Learn Japanese!

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Shin, Jun 12, 2007.

1. redux

redux Kenkyuusei

Phew, found out a few days ago that I passed my Japanese exam at university last month...relief doesn't even start to describe it. Tbh learning Japanese is something that I've never really become bored with even though studying the likes of French and Latin at school were some of the most boring times of my life.

A good way to start off is first to learn a few phrases and useful words, just start with romaji and keep it simple for a few weeks/ months, I'm guessing most people just wanna learn Japanese for fun and in their own time so you can take as long as you want with things; just try and keep it simple at first.

Once you've got a basic (I mean basic) understanding of pronunciation and the like then move on to hiragana, it's the best thing you can learn before even trying to bother with kanji. Obviously you'll pick up some kanji naturally along the way but hoenstly learning hiragana makes things so much simpler if it's done first. Reading along to subtitled videos and songs is always good and there's no doubt in my mind that various episodes of Hello! Morning and Morning Musume PV's helped get me through my early days in learning Japanese.

I'm just going from personal experience here obviously but things seem to be working out pretty well for me so far; I' d say not to bother worrying about kanji or the actual grammatical structure of things until you've got hiragana in your head. After that I guess moving on to katakana and particles is the next logical step. If anyone does want any help with learning some of the basic stuff (I'm no teacher and don't pretend to be but I can always try and help with the things that I do have) I can scan some of the stuff I used to work from if anyone wants and help run through it or whatever. Like I say though I'm no teacher and don't expect miracles from me because things will probably go wrong before they go right with me!

2. davey14

davey14 Kenkyuusei

i dunno where to start...

3. Copyninja

Copyninja Member

you can start... with my PM! O:

4. davey14

davey14 Kenkyuusei

thanks dude...

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Kenkyuusei

Just moved into my dorm at the University of Sheffield, doing a Japanese degree. Since I intend to take this through to Masters, I'm going to be here 5 years! Daunting. It's freshers week this week so no classes, but I really want to just meet the class, see if anyone else has similar interests etc.

Still, after 2 years of messing around in part-time courses making slow progress, it's great to be taking a dedicated intensive course!

6. Sorceress628

Sorceress628 Kenkyuusei

I'm in my 6th year of Japanese but I'm always messing up particles. I keep messing up with で, に, and が. Anyone got any tips for me so sensei will stop handing my essays back completely covered in red ink?

7. ossan

ossan Member

I'm not a Japanese language teacher, so I can't tell good tips.

で indicates

done place
     AKB48シアター公演が行われる
     done scene
     オーディション合格した
     the method, means
     ガチャ当たった 
     the materials
     作られている
     the state
     ふたり出かけた
     the cause
     急な発熱休演した

に indicates

the place which exists
     秋葉原ある
     the target of movement
     AKB48シアター行こう
     the result of the change.
     正規メンバーなった

が indicates

the subject of movement, operation
     梨紗泣いた
     the object of possible thing
     英語出来る
     wanted object
     サイン欲しい
     the object of likes or dislikes
     はるにゃん好きだ

8. Copyninja

Copyninja Member

ez mod: に = "to" and "from" :eek: (like getting a gift from your father, or giving one). That's how I remembered it xO and its also the third (or in this case, first) that ossan already stated <3 (and yes I still want anyone to correct me if I'm wrong ^^)

9. Sorceress628

Sorceress628 Kenkyuusei

Thanks ossan!

I printed out your list... its easier than attempting to flip through the textbook looking for the right particle to use.

10. tokaikko

tokaikko Kenkyuusei

So, some Japanese guy I don't know started messaging me on Facebook the other day, telling me that he found my profile on a language exchange group and he's coming to my city in December, so "let's language exchange." I found it all kind of adorable, though he doesn't have a profile picture and some of my LJ friends told me not to trust him. But I don't know xD. I replied to him partially in Japanese, but I still get a bit self-conscious about trying to form proper Japanese sentences when talking to native Japanese speakers. Must study more!

My kanji test the other day went pretty well. It's a miracle what just studying can do! I want to study more kanji from now on, because it feels really good learning new ones.

11. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

I think i too feel self-conscious when i speak in Japanese to locals, while in Japan, even if i am speaking by what i memorized. I speak at times with wrong tense, grammar, but for the most part, i do believe that most Japanese would get a fair to good understanding of what i am trying to communicate. I think more Japanese skills will come more easier as you practice more, and the grammar structure will come together with more conversing with Japanese. I would like to expand on Kanji, and learn to understand the characters and their meaning. I thought of "Rosetta Stone" but quite frankly, it would be so much of an investment to purchase Japanese I, at $500 retail, that is about half the price of a plane ticket economy class to Japan. I perhaps think it would be cheaper taking a Japanese class, and or practicing if you are lucky enough to have a Japanese pen pal in Japan to talk on Skype with.

12. SomethingWild

SomethingWild Kenkyuusei

I've been taking Japanese classes for a year and a half now. I'm picking it up very fast, but I'm good with languages in general, so that helps.

I overheard some Japanese tourist talking and I walked up to them and started a conversation! Really scary at first, but everything went really natural. I can't wait to actual go to Japan one day..

13. Tobi-uchiha

Tobi-uchiha Kenkyuusei

I am so confuse with japanese Grammar and the dirction in English, but i think i will be ok next year, i will going to Japan

14. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

now, on the proper thread,
    some says "aishiteru" and others say "ai shite iru" which one is correct????

15. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

^ They both mean the same thing. The only difference is how the syllables are separated on paper when using romaji.

I personally use "ai shiteiru."

16. fosensei

fosensei Kenkyuusei

Both are correct. "aishiteru" (愛してる) is a contraction of "aishiteiru" (愛している). I've seen romaji lyrics for Japanese songs that represent this contraction like this:

"aishte'ru"

or like this:

"aishite(i)ru"

Also, when English speakers start writing in Japanese, they (we) naturally put spaces between parts of sentence (ai shite iru), because it is way we write in English. But in Japanese, entire sentences are usually written without any spaces. Instead, spaces are used after punctuation, although in song lyrics, they can appear between phrases.

Hope this helps.

Despite my user name, I've never been a teacher. It's just a nickname I picked up because I looked like one of the Japanese teachers in high school...I'd probably suck at being a teacher :(

17. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

@giddy: thanks so much for the trouble today
    @fosensei: thanks to for the further explntion

so ai shite iru and aisiteru is the same, oh well,
    i prefer aishiteru, thanks again you guys^^

18. ossan

ossan Member

As for "aishiteiru" and "aishiteru", the nuance is slightly different.

"aishiteiru" feels like "explanation".
    "aishiteru" is usually used if it whispers to the lover.

Japanese language has kanji, so we can recognize the delimitation of the word without spaces.

19. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Oooohhh!!! Thanks for the info!!!

I like that explanation - a lot. :love:

20. fosensei

fosensei Kenkyuusei

^
    ^
    Yeah, I like that explanation too! On the other hand, that explanation doesn't work as well with other verbs, like itteru (言ってる) or kiteru (来てる). :p

I've always thought that the -teru form was used mostly in conversation and informal writing (like blogs!), like contractions in English (can't, I've, we're), but that's based on personal experience. Is there a general rule about when it can or can not be used?