeting at the AKB48 tracker forums, but we are already setting up FTP, a forum and a wiki. The IRC channel is already working (#SUB48@irc.rizon.net).

It has been a pretty busy weekend, but I think it has been really productive. I have posted similar requests in several places (Nihongogo, Stage48, H!O, Jpopsuki, D-Addicts, JPH!P, and asked people to help posting similar requests in other sites) and have found people interested in helping everywhere. This week we will start for serious. While subs may take a while to be finished, and may have some problems, I am sure we will become better as time advances.

Thanks for the support!

4. sillythings

sillythings Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sillythings48

Thanks for gathering the troops. Looking forward to it!

saving IRC channel...

5. Genie

Genie Kenkyuusei

I'm having problems making an account on the site, I am interested in being a Timer.

6. aakun

aakun Kenkyuusei

im around N3. i dont really want to take more time in the pc (>.>) and im really busy with mafia right now, but i'd like to help when i finish with mafia.

not for translating, but i guess i can do a pretty good QC with my level (noticing if lines were wrongly placed etc). so count with me.

oh. and i love design and stuff so i totally wouldnt mind doing typesetting (id love to, actually <3).

7. ET920

ET920 Member

If you are getting a "maximum amount of users reached" or similar, it is because there is already an account created from your IP address. Same happened to someone else. If you haven't, I will talk with rpger81 to see if he can lift the ban for a while to let you sign.

You can also head to the IRC channel to see what is going on.

8. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48

Glad to see it's the real deal. I was a bit sceptical because half the time a thread about forming a subbing group is usually "I'm willing to do (simple job that anyone can do) who wants to translate?!?!"... [hehe]

9. Llewella

Llewella Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki

Things seem to move fast, that's good.
    I, actually, do not have enough free time to help with this kind of things, but I will maybe have a bit more time in a few months. I would then propose help with translations as I do not have technical skills and speak only average English.

Anyway, good luck.

10. ET920

ET920 Member

Well, we are searching for someone to do a logo for us (and beautify the Twitter page).

Just drop there once you got time.

Guessed as much. Well, I just did that, didn't I? [wonder] But this time it looks to be working ;) There is a difference between waiting for people to join and going out to look for them. I may be a new AKB48 fan, but I got some experience in community projects.

To become a leader, you just need to see to where the people are walking and put yourself in front. I just called for those that wanted to walk in the same direction as me, which as I hoped were many ;) I showed them that we all shared the same goal. I didn't expect so many to join (now I am fearing the whole project will crumble because we are growing too fast without first polishing our methods and our infrastructure). I will do my best to prevent the entire project from disappearing, but if that happens, at least I tried [rock]

11. IndigoSkies

IndigoSkies Kenkyuusei

Looks like you have a lot of people already, but I'd be willing to help out translating if you need it ^^ I don't know what JLPT level I'm at since I've never looked at that, but I've been translating the Watarirouka blog for a while. I'd be better translating from Japanese subtitles, but I can try from audio as well?
    I love the idea of translating AKB stuff, so I'd love to help out as much as possible :D

12. ET920

ET920 Member

Sure! Just present yourself in that thread, and we will find you a spot. If you got room to give us a little free publicity (as Aiky did), it would also help us (a couple of helpers came after reading his message there).

13. moyism

moyism Kenkyuusei

Well our first release is out!

SHUKAN AKB 11.01.07 @ http://www.mediafire.com/?xtneyauvb7vgkvw

Much thanks to ET for starting "ProjectSUB48" and the following folks over at akbtracker:

- keiner for 1st half translation
    - kevinamadeus for 2nd half translation & general timing
    - spike287 for timing
    - mizuyoukan QA & timing
    - moyism QA
    - naruse QA

Hopefully our releases will get tighter as we get a more unified method going on but for a first time attempt, personally I think it came out OK :D

14. ain12

ain12 Kenkyuusei

Thanks so much! I always appreciate any subtitles so seriously, thank you very much. :D

15. kyohiros

kyohiros Kenkyuusei

Keep up the hard work guys!!! I wish my japanese would have been better to be able to help you guys :(

Btw, how can you find the japanese subtitles for AKBINGO? I never know they got japanese subtitles from them [think]

16. GenkiKoala

GenkiKoala Kenkyuusei

Woohoo! This motivates me to catch up on several months of akb shows :D .

17. ET920

ET920 Member

They can only be extracted from the TV stream. When someone dumps the stream into a ts file, if the transmission had subtitles (which I believe most have) and the ts file has not been stripped, it can be "opened" with special programs to see what is inside. Sometimes there are several audio and video layers, including a subtitle layer.

18. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

hello.
    On the new drama thread, I've offered to sub it but I've been told your group already claimed it for subbing.
    Is it so? if it is, need a translator? if not, is it okay if I recruit "tech support" people (timers, typesetters etc) to sub it? I really don't want to step on anyone's feet.

The reason why I haven't stepped up to join your group is that I don't think I have enough commitment for a group, but I'd definitely do it if just for this drama, so let me know. Thanks!

19. aakun

aakun Kenkyuusei

ok i decided that i want to be part of this! =D but since there are a lot of timers already, i'd like to help with all the design related stuff if needed. (including typesetting as i said before)

i heard you guys were going to do the new ske drama and i'd like to help with that. is there any place you guys have with updates and stuff? because the first post in the track doesn't have any links to a blog or something.

20. microsheep

microsheep Kenkyuusei

Congrats for your first sub!! And of course, thanks a lot !

So via twitter it is going to be the easiest to follow you up =)?