We need boys

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by dracomalfoy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dracomalfoy

dracomalfoy Member

So we were chatting in the chatroom. I came up with the question: "Why they rarely use male actors in PV?"

Some of the lyrics are about male and female relationship. I think it'd be too weird to make PV's without boys to fit into some song contexts. Some of the PV's take set inside a studio with girls dancing an so on. I personally think that's boring.

People fear loss of income if they put some boys in a product's concept. I dont understand the otaku culture, but is it that taboo to include boys than getting the 'soul' of a song?

Besides which, this is totally different from Kikuchi's case. This one is totally professional work.

Any comments on this?

2. hina

hina Member

as I've said Idols need to look like they're available for their singles to sell. Its a tried and tested formula.

3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Kenkyuusei

*shrugs* I think we don't need boys. The songs so far work very well w/o them. And the girls get little enough screentime as it is.

But then again, I'm all for Stage perfs anyways, since that's where the shafted members can shine.

4. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Regardless of it being professional or not, I think that if AKB threw in a young, somewhat attractive male into a PV, the wota would have troubles imagining them with their girl of choice.

Personally, I'm not a fan of using anyone as a main character outside of a group in a group's PV.

(What about dressing Natsuki up as a boy?)

5. dracomalfoy

dracomalfoy Member

Say you're a nihongo dipshit, like me. Can you tell the difference between Skirt, Boku no Taiyou and Rom. Irane?

6. TripleT

TripleT Kenkyuusei

no, even without random actor some girls don't get enough portion inside the PV.
    random male as background is okay though.

7. Ange

Ange Member

The Stage48 Institute for Akimoto Sayaka Worship
    If I'd want boys, I'd switch to Johnysssss. x_x

But I don't want boys :lol:

8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Kenkyuusei

btw, if they want boys they can just dress up some of the girls in male clothes. Pseudo-boys beat the real thing anytime. Just watch Return Match (Sayaka is one hot dude) or MenDol (Riku stole my heart :D)

9. kaito

kaito Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if AKB48 did feature males in their PVs. They're all (or used to anyway) about controversy, and this is the biggest taboo you can get in the Japanese Idol world.
    I really wouldn't mind them doing this though, I don't think wotas (bar the mindless ones) would mind THAT much. Especially looking at the Kikuchi situation, where they didn't care about her scandal of her boyfriend, they just wanted her back. It's still boggles my mind (and slightly annoys me a bit) that some still believe/want them to live innocent pure lives. IMHO I'd prefer it if they had love lives and were experiencing relationships.

Back to the point.. I have proof that it can be done, and done right. In the Korean Idol world, male and female idols interact with each other a LOT more.

Girls' Generation - Kissing You MV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn26KORcgUU

In the video it features a male idol from a boy band (Donghae from Super Junior), and Girls' Generation have quite a large male following too. I think it you pictured AKB48 in that MV with a random male actor/idol, I don't think it would boil anyone's blood.

I don't think it'll happen though, I think this will be as close as a male will get in an J-Idol PV. :lol:

10. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Didn't someone on the forum make some Bingo fan PV with some boys in it? Something along the lines of them dancing on the beach, too?

The minute I saw that I realized I never wanted to see dudes in an AKB video

11. Chivor

Chivor Kenkyuusei

^
    ^ This has been bugging me ALOT. Are there really such things as Korean Idols? Or are they just in a different meaning with the same name? I, personally, have always been considering SNSD, Wonder Girls, KARA and the lot to be only girl groups. (Well, if you apply the view on Japanese Idol Groups on them.)

And yeah, about males being in a pv, it's pretty much a taboo in the idol world, so no one still dares to take the risk. (Yet.) Cross-dressing would do the trick though sometimes lol

12. dracomalfoy

dracomalfoy Member

^
    ^
    Links please*curious*.

But thats just some fan making things up. By reading your last line, I can only sense joke in it.
    I'm talking about paid actors and screenplay writer.

Ok, lets take Bingo for example. A cool, cold looking boy pass by and all the girls in school blushes and giggling like idiots. And suddenly he sits next to you in a math prep. Then in the chorus the scene switch to a bunch of girls dancing. And so on.

13. kopkrazy

kopkrazy Member

why don't do a collabration between akb48 and a johnny's boy band (hey say jump) just like the akb-idolling combination ????

14. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

I'm not quite sure. I've personally never considered them idols. They've always seemed like girl groups to me. Like Perfume. Perfume seems more like a regular girl group than an idol group.

