Overclockers thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by poisonedbymayu, May 8, 2012.

1. poisonedbymayu

poisonedbymayu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    hi all..i just wanna know..are there any overclockers here?.. [think] .
    i'm totally noob in overclocking fyi [blush] .

*this is my 1st thread in S48 :^^;:

2. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    how can you be a noob?
    this is 2012, all you need to do is get a bigger heat sink/fan and change a setting in the BIOS and you've overclocked.

this is not 2002 when old people like me didn't overclock because they didn't want to mess with different timing changes and moving jumpers that could screw up your computer forever.

3. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    This could help! How to Overclock a PC

If you got the cash just buy PC's with overclock option than doing it yourself its kinda not advisable to start experimenting without Parental Control an IT guy to help you out just incase you wreck the options and delete the BIOS, even the IT guy can't help you out when that happens. [hehe]

4. poisonedbymayu

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    @joooooooooooooooooe (is the "o" was too much? :wtf: :lol: ) :
    humm...yea..i missed the old fashioned OC method..nowadays OCing was too easy.that's why i hate "blue" brands 'coz IT"S TOO DAMN EASYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! :angry:
    well..i'm a noob since i didn't have a good batched processor and good DRAM (i use a generic DRAM u know~ :XD: ) .jst look at my sig and u know my worldwide rank (it's sucks :hmm: )

@kimunlimited :
    no~..you didn't need an expert~..jst see your BIOS, and increase your base clock step by step until it needs more vcore, increase DRAM timing to the lowest latency and wait it's smoking :hehe:

5. kimunlimited

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    That's just the basic of it if you can realize the power of Assembly Language you can remove the bottlenecks of processes and have your system work to its most efficient ways... :hmm:

I didn't study Computer Engineering just to overclock I meant to build a customize system that's to my liking and not basic consumer use, I'm still dreaming of that day to come. :nothappy: Computers nowadays aren't being utilized to its utmost power because manufacturer's focus too much on the basic use of it.

Overclocking is only justifiable if you're running applications like those of parallel computing if you just wanna play games or run basic application it doesn't need that you're just punishing your system, shortening the life span of the hardware. If you're not much into electronics its not really a good idea to try it on systems you're not use to since each manufacturer's use different kinds of parts which you have to know the saturation point so as not to endanger the system, as embedded systems are quite sensitive at times.

I think I just passed the boundary of the meaning of overclocking... :^^;:

6. poisonedbymayu

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    um..i'm not playing games..but i used my computer to do some heavy multitask..RAW render, coding, folding, photo editing, etc in 1 moment..so dual core didn't help much if i use the def. troughput speed.i need to push it to the maximum gain since i didn't have money to upgrade it :^^;:

and OC is fun at all..i mean..it's fun when u come into an OC competition.. :lol:

7. kimunlimited

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    Oh, you also suffer the malignant virus called multitasking, the thing I called a trade off of quality to quantity. Sooner or later you'll be in a withdrawal syndrome, too many task is always too much. Though I've been in it for years I still want that remove from my system and somehow I still can't find the cure unless someone smash my PC to smithereens. :fp:

Though I've experience the fun in overclocking it I'm still not comfortable with it, there's a reason for the limitations. When you cross the limits your somehow gonna crave for more until you're PC started smoking and your HDD with it. I'm more afraid of a head crash than a CPU meltdown.

8. poisonedbymayu

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    i've break 8 processor, 4 boards and 3 GPUs :fp:
    but all of them was covered by warranty :^^;:
    umm..yea..it's disguisting when u bumped the wall..but i just do mild OC for daily..only about 45% from its default :)

9. 1337rice

1337rice Kenkyuusei

mind telling us what's your CPU/Mobo/RAM? Some are pretty stubborn and just don't overclock well...or at all..

10. poisonedbymayu

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    umm..
    Athlon II X2 240, DFI LP BI 785G-M35, 4x4GB Generic DDR3-10600 Hynix H9C SS CL9
    that's all..the wall is around 4.27GHz on air cooling..

-edit-
    add the amount of RAMs

11. Jul3

Jul3 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    Jul3rd
    I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but what exactly is the point in overclocking? I mean, nowadays I thought the restrictions weren't on raw CPU clock speed, but in parralelisation, porting code to run on GPUs etc, that brings the real gain in computing speed. And also, for non-computational intensive tasks, more RAM is more important, and even in mass computing, RAM is often a bigger issue than CPU speed.

I don't know what's typical nowadays, but a typical node on a cluster runs what, 2x quad core xeons with 8GB RAM? The interconnect speed is the issue.

12. poisonedbymayu

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    it's okay..yep..there're many software that can use all cores and combine it w/ GPU power..but some software just can use single task that means use its RAW core speed..and interconnect speed is the problem..so w/ overclocking i gain its interconnect speed even i lower the core multiplier to manage its core speed near the def. clock :)

and abt GPU, it's hard to use low-end GPU since its power was low too..so i overclocked it to gain its power (well..not exceed than optimum efficiency since the cooling was not too good).

it's the art of overclocking for me..you can gain more power when you can't buy the powerful one :) .some ppl may consider OCing was just for fun..yes..i confess that OC is fun at all..you must think hard how to gain the maximum power but you didn't break it in a second :) .and i love that..

umh...i'm not a benchmark guy fyi..for what you got high bench score but when u use it for a daily use u got errors? :fp:

13. Jul3

Jul3 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    Jul3rd
    ^ Aha, thanks! I understand the appeal now :)

14. 1337rice

1337rice Kenkyuusei

well what cooler are you using? If you're using stock, then it might be a bit too hard to achieve...and pushing it to 4.27GHZ on air is too risky, unless you live in a very cold environment. You're just gonna shorten the lifespan of the CPU by a lot...its a $50-60 CPU, don't expect too much from it. You're not exactly saving much time from it...I would not risk shaving off a couple seconds while sacrificing the lifespan of the CPU, ESPECIALLY when you even said you have no money to upgrade.

I've personally used this CPU (Athlon II X2 250 to be exact), and to me, it performed pretty decent in editing RAW photo files and some heavy gaming at stock speeds.
    Then I upgraded to an Intel i5 2500k, that's a completely different story :lol:

15. poisonedbymayu

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    i'm using Xigma HDT-S1283 + Delta 3A 12cm fan + 2A peltier for now..and the ambient temp in my room was lower than 28C :)

umm...about life span i've killed the previous one and use the warranty :^^;: .it's my fault since i accidentally disconnected the peltier + node :fp: