Single AKB48 42nd [Kuchibiru ni Be My Baby] 15/12/09

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Sep 27, 2015.

1. CherryBonchan

CherryBonchan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Be My Baby is pretty decent-- I really love the Phil Specter Wall of Sound counterpoint it plays with; totally a callback to The Ronettes' Be My Baby & somewhat seasonally appropriate [as one usually thinks of holiday music & Phil Spector produced music in the same thought]. The outfits feel like a callback to Iiwake Maybe's outfits, which are undoubtedly one of the most iconic AKB outfits, imho [because they traveled internationally in them]. The problem of why this doesn't hit home like it should is the lyrics:

The chorus is pretty good until it gets to the title, "Kuchibiru ni Be My Babyyyyyyyyyy"
    The problem is how is how they sing those syllables; "ni" & "Be" are the same sound, back to back
    Ex: Mae Nomeri's chorus hits the same problem, but prevails. Here's why:
    Ma-eh noh-meh-ri nee / yuu-meh-mi-roooooo
    "Ni" is an upward inflection, while "Yu" is a downward inflection
    See, Mae Nomeri kinda skips over the "ri" at the end of "Nomeri," then ends the breath on "nee" [upward inflection]
    The next line kicks in with a downward inflecting syllable, "yu," and all is well

This is how Be My Baby lays out the final & somewhat most important part of its chorus:
    Sahh koo-chee-bi-roo nee / bee mai bay-EEE-BEEEEE
    It ends a line on an upwards inflection, then the next line kicks in with an upwards inflection & throws off the rhythm

This is mainly why it doesn't hit home as it should, GRANTED given the lyrics, they did the best they could to stretch Baby for an extra syllable. Even then, I think Bay-bee-EEEEE would probably sound better than Bay-EEE-BEEEE here. Also, that infantilized armbar thing they do when they hit the chorus is the WORST. Like, KNP & HN were lazy & simple, but it was to make it easy to dance to, and honestly didn't hurt. That arm thing where they stick their ass out and kinda dangle their arm over is pretty terrible choreography.

Note: they're reusing the opening move from Mae Nomeri where the center comes from the back as everyone disperses, but guess what? That's so common it literally doesn't matter LOL the choreo is FINE [just not that arm thing]

2. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    I so agree with those comments from 2ch. :^^;:
    The song is a bit underwhelming and just typical AKB song that sounds like a mix of other songs they've done in the past. oh well
    A song that sounds like Ai no Sonzai would have suited Takamina more...something with inspiring lyrics as well..(guess I'll wait for the grad song)
    The choreo is a mess, (but when I first saw KR I thought it was a mess too) so I'll wait for better camera angles.

The costumes are a throwback to the red seifukus they've done in the past, namely this one:

if the video does not show watch the video here
    Glad that Shinobu explained the meaning behind those patches. Wasn't there a discussion some pages back?

Finally, I think this type of song was made with the future gens in mind.
    When Takamina leaves, any girl can center it tbh.

3. MeoJim

MeoJim Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    obamina
    It feels like the type of song that'll grow on you the more times you play it, at least it did for me. On another note, it kinda feels like a song that would be played at the end of a tv show, or one of their documentaries during the closing credits [hehe]

4. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    The formation from the chorus:

Miichan Rie Renacchi Annin Yuria Sae
    Yuihan Sakura Jurina Paruru Yukirin
    Sayanee Mayu Takamina Sasshi Kojiharu

5. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    Even though I do not like Takamina, I actually like the song after the "1st listen". Very AKB-ish, reminds me of Kibouteki along with some other classic AKB singles.

I won't say this song will make it to my AKB A-side top 10 but its definitely labeled as a good song for me.

6. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    I think it's disappointing... Very much reminds me of First Rabbit, but in poor form.

It wasn't a very good performance, imo. The dancing was messy. I'll wait to judge the song on a studio version when they're all doctored up, becuase their live performances have never made me shake in my boots before.

It's a pitiful song for Takamina's last, though... Yet another piece of throw-away trash that ANY idol group could sing with near-to-no defining characteristic. And the dance is really stupid and has them jumping around and spinning all needlessly.

Sayanee's center song is boring as well. And a complete rip off of 5000 other J-pop songs from several decades ago... Shiroi Iro wa... Blah blah comes to mind, because of the guitar riff. And they always look so awkward and dumb performing in those type of outfits too.

I mean it's cute, but... This should've been an Undergirls song.

7. rikasa

rikasa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    For some reason this song reminds me of Oh My God! - like after listening to the new single this morning I got Oh My God! stuck in my head instead of this one. On a third listen, it's probably one I'm going to grow to like. I didn't really like HN or GF on first listen either, but I came to like them, so this will probably be the same way for me. As for it fitting Takamina - if she's happy with it, then I will be, too. :approve:

8. ariette

ariette Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I'm really liking this song but I think I was on my 5th watch when I finally noticed those pants you guys have been talking about. I honestly thought that Yuihan was just wearing a longer skirt when... :fp: Now I can't unsee it.

Those horrid skirt/pants are the most repulsive things I have ever seen. AKB48 has done pants and shorts nicely before. Why in the world do they have to dish out this failed fashion experiment?
    Jurina looks like she's wearing shorts too but I can't really tell very well. The shorts are more acceptable though. Cute on Jurina. On the other hand, the skirt/pants does no good for the girls. And to think that Sae has great legs to show off too.:wall:

Now don't get me started on those cape/shoulder flaps some of the girls were sporting as if they were some frill-necked lizards.

But don't get me wrong guys, I'm already loving the song. Sae is definitely my MVP for this performance too. That twirl she does just before the KISS & KISS is awesome!

9. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    I've only listened to it once thus far, but this was my first thought as well. The entire song sounds good (albeit typical) up to that point. But then it derails and never quite gets back on. That might get fixed in the final version, we'll have to see.

I wasn't really paying attention to the choreo, maybe I'll give it another look later.

Right but, we already have that 80%... and most of them I'll never intentionally listen to again.

10. paruchory

paruchory Kenkyuusei

I expected something better.
    Choreogr it's ok, costumes not so good,
    but the music.. so boring/generic...
    Seems like Aki-p use all the energy for sister/rivals groups..

11. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Rest easy, guise. Takamina won't be centering it for long anyway. She will probably be subbed by Mayuyu by next month anyway lol

12. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

I thought it was a really good song, I love the fast tempo and the idolly sounds of it. The only part that threw me off a little was the "be my baby" part in the chorus, hopefully they fix that. I'm really happy we are having an idolly song instead of something like river or beginner. She even said she wanted an idolly song and she wanted a song others can sing for a long time after she leaves. Of course on here some people are gonna take that as she was forced to say a nice thing about it... :rolleyes:
    I don't really see the similarity between this and Maenomeri though. And I think the uniforms shouldn't be red and orange, that's very fall-ish colors. She should have made it more xmasy, I'd say mainly red with white inside, and some dark green. That would fit the timing much better

I'm not sure what you mean here, it's definitely not too fast to sing in karaoke... I'm not saying that it will be popular to sing in karaoke, only a couple have had real staying power (hebirote/kfc), but it is definitely not too fast to sing in karaoke, even for a foreigner who speaks Japanese, let alone a native speaker.

I think that was the point though. It's the 10th anniversary single, I was expecting it to remind you of past singles.

I think that was the point, it is the 10th anniversary single first, and takamina's grad single second. At least that's how I look at it.

---edit---
    Just watched 365, it's a great song too! I could see this song getting pretty popular, being the drama song.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Crystelle

Crystelle Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Izuta Rina, Ida Reona
    i really like the song. It's cute and idolish like i expected it.
    But the wow part is a bit meh and I don't like Miichans position, she is too far in the back.
    I like some of the costumes and some are ugly. I think my favourite one is Takamina's.

14. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Someone needs to BURN those pants and substitute them for fluffy skirts like everyone else's *cries*.

15. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Agreed, but the more I think about it the more I realize this is like Acchan's Managuu single - where the song itself isn't really a farewell song. I guess we were expecting more of a MaeShika or MaenoMeri song.

Agreed, but I think the beginning choreo is awkward given that this isn't supposed to be a farewell single at all. Your points on the lyrics are super on-point too.

Yeah it is - we as fans were just expecting another Ai no Sonzai I guess.

16. jdiaz1994

jdiaz1994 Kenkyuusei

I'm really liking this new single. Its sweet and refreshing. Did they give Miichan shorts?

17. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

I think most fans were expecting that. I like it, but man it is getting bashed on 2ch.
    Especially that stupid hand thing they do in the dance lol

http://blog.livedoor.jp/akbip/archives/46053476.html ← "Kuchibiru is an extremely shitty song...." lol

18. kk127

kk127 Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    OMG, what kind of horrendous mess was this?

i expected so much with this being Takamina's solo center since Keibetsu, it's been years, this is her farewell single and i expected BMB to be a masterpiece like Maenomeri or amazing like MaeShika, but they give me this, TRAGIC.

the song is shit, the Wow Wow part, bye, like, i don't even mind about it being a idoly super generic song cuz i love those songs, KimiSuki, Iiwake, Juuryoku, FirstRabbit, Shoujotachi, so many good super idol songs that work amazingly, i expected that, not this mess, i knew beforehand that it's not gonna be another Sonzai and i didn't care cuz i love tons of idoly songs, but this is not it.

the choreo, LITERALLY BYE, i'm not here for 20 year old girls doing the hand thing, that's just dumb and unappealing.

the outfits, my eyes, like i get they're trying to revive the super iconic outfits, but this is so bad, like, those pants need to be burned and the red, the red everywhere, omg no, Takamina looks the best with her iconic bow, but the overall outfit is so bad, like just no.

Everything about this is bad, I AM SUPER DISSAPOINTED, I EXPECTED MUCH MUCH MORE, but this is not even close to my vision of decent.

Takamina deserves a better song, well, at least we can see her rock that iconic bow one more time.

the sad thing is, i rarely change my opinion over time, i hated KNP the moment i heard the commercial for it, and i still never changed my opinion, i still hate KNP now, so this song has a rare chance of growing on me.

I hope the PV is much better, or else this A-side is gonna go straight into my a-sides trash dump.

this is easily the worst 2015 AKB A-side

--------------------------
    On the other hand, 365 is an amazing song, Sayaka's voice is so soothing and amazing.

19. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    I've listened some more times but it's not sounding better. The song isn't really bad but the arrangement is bad. To much up beat, to high pitch and replace the tin smith with a real drummer. The pace has no finesse, it's only bang bang bang... And I agree with those who says burn the pants, but let the girls take them of first. And don't call it live. Ok, the girls are alive but it's lip sync. Sometimes some girls are even out of sync too. It sounds too good in that meaning that all the voices are in the right pitch and harmonize to each other, especially in the choruses. These girls are not such good singers. And bring in Akicha. ;) Good night.

20. jell0

jell0 Kenkyuusei

A song that literally anyone else could be doing.

And I mean anyone. Nogi, Momusu, Momoclo...

Instead of a rivetting anthem, Takamina gets this. Doesn't even capitalize on her vocal strengths.

I see once again Takamina has been disregarded for the good of the group. This is not a goodbye to one of the greats single. This is a forgotten theater bit at BEST.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk