Okada Nana (Naachan) / 14th Generation

Discussion in 'AKB48 Graduated Members' started by Chaos48, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Nelke

Nelke Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takita Kayoko
    I see that a translation of her 60min doc has been done, are there any plans for the 90 min version as well?

2. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

Wasn’t Juri poked too for her eyes looking dead and like a fish? lol

3. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Lol yes -- that for me was a 'once you see it you can't unsee it' thing for early Juri :XD: Ariyoshi tsukkomi'd Yukarun for it too -- he is a tsukkomi, after all...

I don't remember the AKK EP number or anything, but back in the early days of pre-goddess Naachan she had a habit of staring unblinking at whomever was speaking to her, which IIRC is what Ariyoshi then tsukkomi'd.

4. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Thank you for the replies everyone! They're very helpful.

I will definitely check out her Thailand Nemousu episodes (I was around for those but didn't watch them) and the STU documentary when it comes out. It's not surprising she's not doing much variety work considering how packed her "being a senpai" schedule and performance schedules are.

I've been following Naachan since when this thread first opened :blush:, I definitely remember her early BINGO episodes and how they were pushing her majime character. I'm glad she's mostly broken away from that by now though. It's good to have a specific chara or use one to jumpstart a career but it tends to make some girls into a one-trick pony and that's not fun to watch after a while. I don't think she ever would have become this popular if she had ridden that horse into the sunset. You can see through the years how she fought to change people's perception of her, and she mentioned how she's not really majime in basically every interview. It's not very often that an idol tries to shake off the management-provided chara so she's a success story in that regard too.

5. PetalidiStelle

PetalidiStelle Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    These days I felt like watching some more Bingo episodes and they're precisely the first ones where Nana appears.
    It's touching to see her at the beginning and to think, what if she didn't get STU and ended up being graduated by now? So many wonderful things wouldn't have happened.
    I am very happy with all that happened last week and I hope Nana stays healthy. I am definitely buying her PB and I'm considering buying a copy of the 51st single.

6. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

Except she pretty much is...and that's not a bad thing! I can see from her perspective that maybe she thinks she's not doing as much as she could but from my outside perspective she's extremely hardworking and diligent. Psychologist Jordan Peterson would rate her highly in the conciousness/ industriosness trait I think.

7. Silenka

If you read her interviews she says stuff like she's super lazy at home and oversleeps, and if you watch her showrooms she loves to screw around with her sister/friend idols :^^;: She definitely puts her game face on for work, and she is very serious about work, but I think her point is that outside of work her natural character is not this super strict majime chara. Well, she has two sides and they're both real, let's put it that way. I think she wanted people not to ignore the more slow-going, fun-loving side of her.

There aren't enough idols that take the job so seriously in the 48g though, you keep seeing girls who don't take the unwritten idol rules as letter of the law. Even Takamina, who seemed to be a force of idol law unto herself, couldn't keep that up when her friend was in hot water for breaking the love ban. I wonder if Naachan would react the same way if one of her harem girls was caught :confused: Just how far could her majime go during work? She did have some episodes as a KKS when she was overly-strict about every little thing and annoyed her douki members, but she's lightened up a lot since then and is probably in a "perfect" spot now as far as strict/easygoing balance.

8. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

I don't disagree with you Silenka....but I think Nana's definition of laziness may be different from yours and mine :lol:

I love that Nana (and Juri) spoke out about the Riripon thing, they were standing up for their values of being an idol. I think if one of Nana's girls got in a scandal she'd be terribly disappointed. I think the fear of disappointing Nana will probably help keep them on the straight and narrow lol.

Also, she might have annoyed her gen-mates and team-mates (well mostly Miki, lets face it) but I think that subconciously the realized that someone needed to be like that. She's kind of like Captain America in the Avengers, someone needs to keep Hawkeye and Iron Man in line :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Naaruru

Naaruru Upcoming Girls

actually this is not fair comparing naachan to sayaka who already polished as a pro even before she join the group,
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTI2NzAwNjg0.html
    I still can't tell whether nachan voice is good or not back then at kenkyuusei era, but her lipsync is pretty bad :fear:

10. drazaar

drazaar Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    nagaomariya
    I fear the moment when one of her girls disappoints her so they must really feel it lol. She's just tooo caring~

11. vshav

vshav Member

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Kotoko
    Man, she totally deserves it. I think she has the capacity to revive the 48 franchise against the Sakamichis. Her work ethics is very good, and she's a good leader too. I think lots of members can get positively influenced by her.

12. Rurouni

Rurouni Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

She had two days off, so there was nothing to report related to work. She did talk about her solocon setlist.

She thought about various ideas, like doing a medley of 7 sousenkyo songs (*thank god that it didn't go that way!) and also about doing famous song from 1997 (her birth year).
    In the end, she settled to a setlist that mostly contain dark, rock, and ballad songs and the only cute song is Nanakii. The staff asked "Do you really want to do this?" (*probably because the set list is unusual).

