[BLOG48] translators' thread

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by loveandcoffee, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    I tried adding to twitter a few months back and got rejected. She also doesn't post on ebi that much because of work.

2. ithebigc

ithebigc Stage48 Admin Retired Staff

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    Oh, I had no idea we even had this thread. I tried posting this in the other blog translating thread and got no response, so I guess I'll copy and paste here
    So...for the girls that are not being updated at all, is it simply a matter of people not having access?

Also, I like Gingerninja's suggestion of moving it to Blogger; my Japanese level wasn't high enough when this project was first started so I don't know the details of how this worked when it first started, but you guys had to pay for livejournal? But as to why Blogger, everyone here who's an AKB fan should have a Google account of some sort anyways ever since AKB partnered with Google in Japan. Since Blogger is owned by Google, it makes it easy for everyone to participate in the translation process without having to make new accounts, and also allows us to foster a sort of stage48 community outside of this forum too, since everyone can easily leave comments with their G+ account, and share it through G+ too. I don't think maintaining it will be too hard either, we just need one initial person who knows how to setup the layout and then we can start adding authors to the blog and translate as usual.

What does everyone else think?

3. Jul3

Jul3 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    Jul3rd
    I heard that kanki contacted loveandcoffee recently via livejournal, and she added a new blog for her (Matsubara Natsumi).

4. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    Someone needs to step up and take control then. I'm going to be away for the next 4-5 weeks, so I won't have time to do anything even if I wanted to.
    If there was 1-2 people in constant control of decisions and advertising of it or something, it could be much more useful than it is.

5. ithebigc

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    If it's just managing it for a while, I can take care of that since my summer break officially starts now. I'll still be taking classes but definitely I'll be more free than I am during the actual school year.

But either way, we can't really do anything without contacting loveandcoffee and biheart right? And before that, we should decide what we want to do...a couple of us are discussing it here, but there's technically 19? translators working on Blog48. Are we just asking to move to Blogger, and instituting new editors? Or can biheart still keep up the job without loveandcoffee?

6. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    I think we need to discuss it as a group, with all the active translators and anyone else interested in helping how to move forward.

7. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Wait a minute...is the whole BLOG48 going to be moved from LiveJournal to Blogger? Or is BLOG48 being abandoned to start brand new?

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I'm still trying to catch up on things.

8. ithebigc

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    The Blogger thing was suggested by Gingerninja, and I thought it was a good idea since apparently some of Blog48 ran on a paid Livejournal subscription that has since expired so functionality has been lost according to Gingerninja. Blogger is free, and as part of Google, everyone should have a Google account (because of G+) so it'd be easier to discuss blog posts and foster more of a community.

If we move it, I guess it'll be up to individual translators to decide whether to port their translations over or not or just start uploading new posts only. The text will be easily copy and pasted, but if they want the pictures/emoticons it's a little bit more involved, I think.

But before we do anything, we still need more input from currently active translators. What does everyone think should be done regarding the current state of the blog? In my opinion, blog posts are crucial to understanding the girl, so I definitely want to continue improving Blog48 since it provides an important outlet to let international fans know more, and it's a lucky thing stage48 has had so many people willing to take up the task.

9. gideon123

Well, the reason why I ask about the fate of BLOG48 is because if we abandon it now at LiveJournal but still leave it functioning, then the current blog admins could arbitrarily revive it and use it as their own.

We already have two similar English language fan forums that cater to roughly the same audience. I fear that it will be equally troublesome to have two similar blog translation sites. We'd be fighting over not only readers but also translators.

At the very least, I want to totally close BLOG48 at LiveJournal before moving to another blogging site, ya know?

10. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    no ones decided anything. The 2 admins are inactive so new stuff cant be done without them handing power over. So some ppl were duscussing on twitter if itd b best to start sgain because theres so much dead wood and abandoned blogs. We no longer have premium on livejounal, so a lit of options and customisation has been lost too.

These are just ideas. There is no one in charge of anything enough to make a decision, so im just bringing it up for discussion purposes.

11. ithebigc

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    Has the discussion on twitter been going anywhere? Any general consensus about anything?

12. gideon123

There's a discussion on Twitter? o_O

13. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    A while ago we've chatted about it here and there but no, there's no concrete developments beyond what Gingerninja wrote above.

I'm always open for suggestions of any kind, whether it's about improving the current Blog48 or about a new and/or differently managed one. Also willing to help with translations/quality control/things along those lines.

Setting up another blog isn't difficult. We just need to get to together a certain number of members willing enough to spend some time on it regularly; give everyone a thing to be responsible for. Without that even the fanciest blog won't be very lively. ;)

Where do we start?

14. gideon123

I guess rounding up together people who're interested in translating, and which blogs they'd like to translate.

But with that, do we get just active members from STAGE48? Or include people predominantly active on other forums?

I'd personally like to keep things in-house so that things are a bit easier to manage, but at the same time I can see how that can appear isolating.

15. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    It'd be rude to cut out the people who do translate for it but maybe aren't as active here as other places. Ideally we want to replace/fix the current situation, not have a competing thing. It's used by a lot of people who aren't stage members, it's a whole community resource, but as it's tied to the site, having at least the management tied to it makes sense.

Plus the blog48 twitter feed has 1000 ish followers, that'd be a pain in the ass to replace. lol We need some discussion on what best to do, who's willing to do what with regards to running it, before we can make moves on resurecting the livejournal, or starting elsewhere. Who decides they want to lead from the front could always then contact the old admins to ask nicely for access to the old site/twitter etc, to make things easier.

16. gideon123

Okay, then...how do you propose we contact people who're more active on other forums? Or outright never here?

Oh! Do we need like...contact sheets in the event that one avenue of communication goes dead? Because I really don't think it'd be a practical measure to join a forum JUST to PM a person - "Yo, bro...you haven't been translating lately. You aight?"

17. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    If they're active they'll be posting on livejournal, so we can contact them via that. Many of us are members of several forums and or speak to many different people on G+/Twitter etc. There aren't that many current active members, so contacting them wouldn't be hard in the first instance.
    After that, it's kind of up to whoever leads it how they want to keep contact with people.

I don't know what ground rules would be laid down for "claiming" a blog, and or what to do if that translator goes inactive or just disappears (which does happen.)

I'm not going to lie, I'm not exactly active, I post maybe 1 blog a month and only if its something major.

18. gideon123

But what if the guy's like, "Yo, I hate this fool!" or "These guys suck!" and the person we're trying to contact just doesn't reply?

Oh! We can implement an abandonment rule! Like..."Gone for a week or so w/o proper notice = being replaced as primary translator." (I love how I can come up with an answer to my own question just by thinking out loud, haha!)

As for dibs on a blog, I've been under the impression that dibs were first given to the ones who were translating the girl's blog here at the forum. Like, I got dibs on Yuko's blog because I've been translating it here. And the rest were doled out based off of interest or necessity.

Oh, by the way...shotty Yuko's blog if and when we move to another blog site. :D

And do we need weekly meetings? To talk business and just...well, connect? Or just...rely on this thread for whatever whenever it arises? (I'm thinking of business meetings and whatnot. Help keep everyone on board with things, ya know?)

19. ithebigc

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    At the very least, we definitely need to gather for a first meeting of some sort to decide everyone wants to do, perhaps on Facebook or G+ or here. Gingerninja, can we count on you to contact the members who are active but aren't really a part of stage48?

And if we're putting down claims already, can I claim Milky's and Nana's? Both of them haven't been touched since 2011, at least according to the tags. Gingerninja, you were the last to translate Milky's in Dec. 2011, but if you don't mind, I'd like to continue translating them. Nana's was done by AikyiTaizne, who as we all know has moved to ebi48. I can go PM Aikyi on ebi too.

20. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    I only ever claimed 2 blogs, I did like 3 of mirukiis by request, feel free.

Chainangled
    Gekophetweb
    xxjimu
    Chibby_giddy (Gideon)
    gator-yoong (Kanki )
    Starprincessl (Indigoskies)
    rslyo (Rocketstarlauncher)
    Sakanaxkun
    Me

These are the translators that have posted in the last 120 updates or so. If the name is bolded, I know your forum name, if it's not.. sorry I have no idea who you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.