1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Would you cry if you were a member?

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Torigoya-San, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    I have seen plenty of members crying on stage, whether it is a concert, the Sousenkyo, or simply a regular variety show. Even member whom I thought I would never see cry (at least not in public), have burst into tears at something or another. Maybe it is simply due to immaturity. But what ever the reason, the question I'm going to ask is, will you shed tears in public for the viewers to see ? The reason can be dropping in rank in the Sousenkyo, or management leaving you out of something important or something you really wanted, even though you put in all possible effort to please them ? For me, if I were an idol, there are certain lines I won't cross, one of which is crying (especially in front of the cameras in full view of the fans and other viewers). Maintaining personal dignity and honour is the main reason :cool:. Another reason is that crying will please the haters (or anyone else) who would love to see you get hurt emotionally. On the contrary, I would simply laugh it off, make frank remarks, and continue to enjoy the once in a lifetime experience of being a pop idol ;). How about you guys ? :hmm:

2. Togasaki

Togasaki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    Idol tears are delicious.

No tears, no idol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    I believe making an I-don't-care face might get the idol even more haters, as she might appears as if she does not care for her job enough. Also tears are seen as endearing sometimes... Fans will be willing to go as far as possible (like putting more money into more votes in the election) not to see the sad tears of their beloved idol again. But they would like happy tears of joy. They want to see their girl happy and wtiness the fact that she is thankful for them.

If I were an idol, I would allow myself to cry, but try to do it in a neat way. I wouldn't go all wild and show an ugly face. Pretty face no matter when is important for an idol.

4. Center

Center Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanimarika
    I think crying is a sign that a member have strong feelings on their work.

5. hjr1891

hjr1891 Member

Oshimen:
    IxR
    This.

Also...

You can cry and still maintain your dignity and honor. It is not necessarily a negative.

6. Mimi

Mimi Kenkyuusei

I have similar views, but I always try to remind myself not to judge people for crying in public even if it's over things that seem small to me. Everyone deals differently with emotions and some people are more emotional than others and some show their emotions easier while others are better at hiding them.
    I don't think (genuine) crying is a choice or something you can plan to do or not to do at a certain time. While there are people who don't mind crying in front of everybody and getting attention that way, to most it's embarrassing and they too probably wish they didn't cry so easily. When I was in school (even in college) there were people who'd always burst into tears when they had to give a presentation in front of class, because they were so shy or had some kind of anxiety issues. I'm pretty sure those people would've gladly chosen to look confident and relaxed instead of crying in front of the entire class if they could.

7. NanaHoshii

NanaHoshii Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    habumizuho
    I'm sorry but what? Crying isn't a sign of weakness or anything. These girl work hard, isn't it normal if they are frustrated to the point that they cry? Isn't it normal to cry when one of your friend with who you spend years with, maybe going through a lot of shit, leave the group? It just shows how much dedicated to the group they are, and someone who show a "I-don't-give-a-fuck" face would probably be hated by much more people than the ones that cry.

8. Center

Center Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanimarika
    Crying is also the reason how members became close to fans. On graduation concerts its not just the members who shed tears... Its also the fans... Because that's how bonds are formed.

With just tears we also feel their emotions... And what they really want to say. I don't know if what part of the planet you come from but crying is what makes me human.

9. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    How many times do you see male idols cry ? That's because people don't expect to see them cry, and no one loves to see them cry :D. If seeing girls cry is something you enjoy, then I have nothing else to say. Being a guy myself, I'd rather see a cool and tough female idol who can sweep aside obstacles and overcome challenges with ease. If you think female idols must cry to gain respect, then I say the right be extended to male idols as well :cool:. After all, they are also human.

