[GENERAL] The AKB48 Thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kyobu, Jun 16, 2007.

1. CDevil

CDevil Member

To be honest I have no idea. I just remember hearing that she's only working with AKB48. It does seem like too much work to choreograph the routines for both MM and AKB48.
    I was going to write in brackets in my post saying that there are exceptions, but then I realised the sheer amount of songs both groups have. If you like the majority of MM's songs, I really can't see how you can't love at least a few of AKB48's, the style's aren't all that different to me. Like I said, if MM released an AKB48 song, I'm sure all MM fans would love it (of course I can't prove that though). By fans I also mean the hardcore ones (who I'm guessing are the majority that post on MM forums), what I said wouldn't apply to those who only like a handful of MM songs. I'm also not comparing AKB48 to the whole of H!P, just MM, since they're the ones AKB48 are compared to most of the time.

@Kyobu: I'm curious about that game you mentioned before, but if it could turn out bad, I guess it's best to leave it.

2. Eques

Eques Kenkyuusei

It could be that she only does the choreography and the initial training before a new Stage or concert. I'm not sure if they still actually practice the dances after a new Stage has started, but if they do, they could just use other dance instructors.

In the making of's for their PVs she's usually pointing out details like it's a refresher course, but at that point they've been doing those dances for quite some time in the theater, so I don't think she works with them on a daily basis. If she did, she would probably have corrected them sooner.

She has done a lot of choreographies for other artists as well, so I assume she just works on a freelance basis.

3. Nessy

Nessy Kenkyuusei

It is true that they both have tons of styles of songs, and technically there should be taste overlap, but Morning Musume does just have a different "feel," as a group. I don't know quite how to explain it. Like I said, I love both a lot (and I am a super hardcore MM fan so not all hardcore MM fans are biased) and I like both of their "feel"s, but neither is for everyone. I mean, there's also plenty of AKB48 fans who don't like MM, and you could say the same thing, that those AKB48 fans would like an MM song if it was done by AKB48. And that's probably true, in either case--even for the people who truly, (not because of a bias,) just don't like one of the groups...even these people would probably like the same song done by the other group. Because they are different GROUPS, as similar as their songs can be, and because of their different "feel"s the song would actually seem different. (Can you imagine how AKB48 would have done Morning Coffee? [A song obviously littered with sexual innuendo which Momusu played down completely?] Or how MM would have done Seifuku ga Jama wo Suru? [As if it was about disagreeing with school dress code, perhaps?] Even if they sang the song with the exact notes and lyrics, it would just feel different. [Of course, the sex thing {hidden vs in the open} isn't the only difference between the groups' "feel"s, it's just the one of the obvious ones.])

Now, if you can seperate the music from the group it shouldn't be a problem. But a lot of people can't do that--part of the appeal of idol groups is the group itself, after all, not just the songs. (But it's possible--my mom really likes Morning Musume as a group--she says they make her happy to watch and always seem like they're having fun--but she doesn't like AKB48's "feel." She says that they don't seem like they're friends, so she doesn't like their aura. [<--just so no one jumps down my throat with "BUT THESE TWO ARE OBVIOUSLY BEST BUDS" please remember that this is my mom's opinion, not mine. :roll: ] She does, however, love Aitakatta, because she can easily seperate the music from the group. Of course, she's not a hardcore fan.)

I dunno, I just don't think it's fair to be like "this is the only reason why people wouldn't like them." I mean, when I really like something I can't understand why other people wouldn't like it, especially when it seems like they ought to, but the fact is that sometimes people honestly just don't enjoy something. And yeah, there are fans who are biased, and that's too bad for them because they're missing out on something awesome, but there are also fans who just aren't going to ever like the same things you do because they genuinely don't feel an affinity towards them. And like I said, I do agree with you that the bias thing is sometimes the case...but...yeah. Not always?

(Whoops, I wrote an essay. e_e; )

4. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

^ Many good points to be heard above.

I think it has to do with what you want from a idol group. Back when I was actively interested in Morning Musume, I enjoyed them because they were very accessible. They were on plenty of TV shows, including their own, there was always music coming out on a fairly regular basis, and the interaction of the girls was interesting to watch. Eventually, thanks to all kinds of factors, I stopped watching(read: downloading) these shows as life went on and I got out of that line of thinking. In comes AKB48. They really aren't on TV all that often(at least the few things I still watch), their level of interaction is not really seen too much, but now that I am out of that way of thinking, it doesn't bother me. If AKB48 had come out when I was really into Morning Musume, I would have thought "What a boring group of boring girls who do nothing to get my attention" and dismissed it immediately. Now, it's more about entertaining music above everything else.

What's my point? Uhhh, good question. B-) I guess it's just to show that it really depends on what you are looking for. Music? Member interation? Plentiful appearances? There's all kinds of things idols do to grab the attention of otaku.

5. transcendental_protagonis

transcendental_protagonis Kenkyuusei

CUTENESS, that's what matters

6. Twintails

Twintails Kenkyuusei

What made me love AKB48 originally was how well they performed as a group. Something about a ton of girls in matching uniforms shouting "AITAKATTA~!" simultaneously just warms my heart. XD

7. LAMAHdesu

LAMAHdesu Kenkyuusei

for me its TALENT ~ ..

8. CDevil

CDevil Member

:lol: You got that right.
    After taking a while to think about what I wrote (a while being 2 seconds) I agree with you. I didn't really take into account the "feel" of each group. For me I don't really get that "feel" (other than the usual "damn they're so cute" etc), perhaps it's something I'll get after a while. However I still don't think "feeling" is a good enough reason to make a sound judgement in a discussion, because it's something unique to you I'm assuming. If a MM fangirl/boy came up to me and said they didn't like AKB48 because they don't like the feeling they get when they see them, I'd probably give a blank stare and slowly walk away (the same goes for AKB48 fangirls/boys). It's not the kind of thing you bring up in a discussion on why AKB48 aren't a good group. Following on from what Datalanche said, a number of things need to be taken into consideration. I was probably blinded from this point though, because for me music always comes first, and I didn't consider a lot of other stuff that determines whether or not you like an idol group. No matter what group sings the song (out of MM and AKB48), if I like the song, chances are I'd still like it, regardless of dance routine, appearance etc.

It's harder to discuss this because no one here dislikes AKB48. If a hardcore MM fan who disliked AKB48 (as a whole) came here and said they're reasons for not liking them (whatever they may be), at the back of my mind, I'd still think they were being biased. So yeah I agree that individuals can honestly dislike AKB48 while not being biased (due to the feeling they get from each group), but at the moment I still don't think they can come up with an unbiased general opinion (that would be shared by others) on why AKB48 aren't a good group. For a hardcore MM fan, the "feeling" itself is probably due to them not wanting to accept a new group. If they can't find anything wrong with them, but still don't like them, they can just say it's a "feeling" they get, when in actual fact they're just being biased.

9. haruna_hamasaki

haruna_hamasaki Senbatsu Staff Member Studio48 Admin

the only thing that i can see between MM and AKB48 is singing style.
    there're many songs of AKB48 that involve ALL MEMBERS singing but not with MM.
    i also faced some critics from MM hardcore fans that they hate how AKB48 members sing together.

10. poke

poke Kenkyuusei

Well let them continue hating.

They don't realise how much fun they're missing out on. :D

11. Haunter

Haunter Kenkyuusei

Hmm... maybe they don't hate, just because they love MM so much and they don't want to know about other group. In there opinion, MM is the best.

12. Sanae

Sanae Kenkyuusei

^ I think so too!

What makes me like AKB48 more than MM is their songs and the cohesiveness of the group. Well, it's true that a song needs some members with good singing skills to lead but AKB48 gives more opportunities to other girls to sing than MM. Therefore there are more variations in their songs. It is boring to hear a lead singing most of the lines. Variation is what a group should bring out, in my opinion. There is no need to form a group if we got to hear only the lead's voices most of the time.

But still, it is no doubt that MM has good songs sometimes right? Just that I like the AKB48 system more, as an audience.

13. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

On a lighter note, "Bingo!" has been preordered! :) *does the support the artist dance*

14. freezingkiss

freezingkiss Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yuihan
    If its Talent then I'm guessing you aren't a morning musume fan. *laughs*

OH THE FUNNY.

For me it's APPEAL. =)

15. cRaZY MiKi

cRaZY MiKi Kenkyuusei

read from wota blog..
    team Himawari stage opening song is acapella WOW!

and the units...

"IDOL nante yobanaide"
    Acchan, Erenapyon, Tomoomi, Miichan

"????" <- wota didn't say the title
    Sayaka, Mariko, Tomochin, Saee, Nacchi, Noro Kayo

"Boku to JULIET to JULIETCOASTER" <- wota is unsure
    YUKO <3, Rinatin & Kojiharu

"JULIET ONGU" <- Semi-ballad..Wota is unsure about title again
    Takamina & Yuka

"????" <- wota unsure yet again
    Tomochin, Saee, Nachi

"????" <- wota unsure yet again
    Norokayo, Mariko, Sayaka, Maimai

16. Twintails

Twintails Kenkyuusei

KAAAAAYOOOOO~ <333

Takamina and Yuka-chan... Wow, that's going to be amazing. They have my two favorite voices in AKB48 by far.

Aah, I'm excited! @_@; Can't wait.

17. CDevil

CDevil Member

I'm really excited about these two. The first one because it's one of the most interesting units I've seen. And the second because it's a duet with two of the best singers in AKB48.

What's with the Juliet?

18. MMxERIC

MMxERIC Kenkyuusei

19. cRaZY MiKi

cRaZY MiKi Kenkyuusei

the wota's unsure of the title..
    maybe he thought he heard "juliet"

20. Sanae

Sanae Kenkyuusei

Nothing, they just put my name into song titles. ^ ^

The costumes look nice! However RUN RUN RUN seems weird, I mean the title. :lol:.