[3/11] Earthquake & tsunamis in Japan (all x48 are ok)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by delerium, Mar 11, 2011.

1. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

And I went to bed thinking the worst was over... :hmm:

Dunno about the nuclear leakage thing, but technologies nowadays should be able to contain it to a minimum, hopefully. I don't think any country would have built a nuclear power plant, especially those who have frequent earthquakes like Japan, without considering the possible after-effects the natural disasters may bring. Not to mention Japan is a leading figure in technology-development.

2. polyrhythm

polyrhythm Kenkyuusei

3. katastr0phical1

katastr0phical1 Kenkyuusei

^ Thank you thank you... Glad Rie's safe.

Aamin says she's fine and her family as well.

I know that we know they're all safe thanks to TGSK and loveandcoffee's translations.. but its sooo nice seeing them actually blogging about their safety. :chuffed:

NMB Update:
    NMB Blogs from Sayamina and Milky.
    They are both OK!
    Update 2:
    Terry already translated Sayaka's here.
    Update 3:
    Aina Fukumoto blogged and I believe said that she and all NMB members are safe.

Though I know they are far away, its good to hear they're all safe and sound. My NMBabies. <3

4. taiyaki

taiyaki Kenkyuusei

Harukyan is tweeting that her family's ok and she'll be flying back soon.

Seems to be a bug with twitter that retweets the same thing every 7-8 minutes

Bunch of idiots are ragging on her when it's obviously a technical problem. This is why sometimes people are just :fp:

It was kind of strange talking about dam failures today when one failed in Japan. Mood was definitely kind of depressing in lectures.

5. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
  6. Betazu

Betazu Kenkyuusei

Is there any S48 members from Japan that can confirm what i just heard from my sister (she currently live in Osaka)?

She said that there's prediction/rumor going on right now that there will be another major earthquake right after yesterday earthquake and this next one will be even more powerful than the last one. If any of you guys can confirm this i really appreciate it.

This is just prediction/rumors guys, please don't take it like it's fact. It's NOT. I just want confirmation about this. And i don't mean to cause worry and fear inside you guys as i have been worrying a lot too about the situation in Japan right now. If it's true then i really hope that this prediction will not come to be.

7. taiyaki

taiyaki Kenkyuusei

There is no scientific way to predict earthquakes.

It's just paranoia and hysteria from the disaster.

8. katastr0phical1

katastr0phical1 Kenkyuusei

^This.
    I watched one news channel bring in two experts. One said there's no way to predict earthquakes. The second said the reactor thing really isnt a big deal (unless the unthinkable happens and even then its no where near Chernobyl/ThreeMileIsle). The news anchor spent the next 30 minutes twisting their words around and eventually going back to creating lots of panic and terror. Stupid news people. :fp:

Edit: Just thought about all these girls being overseas.. when they get back.. a lot of stuff will be so different. It will be shocking. [shock]

9. ultimaxslc

ultimaxslc Kenkyuusei

Latest info from BBC

Back to the quake-damaged nuclear power plant Fukushima-Daiichi, and worrying reports on the AFP news agency, quoting Japanese media, that it "may be experiencing nuclear meltdown".

update: The plant's operator, the Tokyo Electric Power Company, tells AFP: "We believe the reactor is not melting down or cracking. We are trying to raise the water level."

10. Betazu

Betazu Kenkyuusei

Thanks guys. Yeah i hope it's just paranoia and hysteria caused by yesterday event. Stupid people :angry:

11. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Ok, I've been reading up on the nuclear plant (Fukushima daiichi/number 1). To enlighten the curious, I'll try to give a layman explanation (there's a twitter feed by an engineer answering questions about it here in plain english btw). I don't claim to be anything more than an armchair wikipedia reader and only got a B in science [hehe]

Basically, the plant makes power by sticking radioactive fuel rods into water. That heats the water, then that water goes along further and heats some other water to make steam, and that steam spins turbines and makes power. (The hot water isn't what turns to steam, so the radiation doesn't go anywhere)

Now, the problem is, if the rods aren't cooled, they heat up and release even more radiation. With this reactor, the emergency water pumps aren't working correctly, so even though the reactor has been "turned off", the water isn't properly cooling the fuel rods (which takes ~2 days to cool down to safe levels).

At the moment some of the water is boiling off into steam, which is what has been released (because it's pressurised and could damage the reactor). But the water level is also dropping, so they're adding more water in. If that doesn't work and the water level drops further, basically, the fuel rods will over heat and meltdown. This will essentially melt the reactor into radioactive sludge, and all the water will turn into radioactive steam. BUT- and this is something that Chernobyl DID NOT HAVE- there is a containment system built around the reactor, a giant-ass concrete box, which is what you see when they show it on the news. This will contain the vast majority of the radiation, keeping the outside world safe.

At the moment it's not looking great, the water level is slowly dropping. So a melt down is possible. But it's NOT going to explode into a mushroom cloud like a nuclear bomb (reactors don't work that way), and it's NOT going to explode like Chernobyl did and spread radiation everywhere (that was caused by too much steam all at once, which caused an explosion, which didn't have any containment to stop it).

TL;DR Even if the reactor has a meltdown, everyone will be fine. Three Mile Island, which had a partial melt down on one of its reactors, is still used to this day. At worst they'll just concrete over it and build a new reactor to make up for the loss in power generated.

Oh yeah, and they've been publishing the radiation figures, the amount of radiation outside the reactor is less than you'd get flying in an airplane at the moment.