As I said before, if I'm a female idol, I would not want fans who like me based on ability to cry hard. The fans I would like are those who are attracted by my distinct character and charm, as well as my acting ability and performance expertise on stage.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  10. polar_star

polar_star Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shibataaya
    Don't know about jpop, but I've seen plenty of kpop male idols crying in public/on stage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Center

Center Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanimarika
    Nobody is forcing them to cry. These emotions that causes them to shed is either from happiness or sadness. Its a job where you need to make people happy and share a bond with them. 48 is where great things happen. Having a connection with members and fans in one place then transferred to somewhere else or a friend announced graduation. Or someone who was selected as a senbatsu member or even a center. These things are valuable to members. These are kids that are always visible to the people. I'm glad they have this kind of attitude for they show how the importance of friendship... Hardwork and values..
    Setting a good example to society.. Because these kind of things are rare these days...

Its not respect that I get. It's the emotion that shows on those tears.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  12. MayuMK30048

MayuMK30048 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    crying is another form of showing a person's emotion. it's not like this idols have full control of their tears or emotions. it's just natural for people to cry whether their idols or just a normal citizen. their not manufactured robots. sometimes I wonder if some people are forgetting this girls are just humans also and their are times they could snapped or have a breaking point also.
    even Mayuyu aka AKB's cyborg girl or the perfect idol can't put a perfect "it's fine by me to lose to Sasshi" face with that smile she's pulling off at the 2013 SSK or when she cried at the 2010 SSK where she decrease a rank over Tomochin.

13. Hedoko Akina

Hedoko Akina Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    When an idol cries you can tell they have a lot of passion for the group.

but there are a few times I've been watch variety shows and saw some of them cry and thought it was a little immature.
    a few other situations I think, "dang it, why you make ze idol cry? :gavel: throw some peeps in the wota jail"

Like if Yuko was so afraid of balloons, they probably should have let her sit that challenge out.
    or did another challenge. my goodness. :hehe: I felt so bad, but I can't say that it wasn't entertaining.

but seriously, I think Oshima Yuko may have or had "Globophobia"
    I don't know whats odder, the fact it's a real phobia, or the fact that an ex AKB member might have it.
    the fear of balloons :^^;: hehe my goodness.
    birthday parties must be a nightmare.

14. HogwartsHokage

HogwartsHokage Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    I also don't think crying is a sign of weakness. In fact, seeing an idol cry just makes me respect the idol a lot more because she really cares about her work and how she interacts with her fans. (Although to be honest, I was a bit annoyed with Yuihan crying uncontrollably during her first two SSKs.)

I have a tendency to cry uncontrollably, even in public, so I don't think I would mind if I end up crying in front of the camera. If people judge me or laugh at me, I can care less.

15. unkowwn

unkowwn Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

I'd cry. I cry at work so I wouldnt see a difference in being human in a public eye. It's not like they are crying for senseless reasons.

16. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    This is really showing your ignorance imho. There are lots of male idols (I'm talking about Jpop groups at least. And I heard Kpop male idols also do the same too) who have cried previously, or in fact, quite a lot. Having been in lots of male idols fandom before, most fans embrace, if not, were very touched when their idols cry. Fans even make fanfic, videos and memes to show that their idols have shed tears, which shows their bond and dedication to fans and work. Tears do not show or symbolizes weakness. Nor that only women can cry and men who cry are weaklings. Those views are such outdated and narrow-minded concept and also sexist (which you apparently suggest in your comments). Shedding tears does not mean escapping from the problem too. That is just harmful overgeneralization

That being said, I also disagree and hope people should not pretend to gain sympathy by crying (or any other thing). They should cry when they really feel they want to cry (except in acting). But, tbh, I dont think Japanese idols have the ability to act that well, especially akb (even Yuko and Rena have incredibly poor acting) etc. (There are instances where some idols who can act quite well, like Nino.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. michishige

michishige Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    murashigeanna
    I would cry on sousenkyo and concerts, but not on variety shows.

18. kirifuda

kirifuda Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Twitter:
    akaihoshi15
    What are you talking about?

I'm always crying. :cry:

19. Discothèque

Discothèque Member

Oshimen:
    anaichihiro
    Twitter:
    _ohmyArin
    No of course I wouldn't cry. Why do people cry all the time? What happened with keeping your emotions in check?

20. badwolf0048f

badwolf0048f Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Of course I would cry, after all we're humans. If a member you're close graduates of course you'll cry, If you work really really hard for center position and you end third of course you'll cry, its only normal.