The setlist has different block/act. The first one is about the important song for her, thus
    M01 Kangaeru Hito
    M02 Mushi no Ballad
    M03 Coin Toss

Second block is about existence(?) (うむ) and basically the dark block song. The songs are
    M04 Getsuyoubi no Asa, Skirt wo Kirareta (Keyakizaka46 song)
    M05 Kayoubi no Yoru, Suiyoubi no Asa
    M06 10 Krone to Pan
    M07 I'm crying
    M08 Inochi no Imi (start with an acappella with piano accompaniment + a female dancer)

Third block is about songs related to love. When watching Youtube, she had an idea to do the songs with only guitar or piano accompaniment. Although the songs are about love, but they each expressing different kind of love, thus she was working hard to also change her expression when performing each song so the audience can feel the difference.
    M09 Darashinai Aishikata (with piano acoompaniment)
    M10 Dare no koto ga Ichiban Aishiteru? (acoustic guitar accompaniment)
    M11 Mata Anata no koto wo Kangaeta (piano and violin accompaniment)
    M12 Kimi ni Tsuite (acoustic guitar accompaniment)

After that the only cute song in the setlist. She did it because a lot of fans are asking her to do it during HS. She probably won't do it again.
    M13 Nanakii

Fouth (5th?) block is the dance block. She is always running away from dance stuff (*probably declined to be selected in dance senbatsu) because she felt her dance is not good. She created this dance block to face it.
    M14 Me wo Aketa Mama no First Kiss
    M15 Akai Pinheel to Professor
    M16 Juujun na Slave
    M17 She's gone

After those songs, she performed
    M18 Tsukikage (Yamamoto Sayaka song)

For the encore, she chose to sing her favorite songs other than AKB songs. Solo privilege (; ω;)
    EN01 GLAMOROUS SKY (Nakashima Mika song - NANA live action movie theme song)
    EN02 Don't say "lazy" (Houkago Tea Time/K-ON!)
    EN03 DAYS (FLOW - Eureka Seven OP)
    -----
    Anyway, her explanation/story ended at that. Also this is only a summary, not a direct translation. There are some stuff that I don't include like when writing that "NANA" on the mirror she ended up using all of her lipstick. She redo it multiple times until the result was good enough.

For the last 2 songs, they were
    EN04 Magirashite iru (Watanabe Mayu)
    EN05 Ikiru Koto

Looking at the setlist again, her song choice is definitely unusual and probably risky. Lots of songs that the audience probably don't know and didn't expect. I remember someone (Japanese) on twitter was asking about what song that people think in Naachan setlist because she want to come to the concert prepared. Looking at the current setlist, probably those people suggestions were useless. It doesn't contain any TTMC songs, not the really popular T4(ish) songs (Love Shugyou, Seijun Philosophy). Only 3 songs that actually have her in the senbatsu (Kangaeru Hito, Coin Toss, and Dare no koto ga Ichiban Aishiteru?). Compared to the other solocon setlist, Naachan setlist is definitely the hardest to predict.

I'm also thinking about what that NikkanSports reporter said. Of course I still don't think that one moment where Naachan did her solocon was the thing that made her center, but maybe it wasn't just about when she performed her solocon but during the whole process. In that sense, Naachan solocon might be the deciding factor. If anyone watched AKB Kouhaku, Naachan role was really small in it. On AKB new year theater performance, they didn't give her a solo center (only double center with Miion and Miion herself and also Yuiyui got a solo center). When they revealed Naachan as the center for the 9th album (Dec 27), I felt it was more of a gift from management (finally becoming a center) so they can appoint another member as the center for 51st single. I do think that Naachan was in management shortlist for center but the vibe that I got leading up to the 51st single announcement was that management trying to push Miion and Yuiyui hard so if you ask me back then, Miion would probably centered the 51st single (Yuiyui if management doesn't mind AKB missing performing live on a night music show). That Mizuki Nana VTR was definitely a surprise (Naachan didn't plan it) and I don't know who arranged that, but I'm guessing that it was probably KingRecords. She probably really impressed someone that they made the VTR happen. Also Naachan said that the center appointment was a surprise for her. This is probably the first time since a very long time that the center for the next single only know about it during the announcement. Even when they announced TwI senbatsu, I believe they (or at least Miion) knows that she was the center way before the announcement was made.
    Anyway, that is just a pure speculation. Management might have planned for Naachan to be the 51st single center since a long time ago. I certainly want to know when and why they chose Naachan as the center considering she is almost nonexistent in 48G related shows and the fact that they are pushing Miion and Yuiyui heavily.

13. Silenka

I'm of an opposite mindset, I think they plan these things so well in advance and there's so much input from agencies that they must have decided Naachan beforehand (imagine deciding someone else first and then telling their agency "actually we're switching it and your girl isn't center anymore.."). I think they made her role small in previous events to keep her from being overworked and give other girls more chances to shine. And I also think they've wanted her to focus on making STU the best group it can be rather than taking up all her time in AKB. But STU is looking pretty good now imo...from the little I've seen of them... you can definitely see Naachan's influence.

As for Naachan's solo concert, personally what I think about it:

Block 1 is of course reflective of the title of the concert "Things Important to me", though I wonder why Mushi no ballad is?
    Block 2 shows off her good taste, picking 10Krone and the 2 best songs from A6 (one of my favorite stages) :p
    Block 3 also has some good songs although Kimi ni tsuite is a surprise, can't wait to hear how she sings such a floaty ballad.
    Block 4 is great just for Pinheel though Juujun na slave is an...interesting choice...lol
    She picked my absolute favorite Sayanee song :eek: It's like magic!
    And the anime songs she picked are god-tier, and fit her voice really well so no complaints there!

(Also she thinks her dancing is bad? isn't it one of the best in the group? so humble lol)

14. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ Agree. Taking an entire generation and new group, and molding them to your example, your guidance, your heart... has to be immensely hard but also equally gratifying when progress is made. I know Naachan chose this kind of challenge, because it was hard. Kitarie and Sasshi know well how emotional it is to see 30+ girls under your care who love you and whom you love, shine and succeed, using skills you taught them, not just to survive, but thrive.

Naachan said once (can't remember where off the top of my head)... that she's the kind of person that performs better the more you yell at her. That's someone that doesn't expect society to mold to their whims and weaknesses... but can feel the yeller's urgency and tough love, and make it her own. She'd have made an excellent soldier... and growing up in Kanagawa, I can see the connection (I think we can all thank our particular deities that didn't happen, though [hehe]).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  15. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Wow thanks a lot Rurouni.

And about your considerations... i think the same way, I guess even for Naachan’s fans it was a surprise...

But i am really happy that mgm decided that way! Let’s make her center single become a success, so this is not the first and last time!!!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

16. mils

mils Kenkyuusei

Hi, first time posting but I lurk the forum and this thread since a little over a year ago.

Was honestly expecting Naachan to be Wcenter with Mion for the SSK voting single, now it will most likely be Mion and someone else.

I believe they told them right before everyone joined Sayanee, Yuihan and Yukirin during the MC and the VTR with the announcement started. If you look at them, Naachan enters restraining a smile, Sasshi goes directly to her with a smile on her face, tells her something and Naachan lets out a shy chuckle (maybe she congratulated her). Komi also enters smiling and Megu looking sad.

I also agree with Silenka, management plans this out a lot, for example Komi's new push started with WIP mid last year. Naachan's only been growing since she started and last year has been nothing short of amazing for her; she also got great positions during December's TV live performances and Mayuyu's grad concert, in a way that gave her exposure, even if she was on second row or one person away from Mayu on first row. Not to mention the all the deserved attention she got from fans and the media with all the events that happened last week.
    In the last few months management has done everything to really put her on the map and stablish her as the soon to be AKB's top member and face of the new era.

She sung it solo on Team 4's National Tour on 2014, as far as I know that was the first time she was alone on the stage on a real concert, so maybe that's why.

Management is certainly aware of the somewhat deep pockets of Naachan's fans: the solocon and its merch, album center, single center, STU's single, photobook and also we need to save money for SSK, all that in five months is certainly a lot!

And sorry for the long rant :^^;:

17. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    I don’t agree with you guys saying the knew.. if Naachan said she didn’t knew why should we doubt her.. she would just be silent about and don’t lie for us. And also Yumirin cried a lot, if they knew before hand as you are suggesting than yumirin and yuiri, yuuri, macharin are a hella of actresses...

I prefer to think they wouldn’t te us lies if they have the chance to don’t talk about it. Maybe they said it had a chance to happen this year to Naachan and that is what I thought, bit never so soon..

About Naachan pushes, she was only replacing Sayanee on shows, when Sayanee appeared she returned to her place as usual in the formation.

Also the only push i see is the center for the album... but that because Naachan popularity was increasing..

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

18. sano21

sano21 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    koindosu
    To be honest, as new fan and more. I didnt expect at all naachan being center too soon. My friend who know more stuff, always talk about the push member for me. I expect mion, yuiyui, or senbatsu member already have quo status being new single center. I'm happy naachan has a push for new chapter on AKB.nk

And thank rurouni for solocon review, kind interesting.

I'm excited what will going on the SSK this year. Who will be on kami7.

19. Silenka

Well it's important to understand that this is showbusiness, white lies go hand in hand with showmanship. It's like a magic trick, if you know everything that goes on behind the scenes it's not interesting anymore. Regardless, whether she knew beforehand or not doesn't really matter. This conversation has mainly been revolving around whether she replaced another member as center at the last minute thanks to the wide coverage of her solo concert.

20. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

Probably secretly Ogiyuka though she's not an AKB member. I mean, from that photo, Ogiyuka looks straight up frustrated. She should be crying like that if she's not included but she is.