Will Akimoto-San ever extend AKB out of Asia?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kuchi-Chan, Nov 27, 2013.

1. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Though the more a person or company makes money, the more they want. The greed increases with increasing income. But I agree about that Aki-p and AKB48 have probably no bigger chances in the West if they don't change the concept and then maybe there is not much left. There are powerful forces against pedophilia and exploitation of young girls here.

2. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

You went a bit over the line there. :hmm:

Weren't the A-Teens TEENagers when they first started? Was that considered pedophilia and exploitation? Cause I think they are from YOUR country. You should know better than us. :wtf:

If that's what you consider Aki-P is doing with the girls, I really don't understand why you are a fan at all.

3. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    I just tell what the ordinary people would say, not what I'm saying. I now know much more than they know. I've tried to push for J-pop and AKB but I face a lot of dirty talk and prejudice. Although there is a kernel of truth. Aki-p and AKB would meet the same talk if they come here.

About A-teens. Yes, they were about 15 when they started. But they were not destined to be replaced by younger members later, that's the difference.

4. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

Of course there's something similar in America. They are called Disney channel/Nickelodeon stars. These children all get exploited thoroughly during their teens and become drug addicts before they hit 20.

5. Chimai

Chimai Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    ^ And really, when you look at how the US and Japan market their young stars, it gets really interesting.

Disney Channel's target audience is pre-teens and young teens, right? Their stars are supposed to be role models for young girls and boys and nearly everything they do is geared towards this audience. What happens to many (not all) of these stars when they leave and grow up? They become weirdos and druggies and everyone just pokes fun at them.

In Japan, young idols are generally geared towards wota who tend to be adult men. In the West, this would be seen as exceedingly creepy and screams 'Pedo!', especially when many facets of this (happy, upbeat songs, schoolgirl-inspired uniforms, etc.) just magnify their youthfulness and thus the creepiness. And yet even though this seems so "wrong", how many Japanese idols have gone down the "dark path" in comparison to the West? The only ones that come to mind right away are Kago Ai and Nakanishi Rina, and both of them are now well-adjusted, happy women with families. That's pretty impressive when you consider how many idols there are in this industry.

It is certainly interesting that the supposedly 'gross' culture is the one that has the lesser amount of messed up former idols/stars. It would be fascinating to do a study as to why this is.

Although a part of me would love a USA48 (and part of me would definitely audition ASAP), when I really think about it... I just wouldn't want it. At all. Too many things just wouldn't work about it. As someone who has immersed myself in Japanese culture since I was in elementary school, I tend to forget how different some aspects of the cultures are.

6. DreamingPebbles

DreamingPebbles Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uimashiro
    Twitter:
    dreamingpebbles
    I don't think gotbild went over the line there. He was clearly talking about how people in the West would view AKB. And yes, there have been (and still are) teenage music groups in the US and Europe, but they're usually targeted at other teenagers. AKB may not be specifically targeted at a certain demographic, but it's pretty clear that most of its fans are young adult men. I don't think Westerners in general would view that in a good way.

Besides, you can't deny that some fans are motivated by sexual attraction.

7. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Do you think they would come to the West and be all like "Hey, we're a bunch of 18 yo girls and we want OLD GUYS to watch us!!"? They don't choose their fans. :wtf:

They'd release music and be content with whoever goes to see them.
    The only people who would probably pay any attention to them would be, precisely, teenagers who find their music catchy like what happened with the Spice Girls, the Pussycat Dolls and other girl-groups. And I really don't remember seeing 40-something yo guys in their concerts. Those are the exception, not the norm like in Japan. And I really doubt they'd get such a following fandom like AKB has. Leaving everything to go to a handshake? Nah... people here treat music as something much more casual. The artist (unless you're Adele) doesn't really matter.

In any case, it's not happening. I wrote somewhere before that Britney sold.. what? 3 millions with her last album? That's 3 singles (of the five per year they release) of AKB in Japan. There's no way a venture in the west would be profitable, so yeah.

