Idol bangs/fringe

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by liachanie, Jul 27, 2018.

1. liachanie

liachanie Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    This might sound weird but I've always noticed idols' bangs. I think bangs really boost their cuteness and draws attention to the eyes. Have you noticed- most AKB48G members have bangs. :blush:

Wanted to share with everyone defining factors of bangs that make them stand out from each other, that I've observed on idols (with some pics as examples)

Dense/thick bangs vs. see-through bangs
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.38.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.38.44 AM.png
    Oguri Yui's bangs look uniform and packed together. Mion's bangs have gaps between, and the strands are styled to be more defined and wispy.
    Personally, I think the denser/ thick bangs are easier to pull off bc the later can look messy sometimes. And the see-through bangs can sometimes have this effect where it makes the eyebrows look like a monobrow. Plus, sometimes idols use hair product like gel to get the strands to be more defined and if overdone- can look oily.

Mid part/ side part
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.39.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.40.46 AM.png
    Juri has her parted straight in the middle, whereas a lot of idols have the bangs sectioned up in a 9:1, 8:2, or 7:3 ratio. eg/ Ota Yuri's bangs are split about 7:3 bc 70% on one side, 30% on the other side
    Personally, I think exposing the forehead a little is pretty cute.

Side pieces
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.39.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.38.54 AM.png
    Idol often have side pieces that further frame their face. Ogiyuka has thin strands on the side a lot longer than her straight across bangs, and Okada Nana has a fuller side piece that sort of merges into her bangs to make more of a triangular shape? The larger side pieces make more of an impact, and the thin strand side pieces add more of a cute, delicate feel?

If you want to read further on bangs, these articles are pretty interesting- they also mentions some 46g & 48g members
    https://tokyogirlsupdate.com/fringe-maegami-decisive-20150340022.html
    https://tokyogirlsupdate.com/japanese-girls-bang-encyclopedia-20151060948.html
    https://tokyogirlsupdate.com/idol-bangs-styling-tips-201807139912.html

It might be kinda a weird topic to bring up but I haven't seen this discussed before so wondering if you guys have preferences for fringes on your oshi or even notice bangs in the first place :p Bangs can really change someone's appearance
    Thanks for reading~

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    I love this thread. Thank you.
    Idol bangs is life.

IMG_20180705_072809.jpg IMG_20180627_050313.jpg IMG_20180213_175851.png

Once you don't do bangs you look like another person lol
    IMG_20180321_234804.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    Ah yes I have a very strong opinion about bangs - worst thing ever. 95 % of members look better without them. Probably the only good thing about them having bangs is the impact you feel when they finally go no bangs and become much prettier. If there's one thing Koreans do right, it's the no bangs. But let me tell you, the absolutely most distasteful are the see-through ones. Why does anyone willingly set their hair to the style of an average 5ch user I simply fail to understand no matter how many times I have to look at it.
    おでこ出しftw<3<3<3<3
    DXre1qHUQAAI_oP.jpg o14431920p.jpg DVWAqcUVAAAmNlW.jpg 50e2e3c5-s.jpg DFKltKqUAAAimyz.jpg
    :awesome:
    26a4ab7c80ce4b90c8934c76b334b0ef.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. momo

momo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagahama Neru
    Iconic.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. richard durbano

richard durbano Kenkyuusei

I LOVE liachanie's comments. Nobody on the planet loves bangs on Japanese idols more than I do. I could go on about them for hours and hours. Just find any pictures of Acchan circa 2012 and you'll see, in my very humble opinion, the greatest hairstyle in history with the greatest bangs in history. I've always been surprised that newer members haven't tried to imitate that hairstyle. It's beyond iconic. It's legendary. That hair with those bangs frames her face absolutely perfectly.

7. yousakura

yousakura Member

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteam8
    Hot diggity dog. Nanase and Erina look fiercely cute. Another prime example of an idol that does better without bangs though............ [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    yeah Ikumin is classic. I always hated it when she did bangs

9. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Interesting thread. When I worked on my project with Revival Concert I have to recognise girls I even haven't seen before, and their hairstyle was important. Straight down, length, pony tail, twin tail, side tail and so on and of course their bangs. I was really baffled by of often their bangs look the same at the end of a 2 hours concert compared to the start. I wonder how much gel and spray they are using?

10. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    I'd say the best-ever hairstyle on a 48G member belonged to Paruru back in 2012, there's just something about it which to me was totally right and suited her perfectly:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HogwartsHokage

HogwartsHokage Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    Whoa, a thread about idol bangs. Hehe, idol hairstyles have always intrigued me for the longest time.

For me, it's on a case-by-case basis depending on the idol herself. Most idols can pull off their bangs just fine, while others look absolutely fine without bangs (ie. Jurina). There are even a good number of idols that can pull off both hairstyles quite well (ie. Mayuyu and Takamina without bangs were a surprisingly fresh breath of air).

What really intrigued me about those bangs though was from a comment I found on YouTube, probably from one of the Produce 48 videos. Someone was asking how some of the girls' bangs stayed on their foreheads as they were going through the dance moves of Nekkoya, and someone else replied back that they used hairspray or other hair products to keep them down. I never noticed this detail before, even though I have seen multiple 48G performances in the past, but yeah...those bangs really don't go anywhere. :blink: