Project SUB48 subtitles thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by ET920, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chiyuki

chiyuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    Re: Translation effort

Wow! I didn't even realize that you guys released something. Congrats! And thank you so much! I'll be looking forward to your releases. :) Much appreciated! Will all releases be posted under this thread? What will be the easiest way to follow you?

2. ET920

ET920 Member

Mousou Deka episode 1 released. Took us a while, but the process was much cleaner than last time. In some weeks we should be able to do it faster and better.

Congrats to all those listed in the page. Since the subtitles themselves don't have group credits, it would be nice if you would share the forum post instead of the subtitle itself, to give those who helped what is due to them.

3. GenkiKoala

GenkiKoala Kenkyuusei

Thanks for the hard work!

4. suki-gin

suki-gin Kenkyuusei

Thank you for the hard work. Your efforts are sincerely appreciated~ [party]

5. chanchiv48

chanchiv48 Kenkyuusei

thanks for the hard work people!!! :)
    there is something i wanna ask....whr cn i download mousou deka???cnt find it..><

6. Llewella

Llewella Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    You can find the ep at H!O.

7. DSQ

DSQ Kenkyuusei

Thank you very much!!

8. ET920

ET920 Member

We redid the 110107 Shuukan AKB subtitle, since it was the very first and came out too fast (missing signs, with some typos and errors, bad timing, etc). This one is how it should have been. I wanted the previous one to come fast out to give both those inside the project and those outside it a sliver of hope that we were in for something great. I believe it worked, since the group is maturing and getting to understand what is all this about better.

And the subtitle for the Documentary of AKB48 - The future 1mm ahead released. While we had the translation and timing done pretty fast, we spent a lot of time QA'ing this. There are probably some errors around, but personally it is the cleanest release we have had. in the name of Project SUB48, I hope you enjoy it :)

Again, no attachments so that we are able to (roughly) estimate the amount of downloads. Statistics are very important during the beginning of the project when your previous records was 0 in everything. We will eventually share the subs via torrent, but for now, I kindly request everyone to link to the forum page instead of sharing the subtitle directly. Thanks!

9. suki-gin

suki-gin Kenkyuusei

Thank you for you efforts on this project! <3 It's a pretty speedy release too~
    Still 'getting' the documentary right now silly 70% won't move, will watch this sometime today hopefully.

10. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48

Thanks for all the subs [party]

Ok, one thing I don't get... you guys translated the "sponsored" message (something that I don't think any sub group has ever bothered translating ever [hehe] ) but didn't translate "mousou"? Could I just suggest you make a note what that sort of thing means, because otherwise some of the dialogue is meaningless...

eg
    "and within half a year resolved the case of the thieving ring using excellent mousou"
    "I will solve this case with mousou!"

If the viewer doesn't know "mousou" means like "wild ideas", then the lines don't mean anything. "Mousou" could be a bowl of icecream or a robot from the year 3000 or a monkey wearing a tuxedo for all they know. (I'd love to see a drama about a monkey wearing a tuxedo solving crime, but I digress)

I don't mean to tell a sub group how to do their job or anything, but just ask that you keep the non-Japanese-speakers in mind, since they're the ones who need the subs the most [hehe]

11. ET920

ET920 Member

It was one of those decisions sub groups take that leave everyone else thinking "Uh?" :p There are certain words we won't be translating, and we take as "granted", like senbatsu, bentou, janken, etc. Early in the translation we decided that mousou was going to be one of them. We could say it is a marketing plot, to force people go back to our forum to ask (and indirectly, thank) :D Moral support is important, and some members will only realize what they are achieving when they see so many different people thanking in the forum.

12. ET920

ET920 Member

First hardcode release, the PV for Sakura no Ki ni Narou. We haven't yet defined our typesetting guideline, so it will likely change in the future. You can download it from AKB48 tracker, H!O and DDL sites (check the release page for those).

13. ET920

ET920 Member

Triple post!

110114 SHUKAN AKB released. It is much easier to release Shuukan than AKBINGO! for those wondering. Credits to all the people who participated, and again, don't share the subtitles if possible, just point to our forum post.

14. Genie

Genie Kenkyuusei

Thank you so much for the subtitles!
    I think hard-subbing your subtitles could be the only way to avoid people stealing the subtitles
    Just wondering: How come AKBINGO! is much harder to subtitle?

15. ET920

ET920 Member

There will always be people who will steal, and people who will make profit with them. It is like wanting to stop rain. With enough advertisement and word of mouth, we will become big enough for most viewers to know we are the source for all those translations. Two groups asked for permission to sub our subs, I gave them those, but didn't reply. Someone translated the AKB48 docu to Spanish, and someone wants to translate that to Vietnamese. We will eventually start putting credits in subs, but for now I think worrying about people stealing us is the least concern.

And AKBINGO! has quite a lot more signs than the other TV programs. Whereas most (like Shuukan) have signs about what they are talking about (for example, a girl may be saying "I feel like I have failed" and the onscreen text shows "Failure", in this case we don't translate since it doesn't add anything to what the girl is saying), AKBINGO! uses them for jokes and the like, and thus all must be translated. Also, it is more chaotic, all the girls shout at the same time, they speak out of camera, etc. Plus they speak much faster than in the other programs, and they do a lot of jokes that are hard to translate.

By the way, and so that I don't double post again, Mousou Deka! #2 released.

As always, if you want to give away our subtitles, please give the forum release page instead. It isn't that hard to download them (we don't even request people to register in the forum), and we can really use the advertisement. You can find us in Facebook and Twitter, as Project SUB48, by the way.

16. clumsycarrot

clumsycarrot Kenkyuusei

Thanks for all your hard work! I found the AKB documentary one especially helpful.

17. daryl1000

daryl1000 Kenkyuusei

thank you for ur hardwork.
    i wish i could help but i dunno anything about the subbing process furthermore i cant do translations so i am really sorry

18. chiyuki

chiyuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    Thanks for all the subs! [clap] Great job! I really enjoy them. They are much appreciated!

19. ET920

ET920 Member

101222 AKBINGO! released. I expected it to be harder than Shuukan AKB, but never thought it would be this hard. What makes AKBINGO! hard is the edition: it is awfully edited, so you have scene changes while the previous audio is still running, all the girls talk at the same time so either you translate what you understand (which sometimes are monosyllables) or you leave a huge hole without subs while voices can actually be heard.

I hope we can streamline the process to make it faster. QA continues to be our bottleneck, and even with all our eyes there some mistakes still happen, but we have had some new people join to help us. With time we should be able to handle releases much faster. For now, remember our simple rules: if you want to share the subtitle, share the URL to the site instead. Also, if you use Facebook or Twitter, follow us. Several of the new hands are coming because of learning about us via social network. Thanks!

20. microsheep

microsheep Kenkyuusei

I think actually that leaving subs out from random shouts or unnecessary extra words etc has been done in some earlier AKBingo subs by others? So i guess it's not so bad?

Anyway, thank you so much once again for the subs, your hard work is absoulutely respected :approve: