Event / Concert AKB48 49th Single Senbatsu Sousenkyo (17/06/17)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ET920

ET920 Member

This election was going to be the smallest one in like 5 or 6 years. Senkyo is the biggest event not because it gets the largest amount of fans, but because of its meaning. It'd be really nice if, for their 10th election, they scale it down to Budoukan or similar small place to go back to the old, intimate ones that were done back in time, when members were seated just meters away from fans and they could actually see both members and fans' faces from the stand.

Everything continues as planned, except at another location.

Yes, they knew this could happen, just like they knew it back in 2014. Back then they risked and it worked, even though it rained all day long. This time, just like with Yuko's graduation concert, it just didn't work.

2. nachtangel

nachtangel Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    I understand why they took the gamble for this place, it looks like it could have been incredible and I understand why they have had to cancel. What I don't understand is why they don't have a proper Plan B. That is bad organisation, yes pin all your hopes on the amazing outdoor event but have an actual plan B. That can fit all the girls and the fans in, yes it may not look as nice but it can still be a SSK as it should be fans & members together.
    Not of the same scale of course but I helped organise a huge party for a client and part of it was outdoors with fireworks etc. 3 days before the event the client goes OH BUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF IT RAINS??? We'd already ordered see-through umbrellas, months in advance, for all the guests so they could still stand in the rain and see the amazing firework display, because we planned ahead and knew that its England, theres a good chance its gonna rain. Now I know they couldn't order 10k umbrellas and this is more serious then just some rain BUT they had a whole year to think up a back up plan.

A whole year and judging by how reports are all over the place they clearly had no solid back up plan.

I just feel for all the fans that flew out there, its not cheap and with the weather so bad they cant exactly enjoy Okinawa to its fullest and the members must be so crushed as well, it just wont be the same

3. Maalat

Maalat Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yagurafuuko
    But I was answering specifically to this "did they really search for the weather condition when they decided on that day?"
    And as if they don't already know how it is over there. I'm sure they were prepared for rain, but this was probably too much. Many concerts have gone on even while it's raining.

4. x_AozoraKataomoi_x

x_AozoraKataomoi_x Member

Oshimen:
    takeisara
    Twitter:
    X2783
    A financial disaster of this scale would already warrant a mass graduation then an indefinite hiatus after Kohaku.

5. Lalo Martins

Lalo Martins Member

Oshimen:
    Kudo Riko (48), Takase Kurumi
    Twitter:
    martins_lalo
    It's still true. When I have to plan a long stay at a place, I always look at historical weather trends. (Even though in the last few years that doesn't mean that much anymore.) This information is readily available. Go a few pages back, someone even posted a link.

6. ET920

ET920 Member

Relocating the girls where? Relocating the 10k-20k fans where? Do you think 2 extra days would have allowed them to move everything to another location? Or that you can just go to Okinawa stadium and tell them, "look, we need to rent this for an event in 4 days"? You either book the place months in advance, or not rent it at all. They booked the beach, and the small city hall in case something went wrong. Back in February/March they had already talked about holding the event indoors without fans if weather went wrong. That far back they planned this plan B.

No backup plan would be cancelling the event and not doing senkyo at all. They had a backup plan, moving the girls to another location and broadcasting it from there.

Obviously, your backup plan can't be as big as your main plan. You can't have the beach prepared as main location and rented the stadium in case it rained as plan B.

AKS isn't taking that big of a hit, though. Sure, they have to reimburse the tickets' money, but it's not as if it'll dent their finances. They knew cancelling was one of the options, and they wouldn't have chosen Okinawa if cancelling it would make them go red numbers. It's Okinawa Family Mart and the ones who invested on the event the ones who'll be hit the harder. But television rights are going to be fulfilled, and they might even show full speeches since the event will be much straightforward and at a quicker pace.

7. Xanthon

Xanthon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanakamiku
    They decided to hold it in Okinawa because it's heavily sponsored by family mart and the Okinawa government.

8. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

Apologies but I am very confused. I understand that the concert is cancelled but are they still going to announce the rankings/results tomorrow?

9. nakotteiijan

nakotteiijan Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    矢吹奈子
    Yes. In a closed space and without the fans, but they will.

10. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

Thanks a million :)

11. Maalat

Maalat Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yagurafuuko
    ?? I don't get this.
    What's still true?
    Someone asked if they even researched the weather conditions on that day,
    I answered that it's impossible to predict weather from 6months to 1year before the date, someone else answered "But that's not "predicting weather". It's being logical" I answered with what you quoted from me, which you cut the last part out.

So what's still true? that they didn't research the conditions? No one said they didn't, someone was asking.

Also this is the part you cut out from my post
    "And as if they don't already know how it is over there. I'm sure they were prepared for rain, but this was probably too much. Many concerts have gone on even while it's raining." meaning they already knew that it could rain, It's their country they know better than anyone not from there what the weather conditions are before they booked that place.
    I don't think any organization would last this long if they were idiotic enough to not even consider weather conditions for an outdoor event.

12. KPKgirl

KPKgirl Member

Oshimen:
    Sumire Sato
    When is the BS Perfect sky broadcast of Request Hour Starting? Are they going straight from that to the results show now? Sorry a bit confused.

13. ET920

ET920 Member

None taken. When everyone is emotionally unstable, the best trolling is being rational :shifty:

They are showing 100-76 results, which I guess takes as long as the senkyo concert itself, so I guess they're keeping the timetable. And yes, they will probably fade out, then fade in into the hall.

14. ABF48

ABF48 Member

I'm tryin to see it from fuji tv pov, they might think there's no marketing point for this year ssk.

Afterall what they care the most is rating and how many adds they got, but now that the news about the event cancellation was alrdy spread, they might think twicely to broadcast the event.

And lets say the rating for this year ssk was such disaster, they probably wont air the next year ssk.

15. ET920

ET920 Member

^ What? Again, people care the most about the positions, not the fans nor the fireworks. Now the only way to watch the senkyo is via television, you can't attend there now :awesome: And with all the buzz regarding the concert fiasco, people will be more interested in hearing which members publicly complain. Plus Ogiyuka 1st in preliminaries and Jurina beating both Mayuyu and Sasshi, that alone will probably make every wota watch it regardless of place. Wouldn't be surprised if this senkyo gets the highest ratings in a long time, maybe ever.

Also, for Fuji TV it'll be much cheaper to broadcast, the event itself will be more streamlined, there won't be wind or rain interference, they might even get live interviews. The only thing is that some members won't be there (I think NMB48 didn't arrive at all, not sure about HKT48), but again, NMB48 is usually the group placing the fewest members :awesome: (other than NGT48, obviously, but NMB48 got more recognized members than NGT48 til now).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  16. ptakbfan

ptakbfan Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    watanaberika
    Yeah, the station is not going to cancel even after the fiasco. With all the drama and uproar over various things, there is even more reason to tune in: to see how the girls will react in this setting, how the Ogiyuka thing turns out, senbatsu in the face of all the non-participation of top members this year. The people who were already going to watch are still going to watch - nothing has changed for them except for the RH showing instead of the concert. Sure the fan element is taken away and that is sad, but for entertainment broadcasts (concerts, sporting events, live coverage of events), the majority of people tuning in are there for the main subjects, not to watch footage of the crowd. It's always nice to see the fans cheer, the big crowds participating live, but it's not the core point of the event or broadcast, so there not being a live audience will affect the girls far more than it will affect any fans. And like I said, people may be interested in tuning in just to see how the girls will adjust their reactions since there is no crowd.

Also, even if ratings are worse this year than ever before, I doubt the station has any alternative event to cover that would draw anywhere near the money from ad time that SSK brings. Further, such a drop in ratings would be considered in the context of the history of the broadcast and executives would consider any anomalous events (i.e. this cancellation drama) in their decision making for the following year. Just because a decision turns out poorly once doesn't mean that it will again, especially if the conditions from the first decision are unlikely to repeat themselves again. Now if the ratings drop and AKS decides to hold the event in Okinawa again next year... then we have a problem lol

17. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    it won't be the first time Management is making bad decision. Pennant Race was one of the most confusing thing ever

18. YJSN_ParuYuko

YJSN_ParuYuko Member

Oshimen:
    Yamauchi Mizuki
    Twitter:
    fanboyjaehyun
    so, where they'll announce it tomorrow? it's so sad that they'll face only friends and rivals' reaction without any fans lol.

19. Lalo Martins

Lalo Martins Member

Oshimen:
    Kudo Riko (48), Takase Kurumi
    Twitter:
    martins_lalo
    It's still true that they could have researched. It's pretty clearly explained in the part of my post that you cut out ;) We've been predicting weather months in advance for centuries. Sure you can't tell whether it's going to rain on a given day, but you can tell what the odds are. As I said, the information is available and easy to find.

And specifically the word used was “research”, not “check the forecast”. It's still true that they could and should have researched. And to be fair they probably did, which is why, as other people said, there was a (not very good but still) plan B.

Here's the rest of your post so you don't feel bad about it being cut. :v:

[/QUOTE]

20. soul.assassin

soul.assassin Member