And I said gotbild went over the line cause I don't see pedophilia in AKB (even though there might be wotas going a bit too far), but in any case, that would be something to deal with the specific person who has the mental issue, not with the group. :hmm:

8. goh1925

goh1925 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayui01
    I think there are too many people, even in this fandom itself that holds a lot of prejudice on the general AKB48 fans.
    I may not actually went to any event, but from a lot of fans report that I read I feels like AKB48 fans are generally really nice in nature.

9. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    i was expecting fans who are more older to dominate handshake, or the cafe. but so far from ny experience, national handshakes are filled y ouths and 30s. and in certain members' lane, there are lots women too.

10. polar_star

polar_star Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shibataaya
    Have you seen the fandom wars on twitter and all the worldwide trends by Bieber fans? There are dedicated fans everywhere in the world. I'm sure Adele has way more casual fans compared to someone like Miley who was a Disney star or a "western idol".

But anyways leaving alone the sales and idol aspects aside, it's hard to become profitable in the case of a group that's bound by location like AKB. Let's say they debut a group in US, where will the theater be set? NYC? Are 20+ girls going to travel all over the country for monthly handshake events? How many concerts will they have to hold in addition to the theater performances in order to be able to reach a larger fanbase? Japan has a large population, but the size of the country is very small & easy to travel across compared to USA, or a whole continent of countries like Europe. You need to think about the logistics of it all too so a group with the EXACT SAME concept as AKB is simply not realistic in the West.

11. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    I want to make clear that I don't see AKB as a pedophile group, as long as they are i Japan. It's another issue in Western. Even if they are not, I'm sure the debate will start and that's bad. Those who say that word don't hurt are wrong. Can we leave the pedophile issue now?

But if a small group of members say over 20 yers old come and perform it may work but they will NEVER reach the popularity as in Japan. And maybe sell CDs and DVDs, if they remastered them with more Western fitted voices, no autotune. :D

12. dracomalfoy

dracomalfoy Member

Local Demographics is the keyword!
    For example, JKT fans are mostly young people though, school kids and college students. I think it's quite normal even for early 20's guys to imagine whats underneath a 14-15 yo girls' skirts.

Indonesians are mostly bound to the memories of the decade in which they spend their teens 70's, 80's, 90's and so on. I dont think there would ever be any 'weird old man' in a queue for a handshake with JKT :D

13. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

It's because for all the bad things you hear about Japanese idol industry, they do make a point to keep the girls' "pure". For the most part, 48G idols don't ever work with good-looking men of their own age. They are only shown to interact with male comedians who are much older than them and are already married. The only exception is when a girl acts in a drama and has to get a love interest. Any kind of socialization with men close to their age would raise a red flag. If any of them are ever caught/suspected of dating, it's pretty much a death sentence to their career.

In the west it's quite the opposite. When you get dating rumors, it's considered a career booster. People start to follow them more in the news because they're (rumored to be) in a relationship. Because young stars are kind of encouraged (or even forced) to socialize, the chance of them being exposed to drugs and things in Hollywood parties is pretty big.

14. yamiperv

yamiperv Kenkyuusei

I thought this topic is interesting so I'll give my input :)

the idea of having AKB over seas is not that bad... if you don't try then you'll never know. Besides I don't think culture has much to do with the group if they wanted to expand to US. I think their system might be interesting to some of the music label in US. Surely if AKi-P really wanted to expand and wanted to keep his concept, they will negotiate somehow.

Though it is true that US is harsher towards music, but if you really compare the US artists to AKB, they are kinda on the same level. Not all US artist can see, and not all AKB girls can sing. Not all US artist can dance, but surely AKB can.

Besides US labels are all about selling anyway. Surely handshake event and voting in the senbatsu should appeal to them.

