The "oshimen" field discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by unwanted, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    That is one of the most commonly made errors in the overseas fandom. The "oshi-" in "oshimen" has nothing to do with the English "to push". It's easy to assume it does since the two terms for "to push" and "to support" are homonyms (sound identical) and are both used in the fandom. It's important to note though that they're entirely different words, just like "bat" and "bat" (the animal vs. the baseball bat) or "fall" and "fall".

推す "osu" (conj. "oshi-") = to support
    押す "osu" (conj. "oshi-") = to push

Notice the difference in Kanji. Oshimen is written 推しメン. "Pushing" is what management does.

"Kami" for example doesn't only mean "divine"/"God" either, but can also mean "hair" or "paper". They're all written using separate Kanji though.

Naah, most people have more than one "member they like". I do too. I like any and every member. But that's different from my oshimen. Supporting a member isn't putting a dozen of them in your signature.

If it had no real purpose, I wouldn't have implemented it. I'd go so far as to say it's the most purposeful option from all the things on your profile, more so than your nationality, age or gender.
    As I've said before in this thread "having an oshimen is what it's all about. It's the first thing everyone will want to know about you. It's the most relevant piece of information identifying you as a fan of AKB48." It doesn't matter who you're talking to. Whether it's among fans at a handshake event or among people who don't care about AKB but just found out that you like them. The first question is going to be "Who's your oshimen?". Whenever you mention AKB48 (at least in Japan), anyone anywhere will ask you about that. That we, as a forum for AKB48, ask that question is only the most natural thing. It gives you an identity.

Also, quite simply, I want people to decide, because that's what this whole idol thing is about. Making a choice. Enough of that wishy-washy "I have twenty oshimen and I gotta list them in my signature" attitude. The more you do that the more uninteresting you become to other members. Supporting a member isn't putting two dozen of them in your profile.

Yes, I know. It's not always easy. I don't expect it to be simple for everyone. I've had my times where I wasn't sure anymore. But that time will come where you'll know. There is no shame at having none selected. If any of you would like it better I could change "n/a" (not applicable) to "undecided". I didn't make it that in the first place because I believe people might not choose one for other reasons.

Something similar is planned for when the new rules get posted.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. hjr1891

hjr1891 Member

Oshimen:
    IxR
    Those other options on my profile. Yeah, they are OPTIONS. This is arbitrary and serves no purpose. Your semantics don't change that.

You did not ask who my Oshimen is. You demanded to know, and for everybody else to know.

3. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    It serves the very real purpose of letting others know that your oshimen is Kashiwagi Yuki in contrast to them not being so sure about who your oshimen is at all. It's for the better of the forum, you as a contributor and all other members that cross paths with you. We all know a little bit more about you now. It's pretty reasonable and I don't see how one would consider it even remotely arbitrary. Now... having something like "Favorite song" or "Marital status" would be arbitrary.

And sure, I made it a requirement. I was hesitant to do that. Making it an option is, well... a viable option. Then again most seem to be pretty comfortable with, if not happy about it being just what it is. I believe what you want to say is not that it doesn't serve any purpose, but that you just don't like the idea of being told that you have to do something.

When you say "you demanded to know, and for everyone else to know" you make it sound as if that's bad thing. Yes, I want other people to know more about you. I did give you the "n/a" option though, so there's really no MUST here. In any case you don't seem to have an issue with letting people know that your oshimen is Yukirin (and why would you?), so where's the actual issue?
    It seems like you're more concerned about the principle. That I'm not making it optional even though you're actually fine with having it show in your own case. Would you in all honesty want something so elemental to be an optional field? Some having it, others not... I don't know about that. Would seem like a good reason for not having it at all, no?

What does everyone else think? Is the "Oshimen" field really too much to ask for? Does it make you feel being "lorded over"?

No one will remember this a month from now.

4. otoppoi

otoppoi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Is this real life? I'm completely baffled by the discussion over this oshimen field. List one, don't list one, no one is being held at gunpoint here.

But why? It's not asking for your cup size or your net income. I truly don't understand the issue here...you make it very clear who your oshimen is all over the forum, but being asked to declare this information in your profile is some kind of violation? If you were American, I'm guessing you'd be part of the Tea Party.

I think ~entrance announcements~ on discussion boards are only slightly more tolerable than YAGEs, but I do warmly welcome newbies who post in my oshi's thread. Does that count? :awesome:

5. Madoka

Madoka Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

I don't mind as long as N/A is there for those who aren't sure. As you said, it's one of the things I'm curious about other members.

Although it may have unintended consequences when a Mayuyu fan posts in the Paruru thread. :awesome:

6. hjr1891

hjr1891 Member

Oshimen:
    IxR
    You are right. I got no issue with my telling people I am Yukirin-Oshi. I am proud to be her fan. If someone really wanted to know this info they could just ask, as a number of others have asked me previously. It actually led to some nice dialogs, and a few not so nice.

This is putting words in my mouth. Please don't.

@otoppoi I saw the word "requirement" and it really did rub me the wrong way. Would have been nice as an option. And @HRP's justification and subsequent word choices left me feeling a bit nitpicky. Honestly, seeing all those "sent from my blah,blah,blah using Tapatalk" annoys me more.

I will stop now.

7. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Alright, that's not my intention. As I said: it's something I thought about and I considered making it only an option at first. I know some people would like it better as such, but I feel the forum is more consistent this way.

As for the Tapatalk issue: unfortunately we can't disable that from our end. But I believe it's more or less the same thing like the "Sent from my iPhone" that you get by default at the end of mails on your iPhone. I think the Tapatalk app automatically makes it a part of your message, but it should be removable manually.

8. Parikkuren

Parikkuren Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Can you not bring this sh*t here? Like, ever? Nothing personal, but the last thing I want to hear about here is an extremely volatile part of American politics. It's hard enough to avoid IRL, getting the unpleasant surprise of American political mudslinging here of all places is really depressing. Not to mention the comparison doesn't even make sense.

thanks.

9. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

I have no problem with it.

I did notice one problem with the list though. You have Takajo Aki listed, this should be changed to Puffin.

10. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    No, in fact I think the people complaining about it are being completely ridiculous.

11. unwanted

unwanted Kenkyuusei

I understand why it's an important part of fandom. But I'd really like to point out that the people who are most ardently in favor of having it be a requirement (as nobody is against it as an option) are people who have the means to interact with the members in person (e.g. live in Japan or go there frequently).

It's often pointed out how much your appreciation of the group and its members changed when you see a theater performance, that you can basically not appreciate an idol's entire performance if you haven't seen her up close at least once. It's been pointed out that being part of a birthday committee, trading pictures and meeting other fans are a vital part of being a "complete fan". And I don't really disagree with this. To be a fan from the outside is a different beast than to be a domestic fan. You can still have favourites and if you have a deep attachment to an individual member you can still have an oshi but it's just not the same.

So, this is, honestly why I am baffled about this being a requirement. I have no way of knowing if Tomu would be my Oshi if I met her or if Tano or Dasu would win me over with their charm. I favor a few members from afar but I don't feel a deep, personal attachment to any individual member. I like Wasamin and if someone asked me, I'd totally say that I am a fan of hers. But she isn't my oshi. The difference between MY appreciation for her and Cristafari's appreciation for her is enormous. If I said Tomu was my oshi because she's pretty and her awkwardness is adorable and hey, she just seems sorta nice - a bunch of you would sit behind your screens and either roll your eyes or smirk at that. And you'd probably be right.

I put Tomu because I'd like to know if some big dramatic news happened to involve her. Most of my other favorites have a more dilligent fanbase who updates everything very quickly anyway. So it's a practical decision and that was that for me. But I am honestly baffled as to why the same group of people who goes about quoting definitions of what an oshi is - which are 100% based on the experience as a domestic fan/frequently visiting fan - are thinking it's ridiculous that foreign fans can't just pick an oshi already.

It's absolutely okay to say it's a forum rule, please deal with it. But don't make it look like those of us who asked or wrote about it are being ridiculous or stupid. Respect goes both ways.

12. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    In all fairness that is not what I am saying. And to be honest, the one reason I can fully understand is someone saying "Hey, I'm still relatively new to this fandom. So I'm just not sure who my oshi is yet". I get where those people are coming from. So in that respect I personally don't see a problem with somebody saying "Not Yet Decided"

However, when I hear reasons like "It is an invasion of my privacy", or "I have ten oshis", or people saying they don't want to do it based on some sort of weird principle. Then I don't know how else to describe it. It IS ridiculous. Let's not lose sight of the fact that they are simply asking you to pick a favorite member. Not your credit card number, not donate a kidney, not asking you to make a life commitment. Just pick a favorite member. You can change it later if you like. It's supposed to be a fun exercise, but a few people are turning it into an unnecessary colossal controversy.

This is seriously going to open up a can of worms, but I feel I have to "go there" given what you wrote. You mention the fact that most people supporting the oshimen banner are people who have certain firsthand experiences. That should tell you something. Many of us who have those experience would love to be a great resourse for those who haven't yet. The problem is whenever we do try to act in that capacity we are often met with a bit of resistance. It's all good when someone wants us to help them pick up their concert tickets or assist them through ticket center registration. However, the moment we attempt to clarify a misconception, or try to explain how it works in Japan according to our experience we are branded as elitist, braggarts, whatever. It isn't everyone that does it, but it does happen a lot. To be frank, it sometimes makes me not want to help people. You can't have it both ways. I know most fans here want to have as authentic an experience as possible with this group regardless of whether or not they ever see AKB48 perform in person. In that case it becomes somewhat hypocritical to then say "Well, I'm not in Japan and I have never seen a show or met a member, so those customs shouldn't apply to me" The truth is one of the big reasons the oshi banner was put in place is to shatter this concept that you can have an infinite amount of oshimen. That's it. BTW Unwanted, from the way you describe your struggle with choosing your oshimen, I can see that you have taken many things that have been said in the past to heart. That's great!

As I said earlier the main point is to have fun. That's what being into AKB is all about. Truthfully there really isn't any rule on how you are supposed to enjoy the group aside from the obvious decorum. However, keep in mind there are many contributing here who are attempting to make this the most authentic experience possible. Many of us can explain the processes of concerts, events, theater shows and other things of that nature. And not only the people who live in or go to Japan. Also the people who do translations. The people that scour the net for the latest news. The people who provide the photographs. The people who set up shops. The mods here and their tremendous effort to upgrade and enhance this forum. There are many ways to have fun and contribute to our little society here without any consideration of firsthand experience, or how much merchandise you have purchased, or how much Japanese you speak. Lets make this a fun place to hang out.

13. chewybacca

chewybacca Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sudaakari
    Twitter:
    mhcc27
    To add to what has already been mentioned:

Let's put this in a real life situation. You go to a concert, theater performance, whatever, in Japan. Someone next to you notices that you're clearly not from Japan and you exchange greetings and so forth. First question that is bound to be asked is "who is your oshimen?" What are you going to repsond? "DD"? Cue nervous chuckles. *tumbleweed*

It's okay to pick ONE (and only one). In fact, it's perfectly normal. Anything contrary to that and it's because you're either new to the whole thing (fair enough) or something isn't quite right.

(And let's not get started on the whole hako-oshi "thing" - high chance that they would have an (sing.) oshimen anyway despite what they proclaim).

14. Tensai

Tensai Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uchiyamanatsuki
    Twitter:
    Tensai
    I agree with everything Cristafari said. I'm also not saying that everyone has to pick an oshimen or have one. Perfectly all right to be MD or DD or have multiple members you like.

Nobody is forcing or requiring anyone to pick an oshimen, there is a n/a option. There is also no requirement to 'meet every member in person, or step foot in Japan' to have an oshimen. I was a Yui oshi for over 2 years before I met her. I'm was also a huge fan of Michael Schumacher, but have never been to an F1 race or seen him in person. Still didn't it make it hard for me to say that he's my favorite F1 driver. Likewise, I'm a diehard Cubs fan, even though it's been nearly 20 years since I was at a game. Doesn't mean I don't follow other drivers or watch Giants games, but if people ask 'who is your favorite driver' or 'favorite baseball team', I don't even have to think to answer.

Heh, maybe it would be easier if people,though of it like a sports team. You have a favorite team and player, most fans will buy team merchandise and player jerseys. Liking an AKS team and having an oshimen is no different. It's like Mr Waffle said, when it comes down to it, there usually is one person you root for more than anyone else.

and again, there is the n/a option. Though I agree there should be undecided, MD, and DD options too. Maybe even a 'himitsu' for those who don't want to reveal it for whatever reason. (Though again, it's part of the fandom. You are showing your support for that member - so what's wrong with that? Not like we're going to judge you based on the member you like). But if you don't know, you don't know, and there is nothing wrong with saying that either.

BTW Unwanted, I don't know anyone who would roll their eyes or smirk at your reasons for liking Tomu. It's pretty much the same reasons why most of us like our oshi's. It's the little things they do that caught our eye and hooked us, it's not just because all they can do is sing and dance. In fact, most of the time it's because it's because of everything else that makes them stand apart for us.

15. tritoch

tritoch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tsuzukirika
    I think the problem is the unclear definition of 'oshi'. We throw the word around but we never really have a general understanding of what an oshi is so, to test it out, without looking for reference, tell me what 'oshi' or 'oshimen' means as a reply in this thread. The replies will be interesting and varied I can guarantee it.

16. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    Can one of you just make another thread for that oshi discussion. It's dragging too long already and murdering what is supposed to be a festive mood in this thread for the new forum design.

Seriously, please.

17. Theli

Theli Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
    All this discussion about oshimen just reminded me why i never chose a oshi in the first place.
    I've been following AKB (and a little bit of SKE) all this time as a group. I had my favourites members of course, but i've never felt compelled to put them in a strict rank: "this one is my kami-oshi", "this one is the 2nd member i like the most and who i would like to support", and so on (well, i was pretty close to that [regarding choosing a oshi] at some point with Kuumin, just before the announcement of her graduation). And I never cared if i was wrong or not, according to the rules and norms of the fans' regiment. By the way, i always find amazing how people can be so nitpicky, demanding and judger about the most random things when it comes to idols.:glare:

But I'm in the process of leaving this fandom altogether, so i couldn't care less about all this useless terminology... :whistle:

18. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    Thank you for the input, I'm sure some are glad to hear that decision of yours. Now, does anyone has something to post that doesn't include the word 'oshi'. It's been an annoying word lately.

We are totally going off topic here! :fp:

19. natsu-kun

natsu-kun Kenkyuusei Wiki48 Admin

Oshimen:
    48 x 404
    Twitter:
    48nefi
    It would be better if the field just hides automatically if you choose the "(n/a)" option..

20. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

And this is part of why the field was introduced. Because the foreign fandom tends to define it as 'any member I'm a fan of' and that's not quite right. If you read the other replies in this thread about what an oshimen is actually supposed to be (versus a label like "DD" or "MD"), you will get the right definition.

Point is, your oshimen is the member you support above all others. Maybe even the singular member you support in a group. It might be harder overseas to make that distinction since support options are more limited (no handshakes, theaters, etc) but it was probably high time to at least sort out the definition of oshimen for people who list many members as their oshimen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.