15. Youkokurama

Youkokurama Kenkyuusei

big no.

i'm saying this as one of the fans who have devoted their time and money to the girls. if i see my favorite girl with a guy in a pv, then my interest in that girl would automatically drop.

i write letters, give flowers, give gifts, take 2shots, line up for a handshake, etc and i suddenly see her with another guy in an idol pv? :rant:

this is the japanese idol world we are talking about. idol fans are not your everyday fans.

the only time i would forgive something like this is if the guy was really necessary in the pv, and he remained faceless.

and ofcourse, we are all talking about pv's, right? like akb48 pvs. cause dramas, movies, pvs of other artists, radio shows, etc are a totally different matter.

that being said, keep the guys away from the pvs. us fans are happier without them in pvs. instead of paying guys to star in pvs, get the girls better costumes instead, or add effects/cg to the pvs, or get a dog or cat in there if you need to.

16. Naomi

Uh, what does that have to do with it? What's so bad about her being with another guy? =/

I personally think AKB PVs are fine the way they are. They don't need boys to make 'em better.

17. Youkokurama

Youkokurama Kenkyuusei

it has to do something about how us wotas get so attached to the girls. and i don't expect everybody to understand this feeling either.

and i totally agree with what you said that the pvs are fine the way they are. two thumbs up for that one. :D

18. tokaikko

tokaikko Kenkyuusei

Yeah, honestly, I agree with Naomi. I understand that the whole appeal of like, looking at attractive people, would be...well, I don't know how to word it to not sound messed up, but yeah. But still, it's just a PV. A PV is acting. And still, it's not like you'd ever date them anyway, so you should be able to accept them having a boyfriend too. For all we know many of them could have secret boyfriends (or girlfriends - I mean, hello, billion girls constantly in close proximity + raging hormones, but I'm just saying). It's the same argument I bring up when I see fangirls right now saying they're sad that Miyavi has gotten married. Um? If he's your idol, be happy for him. Honestly, because I look up to him and respect him so much, I'm happy that he has somebody in his life. And when I saw one of my favourite band members on TV gushing about how he becomes like a stupid kid around his girlfriend because he's so in love with her, I was squealing in front of my TV, and grinning, because it made me SO happy to know that someone who's brought me so much happiness through his music, words, and everything is happy and happily in love.

A PV isn't even a real relationship. It's like a drama. So a girl being with a guy in a PV should be acceptable, period. There's no reason for it to invoke jealousy or anger or anything of the sort. I understand the other point of view, but really? I probably only understand it because I understand wota. But if that's how all wota would feel, then that's an aspect of wota that I just can't agree with.

Now, I have to wonder, dracomalfoy, was this chatroom wotachat? We had that exact discussion there recently, so yeah. xD The main example to the contrary is SweetS, who had a guy in the Love like candy floss PV, but that PV is a whole different story.

Guys in these PVs would make them more interesting. I've always wanted more drama-like PVs, and they can't all be girl love between the members. Come on, reality check. I'd like to see more PVs like dramas. Real dramas. With boys.

I think we need to put an AKB girl in an actual drama with a Johnny's guy or something and a legitimate kiss scene. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. It shouldn't be.

Sorry to get impassioned, but really. I'm a teenage girl, and I love singing on stage. I would be an idol in a heartbeat. I would not give up trying to find a boyfriend. I would just be damn sneaky about it. You can say I don't understand because I'm not a Japanese girl, but I really don't care.

And I know you're not paying for guys in the PVs, but I'd rather pay for a good PV with a story I could enjoy than a boring PV where some idols smile at me a lot. But I guess that could be just me. And I know, I know, guys are not required to make a good drama PV. But I'm just making a point.

19. Naomi

Exactly what I was thinking. Like you, I'd be soo happy if any of my favorites were in a relationship. It'd be so cute. XD

20. tokaikko

tokaikko Kenkyuusei

^ I've spent a lot of time hoping that if Megukami was dating that guy in the pictures that got her kicked out of C-ute, the scandal didn't break up their relationship. I was like, "Seriously, I hope they're okay if they were indeed dating." XD Not as sure about Kikuji's boy since someone had to have been stupid enough to post that picture on the internet, but hey. xD

Btw, love kaito's example of Kissing You, because Donghae is adorable in that. But I wonder if that was just done to build solidarity between SNSD and Super Junior fans, or just bring in the Suju fans. I know that's one of the only SNSD PVs I've watched, because one of my Suju favourites is there. His being an idol and breaking out into his own group's dance in the middle of it adds another layer to the whole thing. But it's a good example nonetheless. A guy is there, and it's perfectly innocent. And adorable!

And uh, yeah, I once imagined how cute Myao would be with Yuto from Hey! Say! JUMP...don't mind me. I don't even know why such a thought occurred to me. IDK. *runs away*