[CONCERT] - [AKB48 in Washington, DC] '12/03/27

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by HoneyRoastedPeanuts, Mar 13, 2012.

1. flagator21

flagator21 Member

My AKB48 experience in Washington D.C., 3/27/2012 - Part 2 (First concert)

4:00 concert

At last the line started to move about 3:10. The staff checked our tickets/ID's and inside the lobby we went. There was a man handing out flyers with the concert promo on it. Bummer that there were no other freebies. In NY they handed out a bandana/hankerchief to wave around (especially for during Hikoukigumo). Inside the theatre, the left and right section of seats were roped off for VIP/press members, leaving just the middle section. We ended up sitting slightly right of center, 6th row. Pretty decent seats. Looking around, the theatre itself was pretty impressive.

We were treated to instrumentals of recent singles while we waited for the show to start. Camera crews were helping pump up the crowd, going around and filming everyone. I noticed many fans in front and on the outside of the rows getting interviewed. Nice! A little while later, the staff were passing out glowsticks to each row. Yatta! :^O^: I was afraid I would be stuck without any after forgetting mine at home. Every now and then, an announcement was given covering the rules... no cameras or videos, please put them away or we will be forced to take them, etc, etc. They did have a few guys walking up and down the aisles looking for any, so I didn't risk it.

Finally, a familiar voice came over the speakers. Takamina kage-ana! Not long now! :omfg:

A few minutes later... overture! :^O^: :^O^: :^O^:

From where I was sitting it was impossible to see the girls as they walked on stage because of the lights, so I had no idea what was coming up first. The crowd was into it, but the chant wasn't how it should have been. Again, to be expected from an overseas concert. I won't go in depth on the setlist, because some others have already, and we'll be seeing this streamed on Google+ soon!

Bam! The lights come on and HELLO MOCCHI. Haha. Flying get is a fun song live. Hell, they all are. The girls were wearing the same floral dresses that they used in Jakarta. Took me all of 2 seconds to find Miichan, who was in her usual spot for the song. Actually, that was how it was for most of the concert. Other girls were filling the spots of missing senbatsu. Everyday, Kachuusha followed. The audience was pretty pumped up for the first MC.

MC 1 (Self introductions)

I was excited for this MC because you knew the members were going to give their best shot using English. I think the only ones to start with their usual catchphrases were: Akicha, Miorin, and Hillary. Each member received a decent cheer from the crowd, with Takamina, Miichan, and Akicha getting the most love. You could tell the newer members (the ones who've never performed in the USA before) were super nervous. Even Hillary stumbled over her words a bit. It's so cute watching them try, so we'll forgive their mistakes. I think Miroin was pretty surprised when a lot of the crowd mimicked the Fresh Lemon move with her, haha. [hehe]

Best intro goes to Umechan, though.

"When I say Ton-ton-ton-ton-ton, you say Washing-ton! OK?" [clap]

The units were fantastic. Bird live is AMAZING. That's my sister's favorite song and she was going nuts. We were treated to Kiseki wa Ma ni Awanai and Gyakuten Oujisama back to back along with the little exchange between the girls like at a K6 show. I was in total Miichan wota mode during the latter. So much so, I didn't even realize that Juri and Nattsun were there for a good minute. Plenty of Miichan eye contact during the song! It was surreal. We also had a healthy "Mii-chan! Mii-chan! Mii-chan!" chant going during the bridge. Nothing like a concert in Japan, but hey.. it was something. Heart gata Virus was awesome. Kioku no Dilemma, though... that has to be one of my favorite AKB unit songs ever. I was loving every second of that performance. :D

MC 2 (Takahashi M, Miyazawa, Minegishi, Hirata)

This MC was great. Hillary polled the audience on certain topics. The other girls would react and talk for a bit after each question, then a translator would tell everyone what was said in English.

I'm not exactly sure what the order of the questions Hillary asked was but here are most of them:
    Who knew AKB before today?
    Who didn't know AKB?
    Who has been to Japan?
    Who has been to the theater in Akihabara?
    AKB have performed in New York and Los Angeles before. Who have attended those concerts? - An amazing thing happened to me personally here. Miichan/Takamina/Sae looked straight at me and pointed/waved for a couple of seconds!! OMG, THEY REMEMBER ME FROM NY. I will never forget Miichan's face... she was beaming. I can't tell you in words what kind of feeling that is, when your oshi remembers you. Especially since it's been 2.5 years. I couldn't believe it. I'll admit, I teared up a bit.

Then, Takamina talked for a bit about the earthquake/tsunami and thanked America on behalf of Japan for their relief support, and that the next song symbolized the fighting spirit of the Japanese people. Like some, I thought it would have been Dareka tame ni, but instead it was Kazefui. One of those songs that's 100x better live. That led into Beginner, and then a quick outfit change for Ponyshu. At the end of that song when they do the hand gesture, I noticed Miichan was looking right at me again! The last song of this block was Sakuki. Of all the newer Sakura songs this one is my favorite, so I was stoked.

After the song ended, the girls started waving good-bye and walking off stage. I don't know whose idea it was to start the encore WHILE THERE WILL STILL 3 MEMBERS ON STAGE, but they did. I mean, come on... don't they realize what the girls' schedule has been like over the previous week? Give them a few minutes to change and get refreshed for Christ's sake! Ranting aside, the encore lasted for a good 5 minutes, and when the girls came back onstage they had mic stands with them, so Hebirote was next! Umechan rocked the opening dance move! Finally, the ending song was Sakuhana. YES! If you ask my opinion, this is THE definitive AKB48 song. I was happy they chose to do it. TakaMii center! During the chorus, those of us that knew how did the hand gestures along with them. Quite a few approving smiles from Miichan came in my direction. I didn't want it to end. :cry:

Of course, all good things must come to an end. The girls bowed for final time and walked off stage waving and playing to the fans. I almost burst a lung screaming for Miichan when she was at her closest point to me center stage. She must have seen me because not only did she wave, SHE WINKED at me. My heart went up in my throat for a split second. That makes 4 total now (I got 3 of them in NY. Haha).

With no hope of a double encore, my sister and I exited the theater as fast as we could so we could start queueing up for the second concert. When we got into line, the spot we had was pretty close to where we were lined up for the first one. Sweet!

To be continued...

2. sikanwan

sikanwan Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sikanwan
    Captain Flaggy!!
    It's not 2.5 years! You have kept your support to her in different ways which makes her remember you! [rock]

I am looking forward to see the self introduction most now!! :XD:
    That must be interesting!!

3. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Well, perhaps it was better that way, too much cuteness might have killed you… ;)
    Thank you. I will pass it on to my dictionaries… :hehe:
    That won’t be like being there, but it’s good to know it…
    I think next time I will leave you tied tightly in a closet so that the rest of Miichan fans are allowed to have a bit of Miichan’s love… [hehe]

4. flagator21

flagator21 Member

^
    Actually, it was quite hard to get her attention. There were plenty of other fans receiving it!

I don't know if you saw him, or if he's a stager or not, but there was a guy who made a Miichan virus mask and I remember him sitting first row in the 2nd concert. She was laughing at him quite often :hehe:

5. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

I didn't see him, but it's hardly surprising because I decided (for my ear's sake) to go upstairs for the second concert so, even though I had a great view from there, I wasn't able to concentrate on anyone...
    PS: however, when the concert ended, perhaps you felt like someone was watching you from above...Ue kara Carles... [hehe]

6. maki2589

maki2589 Kenkyuusei

awesome [rock] !
    hmm its two and a half hours so are they gonna be streaming both concerts? this is gonna be so freaking awesome im connecting my laptop to my tv for sure fuck mass effect 3 tomorrow [flip] :D

thats awesome flagator. i got a few waves and eye contacts from some of the girls too, i think i even got a heart from reinyan :inlove: (she did like a binocular heart and covered most of her face so i didnt get a good look, i thinks its her though). made a couple of eye contcts with sae and akicha too, but sadly no takamina, i was behind a big guy during the first concert so eventhough im right in front of her it may have been hard to see me :fp: and during the second she wasnt on the left of the stage much :cry: .

7. Allocer

Allocer Kenkyuusei

Wow, did not know they would stream the concert's footage. Guess what I'm doing at work tomorrow? Getting another dose of Miichan.

8. honeysenpai

honeysenpai Kenkyuusei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtwbMs_9WYk
    Twitter:
    missingno15
    When I heard about this on the NSK SP live broadcast, I thought it was a complete lie. Well I really thought that they were gonna release on a dvd or something. Oh well thats better for us I guess

9. Jet Ready Go

Jet Ready Go Kenkyuusei

Final batch of the "good" shots taken from the second concert in Washington D.C.

http://bit.ly/H1LJ9o

[​IMG]

10. kenziekinz

kenziekinz Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
    I think so, you had the buttons right? Or did more than one person from Seattle come? lol

11. Tensai

Tensai Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uchiyamanatsuki
    Twitter:
    Tensai
    If it's like other one-off events (including the NY US live) - this will likely be on one of the next DVD magazines. Especially since they filmed it for broadcast and it was a popular topic on the morning shows.

12. piggypa

piggypa Kenkyuusei

OMG..they are going to stream it for 2.5 hrs? then i think it will be for both concerts!! I wonder if anyone will record it...then we can all watch it over and over again for the excitement we had..XDD...If only i don't have work tmr morning..then i would go watch it while it is streaming..but...sucks to have work...T^T..hopefully someone will record it...XDD

13. joe.48

joe.48 Kenkyuusei

I have work unti 7AM but Ill try to come home asap and record it :awesome:

14. Jet Ready Go

Jet Ready Go Kenkyuusei

To whomever contacted me in DC about the Baby Blossom Sticker/Guitar Picks set I just got the guitar picks in so, in case you don't see the update in the shop thread, I'll be sending them out Monday. Thanks to anyone who purchased the set.

[​IMG]

15. flagator21

flagator21 Member

Thanks Jet, del, Jman and everyone else for sharing the awesome pictures. Great job! [clap]

16. Des-LAW

Des-LAW Kenkyuusei

If during the stream of the first concert you notice all the girls stop & stare for a moment during sae's MC, you'll know who to blame.

17. honeysenpai

honeysenpai Kenkyuusei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtwbMs_9WYk
    Twitter:
    missingno15
    :awesome:

18. maki2589

maki2589 Kenkyuusei

lol, ill be sure to keep an eye for it :D

19. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Kenkyuusei

I am supposed to get off at 6, but I will try my hardest to get off a bit earlier so I can race home and hit record on the stream. Wish me luck.

20. Allocer

Allocer Kenkyuusei

Isn't that in about 12 hours from now? Like in the morning-ish for us Americans?