You know what's a real kick in the gut here? This is one of their older reactors (1971), and was scheduled to be shut down at the end of the month :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

12. AikyiTaizne

AikyiTaizne Kenkyuusei

That kind of pattern I see :fp:
    I'm surprised no one saw it coming >_>

Thanks for the info, looks like everything should be alright. Now we just have to wait for them to rescue everyone that needs help and hopefully they can recover from the aftershock quickly.

13. mayuyuki

mayuyuki Kenkyuusei

From Harucan's twitter:http://r.sm3.jp/1nuN おはよ`・ω・´画像すっぴんでごめんなさい><今ホテルから空港に向かってるよ`・ω・´公衆電話で家に電話したら繋がった´;ω;`ママと話せてよかった!
    2minutes ago.
    I believe she is okay. She's one of members don't go with others to Guam..zzz
    God bless all members in Japan.

14. yuji82

yuji82 Kenkyuusei

news update on the nuclear leakage and possible meltdown
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia- ... 22667.html

to summarize:
    - "Steam containing low-level radiation were released to relieve pressure"
    - "Radiation 1,000 times above normal was detected in the control room of one plant, although authorities said levels outside the facility's gates were only eight times above normal, spelling no immediate health hazard".
    - "The 8.9 quake and the tsunami cut the supply of off-site power to the plant and diesel generators intended to provide back-up electricity to the cooling system"
    -" When Friday's massive quake hit, the plants immediately shut down, along with others in quake-hit parts of Japan, as they are designed to do - but cooling systems at some reactors failed, the government said."
    - "When reactors shut down, cooling systems must kick in to bring down the very high temperatures. This is key to prevent a nuclear meltdown and radioactive release."
    - However, according to a professor of Tokyo University, ""No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction. Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."

15. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

TAKE THIS WITH A KILOGRAM OF SALT... (error in the phrase intended)

This is something I got from a japanese friend in facebook, I would really really like any kind of confirmation about this....

REPEAT: CONFIRMATION WANTED.

-----警告-----

-----Warning-----

私の友達がこのメッセージを送ってくれました。みなさん、どうぞ読んで下さい。

One of my friends gave me this message. please read this all.

みなさんにお知らせします

this is information for everybody.

友達のお父さんがコスモ石油に勤めていて教えてもらったのでみんなにも伝えます〓

気をつけてください

my friends father works for `Kosumo Oil` and he is warning like this

千葉、首都圏の方へ。

千葉の製油所、製鉄所の火災の影響で千葉、首都圏では、科学薬品の含まれた雨が

降ることが予想されます。 傘やレインコートの使用をお願いします!

お友達にも教えてあげて下さい。

people who live in Tokyo and chiba area

there was a big explosion at chiba oil factory yesterday cos of the earthquake.

It`s possible that it`s gonna rain acid rain around Tokyo area.

Please use your umbrella, or rain coat.

Please give your friends this information.

(PS: She translated it, don't look at me if it's not good).

PS2: Tsunami hitting South Chile, more or less...

16. ultimaxslc

ultimaxslc Kenkyuusei

Update on Nuclear plant

Explosion reported at Fukushima Daiichi (No 1) reactor at 15:36 local time (14:30 GMT+8). TV footage shows smoke rising from plant. Japan's NHK TV also has that report of an explosion, which it says was "near" the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. The Tokyo Electric Power Company - which runs the plant - says some workers were injured, NHK reports

edit: Blast has been confirmed with video footage of the explosion.

17. Melos125

Melos125 Kenkyuusei

Dammit I just woke up and everything is worse than before.

There's recently been an explosion at a building at one of the plants, which is called Fukushima-Daiichi, or Fukushima I. It's not clear what the building contained. But the explosion collapsed wall segments of the building. Which means no more containment building.

Hourly radiation released into the air is 1015 microsievert level. If you were exposed to that amount with in an hour, that's the same amount that human beings are usually exposed to in a year.

100 rem = 1 sievert (Sv). A dose of under 100 rems is subclinical and will produce nothing other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rems will cause illness but will rarely be fatal. Doses of 200 to 1000 rems will likely cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range. Doses of more than 1000 rems are almost invariably fatal.

Area residents told to stay indoors, not drink tap water and to cover faces with wet towels or masks

18. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

it's very scary. But I won't say what I think or people will tell me that a reactor exploding is totally okay and it will give no problems whatsoever. =_=

On AKB related news:
    Togachan said that the theatre will be closed for sure until the 15th. Whether it will reopen on 16th has not been decided yet, he will inform us later, on the 14th.
    NMB theatre will be closed today and tomorrow, they already checked that the theatre is safe and fully operational, but as tsunami warnings for Kinki (Kansai) area have been issued they have cancelled today and tomorrow's show.

At this point we might expect some of the releases scheduled for the near future to be rescheduled later on. (Before you go "oh no!", as I've seen in another thread, think that there's who's lost more than an AKB cd or show, such as their houses, jobs, loved ones...)

19. Issen

Issen Kenkyuusei

Seems like it's not the reactor that blown up...

On a side note, a friend of mine who is in Tokyo just wrote that he is safe. I'm really happy.
    He was blocked last night in Hamamatsu (he went to the handshake event with SKE48) with no way to contact anyone...

20. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

I hope the reactor thing is ok... People have been evacuated at least, so let's hope for the best.

And about the releases being cancelled, it's probably for the best too. I don't think the members (or anyone else) are in a proper state of mind for promoting and performing :( I was really surprised that a NINKI even came out. There's definitely a lot more to worry about right now than whether they'll do well in charts or stuff like that.