I just hope if Aki-P is gonna do it, he'll do it soon so I can audition and have fun with it. I'm already at the age where its borderline okay and not for being an Idol so... yeah.... lol

15. allansson

allansson Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    Twitter:
    haruna_oshi
    I don't know if this is on topic or not, but I'll go anyway.

I live in sweden and none of my friends understands this fandom, some people I meet are very judgmental too. This is hard because in my life now, AKB48 is one of the most important things. And I wonder... is it because people in sweden (or other western countries) are xenophobic and don't want things that are different?

One of my friends actually understands it though, he's a very big fan of WWE, ie American Pro-Wrestling. And WWE has similarities to AKB, there are alot of names to keep up with, you choose one or several favourites, you can read their blogs, and from what I've heard the live experience is amazing. And from what I hear the interaction between the wrestlers, or storylines, are often good. So what's the difference between AKB and WWE? Well apart from the obvious...

Though it should be mentioned alot of people here in sweden look down on wrestling as well. Why can't people be more open-minded?

More on topic: I would love to see more concerts here in the west. I mean if there was a live in London or some other big european city, it would sell out right? Every AKB-fan in europe would come! But no, I can't see something permanent like a theater here.

16. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    We exists but are very few. I'm not even what you can call a fan. :D According to what I have found out there is no business in the Western or Europe for AKB. Maybe a couple of the best members but not the whole circus.

17. DaimonMichiko

DaimonMichiko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    not impossible but super unlikely
    even in asia people had already bad impressions on akb
    because of heavy rotation mv.

18. Criss

Criss Member

Not likely.

AKB48 and the other groups could be "famous" in japan and some regions of Asia, but its very difficult for them to shine outside that area.

I always said it ; "Internationaly, the greates enemy of Idol style its... the Idol style itself." All the people here know it, this works for Japan mainly, and a little in the neighborhood for cultural reasons. Now, we also have to add the fact of how overated this 48 groups are. Pampered and protected so much. Goverment its supporing and protecting the project, thats why the Oricon didnt change its ranking methods. Imagin a foreing version without all the support that the original groups have in Japan. Because of that the foreign groups have to close a much better marketing contracts with private companies, thats more risky.

In Japan Akimoto have the support and favours of companies like Shuenshia and have few tabloids in the bag, litheraly, like Friday. Add the goverment and then you are untochable.
    Its getting more difficult for foreign groups as you get more and more far away from Japan.

Now, more than 4 years has passed since the first international AKB incursion in America (Sep 2009) and what happened? Just an Animexpo and Japan Expo. All anime conventions, not real independent events for them. Do you want to add that Cannes "presentation"? ok, and then? And please... dont even mention Wreck-It Ralph collab. only the same fans got crazy about that.

AKB had its best moment in 2010-2011, after that was the same over and over again.

Now, aside the ever-same top fan sites, nothing has really improved internationaly. A lot of old-guard fans are retired and a lot of other smaller sites are down.

Looks like its even more difficult now than 3 years ago. lets keep watching another 4 years.

19. icehism

icehism Kenkyuusei

Even if they did expand out of asia, it will NEVER be like how AKB is in japan.

Any smart person would know this. Groups are changed based on marketing demographics. Lets take SNH48 for example. SNH48 can sing because lipsyncing is literally illegal in china and you are forced to sing live or get fined a big fee.

Also, i find it interesting that people are saying middle age men are the norm akb fans when this pie chart on NTV Best Artist 2011 says young teens and kids are the biggest demographic for AKB in Japan in late 2011.
    http://i.imgur.com/zNVV8.jpg

heck, there's a lot of women and young girls there too

20. mayuoshi

mayuoshi Kenkyuusei

Oh man that Sugar Rush. It was like the third song in the credits.

and icehism is right. It would be like what this american guy is doing who said he was inspired by AKB48. It has none of the elements that make AKB fun. Just a plain pop group.

I was gonna list some examples of things I've heard talking to other Aussies, but they were quite harsh. So instead, I'm just going to say there's too much prejudice there for this to be feasible.