Can any groups threaten AKB?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by ZerodotZero, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ZerodotZero

ZerodotZero Kenkyuusei

I mean AKB is pretty much in the top tier of girl groups in Japan, but can any other groups threaten their status? IMO I reckon HKT48 could in a couple of years (They are like when AKB first started off). Kara could also dethrone them (well with Korean and Japanese tensions at an all time high maybe not anytime soon) I would like to see what everyone thinks?

2. Yuki88

Yuki88 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    KuroiYuki88
    Well, Momoiro Clover Z is tailing right behind the 48 franchise. E-girls, while not a direct competition, is also favored (the real female EXILE as they're under the same agency LDH). And then there's Tokyo Girls' Style, which is lumped together in the idol category when they're not really of an idol.

And ofc, Perfume. No longer idol, though.

3. ZerodotZero

ZerodotZero Kenkyuusei

Perfume disbanded?

4. Yuki88

Yuki88 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    KuroiYuki88
    I mean, they're not considered idol group anymore.

5. ZerodotZero

ZerodotZero Kenkyuusei

I see,I really like their music though, its super super catchy...... :)

6. Silvershen

Silvershen Kenkyuusei

Right now, I don't think so, hard to think of anyone capable of dethroning AKB48 right now. I always think that sister groups may have a chance esp. now SKE did better in the elections. Somehow, AKB's strategy of evolving from generation to generation not too mention the extra fanservice and events make it somewhat resistant to losing too much popularity. They r now in the stabilizing stage, not breaking sales records anymore but still better than anyone else.

Maybe once ppl get bored with 48 groups music, avex groups will prob have the best chance (E-Girls, TGS, Faeries) not to mention MomocloZ as well, which is 2nd most popular behind AKB.

7. Weezon

Weezon Member Stage48 Donor

Well Akb48 will be dethrone someday if the management over push a cute-boring-notalent idol..

8. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Haha I see what you did there :awesome:

9. Chimai

Chimai Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    What.

To answer the question...

Hmm, not right now.

No other 48 groups will ever surpass them because they're seen as an extension of AKB. Also, AKB has basically become AKB+SKE+NMB+HKT in their A-sides anyway, plus you buy THEIR singles to vote in elections, go to handshake events, etc. And they're in Tokyo. Everything is in their favor among the sister groups. Maybe as time goes by MomoClo could surpass them.

Who knows, though. It could be a group that is relatively unknown now that overtakes them. After all, AKB was pretty much unknown before 2009 or so.

And are you talking idol groups or all girl groups? KARA's popular but I don't see them reaching AKB level popularity. In fact, I think they've gotten as popular as they ever will be now. Like I said, MomoClo has a good chance.

Now that avex is riding the idol train they could be a threat as well. Not to mention their girl groups like E-Girls and Fairies are getting more and more popular as well.

10. MayuMK30048

MayuMK30048 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    I don't think anyone can surpass AKB48 now in terms of cd sales and influence on the idol world. and since there are many girls involved on AKB48.
    and momoiro clover z is more idolish than AKB48. so, they are easy to get tired on imo.

11. eyeless

eyeless Kenkyuusei

Here's some statistics

From Nikkei
    http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASFK1 ... 3A6000000/
    [​IMG]

Another magazine (not sure)
    Left recognition degree, right support point
    [​IMG]

And Oricon half year total sales 2013, earning ranking

Many peoples said the opposite thing, AKB is the idol, while Momoclo is the unorthodox idol.

12. ZerodotZero

ZerodotZero Kenkyuusei

Wow MomoClo really is catching up at a quick pace.... so in a years time it will over take AKB.....

13. MayuMK30048

MayuMK30048 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    i take back what I said on Momoclo. I guess, I just hate their wacky costumes.
    and they don't have AKB48 mix. I can't chant and cheer they way I chant and cheer on AKB48 live shows. and they have few members which is a turn-off for me since they look almost all identical to me unlike AKB48 tons of members to choose from.

14. eyeless

eyeless Kenkyuusei

^
    You just don't know Momoclo yet :)
    Momoclo is the one who actually has their own mix with no other group can use it, just check their overture and this chant guide for Ikuze! Kaitou Shoujo

15. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Entertainment magazines pull all kinds of shady statistics out of their hats, but in the end it's all for marketing and exposure. We know they're playing in different leagues altogether. Talk about whether MomoClo or other idol groups are a "threat" or not is pretty meaningless since they're all totally different cups of tea to boot. AKB's an idol factory with replaceable players, whereas MomoClo is five distinct members and without them it's not MomoClo.
    While it's increasingly trying for newcomers to get into AKB at this point due to all the backlog and "elementary knowledge" that's expected of fans, MomoClo is easy to follow for newbies and especially for girls, since there isn't a lot of background culture or rule to their act. They got a lot of female fans, which isn't much the case in the largely male-dominated AKB fandom.

MomoClo is a group whose popularity flames up to burn bright for a short while and dies down just as quickly. That's the nature of how things usually work, but AKB with its concept is successfully going against that. They've become an institution. Their "boom" is long over, now it's time for MomoClo to have their fifteen minutes. But those idol groups all come and go. AKB's concept though ensures longevity beyond the natural lifespan of other idol acts. There won't be any threat to the 48 franchise unless we get to see another (not Akimoto-produced) group with a similar concept or Morning Musume does a miraculous return.

16. eyeless

eyeless Kenkyuusei

^
    You're probably right, and personally I agree with you about Momoclo's life span, but that's just an assumption. The fact is, right now, Momoclo is AKB's biggest rival. If this 5 members group with short life span from out of nowhere can rival AKB at their peak of popularity, I don't see any reason why any other group can't in the future.

17. ZerodotZero

ZerodotZero Kenkyuusei

I agree with HRP that AKB has a steep learning curve to fandom, being a new fan was highly overwhelming. I had to learn what first gen had to go through and their slow climb to popularity through AKBingo and how when Acchan left the battle for the next gen had started..... :)

18. ET920

ET920 Member

[​IMG]

19. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    ^ I almost did the same thing! [hehe]

I don't think any existing group could be considered a threat to AKB48. But who knows what the future is made for...

20. TCS Kennedy

TCS Kennedy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kawamuramahiro
    What I find more interesting is that Hello!Project is still right in the middle of things, especially since Morning Musume is in borderline reset mode at the moment. Berryz Kuobo and C-ute aren't going away for a little while too. That type of longevity for a bunch of groups and talents that aren't as out there like th 48's is quite impressive...