22/7

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Idol Emporium' started by ForrestFuller, Jul 23, 2017.

1. AloNeko

AloNeko Member

So what´s is future is that group at 2018 or ?

Are there example mv´s of them?

2. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

In essence, you actually think I meant a concept, adapted for Japanese tastes, using Japanese standards of conduct, would be exported verbatim to the West? :lol:

Of course it has to be adapted. It's partly the naysayer's hardline definition of 'idol', that makes this statement laughable.

Here's a question: has anyone from Japan's music industry as a whole, penetrated the Western market? You say no. So why would idoling, an even more obscure and niche concept, be taken verbatim into a completely different market? [hehe]

But think about this: if the Japanese (and Koreans) are already known in the West for their ubiquitous adaptation to markets... then wouldn't not adapting, and exporting something unique to Japan, be the adaptation that allows them to chart? Look at Sy's billion-view song -- that was not even meant to export, yet it meme'd worldwide, and made his label and him, very rich. Top ten on charts? Nah. Still making Korea and Korean culture a household name in the West? Done.

So when you've produced, toured, and failed as an idol ambassador to the West, I'll gladly withdraw my sentiment here. Until then though... :rolleyes:

3. JoltFiend

JoltFiend Future Girls Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    joltfiend
    I wandered in here because of a mention about 22/7 in another thread. Sally's a winner in my book. I'm glad I stopped by.

4. Generic_User

Generic_User Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    The Ikuta Erika
    Really digging Sally, but TBH I don't know anything about the other members. I feel like I'm failing her. Anyone know how the other members are like?

5. Spoony Rice

Spoony Rice Member

Oshimen:
    込山榛香
    Twitter:
    Spoony_Rice
    I don't know any of their names either but there is one Sally is close to(Can't remember her name), they did a showroom together where Sally taught her dabbing and fans started shipping them along when a picture of the group came out and both were doing the lesbian hand pose and the member with her hand on Sally's shoulder

6. Generic_User

Oshimen:
    The Ikuta Erika
    I believe her name was Chiharu. I believe. Don't quote me on that. I even watched that SHOWROOM as well. I was hoping someone was more interested in the group than in Sally to have done the due diligence and checked out the group themselves. Again, since I don't feel like following the other members, I feel like I'm letting Sally down.

I'm going to have to go check them out...

7. mai48_

mai48_ Member

Twitter:
    maiakikochan
    JKT48 may not completely failing as an idol group, but in no way it is as successful as SNH48. Not even close. Look at the quality and diversity of SNH48 releases. Look at how many original songs SNH48 has released and JKT48 has none. SNH48 successfully got big sponsors and great marketing strategies while JKT48 marketing (with less significant sponsors too) doesn't quite do justice to the potential. JKT48 may not be failing, it's doing just fine. But no it's not as successful as SNH48. I would even say that BNK48 will surpass JKT48. As for MNL48, it's such a mess and they haven't finished with the audition for a year now. TPE48? After years, they only have the AKB48 Taiwan Research Students as its members and still doing the auditions. So yeah, aside from SNH48, none of the international sister group are making it big. As big as they can be, it'd be because they are in niche and have the support of a bigger company than their rivals (though BNK48 is up against S16 (?) and the latter has Yoshimoto backing it up (NMB48)). Of course that's the current state, we don't know where they'll stand in a few years time. If a large amount of people are more accustomed to the Japanese values to idolling, they would be able to make it big, that's why SNH48 are doing great methink. Sure adaptating so they can do better is great, but that'd be sad. I'd rather prefer idolling be kept within Japan rather than adopting the Western values to be famous inna significantly manner. Babymetal is great at that methink. They are not too much conforming to the Western values to make it big, but of course their concept was unique from the beginning and that helped tons.

Anyhow, back to 22/7, Sally has such an image gap when she speaks in Japanese than when she does English. I think that's great. She can appeal to both side. I just hope she finds a good balance and not alienate her Japanese fanbase.

8. obikok

obikok Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    i can say that the others are very interesting, like how the most quite-shy girl is actually a genius dancer.. there is a half japan-philippine girl who called Rapper-idol (she often sing a random rap song [hehe] ) there's a member who always mistaken as a comedian, she's so funny, like, she just stood there and you'll find it hilarious :omfg: (Sally just mention her yesterday and it seems like she want Sally to teach her DAB too) and of course there's a duo-unit (unofficial) formed by the two cutest member of 22/7, i think the unit name was "TWINS" because theirs default hairstyle is Twintails XD your typical cute idol.
    *Sorry for my bad english :worthy:

9. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

@MaiAkikoChan -- ahh, I see. So JKT isn't doing as well as SNH... though SNH had a lot more potential fanbase -- a *lot* more -- than JKT could ever hope to see. Do their incomes match? Absolutely not. Did they do well for their markets? I think the answer is a lot closer than the former comparison.

TBH... AKS hasn't tried to exert creative control over the kaigai groups, other than ship mgmt over to lead theatres (which worked in JKT's case... until the unfortunate incident). They need to adapt to their fans... while still maintaining some semblance of what appealed to JDM fans about J48G... namely the 'idols you can meet' concept. Of all the past Japanese idol group concepts... it's by far the most successful one, so natch it'd be a unifying link.

In the spirited debates with Trinu :flower:... one thing I just can't understand about those concerned with exporting the idol concept... is why on earth anyone'd be upset if they called say, a French idol group 'idols', if they don't dovetail exactly with the JDM definition of 'idol'? So what if they change, even drastically, from the versions that match the JDM? They become their own unique twist, with some vestigial but much more universal identifying traits (singing and dancing, of course, with cute girls that must audition to achieve membership). Isn't that what reality TV is pounding into households worldwide (thru several very different-feeling-nationally, but conceptually-similar shows like X-Factor)?

If they sing cute songs, wear costumes and dance onstage for howling fans, endure the reality of competition and drama backstage... why sweat blood over calling them idols? RKJ is a uniquely JDM invention, for JDM fans, but it can't export at all. Who knows, perhaps a French version will see b/fs and maybe even g/fs (though that's a stretch if they're representing all of France as minors)...

Back to Sally -- above comments agree with my own feelings: I need to get to know more of 22/7. However, I'm extra-curious about Sally herself, her background and what got her into the auditions, her anime influences and faves, her upbringing and hometown, etc. etc. She seems like a blast to hang out with (wife and I'd have Console Night or Anime Night with her and just eat crap food and play old games or watch great anime, I think :lol:). But if had druthers, I'd do a weeklong roadtrip in the US with her, in a GoPro reality format like Cars and Coffee, and just let her show us SoCal, while we could show her SF, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. [hehe]

10. obikok

obikok Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    has anyone posted this before?

Amaki Sally, Hokaze Chiharu, Nakagawa Mei, Kuraoka Mizuha in Denpa Laboratory.
    Most of interesting part were stolen by Mizuhan, but Sally is funny as well.

if the video does not show watch the video here

11. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ Thank you! That was amazing... :approve:

Now I definitely want to see more of this group in interviews, and their anime work...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. obikok

obikok Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    ^ There are more "minor" program and interview in earlier stage of 22/7, you can find Sally speak english and spanish(?) in her introduction, or see her 'magic' skill (she sealed that skill afterward lol)

13. Voightkampff

Voightkampff Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    Twitter:
    ParuruArmy
    I might have to like Sally just a little since I found out who her Oshi is.

14. Odd_Cinderella

Odd_Cinderella Next Girls

Oshimen:
    เฌอปราง อารีย์กุล
  15. Generic_User

Oshimen:
    The Ikuta Erika
  16. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    Gawd, I just found out about Sally :1st:
    Really want her to do well <wallet ready>

17. Generic_User

Oshimen:
    The Ikuta Erika
  18. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ Bought it! As of 04 Oct 2017, it's $7.74 for 3 original songs + 3 off-vocal versions.

Sally's 10/05 SR:

She's such a badass... both the wife and I are totally crushing on her. :blush::approve:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  19. obikok

obikok Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    very first program of 8 member introduction >> http://www.bilibili.com/video/av11261060
    Sally doing her magic show, Mizuha juggling, Reinyan wink attack, etc. Enjoy~

*browse the linked channel above for more video include the first appearance of 8 member's face
    *again, sorry for bad english ._.

20. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Sally's 10/07 SR: